Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 9, 2009 9:57 AM
May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is the episode where you really see how disturbing Hawk is. Pretty much how he and Miguel meet is a lot like how Takamura and Kamogawa meet, but way more screwed up. And I'm sure some people won't be able to accept some reasoning behind Hawk's violent nature, but I thought it was hilarious. I enjoyed how Ohtsuka delivered the line, "GIVE ME MY LICENSE TO KILL!!!" And I'm also glad this episode finally included more of his Engrish like "It's a showtime" and "Go to hell."
Jun 9, 2009 5:38 PM
Apr 2008
Another poorly handled episode for this director's score column, whether it's the poor music direction, the music itself, or just handling the scenes, he just can't seem to get it right. The music once again managed to kill a lot of the emotion in this episode, hawk for example has an ominous past so when his past is first show you would think ominous music would be a no brainer, but no instead we get this seasons 'OKAY I'M GONNA WIN' music playing instead. Why they couldn't have just stuck with the old OST from the start of this series i don't know, it was the perfect soundtrack to ippo.

About the way the scenes are handled, half of the time i feel like i am watching a slideshow, the director sticks close to the manga scenes during the fight most of the time scene for scene, thsi should be a good thing right? but no it's not, as following a manga scene for scene in a fight ends up with a lot of things coming across stupid, such as how one minute Taka will be in the corner but next he is in the middle of the ring then all over the place, then he is hurt but suddenly he's in a barrage, then he punches hawk it has no effect, hawk is smiling, then from nowhere OMG he's falling! now he looks worried!, oh he's fine again now

basically what i am getting at is it just looks stupid a lot of the time, as usual i know a lot of people will disagree with me but hey thats my opinion, oh and it seems the fight will end next episode, so how they can manage to flesh out the little material before the K&N backstory arc to fill 2 episodes will be interesting.

Overall 3/5 for this episode
Jun 10, 2009 5:47 AM
May 2007
blame it on the fact that they keep on delaying the trigun movie is why nishimura and imahori's touch is not in this installment
Jun 10, 2009 12:42 PM
Apr 2008
i can forsee the trigun movie becoming like duke nukem forever at this rate.
Jun 10, 2009 2:28 PM
May 2007
if that happens, it's not worth sacraficing hajime no ippo over
Jun 10, 2009 7:30 PM

Feb 2009
@callmeagnew:

you really need to go watch something else if you're gonna complain about every god dam thing. this episode was awesome as hell. and what's wrong with sticking with the manga? isn't it what the anime is suppose to do? just nitpicking shit for the hell of it, arnt ya?

wish I could give this ep a 10/5, but, I can't. so 5/5.
Jun 10, 2009 8:26 PM

Mar 2009
callmeagnew is crazy.
Jun 10, 2009 8:29 PM

Jan 2008
I agree with gt and orz :)
Jun 10, 2009 9:06 PM

Jun 2007
Much as I'd like to agree with this season's defenders, I've found the quality of audio in NC to be a step down from the original. Some of it's the soundtrack, but that has been getting better, to the point where I'm alright with it. What really gets to me is the voice/acting and dialogue timing. In this episode more than ever, I felt like the dramatic lines (esp. with Kamogawa and the other boxers) during the soul brace scene were simply being read too fast to create the kind of drama this deserved. It felt like they were speed-reading, and the crying was totally fake-sounding because of it. Even though the vocal cast it the same. Especially after rewatching Kaiji's human derby arc, which was done by the same studio. I actually cried at this scene in the manga, but here it just sort of whizzed past.

Don't get me wrong, what has happened here is still very high quality on average, just way below what I consistently got out of season 1. In this season, there's a lot of blood-boiling moments, but not so many emotionally moving ones.

Also, I still haven't seen that 25 episodes thing anywhere but here. Does anyone have a collaborative source?
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jun 10, 2009 9:12 PM

Feb 2009
Torisunanohokori said:
Much as I'd like to agree with this season's defenders, I've found the quality of audio in NC to be a step down from the original. Some of it's the soundtrack, but that has been getting better, to the point where I'm alright with it. What really gets to me is the voice/acting and dialogue timing. In this episode more than ever, I felt like the dramatic lines (esp. with Kamogawa and the other boxers) during the soul brace scene were simply being read too fast to create the kind of drama this deserved. It felt like they were speed-reading, and the crying was totally fake-sounding because of it. Even though the vocal cast it the same. Especially after rewatching Kaiji's human derby arc, which was done by the same studio. I actually cried at this scene in the manga, but here it just sort of whizzed past.

