Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Sep 3, 2009 7:35 PM
Dec 2008
yes i agree that umineko is too deep for some ppl who are too lazy to think about wat could really have happened. its so obvious taht it was done by a human but some ppl are too lazy and too unfit for umineko that they believe in witches, just like the chracters in the anime and vn
Sep 3, 2009 7:38 PM
Mar 2009
^I think by EP3 some of these bums will start to turn their brains on. If they don't do that by then I feel very sorry for them.
Sep 3, 2009 7:41 PM
Aug 2009
DeathfireD said:
As for the series...I'm not finding it as appealing as I thought it would. The first few episodes sparked my interest but once everyone died and this turned into a second rehash story it kind of turned stupid. Not to mention the killings are no where near as disturbing as that other series that "we must not compare" the two too :D.

This arc is the only arc you really could effectively call a "rehash." The arcs after this stray from the pattern significantly enough to make certain aspects of the mystery a lot more interesting, imo. Also, the deaths tend to be less emphasized here for the sake of the mystery, which I think is the main selling point of the series.

z2000 said:
And DEEN just really likes to not show Battler's thinking process unless he's explaining to his cousins or something, and when he does that... they're usually weak.

They really haven't showed us anyone's thoughts. Which is a bit of a problem seeing as how the narrative in the VNs was shaped by people's thoughts.
JackFrostSep 3, 2009 7:51 PM
Sep 3, 2009 7:54 PM

Jul 2009
Metroid_Ex said:
You don't seem to see the main problem with this piece of shit and that is the god awful characters and how inconstant they are.

Can you tell me how inconstant they are, please?

Metroid_Ex said:
This anime is not deep at all.

It's just ep 10. How do you know that it's not deep?
Sep 3, 2009 8:05 PM

Apr 2007
I think the VN readers should back down a bit with some of the responses to the fantasy believers. If they want to believe everything they see that happens is real, and become disappointed, let them do it. It's not like a huge loss or anything. It's part of the experience, even if it can be painful for them. If some people are as stubborn in believing the fantasy stuff as Battler is in denying magic and witches, just let them believe it.
Sep 3, 2009 8:15 PM
Mar 2009
BakaOnna said:
I think the VN readers should back down a bit with some of the responses to the fantasy believers. If they want to believe everything they see that happens is real, and become disappointed, let them do it. It's not like a huge loss or anything. It's part of the experience, even if it can be painful for them. If some people are as stubborn in believing the fantasy stuff as Battler is in denying magic and witches, just let them believe it.

It's not that we're trying to make them believe it's not fantasy, it's just that some of these anti-mystery believers can't understand our side to the story. With that it makes it hard for them to completely understand the story and makes the enjoyment factor for them falter.

Ryukishi07 said to completely understand the story, you have to look at it from both possible perspectives, and only then could you choose a side. If you ignore the other side, you're only getting half the information that's coming from the story. This is the main problem with these anti-mystery believers.
Sep 3, 2009 8:20 PM

Sep 2007
Hahaha oh man, those threads are the highlights after every ep...

As a VN reader I couldnt care less about the Anime only fags and their complaining about it, if you dont get the concept, stop watching it, thats all there is to it, it was the same with Higurashi S2, people hated it because it had a deeper meaning and it wasnt little girls slaughtering each other anymore.

Like I stated earlier, this adaption is for the VN readers, if you try to understand Umineko by only watching the Anime, youre doing it wrong.

Same goes for hating on it, you cant hate the series as a whole if you didnt read the VN, hate on the Anime all you want, because its impossible to put all the feeling of the VN into a animated show.

Also,
Metroid_Ex said:
deep, deep you say. If you want to watch something deep go watch Kino's Journey. This anime is not deep at all.
Hahaha, thats a good one

Sep 3, 2009 8:35 PM

Aug 2008
What I love most is that there are a lot of VN readers who seem to feel superior because they have more (but not all) of the information. Almost as though they know the complete solution, and aren't also in a place of uncertainty. For that, I'd like to especially commend MarthX for remaining patient and maintaining a tone that isn't condescending toward other members. It's a negative tone like that that takes us out of the realm of true discussion and into flames baiting.
Sep 3, 2009 8:39 PM
Mar 2009
Trineas said:
Like I stated earlier, this adaption is for the VN readers, if you try to understand Umineko by only watching the Anime, youre doing it wrong.

