Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 2, 2009 10:42 AM
May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I missed the first half of hte episode since I was busy making a few phone calls, but it was an ok episode. Next episode judging by the preview is when Takamura gets his hair rearranged.
Jun 2, 2009 10:08 PM

Jun 2007
They could not have made that KO prediction any cooler. And next episode is the series's crowning moment, if I read that preview correctly. the adaptation of the Hawk fight has measured up so far, so I'm expecting a manlygasm.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jun 3, 2009 6:20 AM

Mar 2008
No words can describe how awesome that was! o.o
Jun 3, 2009 3:36 PM
Apr 2008
in a word: weak

i just don't feel nothing from it, i never get the sense that takamura is seriously in danger, this is due to the fact that the fight is there but it has no 'soul', the director is playing it safe by mimicking the manga shot for shot but never adds any flare to it like the previosu director did when it came to fights, sendo v ippo II for example gives me goosebumps everytime i watch it. When i read this in the manga i got the same feeling, this however is just basic at best.

The animation is good for it i can't fault that, but there is just no drama or anything, this is partially due to the shitty music direction along with the average soundtrack, they just place music anywhere which makes it feel like an AMV, but it's also due to how it is being handled. Add to that the fact that besides a bit of blood, Takamura looks fine along with hawk because for some reason they don't put in the rough damage marks in this season, which are both present in the previous series as well as the manga.

I for one am glad that this season ends with this fight so the director doesn't have a chance to ruin what follows afterwards, somehow this season in my eyes has managed to transform hajime no ippo from amazing to just some average shounen. I know a lot of people will disagree with what i have said but thats just me opinion.

Overall i give this episode 3/5
Jun 3, 2009 8:47 PM
Aug 2008
callmeagnew said:
in a word: weak

i just don't feel nothing from it, i never get the sense that takamura is seriously in danger, this is due to the fact that the fight is there but it has no 'soul', the director is playing it safe by mimicking the manga shot for shot but never adds any flare to it like the previosu director did when it came to fights, sendo v ippo II for example gives me goosebumps everytime i watch it. When i read this in the manga i got the same feeling, this however is just basic at best.

The animation is good for it i can't fault that, but there is just no drama or anything, this is partially due to the shitty music direction along with the average soundtrack, they just place music anywhere which makes it feel like an AMV, but it's also due to how it is being handled. Add to that the fact that besides a bit of blood, Takamura looks fine along with hawk because for some reason they don't put in the rough damage marks in this season, which are both present in the previous series as well as the manga.

I for one am glad that this season ends with this fight so the director doesn't have a chance to ruin what follows afterwards, somehow this season in my eyes has managed to transform hajime no ippo from amazing to just some average shounen. I know a lot of people will disagree with what i have said but thats just me opinion.

Overall i give this episode 3/5

well when I read the manga for this fight I was hoping nothing was going to be changed. I like how this fight is played out in the manga, and I am hoping they keep it the same
Jun 3, 2009 11:43 PM

Jan 2009
I loved, simply brilliant *.*
Go go Takamura \o/
The scenes of the next episode, were not good ;/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2009 1:04 AM
Jun 2008
best episode ever
Jun 4, 2009 3:27 AM
Oct 2008
ParaParaJMo said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I missed the first half of hte episode since I was busy making a few phone calls, but it was an ok episode. Next episode judging by the preview is when Takamura gets his hair rearranged.

An OK episode!? What in the birds!? This episode made me instantly give new challenger a 10! Gaaaah, TAKAMURA!!!
Jun 4, 2009 4:23 AM

Apr 2008
A GREAT! episode, couldn't imagine it any better. I really hope they make another set of episodes.
Jun 4, 2009 4:42 AM

Jun 2008
AWESOME!!
Jun 4, 2009 6:32 AM

May 2009
great man! Very nice episode.
Jun 4, 2009 9:55 AM
Apr 2009
Oh man. The scene at the end made me want to scream out loud. So fucking epic! Give me the next episode now!!! That feeling you get when one of the guys gets blown away by being overpowered by something he didn't think existed. It's so basic yet so awesome :D
Jun 4, 2009 10:36 AM

Apr 2009
Nice ep, kinda wish I didn't watch the previews at the end for the next episode.
Anyone with over 10 shows ranked at 10/10 clearly needs to re-evaluate their idea of a 'masterpiece'.
Jun 4, 2009 10:41 AM

Aug 2008
So, they backpedal on everything that everyone was saying in the last episode about Hawk being stronger in about a second at the beginning of this episode. Suddenly now they are equals and it's all good? Whatever.

