Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 7, 2012 9:16 PM

Oct 2012
Okay so I just finished watching the first episode of this show, as recommended by my friends who STATED that it was really popular in Japan.

I don't see what's so great about it, honestly, the entire episode was so and so.

I don't understand why it's so appealing, seems like a childish anime to me. Im don't think there's really going to be a major storyline.

I swear this is just an excuse to put girls and tank together. Tankwondo? Really? Is this show supposed to take place in an alternate universe?

Im guessing this anime is targeted towards those military-otaku typish guys. There's plenty of guys like that in Japan.

No action at all, really wasn't what I was expecting...

Sorry for criticizing here, but just wanted to get it out.

GG.
Star_BoyDec 4, 2012 7:28 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 7, 2012 9:50 PM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:
I don't understand why it's so appealing, seems like a childish anime to me. Im don't think there's really going to be a major storyline.
The great thing about it being childish is because it is serious about being childish. Take an absurd and even ridiculous premise but treat it with respect and love, and it turns into something really entertaining. Have you seen Saki the anime, by the way? Or Strike Witches?
Danielcook said:

I swear this is just an excuse to put girls and tank together. Tankwondo? Really? Is this show supposed to take place in an alternate universe?
Of course suspension of disbelief is called for -- who believes there is such huge carrier carrying a town on the sea? Who believes tanks can be turned into a tournament sports that are treated as a culture and tradition to be practiced by females? The thing is we don't let ourselves delve into it too much, just take it and go along with the ride.
Danielcook said:

Im guessing this anime is targeted towards those military-otaku typish guys. There's plenty of guys like that in Japan.
Targeted first to the anime fans and then the military fans. It is a midnight anime so the first group that it has to appeal first is the anime fans. From what I followed in Japanese forums, the military fans only came later when they heard how much details and how respectful the staff treated the military aspects and tank details. The abundance of trivia stuff about military history in the anime also helps.

From the comments I read in those forums, anime fans are grateful that even though they don't know about tanks and military, they still enjoy the anime a lot. (but of course they find double enjoyment when they start to learn about the tanks and the military stuff) They particularly love the interactions of the character, and how it depicts their putting their heart into a goal and strive for it. If you ask about "a major storyline" isn't that a major storyline?

Danielcook said:

No action at all, really wasn't what I was expecting...
Action is what got people to jump up with joy in the last 2 episodes aired.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 8, 2012 5:44 AM
Nov 2012
Episode 1 isn't really a good gauge of what this series has to offer. So far (up to episode 5), this is one of those series that actually gets better the further in. The last two episodes have some of the better action scenes of this season's anime, and it's unique for having plausibly realistic tank tactics (even if certain aspects are flubbed for artistic reasons), something you don't see much in anime.

It's the combination of it being somewhat respectful to its inspiration - tanks - along with cute girls and the crazy world setting that's the biggest draw for me.
Nov 8, 2012 9:56 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
(shrug) if you don't like it, you don't like it. Nothing wrong with that. Some like vanilla, some don't.

I was lured in by the tanks and morbid curiosity - I figured it was just a stupid excuse to mix girls and tanks as well, and figured I'd drop it after about the third episode. But as the story progressed I found myself liking it more and more.
Nov 8, 2012 12:08 PM

Dec 2007
@OP

Let's be honest here. How many movies can you name with realistic tank combat taking center stage. Excepting films that have a minute or two's worth and nothing else, what's left? The only one I can really think of is Lebanon. Most of the others are either wildly inaccurate depictions, or only show the perspective of infantry fighting tanks. Heck, even Lebanon only deals with tank-on-infantry fighting.

What about TV shows? I can't think of any. Can you? Anime? It's actually, and surprisingly, not present in anything I've seen (the closest was Flag, but that's still mecha). Basically, you only really find realistic tank combat in the occasional video game, which obviously distills the who teamwork bit, or print media, which relies on imagination.

