Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 14, 2009 1:37 PM

Aug 2008
Morkand-san said:
I must admit, you gotta point. But we can't be so cruel. Those guys are trying their best and if anyone doesn't like something he/she should just stop watching and don't give a damn. I believe in them(creators). let's look forward to next week, ne? :)

Nope, I can't say they are doing their best, based off of what I've seen. I watch because the first show was good, Haruhi-chan was great, the series as a whole is funny, and I like the majority of the characters. There's little effort in this season.
Aug 14, 2009 1:45 PM

Aug 2009
They even apologized (really, the chief apologized to watchers). I feel sorry for them but I still believe :)
Aug 14, 2009 1:49 PM

Aug 2008
Are you talking about the guy who left last year and wasn't really responsible at all for this production?
Aug 14, 2009 1:53 PM

Aug 2009
I heard about that from Jaqbd. He told me exacly what I did to you. So direct any questions to him.
Aug 14, 2009 2:26 PM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:
With this episode, I remember why I hate Haruhi so much. All in all, this was a boring episode, and I'm quite appalled that after the quality animation during all of EE, I'm watching cross-eyed Haruhi, static characters and "camera" all over the place. It's almost as though all of their ideas were used up in the past 9 episodes.
i didnt notice any major decrease in animation quality, and certainly didnt realize when Haruhi crossed her eyes (ss?)
and if you find this episode quite boring, then you must have felt the same during season one? no? I sadly failed to see the huge difference....

ps: for those whos trying to diss Haruhi as hard as you can, dont forget the fact it is still an intro to a new arc :-)
vinesageAug 14, 2009 2:36 PM
Aug 14, 2009 2:27 PM

Feb 2009
Watching it felt kind of weird after all this endless eight. I got used to them.
Still, it looks like it's going to be fun. Haruhi always comes up with nice ideas so I'm looking forward to the next week!
I must agree with the anime quality, it wasn't as beautiful as in EE. I though I was just imagining things because of different scenes than EE, but I see that it's not just me.
FriscoAug 14, 2009 2:30 PM
Aug 14, 2009 2:35 PM

Jul 2009
some of the EE episodes did have extraordinary quality...
Aug 14, 2009 2:49 PM

Aug 2008
vinesage said:
i didnt notice any major decrease in animation quality, and certainly didnt realize when Haruhi crossed her eyes (ss?)
and if you find this episode quite boring, then you must have felt the same during season one? no? I sadly failed to see the huge difference....

ps: for those whos trying to diss Haruhi as hard as you can, dont forget the fact it is still an intro to a new arc :-)

No. I was anything but bored during the majority of season one. There was one episode that lulled for me...Kyon was carrying something, I don't remember, but on the whole, I felt the show was a great parody, slice of life with a supernatural twist. It's the same way I felt in episode one of this season....but now, It's a little exhausting.

Yeah, when Haruhi was sitting at the computer talking to Kyon, her eyes were crossed almost every other time she was on. It was distracting. Add to that the lack of dynamic light and shadow, and mostly still characters, it was very obvious compared to EE.

As far as this being a new arc...I'd give it more benefit of the doubt had I not already seen the end product. Maybe something special happens, or the filming is especially funny...I don't know.
Aug 14, 2009 2:50 PM

Feb 2009
haha, i thought it was good, so relieved that its not E8, lol

i loved the scene with the tea!
Anime makes me smile!

:-)
Aug 14, 2009 2:51 PM

Dec 2008
This was ok....but I kinda want to see some more relationship building.
Aug 14, 2009 2:55 PM

Mar 2009
New art style is bugging me. It works for K-On but not for haruhi.
Funny episode though. 4/5
Aug 14, 2009 2:59 PM

Aug 2009
The art style is OK despite everything you say guys. Don't exaggerate :)
Aug 14, 2009 3:02 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, it's not K-On level since there aren't pastels, empty backgrounds and big heads...but there is a significant drop off.
Aug 14, 2009 3:04 PM

Aug 2009
I can't say you're wrong but I still like it and the difference is not THAT huge at all. I bet there are people who'll agree with me. ^^
Aug 14, 2009 3:10 PM

Aug 2008
All I said is that comparatively it isn't as good, and I find it ironic since this is a fresh arc. On its own I think it stands up against everything else this season as average.
Aug 14, 2009 3:58 PM

May 2007
I liked it, interesting to see how Asahina Mikuru's Adventure Episode 00 came together.

Aug 14, 2009 4:09 PM

Jan 2009
Wow
A decent episode for once
4/5
Aug 14, 2009 5:41 PM

Jan 2008
fortunately, this episode was slightly better than this particular discussion thread!
Aug 14, 2009 5:42 PM

Aug 2008
Lol a decent for once? I gotta say all the episodes are decnet... but just after the tiresome two months.... well... a month and a half... of E8, this episode was a full refreshment of the lively spark that Haruhi has....

