Forum Settings
Forums
New
Should I watch fate/zero before watching this series?
Chronologically
45.8%
Release date
54.2%
142 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 7, 2014 2:07 PM

Nov 2013
Grey-Zone said:
Well there are those who are afraid of getting the VN to read due to... let's say "legal issues".
Well, that's another issue <_<
But anyway, to sum up what has been said in this thread:
1. Read the VN, then watch whatever.
2. Watch UBW then HF then Zero.
3. If you don't care, then watch whatever you want.
Oct 7, 2014 2:18 PM
Jul 2014
Shintai said:
SlothPriest said:
Fair enough. I don't think DEEN's version explained that and I haven't got that far into the VN yet :P

The DEEN anime does bring it up and it's explained early on that killing people can supply servants with mana, you were meant to put 2 and 2 together during that certain reveal.
Must have been because of my lack of attention to what was going on then :P
Well, sitting through something that I consider painfully boring didn't help either...
I'M GONE NOW
Oct 7, 2014 2:20 PM

Sep 2013
SlothPriest said:
Shintai said:

Fair enough. I don't think DEEN's version explained that and I haven't got that far into the VN yet :P

Oct 7, 2014 2:44 PM

Jun 2009
Grey-Zone said:
Well there are those who are afraid of getting the VN to read due to... let's say "legal issues".

You can buy the PS2 version for like 15 dollars on Amazon. It's Japanese and, being on PS2, it is to my knowledge impossible to patch it. But, at least you are technically "supporting" the creators if that makes you feel better.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 7, 2014 2:47 PM

Sep 2013
It's not like there exists a Let's Play archive or a Youtube channel that uploaded almost all scenes.
Oct 7, 2014 2:50 PM

Nov 2013
CorePriest said:
It's not like there exists a Let's Play archive or a Youtube channel that uploaded almost all scenes.
Some people still don't like the idea of not doing things legit.
Oct 7, 2014 2:51 PM

Jul 2007
CorePriest said:

WEll to be fair, its not newest ver.
Oct 7, 2014 2:52 PM

Mar 2013
Read FSN first.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2014 11:11 PM

Jan 2014
Can someone point me to a source saying that this is going to follow the VN to the extent where it won't be considered a direct sequel to Fate/Zero? Everyone is acting like it won't be, like it'll just be a straight adaptation of the VN without taking Fate/Zero's previous anime release into account, but I haven't seen any confirmation that this is the case. Going in as someone who watched Fate/Zero first, this prologue felt very much like a sequel to F/Z.
Oct 7, 2014 11:58 PM

Sep 2013
Kinoko said:
“This might be a little extreme, but in terms of story and picture, please think of [Fate/Stay Night] as a different thing from Zero. Stay Night’s goals and Zero’s goals are different things. If we were to impertinently connect the two, the story and mood would be ruined. Stay Night and Zero were written by different authors and have different stories, so they must both be respected in such a way.”

And the staff answered: “Of course, we understand. This is not a sequel to Zero, but a new Stay Night.”

They will add references to FZ (it already happened, like the snake skin Tokiomi left for Rin or the room where Archer explained the Command Spells), and yes, there will be new original scenes Nasu himself wrote, that might be taken as a connection to Zero, but the Prologue is exactly how it happened in the Visual Novel. If you think that this or that particular scene in UBW connects wonderfully with Zero, it's intentional, because Zero was written that way to connect with all three routes of FSN.
Oct 8, 2014 12:05 AM

Sep 2014
zacrathedemon5 said:
Can someone point me to a source saying that this is going to follow the VN to the extent where it won't be considered a direct sequel to Fate/Zero? Everyone is acting like it won't be, like it'll just be a straight adaptation of the VN without taking Fate/Zero's previous anime release into account, but I haven't seen any confirmation that this is the case. Going in as someone who watched Fate/Zero first, this prologue felt very much like a sequel to F/Z.