The somewhat decent characters and the amusingly absurd world are mainly there to increase the fanbase to make it more profitable. It was the same with Starship Operators (realistic space combat), and Tactical Roar (surface naval), both of which deal with something that's surprisingly sparse in video media.
Nov 8, 2012 5:53 PM

Oct 2012
Sorry guys, I decided to give this anime another try, i'll be generous this time, and perhaps I may find some enjoyment in it.

Wish me guys luck.

btw just curious, what's the average age of the audience for this anime, and is it mostly targeted towards boys or girls?
Nov 8, 2012 7:05 PM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:
btw just curious, what's the average age of the audience for this anime, and is it mostly targeted towards boys or girls?
It is a midnight anime, so it is definitely not targeted to kids. Midnight anime's targeted audience is usually the young adults or teenagers.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Nov 8, 2012 8:07 PM

Jul 2010
This anime is one of the worst pieces of crap ive ever seen.

But i still watch it only because its so bad its good, i get more laughs out of this series that i do with most comedies. the ridiculous premise coupled with some of the worst characters ever and the bizzare script allow for some truly hilariously bad moments.
Nov 8, 2012 8:11 PM

Apr 2012
I have not watched this yet, but it really just seems so absurd to have tanks and girls together like this.
Nov 8, 2012 8:16 PM

Sep 2012
magic_kaito said:
This anime is one of the worst pieces of crap ive ever seen.

But i still watch it only because its so bad its good, i get more laughs out of this series that i do with most comedies. the ridiculous premise coupled with some of the worst characters ever and the bizzare script allow for some truly hilariously bad moments.
Seems the same thing can be said for a lot of anime too, including Detective Conan LOL

Nov 9, 2012 2:31 AM

Sep 2012
Jeav said:
I have not watched this yet, but it really just seems so absurd to have tanks and girls together like this.

That's what make this show so appealing. Moe girls and tanks is a great contrast. It also has a lot of elements of sports anime. Take a look at the backstory of some girls. They are really similar to some classic backstory of some sports anime (the guy who plays a sport in spite of his family's desire, the guy who managed to make friends through the sport...). I like how this anime blends different type of genre.
Nov 9, 2012 3:02 AM

Aug 2010
It's pure, undiluted FUN. Seriously, I find this to be the most entertaining show that I'm watching this season and during the past couple of months I've been very rarely satisfied by any show, I've become too critical lately. However, when I'm watching these 24 minutes fly by I just have this shit-eating grin on my face and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The best best part of my week is watching cute girls doing tank things. I don't care about anything else.
Nov 9, 2012 3:06 AM

Jun 2007
SetsukoHara said:
Jeav said:

That's what make this show so appealing. Moe girls and tanks is a great contrast.

I wouldn't say it's all that great a contrast when it's such an overdone thing. Not SPECIFICALLY girls and tanks, but girls and things like guns or war or aerial combat. All of which have already been done to death and diminished that contrast into something pretty normal to see.

Not to say the show is bad or good, but I really wouldn't say that's what makes it appealing given you can find that exact same contrast easily in anime these days.
Nov 9, 2012 3:09 AM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:

I wouldn't say it's all that great a contrast when it's such an overdone thing. Not SPECIFICALLY girls and tanks, but girls and things like guns or war or aerial combat. All of which have already been done to death and diminished that contrast into something pretty normal to see
What it is so outstanding is, as much as the initial expectation is "yeah, so what, it's already been done to death" of meh-ness and then you discover it still can be done refreshingly and intelligently, with love and care. This is why this "contrast" can still surprise and please, and make people think "it is great after all".

Nov 9, 2012 3:16 AM

Jun 2007
symbv said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

I wouldn't say it's all that great a contrast when it's such an overdone thing. Not SPECIFICALLY girls and tanks, but girls and things like guns or war or aerial combat. All of which have already been done to death and diminished that contrast into something pretty normal to see
What it is so outstanding is, as much as the initial expectation is "yeah, so what, it's already been done to death" of meh-ness and then you discover it still can be done refreshingly and intelligently, with love and care. This is why this "contrast" can still surprise and please, and make people think "it is great after all".