I wouldn't say they're doing it wrong, the anime is just doing a poor job at conveying some of the things in the VN, but they're mostly doing a good job. I agree you can't put all of the feeling from the VN into the anime, but you can still make it somewhat enjoying if you're an anime only viewer. I know there's a lot of people who enjoy it and understand the concept so far, it's just that the ones who don't understand speak louder than the ones who do.

I'm not trying to come off as a VN elitist myself, I'm just trying to help some of the people who're hating this anime to understand our side to the story a little bit. But I guess I can only wait until later on in this anime to see what they think since I'm not quite in their shoes.
HaiShangSep 3, 2009 8:52 PM
Sep 3, 2009 8:48 PM

Jul 2009
Trineas said:

I don't think so, if the watchers can't understand it without the original work, then that means the adaption sucks.
And I think the anime is doing quite well so far.
Sep 3, 2009 8:50 PM

Jun 2007
In chess, a back rank checkmate is a checkmate delivered by a rook or queen along a back rank (that is, the row on which the pieces (not pawns) stand at the start of the game) in which the mated king is unable to move up the board because the king is blocked by friendly pieces (usually pawns) on the second rank.

Back rank mates occur quite often in games at fairly low levels, as it occurs out of carelessness. This is due to the fact that beginners typically lack the skill to realize that such a fate could occur based on the laws of the game.

This describes Battler's situation in EP2 perfectly. DEEN is doing a good job with the episode titles.
LunarEmeraldSep 3, 2009 8:54 PM
Sep 3, 2009 8:57 PM

Jun 2007
One thing I would like to say is that the majority of what the VN readers say is going to be simple speculation. Most of the VN readers are good in that regard but a few of them seem to be relaying this speculation as facts which I do not agree with.

And I will agree that if you don't want to seriously think about what you are seeing than you will most likely not like Umineko. But there is nothing wrong with not wanting to have to seriously think about a series. If someone just wants to watch something and enjoy it like that there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't mean that person is an idiot or anything of the sort. And it is a perfectly valid reason to not like the series.

That being said I think I have only seen around 2 or 3 VN readers acting like elitists over the course of these discussion threads, so I don't think its been that bad. Although as a VN reader my opinion may be biased and I'm viewing elitist comments as non-elitist.
Sep 3, 2009 9:03 PM
Mar 2009
Wattson said:
One thing I would like to say is that the majority of what the VN readers say is going to be simple speculation. Most of the VN readers are good in that regard but a few of them seem to be relaying this speculation as facts which I do not agree with.

And I will agree that if you don't want to seriously think about what you are seeing than you will most likely not like Umineko. But there is nothing wrong with not wanting to have to seriously think about a series. If someone just wants to watch something and enjoy it like that there is nothing wrong with it. It doesn't mean that person is an idiot or anything of the sort. And it is a perfectly valid reason to not like the series.

That being said I think I have only seen around 2 or 3 VN readers acting like elitists. Over the course of these discussion threads so I don't think its been that bad. Although as a VN reader my opinion may be biased and I'm viewing elitist comments as non-elitist.

I completely agree with you on that statement. Some of the people who just wants to sit back and enjoy have a right to not like it since this anime will require some thinking. I suggest to most of them to drop it completely because it probably wouldn't get any better for them in my opinion. There was only one person here in this discussion that kinda rubbed me the wrong way because they were calling it crap without backing it up on why they think it's such crap, but now I understand what they mean when they gave me a reason why.
Sep 3, 2009 9:04 PM

Aug 2008
You know, honestly, I almost think this show is anti-thought. It takes a genre which is supposed to be about thinking, and stuffs it with elements that, in these cirumstances just don't agree, arguing that point back and forth, to the point that it's not really about thinking, it's just about guessing and seeing what is the lesser of two evils when you as a viewer have very little to stand on (not even the world itself), or not thinking at all and just enjoying the killings, swords fights, furniture battles, cackles, twisted faces, and music as they appear.
Sep 3, 2009 9:14 PM
Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
You know, honestly, I almost think this show is anti-thought. It takes a genre which is supposed to be about thinking, and stuffs it with elements that, in these cirumstances just don't agree, arguing that point back and forth, to the point that it's not really about thinking, it's just about guessing and seeing what is the lesser of two evils when you as a viewer have very little to stand on (not even the world itself), or not thinking at all and just enjoying the killings, swords fights, furniture battles, cackles, twisted faces, and music as they appear.

