Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 18, 2015 12:15 PM

Apr 2013
For July's nomination, I pick some random short manga from Hidden Gems manga club, Kaikisen / Return to the Sea. Honestly I don't have any idea about how good/bad this series is, but most manga in the club's relation list are pretty good so far so.. yeah...
Jul 18, 2015 12:57 PM

Aug 2009

Oh, I read that one. It's by Kon, so I was intrigued to see what he could create in the manga form. I won't spoil anything since it could get picked, but let's just say that art is by far the strongest aspect of the manga, while I found some other things to be heavy-handed. If it gets picked, it'll be interesting to read how others will experience it.
metamorphiusJul 18, 2015 1:02 PM
Jul 18, 2015 1:23 PM

Oct 2011
Cool, looks like we got a big group for this thread's revival. Guess we'll find out our manga in a couple of hours.
Jul 18, 2015 4:26 PM

Feb 2008
The moment you've been waiting for (plus one hour over). The manga for the month of July is...

Jul 18, 2015 6:07 PM

Feb 2013
Oh man i read this one a few weeks ago, god dammit! Welp, time to re-read.
Jul 22, 2015 11:36 AM

Apr 2012
Kakukaku Shikajika was something that I personally really enjoyed. The drama or events didn't feel overplayed as though a fictitious rendition of real life events. Sure there may be touched up details here and there but overall the narrative and string of events was realistic enough. The very honest nature of the manga played well to its strengths and only made any emotional impact that much stronger and more genuine. The tone of the manga is quite calming and the humor didn't aim to make you laugh heartily but to at least make you smile. The reading it felt like it was a story told over a cup of coffee from a friend, it felt personal and intimate.

I enjoyed it a lot, and have to thank Meta for nominating it. This kind of manga is right up my alley.

Jul 23, 2015 3:18 AM
May 2015
http://myanimelist.net/manga/1076/Ares

Ares, has a great compelling story, enjoyable read from start to finish with good character development, and a nice adventure.

Scander96Jul 23, 2015 3:24 AM
Jul 23, 2015 5:15 AM

Feb 2008
^ Ares is a 26 volume manga/manwha. The 5 volume rule is flexible, but you can't nominate something that's 5 times that length, it's unreasonable and people won't read it for the monthly activity.

Jul 23, 2015 7:25 AM

Feb 2013
Re-reading the manga made me feel even worse when i finished it weeks ago. Knowing what will happen made me even sadder than before.

Jul 28, 2015 12:47 AM

Aug 2009
Exinqt said:

I KNOW, RIGHT! RIGHT?

Oh, well, it was pretty much heavily foreshadowed from the first volume, but it still was very impactful.

I try to not get my hopes up with manga/anime/whatever, but ever since Kakukaku Shikajika (hereinafter referred to as Kaku²) won the Taisho Award, I was saying to myself that I really should get around to reading it. To put things into perspective, some of the previous winners are Chihayafuru, Silver Spoon, Otoyomegatari, Sangatsu no Lion from the author of Honey and Clover (do I notice a pattern of female mangaka here :D). Plus, I’m familiar with Akiko Higashimura through Kuragehime and her often self-deprecating sense of humour somehow always gets me. And Kaku² damn well delivered, as this was definitely my favourite manga in the readalong project. It was so genuine and honest, whether it makes you laugh, cry or want to travel in the past to punch the protagonist (like she herself does). At times, the manga can be text-heavy, but that never personally bothered me and I hope it won't turn away anyone from this manga.

Now, if you'll excuse me...after I bawl my eyes out, I'm going to catch up with Kuragehime and start Toukyo Tarareba Musume.

EDIT:
I wouldn't mind buying Kaku². I wonder if it will ever get licensed.
metamorphiusJul 28, 2015 12:57 AM
Jul 30, 2015 10:42 PM

Apr 2012
If it's possible to nominate 2 manga at the same time I would like to nominate Japan as Viewed by 17 Creators. It's interesting to see how Japanese authors' views differ from the French in regards to viewing Japan.
Jul 31, 2015 4:05 AM

Oct 2012
Finished Kakukaku. Damn.

Shout out to meta for such a wonderful recommendation. Times like these make me glad that this thread is still around.