In such a case I'd agree, but I don't really think it being done to death makes it BAD necessarily, just that it makes the contrast - which is more based on the IDEA itself rather than execution - less of a worth mentioning aspect.

I suppose you're right though, as I'm sure regardless how I was thinking of it, many people probably assume it's shitty because of that reason - and found it to be good because it exceeded their expectations with how it was actually handled and played out.
Nov 9, 2012 3:38 AM

Nov 2009
I quite like the show, it's like Upotte in a way but better.

Alot of the characters are very appealing as there is at least one character for every niche going here.

Got two myself : Mako and Anzu <3
Nov 9, 2012 5:42 AM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
I wouldn't say it's all that great a contrast when it's such an overdone thing. Not SPECIFICALLY girls and tanks, but girls and things like guns or war or aerial combat. All of which have already been done to death and diminished that contrast into something pretty normal to see.

Yeah, but I was specifically talking about tanks there. Guns had already their manliness, but tanks haven't.
That's why I started this but not Upotte when it came out.
Nov 9, 2012 4:30 PM

Jul 2010
symbv said:
Seems the same thing can be said for a lot of anime too, including Detective Conan LOL

How can the same be said for detective conan?
Nov 9, 2012 4:36 PM

Jul 2010
symbv said:

Nothing about this show is refreshing, intelligent or been handled with love and care.

Its a done to death formulaic turd thats so stupid that virtually every line of dialogue makes no sense or contradicts whats going on. And as for care and love replace those with greed and empathy.
Nov 9, 2012 7:42 PM

Oct 2012
magic_kaito said:
symbv said:

Nothing about this show is refreshing, intelligent or been handled with love and care.

Its a done to death formulaic turd thats so stupid that virtually every line of dialogue makes no sense or contradicts whats going on. And as for care and love replace those with greed and empathy.

appeal to the masses, maximize profits.

If this kind of stuff is in demand, then its the industry's job to deliver to the people.

That's whats its all about
Nov 9, 2012 9:59 PM

Jul 2010
Danielcook said:

If this kind of stuff is in demand, then its the industry's job to deliver to the people.

Yeah but there supposed to be some kind of artistic input in all shows, some attempt to actually create something good and not just something that sells.

A lot of the best anime out there are ones that at first glance would not appear to sell well.
Nov 10, 2012 3:37 AM

Sep 2012
magic_kaito said:
Well, I am repeating comments talked by fans. It is not just my opinion only. It is intelligent because the tanks move and do battle in realistic way. Refreshing because they do not use this girls meet whatever to make a parody or slapstick or pretext for some romcom or slice-of-life comedy. It is treated with love and care because the sakuga of the tanks is great and care because of all the tank/military references put in the anime. Of course you may only just see things that is up to your intelligence level.
magic_kaito said:

Detective Conan done to death formulaic turd thats so stupid that virtually every line of dialogue makes no sense or contradicts whats going on. Hater language applies to any anime he hates. So what you said can apply to every single anime you watch and like. This is why what you said is just stupid.

If every line of dialogue makes no sense or contradicts whats going on, it should be easy for you to give us a few examples?

Nov 10, 2012 3:50 AM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:

It is that simple? Is it that easy to predict what appeals to the masses? Anime fans is not a mass market anyway.

And it is not as if such theme can always sell. Upotte hardly sold well. Shouldn't it be a sign then that this kind of girls + military should be avoided? So at the end it is not really simple - they are sure if there is a demand, but they took the risk and see if it can be popular.

magic_kaito said:

Yeah but there supposed to be some kind of artistic input in all shows, some attempt to actually create something good and not just something that sells.

A lot of the best anime out there are ones that at first glance would not appear to sell well.
Apply precisely to Girls und Panzer. At first everyone doubted it will sell more than the level of the core moe fanbase, but it turned out that people notice there was serious attempt to create a good anime and they found it interesting as well as engaging. This is why it has become the talk of the town. Its success is never predestined, in fact most fans in Japan deemed it one of the less popular shows of the season at the beginning.