Watching the second season out of obligation after watching the first is not logical.... Come on... If you don't like it, then don't even try to watch it... Nuf said

I gotta agree this new animation style is kinda killing the how... The looks are still good, but the distinctiveness the past animation had fitted better for this show... This new bright and soft displays of animation really throws off the overall feel the anime has.... I gotta say i still like it, but S1 animation is way better... Obviously E8 has good things, but it was all because they needed to... I kinda agree E8 took out all the animation ideas, but this episode has great things like Yuki... and Kyon's FP Camera angle XD

Oh yay the Sighs!!! Finally this keeps moving and looks like Haruhi will manage to do wverything she wants out of simply wanting to do it... I didn't remember the plot, but watching this really refreshed my memory and I gota say the story is not good til they film... Obviously the Haruhi's trademark slice of life feel was here... and it was enjoyable, but hey something has to happen ne? XD I completely loved Kyon's monologues (thou he's still stupid he was fun this time) and Yuki's epic "Sou" (yes) hahahahaha.... Both Yuki and Kyon cracked me up hahahah

Lol at the clothes comment.... Quite true.... Or has everyone gone thinner by any chance? Hahahahaha.... And YAY! It's a Sony!! XD

Signs,
Green

PS: Toooo many post from one person.... Just enjoy the show XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2009 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
Sweet, prequel to the Miracle Mikurun movie! X3

Liked the ep too ^_^
Aug 14, 2009 6:04 PM

May 2008
Sigh huh , well nothing really exciting about this episode but its a good start

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 14, 2009 7:15 PM

Nov 2007
ok, so let me get this straight; i haven't read the manga so bear with me. . . . . we still aren't progressing? is season 2 just going to consist of filling imaginary holes that the last season left?
do we really need to see how they made the crappy yet fan-epic movie? is this whole season a representation of being unable to move on?
my head hurts.
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Aug 14, 2009 7:24 PM
Jul 2008
Ahhh. Nice to see a return to form for this series. Looking forward to this arc.

Loved Yuki's "Yes". Haha
Aug 14, 2009 7:25 PM

Nov 2007
mmm not that great an episode, the whole movie idea feels similar to season 1 D: but not as funny, but I guess I'll just have to continue on and see where it goes.
Aug 14, 2009 8:11 PM

Sep 2008
Boring episode, not really an interesting idea to watch either. Sucks this season will be raved about now the E8 is over. From my view, this episode was as boring as all the E8 episodes.
Aug 14, 2009 8:22 PM

Jul 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
Kyon-kun denwa
Sorry, thought it was Endless Eight again.

Fun fun, seeing everything being put together since the first episode.
I really appreciate the ending now, been a while since I've seen it. <3

I love your avatar
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Aug 14, 2009 9:08 PM

May 2009
I thought this episode was fairly good overall. A bit talky at times, and yes the animation style is beginning to bug me a bit, but the few great/funny expressions made up for it.

Epic Yuki goodness and the return of that relaxing jingle, Itsumo no Fuukei, at the beginning definitely made it a worthwhile watch.
Aug 14, 2009 9:15 PM

Jul 2008
look what i found on ep. 20!
Aug 14, 2009 10:00 PM

Apr 2009
its was ok, so it looks like this was the events leading up to the first episode involving the movie they made for the culture festival. Interesting, but not that exciting.
Aug 14, 2009 10:57 PM

Jul 2009
Loved it ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 14, 2009 11:57 PM

Jan 2009
Sealkid said:

If only she would look like this on this season instead of the shitty K-On! style ._.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 15, 2009 12:41 AM

Jul 2009
Mikiyo said:
Sealkid said:

If only she would look like this on this season instead of the shitty K-On! style ._.

\(@.@)/
Aug 15, 2009 12:50 AM

Jan 2009
Mikiyo said:
Sealkid said:

Come on, K-On style isn't that bad. :/ Only hands was so so... Colors were dynamic with great animation.

And about this Haruhi episode yeah, art was sometimes off. But do people release what animation and artwork is two different things?
Aug 15, 2009 1:39 AM
Aug 2009
The new (K-on) style on Haruhi is horrible. I want to get back the old Haruhi. I don't like this K-on style.
But allthough the animation on Haruhi disapoint me, the episode was really good!

4/5
Aug 15, 2009 1:44 AM

Apr 2008
man ... its getting more and more dumb x_x

Aug 15, 2009 2:09 AM

Aug 2009
It wasn't too logical from the beginning, was it? ^^
Aug 15, 2009 4:53 AM

Aug 2008
Morkand-san said:
It wasn't too logical from the beginning, was it? ^^

Actually, if you mean 'the beginning' as in, the novels, it was very logical. There is absolutely no doubt that the novels are better in every single way. A lot of people will agree, or simply call me dumb and say that it's obvious that the novels are better, but I don't care.