When I started reading this manga, I didn't think I'd really feel anything emotionally. The start isn't emotionally charged enough to alarm me of how affected I would later become. Sure, it foreshadows some melancholy but it doesn't really give us a reason to care at first. There is a sense of loss but we as readers don't know how bad the loss really is.

I guess that's the charm of this manga. The feelings slowly creep in. The metafictional devices and the lighthearted artistic style allow the emotional core to grow unnoticed (for me at least.) And the likability of the characters gave me reason to be invested in the story. Which was essential since the emotions in this manga are surprisingly raw. Like, really raw. Like, she must've been crying while drawing the last volume.

Jul 31, 2015 5:19 AM

Aug 2011
I think what makes the ending so sad is the way things were left between the two. You could feel the shame and regret the mangaka still has to this very day. I also really liked how expressive the mangaka draws her characters. There was a plethora of facial expressions that made it very fun to read. And her willingness to mock her younger self.
Jul 31, 2015 3:04 PM

Feb 2008
Well, guess what - the manga for the month of August is

We need new nominations btw, since we're running kind of low, but at least we've got things covered on time this month :D.

Aug 1, 2015 2:45 AM

Aug 2009
It's about damn time not simple got picked. Ducat should be pleased. Since I already read not simple (and liked it a lot), I'll use the month to read the only manga in the readalong project I skipped - Terra E.

EDIT:
Before I forget, I already posted this somewhere in the thread, but since it's a pain to go through the whole thread, here are the missing pages for not simple, if someone wasn't around to downloaded it last year.

EDIT 2:
@Corwin
Could you please update the opening post with the manga that got picked for May and July? It may be useful to have all the picked manga in one place.
metamorphiusAug 1, 2015 2:53 AM
Aug 1, 2015 3:13 AM
Nov 2009
Do people here nominate stuff that they have read and want others to check out or stuff they themselves haven't read but are interested in? I did the latter previously. I guess the former makes more sense...
Aug 1, 2015 3:14 AM

Aug 2009
There's no rule stating that you have to have read what you nominate, so it's up to you.
Aug 1, 2015 3:44 AM

Aug 2011
metamorphius said:
EDIT:
Before I forget, I already posted this somewhere in the thread, but since it's a pain to go through the whole thread, here are the missing pages for not simple, if someone wasn't around to downloaded it last year.

Manga madokami doesn't have those. Thanks for the missing pages.
Aug 1, 2015 3:44 PM

Feb 2008
Wow, Kakukaku Shikajika really is the best manga we've had so far for the readalong. I could totally get behind the feeling of regret the author had, because it's as she put it herself, young people are usually hopeless like that. Some decisions they make or don't will leave them with regret or wishful thinking, maybe lingering for the rest of their lives, as there is no correct way to live one.

What I also really liked about this work is the realism, some other works that handle modern life are usually too gritty for their own good. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but it's usually either the fluff or the grim end of the spectrum, here, it was just down the middle, not emphasizing some pattern of human behaviour, the way real life is, which I can appreciate despite this being autobiographic in nature.

With that said, there is one thing that slightly threw me off. The impact is there, yes, and it's obvious that the manga was more an apology and statement of gratitude towards her art teacher, but some of the characters and events were presented presented almost prosaically. She ranted on for pages how hard is it to be a manga author, yet
in 5 panels total. I also wanted to see more of Futami ;_;. So in general, some things were slightly distracting, but they were worth sucking up for the overall experience.

I think the moment that got the most of me was when sensei visited her university apartment and left the bottle of liquor after he left.

So yeah, definitely a recommended read. Not sure if I can say it was bittersweet, since it would be kind of weird labeling a slice of real life like that, but I guess it's the closest thing I can think of in the moment.

Aug 1, 2015 4:58 PM

Feb 2013
I recommend Yajirobee for the next month. I gave it a try just now and it was way too sweet. Kinda short tho, it needed more chapters :(
Aug 1, 2015 5:00 PM

Oct 2012
corwin_r said:

THE CURSE IS OVER! IT REALLY IS OVER! ;_;

Also, I nominate Planetes.
Ducat_RevelAug 1, 2015 5:30 PM
Aug 3, 2015 4:25 AM

Oct 2012
Double post. Forgive me.