Ok episode. It's definitely done way better than last week, but I'm gonna agree with callmeagnew. I just don't really care about what's going on screen; nor do I think that there is any sense of urgency in any of these fights. It's funny to me that the only piece of music I ever remember from this show is the little blip they've been using during the eyecatch, and that's it.

Feels to me like the one thing this show had going for it has been reduced to mediocrity: the fights.
Jun 4, 2009 12:25 PM

Jun 2008
cool, liked the episode although i thought it wasnt as good as when the fight started.
Jun 4, 2009 1:04 PM

Feb 2009
Nice Episode
Takamura is as awesome as ever.
Next Episode will be Epic.

Jun 4, 2009 4:50 PM
Apr 2008
noteDhero said:
So, they backpedal on everything that everyone was saying in the last episode about Hawk being stronger in about a second at the beginning of this episode. Suddenly now they are equals and it's all good? Whatever.

Ok episode. It's definitely done way better than last week, but I'm gonna agree with callmeagnew. I just don't really care about what's going on screen; nor do I think that there is any sense of urgency in any of these fights. It's funny to me that the only piece of music I ever remember from this show is the little blip they've been using during the eyecatch, and that's it.

Feels to me like the one thing this show had going for it has been reduced to mediocrity: the fights.

The fights are still amazing and if you think that the only thing this show had going for it were fights then...LMFAO! I guess the charcters rnt fuckin hilarious and not just completly awsome.
Jun 4, 2009 4:57 PM

Aug 2008
No. I don't particularly think the characters are hilarious. Sometimes there are funny moments, but those are few and far apart since the focus of the show is fighting and the melodrama surrounding the fights.
Jun 4, 2009 5:00 PM
Dec 2007
This episode was awesomeeee, to me the worst thing they can do to wreck it now.. is if they make Takamura lose (haven't read the manga) but come on, who doesn't want to see that champion guy lose? I hated him so much I wouldn't have mind if they gave Takamura a first round knock out win, so watching Takamura dominate this episode was very satisfying.
Jun 4, 2009 5:57 PM
Apr 2008
akuchan_kun said:
This episode was awesomeeee, to me the worst thing they can do to wreck it now.. is if they make Takamura lose (haven't read the manga) but come on, who doesn't want to see that champion guy lose? I hated him so much I wouldn't have mind if they gave Takamura a first round knock out win, so watching Takamura dominate this episode was very satisfying.

a first round KO win would have been a pretty shit fight after all the build up lets be honest
Jun 4, 2009 8:11 PM
Oct 2007
callmeagnew said:
akuchan_kun said:

a first round KO win would have been a pretty shit fight after all the build up lets be honest

/agreed
there has to be a reason why Hawk has been the champion for so long~

i guess i'm just cheap to thrills then~ i have loved just about every episode this season. i mean some could have been better.. the animation with the super speed of takamura clashing with hawks speed could have been better.. but, otherwise i'm still quite content with this show. i get excited just about every moment, i'm on the edge of my seats forcing myself not to stand up.
Jun 4, 2009 11:12 PM

Oct 2007
Pure adrenaline pumping, kickass episode. It's just one of those times where you want to curse and shout at the top of your lungs, "YEAH TAKAMURA, KICK HIS ****ING ASS!"
Jun 5, 2009 3:02 AM

Jul 2008
Pretty good episode, the fight was really intense. And it's nice to see Takamura get some momentum.
Jun 5, 2009 7:28 AM
May 2007
there has to be a reason why Hawk has been the champion for so long~

Actually, this is Hawk's first title defense. He doesn't have the history that El Diablo has.
Jun 5, 2009 8:35 AM

Apr 2008
Anyone knows the name of the song that plays when Takamura raises his arms at the end?
Jun 5, 2009 7:44 PM

Jun 2009
franco90 said:
noteDhero said:

The fights are still amazing and if you think that the only thing this show had going for it were fights then...LMFAO! I guess the charcters rnt fuckin hilarious and not just completly awsome.

Backpedal to what? Hawk just seemed stronger than Takamura precisely because Hawk seems as strong as him... and Takamura hasnever fought anyone like him. Anyway, the similarities between the two have been played out so much at this point, so no one should be surprised by the shifts in momentum.