I think you're wrong in this regard. You can indeed think in this anime if you believe the mystery side to this story. Not assuming you don't, but if you're anti-mystery you're not really suppose to think much at all and accept everything as you see it. Your statement completely summed up what this work of fiction is all about. Mystery v.s. Fantasy.

If you're Anti-Fantasy, you're suppose to find things in this story that disproves of all the fantasy that's being shown and find things that could possibly be related to mystery.

If you're Anti-Mystery, you're not really suppose to think too much, you just have to make sure that it's indeed impossible for any mystery to take place in the story.

Here's an interview from the series creator that Hirahira presented me with to explain my point that you have to understand both views to the story to completely get the whole concept.

hirahira said:

HaiShangSep 3, 2009 9:23 PM
Sep 3, 2009 9:31 PM

Aug 2008
Nope, because I'm at the point where I'm looking at it from both sides since I'm not satisfied with the presentation of magic in the show, and I yet still believe that magic was the cause of the initial murders. As you can see from my posts in this episode and I think maybe the last two, I've been more concerned about what is said regarding where people are and what they are and aren't saying.

To me, the whole show is over-wrought and trying too hard to be cerebral with the "turning the chessboard around," blurry, undefined, inconsistent narration, meta-world, Schroedinger's cat and other thought experiments while doing a terrible job at the most important things like 3 dimensional characters, coherence, and focus.
Sep 3, 2009 9:34 PM

Jun 2007
This is a quote from Bern in the VN that should have been inlcluded in episode 5 of the anime but for some reason was not. It somewhat explains how you should be thinking.

"First of all, about that girl. She does have the name Beatrice, but that does not mean that she is 'one individual women'. See what I mean? In other words, she's not some human. Her existence is a personification of the rules of this world. To beat her, you have to expose the rules of this world, and unravel them. If we were to compare, it would be something like learning the rules by watching a game of chess where you don't know them. First, take a good look at the chessboard. Then, learn the movements and roles of the pieces. Then, look for the conditions required to win at her game. When you've managed to expose those, there her heart will be exposed. After that, you can rip it apart or crush it as you please."
Sep 3, 2009 9:40 PM
Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
Nope, because I'm at the point where I'm looking at it from both sides since I'm not satisfied with the presentation of magic in the show, and I yet still believe that magic was the cause of the initial murders. As you can see from my posts in this episode and I think maybe the last two, I've been more concerned about what is said regarding where people are and what they are and aren't saying.

To me, the whole show is over-wrought and trying too hard to be cerebral with the "turning the chessboard around," blurry, undefined, inconsistent narration, meta-world, Schroedinger's cat and other thought experiments while doing a terrible job at the most important things like 3 dimensional characters, coherence, and focus.

Yeah and that is what the anime is failing at mostly. While the VN has the same material you just said, the VN does a better job at what you said is most important. I personally think they're doing an okay job with this adaption, but I can understand why people would call some of the stuff terrible. It all comes down to what they hold to the utmost importance, and in this case you would like a well told coherent story with well fleshed out characters that do not just try to throw a bunch of plot devices at you.
Sep 3, 2009 9:46 PM

Aug 2008
Isn't that what everyone wants?
Isn't that the basis of good storytelling?
And yet people say it's good, most of the episodes have a majority of positive votes, and I'm left scratching my head why.
Sep 3, 2009 9:54 PM

Jun 2007
I think different people have different opinions on what they want from a story. Some people are willing to look past a bad plot if it has really good characters, and some people are willing to look past horribly developed characters if the plot is really interesting.
Sep 3, 2009 9:59 PM

Jun 2007
Thinking the story isn't coherent would the same as thinking Higurashi's wasn't. Kai proved otherwise. They're called question arcs for a reason you know.
Sep 3, 2009 10:03 PM
Mar 2009
It's just that their taste are completely different. Some people actually like it just for the things like murders, the crazy magic, and just trying to figure out the mystery. And with that, the basis of good storytelling comes second to them since they only pay attention to the major parts of the story ignoring the significant details that needs to come with it. From your taste this jumbled up plot seems to be very incoherent but it's not really that to most at all as it is just presenting you mystery in a really messed up but brilliant way.