Nov 10, 2012 4:18 AM

Nov 2009
The plot of this anime is quite stupid and ridiculous. However, the show itself acknowledges how stupid its plot is and just build up the story with that plot.

You can say that they intend to make the plot like that and the anime doesn't try a bit to convince people to believe in what it throw at them....This show is different from some shows that is stupid but tried to be smart , and failed.

That is what I like about this show.

OF couse, not everyone will enjoy this knid of plot ,but I would like people to try to watch at least ep.1-4 before deciding you will continue or not. (ep.4 is the example of 'what is this show truly about')

Also, they put a lot of detail and parody about tank & history in this show (You might not notice this if you don't know much about a tank or WWII history)

For example, in ep.4 you may wonder about......

- Why many shots are missed when firing at moving target? Why they almost never hit each other unless they fire at the close range?
- Why they need to go close at taget to fire?
- Why they don't fire at the front of the tank?

but thre is a real life explanation for those questions.
Marina2Nov 10, 2012 4:22 AM
Nov 10, 2012 4:22 AM

Sep 2012
Marina2 said:
The plot of this anime is quite stupid and ridiculous. However, the show itself acknowledges how stupid its plot is and just build up the story with that plot.
You can say that they intend to make the plot like that and the anime doesn't try a bit to convince people to believe in what it throw at them
One thing I like about this anime (and I find quite many who has similar views) is that despite the silliness of the premise, they portray the girls taking the senshado seriously and respectfully. And we see the characters treat the tanks with love and respect, and go seriously about succeeding in senshado. Senshado itself is never treated as a joke by the characters or by the staff, as is too common when such silly idea is portrayed in an anime.

Nov 10, 2012 3:08 PM

Jul 2010
symbv said:
magic_kaito said:
Well, I am repeating comments talked by fans. It is not just my opinion only. It is intelligent because the tanks move and do battle in realistic way. Refreshing because they do not use this girls meet whatever to make a parody or slapstick or pretext for some romcom or slice-of-life comedy. It is treated with love and care because the sakuga of the tanks is great and care because of all the tank/military references put in the anime. Of course you may only just see things that is up to your intelligence level.
magic_kaito said:

Detective Conan done to death formulaic turd thats so stupid that virtually every line of dialogue makes no sense or contradicts whats going on. Hater language applies to any anime he hates. So what you said can apply to every single anime you watch and like. This is why what you said is just stupid.

If every line of dialogue makes no sense or contradicts whats going on, it should be easy for you to give us a few examples?

Okay how is it intelligent because the tanks move and do battle in realistic way? just because they dont fly and shoot magic rainbows dosent make it intelligent, it just means the creators know how a fucking tank works, whoopdy doo.

And its not refreshing just because its not a rom-com or a parody, it would have worked better as a parody because then these riddiciously stupid idea`s would have been intentionally funny rather than just idiotic. its still the same old cute girls doing stupid things for moe reasons that we see every season.

The only reason they put so much care into the tank/military references is to try to appeal to military otakus as much as possible rather than out of love or respect for history.

Okay first off why Detective Conan again? it because my pictures from detective conan? your quite pathetic

Detective conan is not a done to death formulaic turd, it has problems thats for sure but it can be very clever at times with some of the cases being the best mysteries in anime.