However, anyone who has watched Ippo v. Sendo II knows that this fight is lacking the epicness of that fight (someone should put back under star in the soundtrack). Although I have no objection to the shonen-type animation, I still feel that some sequences need more focus and less like they're just going through the manga panels.
Jun 6, 2009 2:59 AM

Oct 2008
noteDhero said:

dude....

awesome episode its getting better really intense battle
Jun 6, 2009 1:55 PM

Jul 2008
best fuckin ep ever takamura is that dude
Jun 6, 2009 3:49 PM

May 2008
ha ha ha i was just reading the comments when my ipod which is on shuffle came up with the opening for ippo Hekireki by Last Alliance
Jun 6, 2009 11:40 PM

Mar 2008
ro said:
best fuckin ep ever takamura is that dude

he sure is.

Jun 7, 2009 3:27 PM

Apr 2007
Epic.

To those that didn't enjoy it: Get better taste please~
Jun 8, 2009 5:44 AM

Sep 2007
+1 Killuan.
They don't enjoy it because they want to don't enjoy... :D
But it's just awesome. **
Jun 8, 2009 12:32 PM
Dec 2007
Agree with callmeagnew and noteDhero, the fight is far weaker than everyone expected it to be, especially after such a great build up beforehand. It doesn't live up to my expectations at least, and doesn't live up to several fights of Ippo in the first season. Not really epic for now, a bit rushed in this second episode, the animation is extremely random, sometimes great, sometimes average, and it is by no mean as intense as it should be. And another thing bothers me: Hawk seemed invincible and as powerful as a monster in the last episode, and now he's surprinsingly become weaker than Takamura without any reason, and he just doesn't seem to care about the match. Very strange to me, but well... it's still a somewhat good episode overall, it's just a bit dissapointing.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 8, 2009 3:43 PM

May 2007
You know what's really annoying me, the hand print on Takamura's back. I understand the whole point it signifies and what not, but just...gah...it's such an eyesore to look at.
Jun 8, 2009 7:00 PM

Aug 2008
Fucking Awesome.
Jun 9, 2009 7:00 AM

Feb 2009
Brilliantly executed fight, in my opinion. The animation was good, however once both of thei punches was clashed it was a bit overexxagerated lol, but that is the Shounen style. Next episode looks good, the series is getting better and better.
Jun 9, 2009 8:38 AM

Feb 2008
I
Just
Have
No
Fucking
Words

I just shat brix. BEST FUCKING BRAWL EVER
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 9, 2009 8:39 AM

Apr 2008
Brian Hawk is fucking crazy.

Fucking awesome good thing I didn't read the manga.

Jun 10, 2009 3:52 PM

May 2009
Pretty crazy brawl going on now. The fight is really intense.
Jun 10, 2009 9:18 PM

Aug 2007
FUCK YEAH
Oct 31, 2009 5:01 AM

Nov 2007
So Takamura is really getting into his zone, this match is his =] go get him, although Hawk will probably pull something off but Takamura will still beat him! Go Takamura!
Jan 5, 2011 10:57 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, that was good. That was real good. This episode devolved into nothing but bombs and I loved it! The K.O. prediction was just an outstanding moment. It was the perfect way to roll up all the energy from the episode into one great moment.

Mar 2, 2011 8:56 AM
Jun 2010
freakin awesome!
Jul 7, 2011 2:48 AM

May 2010
YEAH GET HIM TAKAMURA SAN
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 20, 2011 8:47 PM

May 2010
Great episode! Takamura is really amazing! Its mind boggling on how can survived Hawks' onslaught.. he's so close in winning and has more of a chance then Date haha :-D
Aug 21, 2011 3:07 PM
Nov 2009
GO TAKAMURA!!!
Sep 2, 2013 8:15 AM

Jul 2013
This was an awesome episode, Takamura was just epic when he was coming back and whaling on Hawk. I guess that's his true potential, even Hawk is having trouble with him, and that KO proclamation was just awesome, let's see how the rest of this fight goes.
Sep 22, 2013 5:39 AM

May 2013
Woah its very intense i

the Rising is about to air so must finish this now

Takamura is our Idol :D
Nov 27, 2013 8:48 PM

Nov 2011
That's right Hawk, who's your daddy now
Jan 24, 2014 10:50 AM

Jun 2009
noteDhero said:

I think you need to pull your head out of your ass and re-watch the episode if you seriously somehow managed to delude yourself into thinking the episode was anything like that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

65 by GingZ »»
May 27, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 30, 2009

127 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 12, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

140 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 11, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.