Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 24, 2009 12:58 PM
May 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty good episode. Nothing to really complain about since it followed the manga faithfully.
Mar 24, 2009 1:53 PM
Apr 2008
i agree, although only minor gripe was that the music direction for the episode was a bit all over the place, the new guitar song kicked ass though : ), and the final punch didn't really feel like a 'fight finisher' if anybody gets me.

Onto the beach episode though and i can't wait to see how they handle this
Mar 24, 2009 2:53 PM
May 2007
as for the final punch, i got not problem with it, but mostly the angle of it in comparison to the manga's angle
Mar 24, 2009 3:03 PM
Apr 2008
thats basically what i mean, also Nao's reaction to the punch just seemed stiff rather than 'fuck that hurt!'
Mar 25, 2009 4:34 AM

Mar 2008
Well, most actual boxing fights aren't uber dramatic, you get hit, you fall, there you go. I have no complaints with the KO itself.

Ok episode, hopefully some humor or something next week.
Mar 25, 2009 7:20 AM

Nov 2007
this episode was very well executed. Great!
Mar 25, 2009 9:28 AM

Nov 2007
Eh can't complain, wasn't expecting the world from this fight...I was kinda hoping he was going to do the Takamura and just pummel Nao with just his left, but oh well what can you do....and yea the music was kinda out of place, should save it for more epic fight moments.
Mar 25, 2009 11:35 AM

Jul 2008
callmeagnew said:
Onto the beach episode though and i can't wait to see how they handle this

Seriously one of the best scenes in the entire series. Realy hope they keep it together.

Anyhoo, the episode was alright. I wasn't really a huge fan of this fight in the manga, and I'm still not. While faithful to the manga, I definitely think it was better suited for it's original medium. I personally enjoyed the music too, but I digress... I just want the beach episode.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Mar 25, 2009 4:55 PM

May 2007
Glad the Geromichi arc is over. The ending to the fight was well done.

Here's hoping for better and bigger fights ahead.
Mar 25, 2009 8:25 PM

Aug 2008
I didn't really like this episode. It undercut both Ippo and Nao way too much as characters.

Besides the fact that Ippo was getting beat up for no apparant reason for almost the first half of the episode (I'm guessing to stall for time's sake), this match was supposed to show Ippo being emotionally tougher as a fighter, and, if anything, he ended up weaker. Going to grab Nao at the end of the fight? That's plain ridiculous, and makes me think I underestimated his problem more now than before.

Also, this was made out to be this big swansong for Nao, and at the last minute he changes his mind. I personally think it would have been better for him to bow out since the only way he was able to claw himself to this point was by punishing his body and cheating, but whatever. His use in the show is pretty much over since he couldn't even do what he was supposed to do (sharpen up Ippo mentally).

This was a useless arc.
Mar 25, 2009 8:45 PM
May 2007
just wait for the next fight to see how ippo develops, as well as his fight with sawamura.

ippo vs hammer nao isn't my top favorite fight, but i thought it was cool that they brought him back in a way i never expected.
Mar 25, 2009 8:49 PM

Jul 2008
ParaParaJMo said:
just wait for the next fight to see how ippo develops, as well as his fight with sawamura.

ippo vs hammer nao isn't my top favorite fight, but i thought it was cool that they brought him back in a way i never expected.

Oh I'd love for them to animate Sawamura, but that's SO long from now it isn't funny. I'd actually be really excited for them to do the
That was actually one of my favorite bits in the manga. But I'd greatly appreciate Shimabukuro too.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Mar 26, 2009 11:46 AM
Nov 2008
Dropped the anime after this ep, Ippo is still a QQ emo boxer, that will never change and while it worked for the original series as he was developing as a boxer, now that he is the champ he should be less of a faggot and start tearing shit up. I specifically didn't read the manga in hopes that one day they would revive the series, and now that they did I wish they hadn't.

I realize it's being true to the manga by and large but the characters never grow, Ippo still takes too many hits, every fit is still a challenge when he should have torn Nao to shreds, he still acts like a little girl. I would have rather been ignorant to the failure of this series than see it animated in HD :\
Mar 26, 2009 8:44 PM

Oct 2008
Lol, keep watching the anime (or read the manga), and you will realize you are wrong.
Mar 27, 2009 4:10 PM

Jan 2009
I loved it, a excellent fight Yamada evolved considerably, but the evolution of Ippo was brilliant, he reminded me of Date.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2009 8:21 PM
May 2007
the closest i ever came to quitting was when
but now i'm glad i didn't
Mar 28, 2009 12:24 AM

Mar 2009
noteDhero said:
I didn't really like this episode. It undercut both Ippo and Nao way too much as characters.

Besides the fact that Ippo was getting beat up for no apparant reason for almost the first half of the episode (I'm guessing to stall for time's sake), this match was supposed to show Ippo being emotionally tougher as a fighter, and, if anything, he ended up weaker. Going to grab Nao at the end of the fight? That's plain ridiculous, and makes me think I underestimated his problem more now than before.

