Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
High School DxD (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 21, 2015 6:48 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The final was meh ... but i laughed so fkin hard at Issei singing with the kids the Oppai Song i was LITERALLY ROFLing.

Anyway, was still enjoyable but slightly disappointing compared to the first 2 season.
And no, i didnt read the LN so i'm not gonna be one of those who cry because it didnt follow the LN.
The first 2 seasons was an easy 8, but this one i'm giving a 7.
DatRandomDudeJun 21, 2015 7:03 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 21, 2015 6:59 PM
May 2015
After actually watching the ep.....the finale was meh. Issei just screamed her name till she got free and then OHK the clone (horribly cliche). S4 is a 50/50, it felt like a "The adventures continue but no more story" type of thing....
Jun 21, 2015 7:00 PM

Apr 2011
Damn it! Wasn't nearly as good as the second or first season. It did pretty well till episode 11 and 12. According to butt hurt LN readers it skipped tons of awesomeness. From what I spoiled for myself via wiki, it did. Oh well, let's hope season 4 can pull magic tits out of it's ass.
Golden_DarknezzJun 21, 2015 7:04 PM
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Jun 21, 2015 8:05 PM

Mar 2015
Kind of disappointed overall but it seems like they wanted to end it here. 7/10
Jun 21, 2015 8:09 PM
Jun 2015
The last episode is kind of disappointing because it was rushed and not explained very well.... and I'm sure that there will be a season 4 to this one because they did not explain everything and remember that Issei didn't battle Vali and the "Red Dragon" and the reason why Draig and Albion are fighting for. so definitely there will be a season 4..... Just saying :)
Jun 21, 2015 8:58 PM

Sep 2011
That two shoulder bazooka and the kiss really good ep execpt that memory loss......that makes the progression of the last 3 ep seem not much. I guess they saving that for season 4 (yes, i read the spoiler).

Overall a very good season the JD story arc is my top dxd story next to ex girlfriend and holly sword kiba. 8/10.

Oh this season also have a very kickass sountracks. Now waiting for the eng dub....
Jun 21, 2015 9:28 PM

Jan 2015
welp, i finally buckled and spent the last 2 days binge-reading volumes 1-12 (will finish tomorrow...really wish they wouldn't list short-story collections as volumes...8 should have been 7.5, everything from 13 should have been in 12.5, etc...not a huge deal but i originally thought i would be reading 19 normal volumes so i was a bit miffed when i realized this was not the case)... haven't watched episode 12 yet but the changes through the first 11 episodes were definitely more significant than i previously would have thought...i don't have a huge problem with it personally because if you think about it, it would take like another decade to faithfully adapt the entire series (not counting all future volumes as well) if they don't cut corners...reading the comments it looks like they reveal triaina and leave out the otherworldy tit god, and judging by the screenshots on the first page it looks like they fast-forward through all the rias/issei/self-doubt drama...having read the novels after watching this season, i can say that the efficient way that they compressed all the separate events events in volumes 5-7 (sans the last 3 episodes) was actually pretty genius, and if i hadn't read the novels i definitely wouldn't have realized that it was that rushed...will definitely be interesting to see how they adapt the next arc given how they've rearranged the chronology...since they've revealed triaina and more or less resolved the issei/rias drama (i'm just assuming this last part because i haven't watched the episode yet) then the sairaorg rating game will have basically no significance other than minor exposition and character development...will have to introduce regulus and have issei win but they probably wont go into sairaorg's backstory with his mother/bael family politics etc...the way things unfold in the novels is superior, but having watched the anime first i can say that i definitely enjoyed the entire series up to the last 3 episodes regardless...so from an anime-only standpoint it's been a success...i definitely can see where the LN purists are coming from at this point but it's been enjoyable for me either way, so i will look forward to season 4
IceTaKuJun 21, 2015 9:43 PM
Jun 21, 2015 9:50 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah the author and the staff did skip and change some things from the LN. First season was better in my opinion, second season was decent but it's kinda forgettable but still okay, and the third wasn't very good. I mean it feels like they wanted to end the series in this season, I also feel like they tried to turn this season into some romance anime but I can't take the romance seriously. Season 3 didn't have the magic and excitement like the first two seasons had in my opinion because season 3 was pretty boring and kinda dull. 4 out 10.
Jun 21, 2015 9:52 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Darklight0303 said:
Todd_ said:
As someone who's never read the LN's, I thought this season was just fine. Plus, with the author at the helm, I have no worries whatsoever.