I can't really speak for them though since I'm watching it from a VN perspective and I only like it just because I like to see some of my favorite scenes animated while also placing some of the same elements such as certain lines and music in the story.
Sep 3, 2009 10:03 PM

Aug 2008
@MarthX
I don't think that's true. I saw coherence in Higurashi's plot the first season. It wasn't trying to do so much besides show that there are murders that happen randomly, and give you a handful of characters. No one was really out to solve anything because it always reset. The only problem there was that I got very bored after the first arc.

Umineko is basically doing the same thing so far, except that they're trying to answer the question before there are even questions to be asked, and there is no solid world for the viewer to place their perspective of leading people to question what they saw.
Sep 3, 2009 10:11 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
Isn't that what everyone wants?
Isn't that the basis of good storytelling?
And yet people say it's good, most of the episodes have a majority of positive votes, and I'm left scratching my head why.

From here and other forums, from what I've seen they like it because of the mystery. Even if they don't understand what's going on, they still like to make theories. They also realize that the series is continually building up. Which is right. Every arc builds off another and as a result, it only improves as it goes on. A lot of people also enjoy mindfucks. They enjoy not knowing what's going or what's going to happen. Aside from knowing people will die, Umineko is very unpredictable. Just when you think things can't get crazier, they do.
Sep 3, 2009 10:18 PM
Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
@MarthX
Umineko is basically doing the same thing so far, except that they're trying to answer the question before there are even questions to be asked, and there is no solid world for the viewer to place their perspective of leading people to question what they saw.

There are indeed questions to be asked and that is what the Meta-World is for, Beatrice is presenting you with the questions while Battler tries to answer it. The thing is, Battler as of now is having a hard time trying to figure most of this out so we aren't really getting any answers yet. If you don't want to question what you saw that's fine but you have to explain why it can't be questioned in the first place, otherwise you're just riding on with Beatrice for the hell of it.
Sep 3, 2009 10:18 PM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:
@MarthX
I don't think that's true. I saw coherence in Higurashi's plot the first season. It wasn't trying to do so much besides show that there are murders that happen randomly, and give you a handful of characters. No one was really out to solve anything because it always reset. The only problem there was that I got very bored after the first arc.

Higurashi's first season is more coherent because it includes two of the Answer Arcs. In fact, just more than a half of it is Question Arcs. Let's assume that Higurashi's first season ends at ep 15, I'm sure that everyone will say "wtf".

About Umineko, I think there is no question needed to ask apart from "Who did it? How? Why?"
And about the solid perspective, yes, Umineko doesn't have it. But what is the problem? Even if we have a solid perspective, we still can't trust whatver we see. People can lie, evidence can be fake. So we still have to think and decide ourselves what we should trust. So just do the same thing with Umineko.
Sep 3, 2009 10:24 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
@MarthX

Questions were asked with the seemingly impossible murders. And now the series is forcing magic down your throat. Trying to make you submit and believe magic is the cause of everything. EP2 is described as "the difficulty is top-rate" And "The Witch intends to make you surrender with no warning" But this is Ryuukishi we're talking about here. The answer isn't going something obvious. The series isn't going to be as black and white as it appears to be. We're just scratching at the surface of the series. Trying to understand all of Umineko right now would be like trying to understand all of Higurashi at Watanagashi. There's so much that we don't know. (VN readers included)

Watanagashi by the way is the second arc of Higurashi.
LunarEmeraldSep 3, 2009 10:39 PM
Sep 3, 2009 10:28 PM
Mar 2009
vinesage said:
I think you should see the story this way:

After you experienced some very extraordinary events of murders, you found yourself waking up one day only to be told that everyone else you met during those events is killed. And the person who is telling you the story is trying to convince you that they were all killed by magic, not by human hands. Do you believe it? No? But that person is going to prove you it was magic by retelling the whole events again, only where those parts you didnt know about (because you weren't there etc), he makes up a magic story for it, which only sounds very convincing. Do you believe it at once without thinking about it? (thats what you are doing :P )

If you look at the story this way, the Meta-World can make a whole lot more sense. It can also make sense on how there are questions being presented.
Sep 3, 2009 10:34 PM

Jun 2007
Yeah.