Also, this was made out to be this big swansong for Nao, and at the last minute he changes his mind. I personally think it would have been better for him to bow out since the only way he was able to claw himself to this point was by punishing his body and cheating, but whatever. His use in the show is pretty much over since he couldn't even do what he was supposed to do (sharpen up Ippo mentally).

This was a useless arc.

I gotta disagree. I mean Ippo got to learn how a champion needs to act in order to move on. And I do think it was nice that he softened up at the very end because it still shows that he cares about Nao, and he was tough for a good portion of the fight right up till then. Besides the fight was over anyway so I don't blame him.

And when it comes to Nao I was always hoping that he wouldn't quit and thankfully that's exactly what happened. Even if Ippo was his only goal, Nao has at least realized the potential he actually has to become stronger. To be honest I'd be angry with him if he had quit.

It was a pretty entertaining fight too. Like some others said, the music wasn't quite there (I really haven't gotten used to it yet, the new music just seems out of place to me), but it was entertaining to see how Ippo tried to deal with the fact that he was fighting his junior, and I'm glad that Nao was able to get the message he was trying to send to Ippo across.

Overall I gave the ep. a 4/5.
Mar 28, 2009 11:37 AM

Aug 2008
He learned how a champion needs to act, but he didn't act that way. It was clear in what Takamura was saying: Ippo was fighting recklessly to finish the fight, not intelligently and cautiously like normal. He was totally out of character, and not in a way that meant he was developing.
Mar 28, 2009 4:54 PM

Mar 2009
I think he eventually did figure it out towards the end of the match though.
Mar 29, 2009 11:58 AM
May 2007
well regardless, i think ippo cared about geromichi since he was his first kouhai. i think he can't let go of that and i think he was just trying to be a good sport by helping him. but it's over, and it's time to move onto ippo on the beach 2
Mar 31, 2009 12:11 PM
Dec 2007
Good episode, nothing more. The fight wit Gero-michi wasn't really the best fight of the series.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 1, 2009 12:27 AM

Jul 2008
Superb episode, I couldn't ask for anything more in this fight. And looks like we have our first comedy episode next episode, I'm excited to see how this one will be done, since the first series' was done so perfectly.
Apr 2, 2009 2:59 AM

Jul 2008
damn this ep was beastly ippo proves y he a beast and nao still showed emotion im glad nao didnt retire^^
Apr 21, 2009 12:13 PM

Aug 2007
Hool said:
I loved it, a excellent fight Yamada evolved considerably, but the evolution of Ippo was brilliant, he reminded me of Date.

i think so too. imo ippo did grow a lot in this episode. the only reason he tried grabbing nao was because he already knew the match was over.
Jul 17, 2010 10:09 AM

Apr 2009
You're not easily pleased are ya noteDhero?

It wasn't a bad fight, but there has been better. Still not really liking the OST aswell.
Jan 5, 2011 2:47 PM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
He learned how a champion needs to act, but he didn't act that way. It was clear in what Takamura was saying: Ippo was fighting recklessly to finish the fight, not intelligently and cautiously like normal. He was totally out of character, and not in a way that meant he was developing.

Pretty much my main annoyance with this arc. Ippo had some good moments, like that comment about being stronger from the experience of losing. But by and large Ippo is incredibly slow to mature. He's 20 or so now, he's gotta make some real progress or it's going to be incredibly vexing and unrealistic. I will admit that overall bringing his first kouhai back as that beast was a good surprise and really creative.

Jan 10, 2011 5:13 PM

Sep 2008
Finally, finally, finally Geromichi is out. Finally. I HATE that guy, just plain annoying, every episode with his is just unbearable to me.
Ippo, I don't know what to think of him. He needs to grow up, quickly. One would expect him to learn from his previous 15 fights, but he still acts the same in every frackin fight.

Oh well, at least other boxers are good.
After this last 2 episodes of emo chrap, hopefully thinks get better now.
Feb 21, 2011 11:48 AM
Jun 2010
i really liked this episode, really well done!
Jul 14, 2011 10:40 PM

May 2010
Yea! Finally the fight is over.. clearly not one of my favorites but nonetheless Ippo is still the champ! In the fight.. he wasn't fighting in his usually form.. the calm and intelligently.. It goes to show how hard it is to fight friends in the ring :-P
Aug 20, 2011 4:56 PM
Nov 2009
i hate geromichi hope he doesnt come back...
Jul 25, 2012 3:10 PM

Jan 2012
He finally got rid of his terrible attitude at the end, it was pretty emotional
Jul 31, 2013 6:49 AM

May 2011
thump up for Geromichi, although he made some dirty moves but i gonna love him
looks forwards to the next match
Aug 31, 2013 10:12 PM

Jul 2013
This was a good fight, but I expected more from Ippo considering that he's the champ and he has defeated boxers that were way more vicious than Geromichi, I guess he let the kouhai thing get to his head. But it was good that he had this fight, cause it helped develop both Geromichi and Ippo develop as boxers, so I enjoyed this match. Now onto that beach episode =3
Sep 18, 2013 1:48 PM