Nominees That Were Picked

Nominees Yet To Be Picked

Old Unpicked Nominees
Ducat_RevelAug 3, 2015 4:42 AM
Aug 3, 2015 6:04 AM

Aug 2009
^ I was just thinking this morning of doing the same. Thank you for saving me the trouble. Now it's much easier to see which manga I have left, and it amounts to 9 titles (well, technically it's 10, but I don't plan on wasting time on reading Zeru's futanari manga rec).
metamorphiusAug 3, 2015 6:07 AM
Aug 3, 2015 6:14 AM

Feb 2008
If you guys want, I can pool all the nominations, old and new, for the next draw. The system is not set in stone, so if there is something you'd like to read, even a second nomination wouldn't make the world end, the rules if anyone actually takes them seriously were made so that every participant gets a fair chance of their nomination being drawn.

We can make it a voting too, instead of the randomized entry system we've had so far, if you feel that it would work better. This is a suggestion thread too, so feel free to share your thoughts about anything related to this activity.

Aug 3, 2015 6:20 AM

Oct 2012
metamorphius said:
(well, technically it's 10, but I don't plan on wasting time on reading Zeru's futanari manga rec).

Don't be like that meta. I read Zeru's manga nomination. It certainly opened my eyes. The ending was... words will not suffice, I'm afraid.

@corwin
I'm good with it being random. Voting can get messy. Also, yeah. I'm down with mixing both old and new nominations.
Aug 3, 2015 6:28 AM

Aug 2009
I'm also fine with randomization. However, for me it doesn't particularly matter since I am going to read pretty much everything either way.

Ducat_Revel said:
Don't be like that meta. I read Zeru's manga nomination. It certainly opened my eyes. The ending was... words will not suffice, I'm afraid.

Oh, yes, I am sure it was an enlightening experience. I saw you gave it a 2/10.
Aug 15, 2015 1:03 AM

Oct 2012
We need more entries. I'm slowly running out of quick manga to read.

Also, no discussion on not simple? Okay... ;_;
Aug 15, 2015 1:25 AM

Feb 2008
I could nominate some good ones if you want. Like Oyaji.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 17, 2015 9:22 AM

Feb 2013
Ah, i forgot to re-read not simple lol. I need to, because i really don't remember a lot of it. Can we read specific volumes of episodic manga? Like Black Jack, Cat's Eye, etc etc.

Also nominate Ran and the Gray World. I know it's over 5 but it's only 7 volumes long :(
Carks32Aug 17, 2015 9:28 AM
Aug 22, 2015 12:18 AM

Oct 2012
Carks32 said:

Also nominate Ran and the Gray World. I know it's over 5 but it's only 7 volumes long :(

I'm currently reading it now. Really fun. Even if it's not included, I'm happy you recommended it. But why do your recs have to be so borderline pedophilic, man?!
Aug 22, 2015 5:44 AM
Nov 2009
Ran is great, was one of my favorites recently.
Aug 22, 2015 10:02 AM

Feb 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
Carks32 said:

I'm currently reading it now. Really fun. Even if it's not included, I'm happy you recommended it. But why do your recs have to be so borderline pedophilic, man?!

I also like it a lot, i would even recommend it to the e-list but i'm too stupid to make an argument on how much i like it to be honest xD
Aug 22, 2015 10:11 AM
Nov 2009
Same, but I also doubt anything other than rubber pirates and 80s transformers can make it on the list nowadays.
Aug 22, 2015 11:12 AM

Oct 2012
Carks32 said:

I also like it a lot, i would even recommend it to the e-list but i'm too stupid to make an argument on how much i like it to be honest xD

Haha, I'm just messing with you man. It's just funny that both Yajirobee and Ran have somewhat pedophilic tinges.

Also, regarding the e-list. I considered nominating this too. I also considered manga like The Voynich Hotel. They're fun and have a good heart. E-List or not, whatever man. It's more interesting to get people to read them.
Aug 22, 2015 2:35 PM

Feb 2013
Talking about e-list, someone should update it lol, there is like 3-4 manga that got in.
Aug 22, 2015 8:05 PM

Apr 2012
>Talking about e-list, someone should update it lol, there is like 3-4 manga that got in.