The first season of Higurashi covered 6 arcs, 2 of which were answer arcs.

Question
Onikakushi (1-4)
Watanagashi (5-8)
Tatarigoroshi (9-13)
Himatsubushi (14-15)
Answer
Meakashi (16-21)
Tsumihoroboshi (22-26)

This season of Umineko will only cover the first four arcs. It would like Higurashi's first season stopping at episode 15.
Sep 3, 2009 11:45 PM

Aug 2008
PsychFreak said:

There are indeed questions to be asked and that is what the Meta-World is for, Beatrice is presenting you with the questions while Battler tries to answer it. The thing is, Battler as of now is having a hard time trying to figure most of this out so we aren't really getting any answers yet. If you don't want to question what you saw that's fine but you have to explain why it can't be questioned in the first place, otherwise you're just riding on with Beatrice for the hell of it.

PsychFreak said:

If you look at the story this way, the Meta-World can make a whole lot more sense. It can also make sense on how there are questions being presented.

I'm not confused about the way the story works. After a breakdown during the transition between the first and second arcs, that's totally clear to me. I'm making observations on the show as a whole.

You're leaving out a couple of important points, though:
1) You are also dead, and you have recollection of it.
2) The person filling you in claims to be your killer.

If I look at it the way that you ask, of course there are questions that are in my head because as far as I know, magic doesn't exist. The rub of this "reality" is that Battler already knows he's dead and a woman using golden butterflies claims to be the killer. Should he still question her motives for being so upfront? Yes. Does Battler do that? No. Instead, he wastes time saying magic doesn't exist, and denying her existence, failing to come up with a logical explanation for anything he tries to prove. His very existence is a diversion of anti-fantasy proponents. Instead of actually pushing forward trying to discover who killed him and his family, Battler refuses to suspect anyone.

On the level of the show being a mystery, it fails big time because of this, since we're stuck with an ignoramous of a main character chasing his tail while the antagonist simply laughs at his inanity. Beatrice isn't really asking any questions that weren't asked in those first five episodes, those being: "What's happening?" and "How is that possible?" Most of the time, rather than actually attempt to figure out what is going on, Battler is defending the next person to be questioned with his silly metaphors, and only once (maybe twice) did he succeed, but only to bring him back to square one. If we look at this second, untrustworthy narrator within the game board as Beatrice, then she's giving us crazy random answers to deaths that may or may not have happened. That's why I've said, for maybe the third episode now, that there seem to be only a handful of truly important things mentioned during a single episode, while the rest is all a big diversion. I almost totally ignore Battler, and instead concentrate on what Beatrice is not saying. What Maria says before and after Higurashi face, and any other peculiar going's on between the servants and the doctor. That's it. Flying daggers, spiderwebs, bulk of meta conversations, etc bear almost no weight with me because it all seems like flashy diversion. Filler if you will.
4saken_762 said:

Higurashi's first season is more coherent because it includes two of the Answer Arcs. In fact, just more than a half of it is Question Arcs. Let's assume that Higurashi's first season ends at ep 15, I'm sure that everyone will say "wtf".

About Umineko, I think there is no question needed to ask apart from "Who did it? How? Why?"
And about the solid perspective, yes, Umineko doesn't have it. But what is the problem? Even if we have a solid perspective, we still can't trust whatver we see. People can lie, evidence can be fake. So we still have to think and decide ourselves what we should trust. So just do the same thing with Umineko.