The end was kind of predictable though. The battle went really quick, then the rest of it was merely reflection and whatnot.

I will laugh at all the nay sayers when the inevitable season 4 arrives.

The season as a whole though was good, I think I'll give it an 8. I gave season two a 9, and season one a 10. Hopefully when season four gets here the score doesn't drop to a 7.

Must be good to live in ignorance. That way you never see the shit you're being fed when it could have been a delicacy
You're slowly turning into Fai now...Please don't start -_- Why is Ophis the only LN purist that can put his personal bias aside for once?

Anyway, after watching the subs I really don't see what the big deal is about this new move for Issei because

1. It only lasted for like 5 seconds

2. They literally gave no explanation as to what it was and what it's specs are and only hinted at it at the end

3. Therefore in a sense this was foreshadowing for what's to come in S4 (Anyone who honestly thinks that we won't get one must be in some serious denial) that way the buildup towards this move can somewhat remain in tact but with obvious changes

I also liked how they made Issei and Rias essentially forget this whole matter too and I dunno if I'm right or not, but this whole thing with Issei calling her by her first name, I think somebody said in a past thread that this kind of event happens later so since they don't remember some specific scenes then it can still happen normally just slightly different

Either way, it was a decent finale and even though it's definitely the weakest of the three seasons I still liked it more than S1 but not on the same level of enjoyment as I had with S2 so I'll give it the same rank I gave S1

8/10 for me
TokoyaJun 21, 2015 9:55 PM
Jun 21, 2015 10:16 PM

Apr 2008
Forgetting the whole matter renders the entirety of these past three episodes UTTERLY POINTLESS. They could have had the three legged race and the whole ritual of the Gremory clan to fill up those three episode instead they went with fanfiction level of writing.

Mod Note: The next exchange featured a lot of unnecessary quote towers. If there are no intervening posts between yours and the person you are responding to, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUILD A QUOTE TOWER! I have removed the unnecessary quotes.
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:11 AM
Jun 21, 2015 10:20 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013

Forgetting the whole matter renders the entirety of these past three episodes UTTERLY POINTLESS. They could have had the three legged race and the whole ritual of the Gremory clan to fill up those three episode instead they went with fanfiction level of writing.[/quote]They were anime original anyway and judging by how they adapted everything else this season, nothing was really that well adapted according to you guys, so would you rather them do what they did and not mess up canon much or would you want more rushed content?

Plus if they could have done this instead of this anime original stuff, doesn't that mean that they can still do some of what you mentioned in S4?

And I see this whole arc as slight foreshadowing more or less rather than fanfiction but I could have done without it tbh

EDIT: Can somebody tell me the lyrics of the oppai dragon song? Stupid Funi or whoever did the subs didn't translate it and I can imagine that it'll be even more hilarious with the lyrics xD
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:07 AM
Jun 21, 2015 10:32 PM

Apr 2008

I defended this adaptation until they changed the method to get Issei out of Juggernaut Drive moment where they stopped following the novel entirely
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:07 AM
Jun 21, 2015 10:32 PM

May 2015
Why did they just fucked up good content, Guess that's it for S4 then.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2015 10:33 PM

Mar 2014
Not impressive enough

I expected more from them !! (=3=)
Jun 21, 2015 10:51 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Darklight0303 said:

I defended this adaptation until they changed the method to get Issei out of Juggernaut Drive moment where they stopped following the novel entirely
What? I read a summary of that scene and in all honesty, I prefer the anime version way more because:

Mod Edit: Quote tower placed in first spoiler.
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:14 AM
Jun 21, 2015 10:56 PM

Apr 2008
Tokoya said:
What? I read a summary of that scene and in all honesty, I prefer the anime version way more because:

rodacJun 29, 2015 2:15 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:12 PM

Jan 2015

i'm not nearly as attached to the oppai song as all the other LN readers appear to be...it makes for half decent comic relief at various different points in the novels but the song itself isn't terribly clever or anything...i dont know if it rhymes in japanese but in english there's nothing remotely catchy about it...i mean, it was pretty funny when Great Red did the zoom zoom iyaaan bit in volume 12, but the introduction of the song during the juggernaut drive wasn't even that funny...i'm all for juxtaposition but the oppai dragon song bringing him out of a state of full-blown rage just felt hella out-of-place...but i also watched the anime before reading the books and knew coming into that chapter that the song was supposed to snap him out of it, so that may have lessened the surprise value for me and ruined the joke...reading all the negative feedback about leaving the song out, i actually expected it to be clever but was supremely let down...on another note, vali doesnt use juggernaut drive in the book to lessen the power, he just uses the diving gear, so i really have no idea why they bothered to add that in the anime...maybe they just had a boner for the hakuryuukou JD chant and decided to add it for that reason alone...its not really a negative, i just dont understand why they bothered animating it...seems like a waste of budget to me, especially considering he uses it on multiple occasions in the future anyways
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:16 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:24 PM