You're making things overly complicated. Simply put, F/Z complements F/SN. Some things are directly connected to the plot of F/SN, while others aren't relevant and as a consequence they are never mentioned. The problem is that F/Z also spoils several aspects of F/SN that would have been plot twists otherwise... but I won't elaborate on that, since it's been discussed to death already.
Oct 8, 2014 12:39 AM

May 2014
CorePriest said:
Kinoko said:
“This might be a little extreme, but in terms of story and picture, please think of [Fate/Stay Night] as a different thing from Zero. Stay Night’s goals and Zero’s goals are different things. If we were to impertinently connect the two, the story and mood would be ruined. Stay Night and Zero were written by different authors and have different stories, so they must both be respected in such a way.”

And the staff answered: “Of course, we understand. This is not a sequel to Zero, but a new Stay Night.”

They will add references to FZ (it already happened, like the snake skin Tokiomi left for Rin or the room where Archer explained the Command Spells), and yes, there will be new original scenes Nasu himself wrote, that might be taken as a connection to Zero, but the Prologue is exactly how it happened in the Visual Novel. If you think that this or that particular scene in UBW connects wonderfully with Zero, it's intentional, because Zero was written that way to connect with all three routes of FSN.

How many more references to the forth war even need to be added? All 3 routes were full of nods to the 4th war.

Not that I'm not excited to see what they do add, because as far as prequels go fate/zero was pretty damn good.

Problem was it was so good that every secondary and his dog picked it up as the entryway into the fate universe. We fight so hard to keep zero as a prequel because that is what it's best at.
Oct 8, 2014 1:54 PM

Jul 2013
WrongPriest said:
Problem was it was so good that every secondary and his dog picked it up as the entryway into the fate universe. We fight so hard to keep zero as a prequel because that is what it's best at.

Don't you hate it when things you like get too good and then it blows up way more than it needed to?

The sad part is that might sound like sarcasm but it's not.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Oct 8, 2014 2:15 PM

Oct 2014
PriestJabon said:
WrongPriest said:

Don't you hate it when things you like get too good and then it blows up way more than it needed to?

The sad part is that might sound like sarcasm but it's not.

That's what I read.
Oct 8, 2014 2:33 PM

Jul 2007
Dont worry everyone always counts everything Jabon ever says with addition of his signature phrase.

Adds lots of DARK EDGYNESS
Oct 8, 2014 2:40 PM

Jun 2009
I cringe every time I see someone use "edgyness" to describe something, I really do.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 8, 2014 2:46 PM

Jul 2007
insan3priest said:
I cringe every time I see someone use "edgyness" to describe something, I really do.

How edgy of you

You just oooze...edgyness.
Oct 8, 2014 2:50 PM

Jun 2009
What, are you trying to cringe me to death!?

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 8, 2014 3:09 PM

Jul 2013
Am I really that signature-genic?

Y'know, like photogenic except with signatures.

EDIT: Well whaddya know. My 1,000th post.
VerchanOct 8, 2014 3:28 PM
Oct 8, 2014 3:14 PM

Oct 2014
PriestJabon said:
Am I really that signature-genic?

Y'know, like photogenic except with signatures.

No matter what, no matter how unfitting it seems... somehow it always fits in the end.
Oct 9, 2014 3:18 AM

May 2014
insan3priest said:

Same with mature and to some extent pretentious,

I think it's because most of the rest of the world find anime to be immature or for kids that people go out of their way to prove that they watch a "mature" side of anime. (Goes hand in hand with a need for all things edgy.)

But in the end it's up to them, even if it is totally retarded.

*Edited due to severe OCD
WrongPriestOct 9, 2014 4:05 AM
Oct 9, 2014 8:21 AM

Oct 2010
Pretentious is certainly an annoying one. I remember there was a video about 20 mins or so long about this guy trying really hard to prove that Kara no Kyoukai was bad because it was pretentious. I couldn't sit through 10 mins of it.
Oct 9, 2014 8:52 AM

Aug 2014
Shintai said:
Pretentious is certainly an annoying one. I remember there was a video about 20 mins or so long about this guy trying really hard to prove that Kara no Kyoukai was bad because it was pretentious. I couldn't sit through 10 mins of it.