Don't get me wrong, what has happened here is still very high quality on average, just way below what I consistently got out of season 1. In this season, there's a lot of blood-boiling moments, but not so many emotionally moving ones.

Also, I still haven't seen that 25 episodes thing anywhere but here. Does anyone have a collaborative source?

yea, I do agree with you about the music definantly being a step down from the first series. can't argue that at all. but the music has somewhat grown on me, and I enjoy it a lot more, especially these past episodes.

and I can respect the rest of your post, as well.
Jun 11, 2009 3:47 AM

Jul 2008
Another pretty good episode it feels kinda weird to be seeing Takamura in the position he is in.

I somewhat agree that the total package of New Challenger is not up to where the first series was, mainly because such quality is very hard to match. The music isn't as great and the moments maybe aren't as impactful, but that is somewhat contributed by the poorer music selection, but this season is still very high in entertainment value. Although not as intense this show still provides great action and its humor is still fresh.
Jun 11, 2009 5:45 AM

Jun 2008
Takamura ;_;

Torisunanohokori said:

ANN say that it have a total of 26 episodes.
Jun 11, 2009 6:55 AM
May 2007
in the manga chapters, it says that we are now at the climax of new challenger...

....if it's only 26 episodes then as a fan of the manga, i am being cheated as fuck

hopefully, it's just a ploy to bring back nishimura and imahori
Jun 11, 2009 10:56 PM

Aug 2008
Agree with callmeagnew.

Music isn't the biggest problem. Direction could overcome misplaced or mediocre music, but it is definitely exacerbating the clumsy direction. I personally don't like the idea of Hawk having monstrous red eyes, further depreciating whatever humanity is in him. He's just so comical that I can't take it seriously. I can't even really entertain Takamura loosing since there isn't a bit of pathos to be had with Hawk (unlike most every other opponent).

I said it in the beginning, but this visual style for NC is much more on the side of Kaiji than it was the first season of HnI. I really don't like it. But at least I have a stronger appreciation for the first series.

At this point, I want this fight to end.
Jun 12, 2009 6:44 AM

Apr 2009
WTF ?? New challenger is only 25 eposide ?

They screwed the best moment in manga. I really disappointed while watching this eposide.
Jun 12, 2009 10:52 AM

Jul 2008
new ep was awesome man hawk is twisted i hope takamura take his fuckin head off
Jun 12, 2009 10:53 AM

Jul 2008
Zer0_TR said:
WTF ?? New challenger is only 25 eposide ?

They screwed the best moment in manga. I really disappointed while watching this eposide.
theres gonna be a new series
Jun 12, 2009 10:56 AM
Apr 2008
@ noteDhero - thanks for actually not just dismissing my opinion from the off and actually offering some discussion.

@ the people who complain about what i have to say, it's an opinion thats all, it just happens i can't accept any old shit like everyone else, if an episode is shit i will point it out instead of just typing 'OMG IT WAS THE BEST!!!!11! 5/5!' like someone who thinks bleach is a top tier shounen.
Jun 12, 2009 1:11 PM

Nov 2008
Takamura is sexy as hell with his hair messed up, no?

Also LOL when they all started crying.

xD
Jun 12, 2009 2:05 PM

Oct 2008
fucking awesome episode what fantastic anime this is why i love this serie
Jun 12, 2009 4:27 PM
Jul 2008
I want to see the next! This series is heck loaded with the cliffhangers! D/w I'm not annoyed.....Maybe i will be when waiting for another series lmao
Jun 13, 2009 12:05 AM

Jan 2009
Takamura will slap him around.
Jun 13, 2009 11:19 AM

Sep 2007
I love the critics about the red eyes... XD
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/391/02/
Here, you can see it's not for the fun of the animation but the manga have "red" eyes too. :)
Jun 13, 2009 11:46 AM

Aug 2008
You must mean me since I'm the only one who mentioned it. That reference to the manga means nothing. How does that change or nullify my opinion on the use of it?