Jan 2015
Darklight0303 said:

LOL you're hella overstating the consequences here...the fact that the song is what snapped him out of it specifically has nothing to do with their mental states...being the oppai dragon in general is the issue, not the song...and any way you look at it, the issue of their mental states is almost entirely used as minor comic relief in the LN...draig has to get a counselor and take medication but there are never any serious consequences to it other than that...the entire draig mental state issue was written into the novels as pure comic relief fodder so you could get a chuckle whenever he cries about being the chichiryuutei

even if you consider it inferior, the idea that you would go out of your way to say vastly inferior is fucking hilarious
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:17 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:26 PM

Apr 2008
It's also the reason why the two dragons forget about their eternal feud. SO no the consequences are great in long term
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:17 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:29 PM

Jan 2015
either way this is all brought about by him being the oppai dragon in general...it doesnt have anything to do with the song specifically...yes the song precipitates the oppai dragon stuff in the novel but the way they wrote it in the anime he ends up being called the oppai dragon without the song anyway (plus they will definitely use the song at some point wither way)

also, i don't really view the forgetting about the feud bit as that big of a deal anyways...it was made obvious by the time that happens in the novels that neither issei nor vali had any actual killing intent toward the other so whenever they end up going at it, neither of them was going to end up dead...vali wants a fight for the ages, issei just wants to surpass his rival, but neither of them is going to be any worse off for it...in fact i would view it as something very similar to issei vs. sairaorg, just on a larger scale
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:18 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:32 PM

Apr 2008

The way they wrote it in the anime is disjointed and half assed is what it is. Heck even Rias' role as the SWITCH princess which becomes her own source of distress was completely cut out as well. This anime went to hell after Shalba was removed from play. This is fact.
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:18 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:35 PM

Jan 2015
who says he was removed from play?

Mod Edit: Spoiler Tags added.
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:21 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:37 PM

Apr 2008

I said removed from play to prevent SPOILERS! =_+
Jun 21, 2015 11:40 PM

Jan 2015

okay, but why bring him up at all? he literally serves like 2 purposes and neither of them depend on it being him instead of any other guy...what theyve done with shalba in the anime is no different than what happens in the LN to this point
Jun 21, 2015 11:43 PM

Apr 2008

Because that was the point where the anime started deviating. AFter Shalba was removed from play
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:22 AM
Jun 21, 2015 11:44 PM

Jan 2015

then just say "after episode 9" what the hell? :D it sounded like you were taking issue with what they did to shalba as if they had shown his smoldering corpse or something
rodacJun 29, 2015 2:22 AM
Jun 22, 2015 12:38 AM
Jul 2018
Holy Quotations
Jun 22, 2015 12:39 AM

Apr 2008
IceTaKu said:

then just say "after episode 9" what the hell? :D it sounded like you were taking issue with what they did to shalba as if they had shown his smoldering corpse or something

Except the problems started MID episode 9 not after it
Jun 22, 2015 1:31 AM

Apr 2010
Even as an anime only viewer this season was bad IMO. Nowhere near as enjoyable as other seasons, animation was significantly lower. Overall just lacklustre. 4/10.
Jun 22, 2015 3:54 AM
Nov 2010
Another fine season and I'll watch the next one if it occurs.
Jun 22, 2015 5:53 AM

Jan 2015
Darklight0303 said:
IceTaKu said:

Except the problems started MID episode 9 not after it

except for vali randomly going into JD and using rias instead of the oppai dragon song to snap issei out it, everything in the rest of the episode was pseudo-canon...the vali JD bit was just unnecessary but harmless overkill and like i said previously, whether the song snaps him out of it or not, they've already established him as the oppai dragon in a previous episode so ddraig can still do his hormonal comic relief bit...anyways the misunderstanding was caused by the way you worded it, not because of the specific scene you referenced
Jun 22, 2015 6:03 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Okay this quoting line is way too long lol so I'll just save everyone the trouble of having to look at it lol

@Darklight

@ Icetaku, I agree wholeheartedly with it being out of place, the scene clearly had a serious tone and for them to play that wacky sing would have been a slap in the face to everyone....
Jun 22, 2015 6:10 AM

Apr 2008
Tokoya said:
Okay this quoting line is way too long lol so I'll just save everyone the trouble of having to look at it lol

@Darklight

@ Icetaku, I agree wholeheartedly with it being out of place, the scene clearly had a serious tone and for them to play that wacky sing would have been a slap in the face to everyone....