As I said, I was ''wtf" after the first arc, and then everything else ran together because it was the same notes being hit over and over again, just in a differen't way. It's not like Umineko where one episode is more outrageous than the next, there's no uniform perspective, and there is nothing to go off of. Higurashi would just have been boring and pointless, feeling more like an empty harem, than anything else. Umineko just feels like a scatterbrained mess.
noteDheroSep 3, 2009 11:48 PM
Sep 4, 2009 12:07 AM

Jun 2007
Anything said in red is very important. If you ignore that then you truly have nothing to go on. Battler does make up good points time to time but his way of thinking is immature and naive. He relies too much of his chess board thinking and that only works when there's no noise. If your opponent doesn't always play at their best or make the best moves then trying to see things from their perspective will get you nowhere. Battler has his moments in this arc (which were greatly toned down in the anime) but he's more or less a fool in this arc. You are incompetent. He doesn't stay this way though. But there are (although few) VN readers who don't like Battler, so I won't be surprised if even at the end of the season, people still don't like him.
Sep 4, 2009 12:09 AM
Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
If I look at it the way that you ask, of course there are questions that are in my head because as far as I know, magic doesn't exist. The rub of this "reality" is that Battler already knows he's dead and a woman using golden butterflies claims to be the killer. Should he still question her motives for being so upfront? Yes. Does Battler do that? No. Instead, he wastes time saying magic doesn't exist, and denying her existence, failing to come up with a logical explanation for anything he tries to prove. His very existence is a diversion of anti-fantasy proponents. Instead of actually pushing forward trying to discover who killed him and his family, Battler refuses to suspect anyone.

This isn't really a spoiler or anything so I'll say this. Yes at this point in the story Battler seems very dumbfounded in what he's trying to do. In this arc he is letting his emotions get the best of him by not trying to suspect anyone. He pointed this out himself in the VN saying when he's trying to believe that magic didn't do it, he'll suspect one of the people on the island that he trusts, but when he doesn't want to do that, he just wants to succumb to the witch. It's until later that he builds a resolve to finally take on Beatrice.

You can probably say at this point he is giving in to the witch and is very well on his way to losing this game because he does not want to suspect anyone he knows on the island. So he's not as so much as chasing his own tail as he is being beaten down by Beatrice's own game. Right now he isn't use to how this game is being played so he has to learn the hard way.

You don't have to look through Battler's perspective at all, quite frankly you'd be better off not to. Battler only brings up a lot of good points later on in the series to possibly help you figure it all out. But yeah if you're trying to go off everything he says, this story will really come off as ridiculous and pretentious as you say it is, especially in this arc since he hasn't really grasped what he's supposed to be doing yet.

Edit: Beatrice to Battler: You are incompetent. I still wished they used that here.
HaiShangSep 4, 2009 12:36 AM
Sep 4, 2009 12:38 AM

Jun 2008
noteDhero said:
Monad said:

This is what i wrote last time and still nothing seems to disapprove them so am still thinking of this.

So then she faked her death during the real murders and continued to pick everyone off that way?

Basically yes. Since the bodies had there faces destroyed you can't be certain of there identity.
Sep 4, 2009 1:00 AM

Jun 2007
Preview for 11

Sep 4, 2009 1:05 AM

Jun 2006
Oh my it really is going to be the finale of EP2 next week. owo -prays-
Sep 4, 2009 1:15 AM

Nov 2007
PsychFreak said:
You can probably say at this point he is giving in to the witch and is very well on his way to losing this game because he does not want to suspect anyone he knows on the island. So he's not as so much as chasing his own tail as he is being beaten down by Beatrice's own game. Right now he isn't use to how this game is being played so he has to learn the hard way.

Edit: Beatrice to Battler: You are incompetent. I still wished they used that here.

In fact even Maria pointed that out in the first arc when she told him that he only suspected the witch whenever it was convenient to him. I don't blame or mind people hating on Battler since its their opinion, especially at this point where he's being a complete fool.

What the anime is really lacking is the internal monologues of the characters which were cut for time restraints or whatever reason and this has proven to be fatal as the characters aren't given the depth they do in the SN at making the anime-only watchers have a better feel towards the cast. Also, I'm not pleased with how some of the SN players are acting as though they've solved the mystery and are stating things as though they are facts. Mind you, as of the moment NONE OF US really know whats going on, keep that in mind (those who've played Ep5 have a better edge though) so all of the SN players whom this may be concerned, please get off your high horse.