If I were reading the manga in black and white, I probably never would have given it a second thought, or probably even ignored it as some kind of mistake.

This is the problem folks, and I believe I've said it before: The anime is an adaptation of the manga. To me there are things that work in a manga that come off as comical in an animated, full color format. Moreover, there is no precedent (in the show at least) of doing something so ridiculous. It undervalues the menace of Hawk, and therefore the fight all together when crappy decisions like this are made.
Jun 13, 2009 2:25 PM
Apr 2008
the big problem with this season in all honesty is the director, now let me say why.

A good director in my opinion is someone like nishimura who did the first season of ippo and trigun, in ippo he too took thigns out present in the manga such as the mike tyson information in the beginning and such as the kenta v hayami fight ( but this one was obviously due to trime constraints of the OVA) and black aoki before the ozma fight. However nishimura although he takes out he breathes life into the anime by improving upon scenes in the manga and giving the anime a better feel, an example being scenes such as the sendo fight and and kimura v mashiba, as well as the comedic scenes. In trigun the story diverges from the manga half way through but once again he shows his expertise as a director by IMO doing things better than they where executed in the manga such as the death of a certain character in episode 23.

Another good director would be noriyuki abe, who has done my personal favourite anime, yu yu hakusho, and a lot of other well known shounen anime, in yu yu hakusho he managed to take the material from the manga by following but improved upon it in the anime, such as giving the anime a better ending which is widely agreed. In the GTO anime, the Tomoko arc has an emotional ending which in the manga is totally different, however in the anime noriyuki abe improved upon how it was done in the manga by changing the scene and making it a lot more powerful.

This is why i consdier these two people good directors as they take the source material and add their own flare to it whilst remaning true to the material presented.

However, new challenger's director, jun shishido just follows the manga TOO closely like some amateur and adds nothing to it, there is just nothign there, as a result the scenes come across as looking random or out of place and overall it comes across looking choppy and just very poor. Such as the taka v hawk fight right now, in the manga this fight is my favourite so i couldn't wait to see it in anime form, however the fight in anime form is just a huge letdown, it lacks the raw intensity of Ippo v Sendo, which under better direction this fight should have easily surpassed. If i wanted to read the manga i would and i do, i don't want to watch the manga.

Is this season a worthy successor to the previous season? no
should it have been? yes

The director ruined this anime, this season was unfortunate to come out during a bad time where nishimura and tsuneo wasn't avaliable and as a result fell in the hands of this incompetent.

These are my honest thoughts on the whole debate which has raged on since the beginning of new challenger.
Jun 13, 2009 8:07 PM

Aug 2007
ShiroiRyu said:
Here, you can see it's not for the fun of the animation but the manga have "red" eyes too. :)

You're right. Everybody knows that black and white is really red.
Jun 13, 2009 8:13 PM

Aug 2007
callmeagnew said:
the big problem with this season in all honesty is the director, now let me say why.

A good director in my opinion is someone like nishimura who did the first season of ippo and trigun, in ippo he too took thigns out present in the manga such as the mike tyson information in the beginning and such as the kenta v hayami fight ( but this one was obviously due to trime constraints of the OVA) and black aoki before the ozma fight. However nishimura although he takes out he breathes life into the anime by improving upon scenes in the manga and giving the anime a better feel, an example being scenes such as the sendo fight and and kimura v mashiba, as well as the comedic scenes. In trigun the story diverges from the manga half way through but once again he shows his expertise as a director by IMO doing things better than they where executed in the manga such as the death of a certain character in episode 23.

Another good director would be noriyuki abe, who has done my personal favourite anime, yu yu hakusho, and a lot of other well known shounen anime, in yu yu hakusho he managed to take the material from the manga by following but improved upon it in the anime, such as giving the anime a better ending which is widely agreed. In the GTO anime, the Tomoko arc has an emotional ending which in the manga is totally different, however in the anime noriyuki abe improved upon how it was done in the manga by changing the scene and making it a lot more powerful.