You're both goddamn morons if you think that was out of place given the PRICE Fafnir takes every time he comes out during battle later down the line. Hell the END of season two. That whole Rant from Issei. By your warped standards that was out of place too. THat's pretty much on tier with the Oppai Song snapping Issei out of JD like it did in the novels. Seriously stop pretending like the silliness is bad. But hey it's much better to see Rias get slapped around like a ragdoll and have her uniform get completely ripped at her chest. CLEARLY SO MUCH MORE SERIOUS AND PROPER! Stupid.

Also Vali lost his moments of awesome when they butchered the whole thing with Loki. You should stop relying on summaries and actually get off your ass and read the damn novels.
Darklight0303Jun 22, 2015 6:22 AM
Jun 22, 2015 7:03 AM
Jul 2018
The only reason they even had Vali go JD in that scene was so we could see what it was like for compensation of butchering his parts in volume 7. It's funny how in the beginning of the season I thought volume 5 would be the one effected the most, but ironically in the end, 7 was the one that got absolutely trashed.

Regardless, I do think the way they handled episode 9 was "better" in the anime, however it falls out of character for DxD. This series is known for hilarious oppai shenanigans and this season basically removed the two biggest scenes for those in favor of a more serious tone. Normally I'd be okay with this, but next season will only have 1 funny scene with them, and the rest is back to drama with Rias, which again, is what they needlessly spent half this season on.

TNK forgot what made DxD fun after episode 3 basically.
Jun 22, 2015 7:27 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Darklight0303 said:
Tokoya said:

@Darklight

You're both goddamn morons if you think that was out of place given the PRICE Fafnir takes every time he comes out during battle later down the line. Hell the END of season two. That whole Rant from Issei. By your warped standards that was out of place too. THat's pretty much on tier with the Oppai Song snapping Issei out of JD like it did in the novels. Seriously stop pretending like the silliness is bad. But hey it's much better to see Rias get slapped around like a ragdoll and have her uniform get completely ripped at her chest. CLEARLY SO MUCH MORE SERIOUS AND PROPER! Stupid.

Also Vali lost his moments of awesome when they butchered the whole thing with Loki. You should stop relying on summaries and actually get off your ass and read the damn novels.
Lmao you must be joking xD

1. You can't compare that half boobs thing to this scene at all because first of all, the circumstances behind both scenes are completely different. Vali was attempting to kill Issei using his special ability which would have subsequently fucked up the terrain and possibly kill others at the same time and so Azazel told Issei that lie to get him enraged and make him stronger so that he can match his strength whereas in this scene in S3 Issei just straight up went berserk (Full mindless madman is a more correct term) solely due to the fact that the mental strain of losing Asia and being completely powerless and just too weak in order to save her took a big toll on him psychologically and as such he couldn't differentiate between friend or foe (Heck everyone in sight was fair game for being killed)

2. The reason why that half boob thing worked is because it actually served a logical purpose....Issei's strength comes from his resolve/his love for boobs (Mainly Rias')and his desire to be the harem king....Even though it was funny, nothing about that would take anything away from the tone because that's Issei's character....You mess with his Oppai and he will fuck you up....Whereas in this case....Come on dude, we all heard the song background music and voice acting included....That's like me suddenly playing I had sex during a business meeting

3. You're vastly exaggerating this whole Rias being thrown around thing....Like what....Did you expect a berserk Issei that literally has lost all forms of sanity and logic to just stand there and bake Rias a cake?