@preview
Oh my~ next week looks like it'll be a blast. Am I the only one who was severely distracted by Kumasawa's "pudding~ pudding~"? XD

P.S. Is it really too difficult to slip in the You are incompetent line? I reckon squeezing it in would only add about 5 seconds, to show Beato speaking the line and Battlers reaction.
Sep 4, 2009 1:28 AM

Jun 2007
Maybe DEEN didn't like that line. I've seen it cause some to doubt the red truth because a statement like that is more of an opinion than a fact.
Sep 4, 2009 1:37 AM

Jun 2009
Good episode, I learned from Higurashi to take everything with a grain of sault.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 4, 2009 2:29 AM

Nov 2007
MarthX said:
Maybe DEEN didn't like that line. I've seen it cause some to doubt the red truth because a statement like that is more of an opinion than a fact.
Makes sense, after all I found kihihihihihihihi to be a very odd use of red truth, if you can even call it that.
KantarouSep 4, 2009 5:52 AM
Sep 4, 2009 5:10 AM

Jul 2009
I'm thinking I should've read the VN now lol, I'm liking this show alot and the mystery is killing me. I like this arc alot I really like Rosa for some reason lol, and Ghoda WTF!?!?!? lol that was so funny. I can't wait for what this show is set to bring, It's still the beginning so I'm hoping for the best :D
Sep 4, 2009 6:33 AM

Nov 2008
MarthX said:

BUt that's not a lie, at that moment Battler was 'certainly' incompetent. Red truth is always true, but it can change afterwards, but at that moment, red truth is absoloutely true.

Maybe they'll add it next chapter, since I think they'll give it another episode
Sep 4, 2009 6:56 AM

Jul 2009
It seems people already come to the conclusion that you need VN to appreciate this anime. well, I dont think so. Up to this point, I think I can understand pretty well and I havent completely lost interest in the show, which is why its good.
If you want to see some good character development in a show, the character is usually not introduced to be super genius at first place, but rather a dumb*ss :-) (example: Tengen Toppa, Eureka7 or Juuni Kokuki)
That is, I believe, what is happening to Battler. He is for sure one dumb*ss for me. (up to this point) And his thinking-pattern seems conflicting and even totally illogical sometimes, but thats how it supposed to be i guess. There is going to be 26 episodes (+possible another season) for this show, we are at 10, but the culprit is now almost too obvious already, only the explanation is still left unmentioned. So is it going to be 10+episodes (+2nd season) for explanation? Obviously no. ^_^
Oh my, I even forgot next episode is going to be final for this arc, which means all are dead by the end of that :-) And it is going to start all over again.
well, if it does start all over again, i guess Battler would realize that if he is going to deny magic, he needs to suspect his own family, there is just no way out....thats what you call character development there
Sep 4, 2009 9:13 AM

Jan 2009
And they really skipped the "You're incompetent". Oh well, there goes my favorite red text scene so far xD. Really gave a sense of total defeat for Battler, added to piece Battler cracking.

I'm sad for shippers as well since they also skipped

But on the other hand...

Sep 4, 2009 9:24 AM

May 2009
Bea's laugh about 7 min in sounded really bad >.>
Sep 4, 2009 9:40 AM

Apr 2009
Keykeyoh said:

Oh yeah, I noticed it xD I couldn't help and laughed too.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Sep 4, 2009 10:28 AM

Jan 2009
Keykeyoh said:

I thought it managed to get the spirit of "ahaha.wav" (ok, that sounds ridiculous, but seriously it does); holy mackerel what an annoying and mockering laugh that is.

This part in the novel is ahahax9000; it even had an aha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-hacombobreaker.
Sep 4, 2009 10:29 AM

Feb 2009
Way too rushed compared to how it happened in the VN...
Sep 4, 2009 10:44 AM
Mar 2009
DesolateSol said:
Way too rushed compared to how it happened in the VN...

Are you kidding me? This was like the slowest paced episode so far of the season. If you look at the first few episodes, now that's what you call rushed.

The preview looks good and it looks like they'll leave some important stuff in next episode, but I still have a feeling it's going to be rushed into the ground. Guess we'll just have to see how they handle it :/
HaiShangSep 4, 2009 3:53 PM
Sep 4, 2009 11:08 AM

Jul 2008
they are showing a lot of beatrices weaknesses lately, the mirror or the spider. wonder how it will end.

Sep 4, 2009 11:18 AM

Feb 2009
For a murder mystery I cannot come up with any explanation, do not know what's going on. What an annoying anime? *pouts*
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.