Sep 2012
I would've loved Ippo to have caught Yamada in his arms rather than the ref stopping them.
Fine episode, but not quite as thrilling as Date's past fight. Yamada became kind of over-the-top looking out of nowhere after the 2.5 years. It would've had a better kouhai-senpai impact if he looked like used to, but just more muscular and excited to fight Ippo, where he was practically sociopathic at times, especially prior to the fight.
Still cool anyway, loving Hajime no Ippo and can't wait till s3.
Oct 27, 2013 12:11 AM

Mar 2012
Probably my least favorite fight of the whole series so far.
Jan 24, 2014 3:51 AM

Jun 2009
Good shit. Nice to see that Gero-michi isn't retiring.
Aug 13, 2014 9:08 AM

May 2012
Nice victory it was pretty much already known from the beginning of the match that Ippo would win but still pretty lovely! Let's see what happens next!
Jan 28, 2015 4:31 AM

Sep 2011
Wow probably my least favorite fight in the whole series. ippo it's been almost 90 episodes are you ever going to mature?.. come on man your the champ and you still act like a wimp freaking unbelievable.
Mar 3, 2015 7:26 AM

Jul 2012
I love the OST in the beginning when Geromichi was beating up on Ippo. This might've been my least favorite arc, but I'm looking forward to the next one.
Oct 31, 2015 9:58 AM
Nov 2014
Wasn't as epic as I thought it would be, still pretty decent. Nice win for Ippo, second title defense successful!
Feb 23, 2016 8:20 PM

Jan 2016
BasaraTheSlayer said:
Wow probably my least favorite fight in the whole series. ippo it's been almost 90 episodes are you ever going to mature?.. come on man your the champ and you still act like a wimp freaking unbelievable.

^ This x100000000
Mar 28, 2016 1:47 AM

Aug 2013
Agree with everyone in that this was by far the worst fight in the series so far. Already stated why this fight was retarded last ep, and everything held true for this one too.

Just glad this arc is over. Looks like next week we got a comedy ep which are always great
Jun 30, 2016 9:14 PM

Jan 2013
Went down the way it had to.
Jul 29, 2017 2:46 PM

Apr 2011
Pretty amazing how barely anyone even paid attention to the fight with all this "Ippo needs to mature" crap. Even spelling it out wasn't enough for you guys, huh? The reason he let Yamada beat up on him in the first half of the episode was to, essentially, send Yamada the exact same message Date sent Ippo. Your punches and conviction are light. He's more than matured as a champion, but that doesn't mean he has to be a dick to someone who has obviously lost and is falling.
Dec 16, 2017 4:25 PM
Dec 2017
You guys are weird. I get that ippo is a boxing champ, but he is supposed to be kind and stuff to act as a foil for his opponents. Otherwise, the other people wouldn't stand out as much and the series would just turn into a bunch of maniacs beating each other up. Also, Geromichi was kinda a distraction from the "main" plot sometimes, but I liked how he was sorta like ippo in the beginning.
Dec 20, 2017 4:28 PM

Jun 2015
To me it looked like Ippo was clearly letting Geromichi hiting him up most of the time, specially in the 2nd round. He wasn't even trying to block them, he was just standing there up waiting with his body exposed. Maybe it was a mix of showing him the difference of level btwn the two and that his punches while being strong to knock a regular boxer were not enough to affect him and also a way to let him show off a bit. Although he really tried to knock him down in the first round.
But I agree, he's totally not acting like a champ and I would like to start seeing some kind of development in that aspect in the near future. More confidence and making some kind of show during his presentation before a fight and also after winning the fights would be cool.

On the other side, I thought Geromichi would really be stronger and give a tougher match to Ippo and I was a bit dissapointed that we didn't get to see his backstory through the last 2 years. I wanted to know his exact reasons for being a "prick" and pretend to be tough and why he looks so emaciated now (bald, no eyebrows, cavity of the eyes, cut in the left ear, ect).
But it's confirmed Geromichi is still truly a good guy and still respects and admire Ippo.
MMiyamotoDec 20, 2017 4:33 PM
Nov 25, 2018 5:20 AM

Oct 2012
Aww ok I do feel bad for Geromichi
Though I don't know why he such an asshole when he met them all
I mean sure you've through some hell

2nd Champion Belt defense completed! Way too rough fight compared to others
But in the end it wrapped up pretty well.. I guess?
"Signature removed"
Jun 17, 2019 5:44 AM

Jul 2015
Seems like Ippo has learnt what it takes to be a pro, glad that everything has been resolved.

Mar 13, 2020 4:10 PM

May 2015
Finalyy barfmichi fall. I never was big fan of him.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 17, 2020 9:05 PM

Mar 2018
Probably my least favorite arc in the series.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 30, 2009

127 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 12, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

140 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 11, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

64 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 21, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.