And as for every line of dialogue making no sense or contradicting what's going on in girls und panzer, how about when they say they have an emphasis on safety despite the fact that there firing live shells at each other whist driving around wearing no protection in old rusty filled with fuel fucking TANKS!! This is about as safe as kicking a lion up the ass.
Nov 10, 2012 9:14 PM

Sep 2012
magic_kaito said:

Okay how is it intelligent because the tanks move and do battle in realistic way? just because they dont fly and shoot magic rainbows dosent make it intelligent, it just means the creators know how a fucking tank works, whoopdy doo.
The fact that you reduce a realistic depiction of tank and tank battles to mere "Not fly and shoot magic" already shows your tendency to be dismissive and ignorant by jumping to conclusion without paying attention. We were discussing the realistic slow turn of the turret of the Churchill tank compared to a Pz IV in the anime. Of course this means nothing to you as you just failed to care but love to rant.
magic_kaito said:

And its not refreshing just because its not a rom-com or a parody, it would have worked better as a parody because then these riddiciously stupid idea`s would have been intentionally funny rather than just idiotic. its still the same old cute girls doing stupid things for moe reasons that we see every season.
No, because everyone expected it as a parody or romcom, but it turned out to be entirely different from what people expected. This is what makes it refreshing. And your shallow understanding of the anime just made me think that you only look at some trailers and then got judgmental right afterwards, or you just watch without paying attention.
magic_kaito said:

The only reason they put so much care into the tank/military references is to try to appeal to military otakus as much as possible rather than out of love or respect for history.
Well, military otakus demands love and respect for history too. The goals are not exclusive to each other.
magic_kaito said:

Okay first off why Detective Conan again? it because my pictures from detective conan? your quite pathetic

Detective conan is not a done to death formulaic turd, it has problems thats for sure but it can be very clever at times with some of the cases being the best mysteries in anime.
Because your hate words are just a bunch of platitudes that every hater loves to use to trash an anime that he does not really know. Valid criticisms they are not, but just stupid regurgitation of the vocab book of hate language. So what you said could just apply to any anime you happen to hate. And if you think I am pathetic, you react correctly, because this just goes to show how pathetic you and your attitude are.
magic_kaito said:

And as for every line of dialogue making no sense or contradicting what's going on in girls und panzer, how about when they say they have an emphasis on safety despite the fact that there firing live shells at each other whist driving around wearing no protection in old rusty filled with fuel fucking TANKS!! This is about as safe as kicking a lion up the ass.
We know some premise is ridiculous. We know it is crazy to say tank battle is safe or an air carrier can carry a whole town. But how does it make "every line of dialogue" making no sense? And the talk about the safety in tank battles does not contradict anything inside the anime. It may not be true in our real world, but within the world of the anime, it is not contradictory.
symbvNov 10, 2012 9:20 PM

Nov 10, 2012 11:01 PM

Jul 2010
Ive never heard anyone use the line "Its a done to death formulaic turd thats so stupid that virtually every line of dialogue makes no sense or contradicts whats going on" before but i dont spend a lot of time hating on shows, maybe you do but whatever...

Look, i dont give a shit who like this show or why, i like it, only because its so bad I get a good laugh every time its on, and for the record ive seen every episode so far. But what irks me is people calling this show refreshing or intelligent,

no matter how slow or fast your turrets turn or now matter how much you make the tanks seem like the real thing those are all small details compared with the characters and the story. And when the characters are horrible one dimensional cardboard cut-outs and the story is simplistic and nonsensical then you`ve made a big mistake somewhere along the line buddy.

As far as i can tell there where two ways to make this series work, either have it been an out-write comedy non-sense series about a bunch of girls fighting in tanks, don't take anything seriously, just have it be a straight up parody of the recent moe-weapons anime that have been crawling out of the wood work lately or..

Have it be a serious anime about fighting each other in tanks for sport, remove the girls only stupid thing, get rid of the crappy air-craft carrier idea, and make it a dark gritty series about being having to fight each in tanks for others amusement , kind of like the Hunger Games. this would be difficult to pull off but not impossible with a good director and script.