This is why i consdier these two people good directors as they take the source material and add their own flare to it whilst remaning true to the material presented.

However, new challenger's director, jun shishido just follows the manga TOO closely like some amateur and adds nothing to it, there is just nothign there, as a result the scenes come across as looking random or out of place and overall it comes across looking choppy and just very poor. Such as the taka v hawk fight right now, in the manga this fight is my favourite so i couldn't wait to see it in anime form, however the fight in anime form is just a huge letdown, it lacks the raw intensity of Ippo v Sendo, which under better direction this fight should have easily surpassed. If i wanted to read the manga i would and i do, i don't want to watch the manga.

Is this season a worthy successor to the previous season? no
should it have been? yes

The director ruined this anime, this season was unfortunate to come out during a bad time where nishimura and tsuneo wasn't avaliable and as a result fell in the hands of this incompetent.

These are my honest thoughts on the whole debate which has raged on since the beginning of new challenger.

Taking out anything that is in the manga is bullshit. The worst was when he put canon material in the fucking ending of episode 75 instead of making some more episodes.

Also some stuff has been removed in this season so it is not exactly a copy.
Jun 14, 2009 4:08 AM
Apr 2008
''Taking out anything that is in the manga is bullshit. The worst was when he put canon material in the fucking ending of episode 75 instead of making some more episodes.''

it's not bullshit when it's done to make the anime flow better and how can he have the say to make more episodes? that logic doesn't even make sense.

''Also some stuff has been removed in this season so it is not exactly a copy. ''

you just said it was bullshit to omit stuff from the manga, now your defending the new series for doing it? okay...
Jun 14, 2009 12:28 PM

Aug 2007
callmeagnew said:
''Taking out anything that is in the manga is bullshit. The worst was when he put canon material in the fucking ending of episode 75 instead of making some more episodes.''

it's not bullshit when it's done to make the anime flow better and how can he have the say to make more episodes? that logic doesn't even make sense.

''Also some stuff has been removed in this season so it is not exactly a copy. ''

you just said it was bullshit to omit stuff from the manga, now your defending the new series for doing it? okay...

I'm not defending it. I said it wasn't an exact copy like you said it was.
Jun 14, 2009 5:22 PM
May 2007
Drunk_Samurai said:
ShiroiRyu said:

well, i guess you can play the games and see that with medgoen dachboy's eyes
Jun 14, 2009 9:36 PM

Aug 2007
ParaParaJMo said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
ShiroiRyu said:

ParaParaJMo said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
ShiroiRyu said:

So what? Games are not canon.
Jun 14, 2009 10:01 PM
Jul 2008
I find the soundtrack really lacking right now. Otherwise it's all good IMO.
Jun 14, 2009 10:23 PM
Sep 2007
I love Hawk's glowing red eyes. If Takamura and Hawk just start shooting laser beams from their eyes at eachother, most epic anime moment ever.
Jun 15, 2009 6:45 AM

Jun 2008
OMG!! nagging, nagging.
First the soundtrack. It seems more to me that is because people loved the first soundtrack and they were use to it and in some occasions to fanatic about it also. Really i find nothing wrong with the music. Actually when Takamura gave back that combination while Hawk was beating him, there was some really nice music. Also when they were showing Hawks past i didn't heart any strong 'i will win" music like callmeagnew said. All i heard was a single piano playing slow music.
Anyway music is just matter of taste so some like it some don't. You can't keep everyone happy. For example i like the new OP a lot better than the old one in Hajime no Ippo. Others might not.

I agree to some degree with the eyes but not that the director shouldn' t do anything with them but rather not to it so intensely. I mean not only they were glowing red but green also. But still, saying that everything happening suddenly wasn't important because i don't like that guys eyes is going too far.
This episode delivered exactly what people had problem before. The more sentiment in the fight that wasn't so strong and all that but they just find another thing to complain about. The fact that the two first pages about this episode is full of bashing about a series that even if we say it's not as good as the first, is still better than lot's of other shows out there that just get some sympathy comments about there mediocre episodes it's kind of too much.