Stopped 5 mins in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28e4beKqnE
Oct 9, 2014 8:58 AM

Oct 2010
InsertPriestHere said:
Shintai said:

Stopped 5 mins in

Yup, that's the guy. I kept facepalming at all the shit he got wrong and couldn't handle watching it anymore.
Oct 9, 2014 9:12 AM

Jul 2007
InsertPriestHere said:
Shintai said:

Stopped 5 mins in

I thought we are not giving this stupid fuck attention after his SAO "reviews" and all other trollbait shit he posts

Don't read the comments

its like all of his followers come from hummingbird
Oct 9, 2014 9:31 AM

Jul 2007
InsertPriestHere said:
Shintai said:

Stopped 5 mins in

Enjoy the cancer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgcTWaPfC98

I am pretty sure this tops that.
Oct 9, 2014 9:40 AM

Aug 2014
CookingPriest said:
InsertPriestHere said:

Stopped 5 mins in

Enjoy the cancer:

Lost a few years from my lifespan.

And now I know you're FeuerFremder. :p
Oct 9, 2014 9:46 AM

Oct 2010
The extreme amount of dislikes in that video is enough for me to even bother watching it. I do not suffer fools gladly.
Oct 9, 2014 10:58 AM

Jun 2012
CookingPriest said:

Enjoy the cancer:

Thanks Fai! I'll need the extra strength brain bleach for this one.
Oct 9, 2014 11:05 AM

Sep 2014
CookingPriest said:
Enjoy the cancer:

This video is so disgusting it blows 2 girls 1 cup out of the water. I couldn't get past the first 2 minutes and that's because I had to try really hard to get past the first one.
Oct 9, 2014 11:11 AM

Jul 2007
FlameseeK said:
CookingPriest said:
Enjoy the cancer:

This video is so disgusting it blows 2 girls 1 cup out of the water. I couldn't get past the first 2 minutes and that's because I had to try really hard to get past the first one.

That tells all you need about the video makers mentality
Its basically bunch of Kaioshin clones.
Oct 9, 2014 11:20 AM

Nov 2013
CookingPriest said:
FlameseeK said:

Kaioshin isn't in denial though.
Oct 9, 2014 11:29 AM

Jul 2007
BotatoPriest said:
CookingPriest said:

Kaioshin isn't in denial though.

I'd say anyone who is convinced that Aniplex is aiming for world domination by funding and promoting things people like, is delusional.
Oct 9, 2014 11:54 AM

Sep 2014
They're just a bunch of kids that made a ridiculous, unfunny video for nobody to watch. Normal people can't get past the first minutes of that. The only thing they managed to show was how retarded they are.
Oct 9, 2014 12:02 PM
Jul 2014
CookingPriest said:
InsertPriestHere said:

Stopped 5 mins in

Enjoy the cancer:

Whoops, quoted wrong post :P

10/10
I'M GONE NOW
Oct 9, 2014 12:11 PM

Jul 2007
tldr: "get that filthy character build-up away from me, give me EXPLOSIONS"
Oct 9, 2014 12:12 PM

Jun 2012
Maybe we should start a thread for posting stuff like this ,especially if Fai is going to find these gems week after week.

I think I'm starting to get a true sense for yuetsu considering I'm laughing my ass off right now.

CookingPriest said:
tldr: "get that filthy character build-up away from me, give me EXPLOSIONS"

Don't forget the panties. That one guy goes on and on about those. ugh
Oct 9, 2014 1:03 PM

Jun 2009
InsertPriestHere said:
Shintai said:

Stopped 5 mins in

Saw who it was and noped the fuck out.

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 9, 2014 1:22 PM

Jul 2013
InsertPriestHere said:
Shintai said:

Stopped 5 mins in

I love how the page refused to load the video, as if it were trying to tell me something.

I probably shouldn't have refreshed it though.
Oct 9, 2014 2:06 PM

Oct 2014
If I remember correctly, the first episode of the F/Z anime had no "action", while F/sn:UBW(TV) had... so how come people are critisising F/sn for "not having action"? It makes absolutely no sense!
Oct 9, 2014 2:13 PM

Jul 2007
Grey-Zone said:
If I remember correctly, the first episode of the F/Z anime had no "action", while F/sn:UBW(TV) had... so how come people are critisising F/sn for "not having action"? It makes absolutely no sense!