Meh episode, it's nice to see that they kept the original dialogue from the novels and stayed true to the plot. Alas, season two sucks dick. Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody was great.... and that was it. Endless Eight ruined this for me unfortunately, so nothing, absolutely nothing can save this season (hell, even this series) now. The animation style has regrettably changed to the recent K-ON style, which is unfortunate, because as I can see, a lot of people preferred the original style (including myself). The style was good for K-ON, but it does not work with Haruhi.

Sorry Kyoto Animation. You have fucked me off. Now get the fuck out of Haruhi and please have nothing to do with it ever again. You have disgraced Yuki. I hate you.

Aug 15, 2009 5:12 AM

Oct 2008
Much like many other people commenting, I think the K-On style animation sucks. KyoAni needs to do another Key anime so they can get their character designs pretty looking again.
Aug 15, 2009 9:22 AM

Apr 2008
Morkand-san said:
The art style is OK despite everything you say guys. Don't exaggerate :)

Doesn't take much to please you, eh?
Aug 15, 2009 10:05 AM

Apr 2009
ironchefflip said:
Much like many other people commenting, I think the K-On style animation sucks. KyoAni needs to do another Key anime so they can get their character designs pretty looking again.

*Shudders imagining Clannad in K-On! style*

But anyway, it was a good episode. We're finally back in school, and it was interesting. But yeah, the animation style really is suffering. It's been suffering all season.
Aug 15, 2009 10:18 AM

Aug 2008
Now we're just being haters...most of this season has been creatively directed and wonderfully animated. One mediocre episode comes out and everyone's talking about K-on style and it's just not true.
Aug 15, 2009 10:40 AM

May 2008
The episode was okay...meh. I still like Kyon's inner thoughts all the time.

And Haruhi's expressions looked too K-Onish in this episode.

Aug 15, 2009 10:43 AM

Aug 2009
That's right noteDhero. Why does everyone are busy hating the animation style while they should be thankful that the 10th episode was better than the whole Endless8 ?
Aug 15, 2009 11:02 AM

Aug 2008
Whoa, whoa, whoa....this episode was better than the whole of EE, but it wasn't much better (if at all better) than stand alone episodes of EE. This episode was boring and comparatively under produced no matter which way you slice it. EE was terrible contextually.

I'm just saying that there are ridiculous extremes on the view of this episode, and that it was totally forgettable and not particularly notable for anything good or bad.

I'm not a fanboy or some crazed purist.
noteDheroAug 15, 2009 11:17 AM
Aug 15, 2009 11:05 AM

Aug 2009
Me neither.
Aug 15, 2009 11:37 AM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa....this episode was better than the whole of EE, but it wasn't much better (if at all better) than stand alone episodes of EE. This episode was boring and comparatively under produced no matter which way you slice it. EE was terrible contextually.

I'm just saying that there are ridiculous extremes on the view of this episode, and that it was totally forgettable and not particularly notable for anything good or bad.

I'm not a fanboy or some crazed purist.

Morkand-san said:
Me neither.

Burn these no believers
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 15, 2009 11:46 AM

Aug 2009
noteDhero, did you hear that? What's this annoying noise? :D
Aug 15, 2009 12:10 PM

Oct 2008
necrojesta said:
Why do people like haruhi? Its a terrible show, i'm just watching this out of obligation since I finished the first season which was also terrible.
Yeah. You just can't stop watching it even though you think it's terrible. That makes sense.
Aug 15, 2009 12:20 PM

Jul 2008
Morkand-san said:
That's right noteDhero. Why does everyone are busy hating the animation style while they should be thankful that the 10th episode was better than the whole Endless8 ?

that's what it's all about, isn't it?

We've survived Endless Eight and The Melancholy should now continue to recover from the "calamity".

Seeing that things will be better is more than enough for episode 10.
Aug 15, 2009 12:24 PM

Aug 2008
I'm not really seeing that things are better though. What I see is a storyline that I already know the outcome of, in an episode that doesn't look as good as the previous episodes.

It's like KyoAni and Kadokawa are saying "We'll give you a fabulous content and direction with Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, but that's it."
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

293 by AbrahamGAGA2002 »»
Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Fabrice - Jun 18, 2009

204 by Timeline_man »»
Jun 6, 9:44 AM

» Sign here if you watch all eight episodes of Endless Eight. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shuffleair - Aug 13, 2009

1540 by nicosb2810 »»
Jun 5, 7:43 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

536 by Zucned »»
May 7, 2:46 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.