>Getting hit once whereas the only sign damage is from said character's shirt = Getting slapped around like a ragdoll
>Complains about clothes being ripped in an ecchi series (One of the leading and most ecchi ones at that) when it did absolutely nothing to affect the scene since said unstable character was still Berserk, stilling going through extreme mental rape and said victim was still emotionally distraught

Yup, absolutely nothing about Vali showing Issei who's the man by not only going in a complete Juggernaut Drive and then successfully make said Berserk Juggernaut Drive Issei look like a joke by owning his ass is badass at all xD His smug attitude also didn't help at all since that's completely out of character

And nice try but going by Icetaku said (Somebody who also read the LN) everything that I stated from said summary is actually true so yeahhhhhh xD

Just stop
Jun 22, 2015 7:35 AM

Sep 2011
Boring final episode, very underwhelming and disappointing.

I don't read the LN so I don't know what all the changes were but I do know that this final arc was anime original but don't understand why they changed it from the LN if they were just going to have Issei forget what happened in this last arc, completely pointless.

Hopefully for me the manga will continue to folow the LN route and not do what this anime adaption did.
Jun 22, 2015 7:42 AM

Jul 2012
I thought this was an anime discussion and not a comparison with the novel.

At last the group is complete. The last episode felt kinda rushed, but what can you expect from only 12 episodes. Looking forward to a 4th season! 8/10 for me.
Jun 22, 2015 11:09 AM

Jul 2014
I think the previous seasons were better.
Jun 22, 2015 11:31 AM

Nov 2013
Ugh. Hamfisted all the drama they could, underwhelming action scenes, and lack of comedy. But I guess uncensored boobs makes it okay - at least some fans think so.
Jun 22, 2015 2:57 PM

Feb 2013
I think you are already a harem king If 5 Girls are sleeping naked with you every Night
Jun 22, 2015 3:30 PM

Dec 2013
That ending was pretty anti climatic -_-

That oppai dragon song was hilarious. It's too bad we didn't get to see Issei dance while singing it :(

The Valkyrie chick joining was random af!

Overall I have mixed feeling for this season. While I do agree that the last two episodes were shit I still overall enjoyed the season. But I think it's probably the weakest of the three season so a 6/10
Jun 22, 2015 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
The rating for this season is dropping like the stock market.
Jun 22, 2015 4:08 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Ophis said:
I was concerned about that as well but the other seasons aren't ranked that high either =/
Jun 22, 2015 4:08 PM

Apr 2008
Ophis said:

That really shouldn't come as a surprise
Jun 22, 2015 4:30 PM

Sep 2013
All the drama was tiring. Meh
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jun 22, 2015 4:42 PM

Jul 2013
I have always loved Highschool DXD since season 1 started and since then it has lived up to my expectations. However, this season it seems REALLY rushed like if there was soo much missing scenes and when some characters died, you don't feel that sympathy because within 60 seconds they revive or a happy conclusion is used.

At the end I still rate it 8/10 still enjoyable to watch with many cut scenes as the story is easy to follow. In addition, there seems to be more fan service than previous seasons, I dont mind fan service but this season has taken a bit too much and would be better to reduce it and include more screen time for a chapter.

SEASON 4 or OVA, I am waiting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2015 4:59 PM

Aug 2014
this one was harder to watch then the last 2. This season so far was my least favorite.
Jun 22, 2015 7:18 PM

Apr 2014
lol, cue the next anime to be criticized for not following the source material verbatim.
Jun 22, 2015 7:45 PM

Jan 2015
Darklight0303 said:
Tokoya said:

@Darklight

i'm not saying the ridiculous ecchi moments are bad at all...they are a defining trait of the series...however, comparing a state of what basically amounts to unfathomable rage over asia's death to the fucking pantsu dragon is ridiculous...they aren't even remotely comparable...imagine if your friend was just shot dead in front of you and you're in shock...now some random idiot walks up to you and says "oppai"....are you seriously gonna start giggling and snap out of it? no fucking way, pervert or not, that shit ain't happening
Jun 22, 2015 8:45 PM

Sep 2014
Fucking horrible episode. Horrible season in general. Fuck, this pissed me off SOOOO much, it's not even funny. >.>
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High School DxD BorN Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2015

142 by RorySweeting »»
Apr 30, 1:55 AM

» Is Highschool DxD anti-religious?

Hotdogmaniac - Apr 5, 2015

39 by ANIMESOULSPIRIT »»
Apr 29, 1:49 PM

Poll: » High School DxD BorN Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 16, 2015

144 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 10, 11:00 AM

Poll: » High School DxD BorN Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 9, 2015

135 by FedeMetal »»
Apr 10, 9:51 AM

» The last three episodes are filler

5hyguy - Feb 24

16 by adityakush_477 »»
Mar 28, 12:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.