FZ had edgy shit and overall FZ as a whole IS more action themed than FSN, but yeah, edgy shit.
Oct 9, 2014 2:23 PM

Oct 2010
CookingPriest said:
Grey-Zone said:

FZ had edgy shit and overall FZ as a whole IS more action themed than FSN, but yeah, edgy shit.

UBW has tons of action in it though, I don't remember if it's more or less than F/Z (I am inclined to say it has more but i don't remember) but that aspect of the show should surely satisfy fans. Ufotable has shown that they've gotten better at fight choreography aswell with the Archer vs Lancer fight, not to mention the fights during this route are goddamn amazing so when the show is over and done with, I don't think people will legitimately have a right to complain when compared to F/Z in this regard.
Oct 9, 2014 2:29 PM

Sep 2013
Shintai said:
CookingPriest said:

UBW has tons of action in it though, I don't remember if it's more or less than F/Z (I am inclined to say it has more but i don't remember) but that aspect of the show should surely satisfy fans. Ufotable has shown that they've gotten better at fight choreography aswell with the Archer vs Lancer fight, not to mention the fights during this route are goddamn amazing so when the show is over and done with, I don't think people will legitimately have a right to complain when compared to F/Z in this regard.

Irony. At least I hope it was.
Oct 9, 2014 2:49 PM

Jul 2007
Dat facepalm when more mature, more action-y, more complex and better-executed part of franchise is regarded as "for kids", "slow" and "light on content".
Oct 9, 2014 2:52 PM

Oct 2010
Well that's what happens when people only watch the mishandled DEEN adaptations and think it's representative of the source material. I mean I have a soft spot for the 2006 series for being my gateway, but looking back on it after reading the VN, it simply doesn't do it justice and is very lacking.
Oct 9, 2014 4:22 PM

May 2014
PriestJabon said:
InsertPriestHere said:

Stopped 5 mins in

I love how the page refused to load the video, as if it were trying to tell me something.

Yeah I'm sitting on my phone and I'm not even sure it's gonna be worth the data. Conversely can we find a video that strengthens the heart instead of causing me even more pain lol

I might give it a go when I get back to my computer.
Oct 9, 2014 4:35 PM

Nov 2013
WrongPriest said:
PriestJabon said:

Yeah I'm sitting on my phone and I'm not even sure it's gonna be worth the data. Conversely can we find a video that strengthens the heart instead of causing me even more pain lol

I might give it a go when I get back to my computer.
Spoiler: It's shit. Don't bother.
Oct 9, 2014 4:36 PM

Jul 2007
Please bother.

that will fulfill my life's purpose. bring me tears and despair once you are done.
Oct 9, 2014 4:39 PM

Oct 2010
DraconisMarch is one of the most unpleasant individuals I've seen on youtube. You're only setting yourself up for frustration if you even bother to watch his terrible video.
Oct 9, 2014 5:12 PM

May 2014
Nobody told me this shit would go for 16 minutes lol,
Ughhhh probably a good time to post the baptism rite:

Can you even accuse anything type-moon of being pretentious? I mean it's all serious shit.. And then it isn't.

Case in point, tune in for:

It's not a great arguement against it, but I'll stand by it lol

Edit* thx autocorrect lol

I mean seriously, that illustration at the start?

Careful m8 getting a wee bit pretentious there.

How does he find things enjoyable? The baptism rite will work, he isn't human.
WrongPriestOct 9, 2014 5:27 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) - Prologue Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hannah_Ana - Nov 17, 2014

1227 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 18, 9:41 AM

» Plot Hole (spoilers)

Mescalink - Jul 7, 2023

13 by Azynobitaku »»
Jul 8, 2023 6:48 PM

» Is there a huge flaw or am I missing something?

Barrusu - Apr 19, 2017

8 by Dawizz »»
Jun 30, 2023 9:52 PM

» That fight scene

kotosugu - May 13, 2023

12 by kakashis_sidehoe »»
May 15, 2023 2:16 PM

» What happened to the quality of voice acting?

060steve - Jul 28, 2020

0 by 060steve »»
Jul 28, 2020 1:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.