The episode was good the series is still enjoyable and with the sentimental element more intense, this one was probably the best of the Hawk Vs Takamura episodes until now. Hawk is crazy as hell seeing also from his past but is nothing surprising really, such type of persons are not that uncommon and in reality you can find even worse.
By the way didn't Takamura look a lot cooler with his hair messed up?
He got his ass kicked and he became a ladies man.^_^
MonadJun 15, 2009 5:41 PM
Jun 15, 2009 11:14 AM

Aug 2007
callmeagnew said:

I actually missed the first part of your comment. It is bullshit. Regardless of a reason. People who say that don't read manga. Manga is always better. Removing canon material for any reason is bullshit. Which is why I rated it a 9 and not a 10. It didn't deserve a 10 for that bullshit.
Jun 15, 2009 2:26 PM
Apr 2008
you need to calm down lmao you sound really sad. If a manga or anime is better can be widely disputed, there is no be all end all to that question.
Jun 15, 2009 3:21 PM
Dec 2007
Epic episode. Far better than the last three episodes, by far, even if the direction is still weak. At least we can understand how great the original manga was (and how the first series was a faithful adaptation to his manga).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 15, 2009 3:35 PM

Aug 2007
callmeagnew said:
you need to calm down lmao you sound really sad. If a manga or anime is better can be widely disputed, there is no be all end all to that question.

Sure there is. Removing anything from the manga is bullshit. People with no brain and no taste say otherwise.
Jun 15, 2009 4:16 PM

May 2007
The last scene kind of screamed at me, "Dead man walking"
Jun 15, 2009 4:42 PM

Jan 2009
Does anyone know where the manga picks up after this season is over because I really wish to start up the manga where the series leaves off.
Jun 15, 2009 6:33 PM

Aug 2008
vindemon64 said:
The last scene kind of screamed at me, "Dead man walking"

Fuck this episode was awesome! almost made me cry seeing Takamura like that.
Jun 15, 2009 10:01 PM

Apr 2008
sorry couldn't help yah god dragon never read a manga in my life well..... except one exception... anyways i seriously don't understand why are people complaining about the sound and everything, to me they are good thats all it matters. I SEROUSLY WANT THE NEXT EPISODE TO COME OUT NOW ITS SUCH A LONG WAIT..... Anyone knows who win??
Jun 20, 2009 7:59 AM

Feb 2008
Jeez. Seems like people's standards are set way too high.
Most of the complaints seem to stem from the fact that it just doesn't compare to season 1. On it's own, I think it's a pretty damn good one. I felt some impact at a few points in the fight and it gives a high adrenaline rush overall. Either I'm really sensitive or you guys just nit-pick too much. The music's good, the animation is great, a little bit over the top but great nonetheless and overall. Just enjoy the anime for what it is >.>
Sep 17, 2009 11:50 AM

Jul 2008
Manly tears... go Takamura!
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Oct 31, 2009 10:05 PM

Nov 2007
Nooo Takamura =/ and I was so sure he would cruise in to a win >< but I have to admit his hairstyle now is much better than his usual one =]
Mar 16, 2010 9:52 PM

Jul 2008
The whole spirits picking him back up again is so freaking lame. Still, a good episode.
Jan 6, 2011 7:24 AM

Aug 2008
The image of everyone holding up a half dead Takamura was just amazing. This episode was full of emotion and I loved it. Everyone crying as they could see his dream dying right in front of them. But I'm sure there's still some spark to be had. Hopefully this doesn't end with him completely broken like what happened to Date.

Mar 3, 2011 9:16 AM
Jun 2010
good episode, bit prolonged though, should have ended it as a ko this episode -_-
Jul 23, 2011 10:26 PM

May 2010
Great episode! First time to see Takamura's hair in disarray. It must mean that this is one hellava tough fight! In moments where I felt there wasn't anymore chances.. Takamura would always push for that extra effort.. I can see there's a lot of people motivating and wishing he'll win..
I still think he still has what it takes to win the belt :-)
Jul 26, 2012 1:47 AM

Jan 2012
I am legitimately scared to watch the next episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 30, 2009

127 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 12, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

140 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 11, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

64 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 21, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.