I did, it's in the new manga e-list.I just waited for the new rules to be discussed and for all the polls to finish before I added them all in. Although i probably should have made some mention that I did add them lol :P.
Aug 23, 2015 2:32 AM

Jun 2013
I'd support a Voynich Hotel nomination. Hell, I might just do it myself, it's a great read and Dowman Sayman deserves more recognition.
Aug 25, 2015 8:00 PM

Feb 2013
Another nomination, Comic☆Studio. It's a moe manga, yes, but it's one of those sosweetthatyouwillgetdiabetes romance manga that i would recommend to anyone. Hell it would be good after reading not simple.
Aug 27, 2015 8:36 AM

Apr 2012
I-I don't think I can go through with Comic Studios. Even as a person who highly values the cuteness of a manga I don't know about this one Carks. I like moe in moderation.

I really liked Ran as well. I gave it a very strong 8/10. I would like to request another nomination from you, since the chances I read Comic Studio is very slim.
Aug 27, 2015 9:30 AM

Feb 2013
C'mon, it's good, a bit too cute and moe but hell it's good

It's not like it will be chosen, there are a few manga that are already in the nomination list.
Aug 28, 2015 6:40 AM

Apr 2012
Oh, I don't mean request another nomination for the purposes of the readalong list. I just wanted another cute manga to read in the same line as like Ran. Generally anything short, cute will be nice.
Aug 28, 2015 9:08 AM

Feb 2013
Exinqt said:
Oh, I don't mean request another nomination for the purposes of the readalong list. I just wanted another cute manga to read in the same line as like Ran. Generally anything short, cute will be nice.

Well, Bonnouji is something cute and short. There isn't a lot of manga like Ran, not so many manga go around with the idea of M A G I C and that sort of things. Flying Witch is also good for that, but it's on going with 19 chapters. Also The Ancient Magus Bride, that's a little piece of heaven.
Aug 31, 2015 12:57 PM

Oct 2012
Okay, I'm officially taking over this thread. My first declaration as the new thread officer is that Ran is a completely valid nomination. :D

Also, I'm not counting cark's nomination for Comic Studio just yet since he already has two nominees in the circulation. And I'm also accepting Nid's last minute nomination for Taniguchi's Ino wo Kau. He didn't post it in the thread but he told me via Skype so whatevs.

This months new pick will be:

Have a great month guys and do post your opinions regarding the readalong nominees here. :D
Sep 7, 2015 9:18 PM

Jul 2013
I'll give this month's manga a shot. Parasyte was pretty good and I was fond of his horror one shot.

While I'm at it I'd like to nominate Kayou Gogo 9-ji. It's one of my favorites for a few reasons. It's also extremely short at three chapters. I'm not sure how you guys will receive it but I'm interested to hear what you think of it.
Nagisa33Sep 7, 2015 9:22 PM
Sep 8, 2015 9:37 AM

Feb 2013
Ah, i forgot about this, sorry. I will give a try since i like Iwaaki stuff in general.
Sep 9, 2015 10:25 AM

Aug 2011
Heureka was a bit disappointing. The machines that were used to fight off the Romans in the siege battle were interesting, but it felt like the manga wanted to show them off rather than to use them to move the story forwards. Other than that Heureka tried too much for one volume. Introducing the age, introducing the setting, showing off machinery in a war we don't really feel the weight off, discrimination and finally a tragic love story. It was messy.
Sep 9, 2015 2:21 PM

Feb 2013
Sunny is a good rec for anyone who digs stuff like the 1st half of Usagi Drop or Yotsuba&
Made by the dude who wrote Ping Pong and Tekkonkinkreet so you know it's good.
Sep 9, 2015 10:13 PM

Oct 2012
gedata said:
Sunny is a good rec for anyone who digs stuff like the 1st half of Usagi Drop or Yotsuba&

Didn't this just finish? As far as I know, volumes 5 and 6 aren't available online just yet.
Sep 10, 2015 12:01 PM

Feb 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
gedata said:

Didn't this just finish? As far as I know, volumes 5 and 6 aren't available online just yet.

Yeah it did. Not sure about the scanlations though since I've been getting the actual Viz Sig volumes. Can't wait for the last one.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.