But instead they went somewhere in the middle and the result is this mess, where we`re supposed to take characters and their problems seriously in a world where high school girls actually believe that fighting in tanks is "cool" and they battle comically stereotypical rivals in cities built on top of aircraft carriers for some reason.
Nov 10, 2012 11:26 PM

Sep 2012
magic_kaito said:
Ive never heard anyone use the line "Its a done to death formulaic turd thats so stupid that virtually every line of dialogue makes no sense or contradicts whats going on" before but i dont spend a lot of time hating on shows, maybe you do but whatever...
"Done to death" already appears in so many comments about so many anime that it becomes just a slogan to throw around. "Every line of dialogue makes no sense" is also a common line, particularly with the inclusion of the sweeping word "every". I never use those words, as this kind of hateful remarks are almost never remotely accurate, but I have seen it used many times for a large range of different types of anime.

magic_kaito said:
But what irks me is people calling this show refreshing or intelligent,
I stand by what I say, and I can find no lack of fans who said the same thing. Compared to initial expectation of what the show is about, it is REFRESHING and INTELLIGENT. And its intelligence level is far above what most people expected when they first heard and looked at it. It seems that you just could not accept an anime with some silly premise can also be intelligent in many other ways. If there is anything that is simplistic, it would be your line of thought.

magic_kaito said:

no matter how slow or fast your turrets turn or now matter how much you make the tanks seem like the real thing those are all small details compared with the characters and the story. And when the characters are horrible one dimensional cardboard cut-outs and the story is simplistic and nonsensical then you`ve made a big mistake somewhere along the line buddy.
This is what I called "obsession with plot and so-called 3D character designs" because in your book you also want very in-depth character study which simply does not exist so much in a 1-cour midnight anime series, and no way it can explore it to the level of your satisfaction with only that many episodes. However from what they can do with the characters, they still put in the effort to look into the bonding of Miho and her team mates, as well as some of their back story. Nothing really spectacular there, but the story is decently told and it does not break any logic (your comment about "nonsensical" only applies when you bring the real world in and declare such and such setting does not make sense -- but that is not the story itself).
magic_kaito said:

As far as i can tell there where two ways to make this series work, either have it been an out-write comedy non-sense series about a bunch of girls fighting in tanks, don't take anything seriously, just have it be a straight up parody of the recent moe-weapons anime that have been crawling out of the wood work lately or..
I commend the staff for not taking that easy route, but instead do good research about tanks and make it look convincing and realistic. Your suggestion most likely will just make it yet another anime people are indifferent about. And I think Mizushima is doing a great job at direction, as he clearly balances out the appeal to different sector of fans so that no one side think it is being overwhelmed by too much military or girls but instead he made the cross-appeal works, and this is the biggest secret of its (totally unexpected) success.
magic_kaito said:

But instead they went somewhere in the middle and the result is this mess, where we`re supposed to take characters and their problems seriously in a world where high school girls actually believe that fighting in tanks is "cool" and they battle comically stereotypical rivals in cities built on top of aircraft carriers for some reason.
As if other rivals like those in Conan not comically stereotypical. All those standard hate language just goes to show that how little you really understand anime and its culture, locking yourself in enjoying only the very limited number of anime that suits your own refined taste.
symbvNov 11, 2012 2:14 AM

Nov 11, 2012 1:19 PM

Jul 2010
You must really have something against detective conan? LOL

Look, for a series called "girls und panzer" i wasn't expecting "Mushishi" or "Cowboy Bebop" I was expecting exactly this, and i don't hate it as ive said several times i get a good laugh each time i watch it , but there are two points im trying to make...

One= this series is not intelligent, i didnt expect it to be, its not, anyone who thinks it is, thats okay, but you might want to book an MRI scan.

Two= This series was made with one goal in mind, money, someone said whats popular today,

well shows with high school girls are popular but thats already being done by everybody so lets make it about high school girls and weapons, otakus like weapons right,

but what weapons will they have? guns have already been done as have planes, what about ships i could call it girls and battleships, no thats stupid...

what about girls and tanks?

Hey yeah we could make a story about high school girls driving around shooting at each other, thats not retarded at all, watch out citizen kane.

Yeah but lets call it girls und panzer like the german word, that`ll make us seem smart.

Oh your good, see this guy know whats hes doing, im keeping my eye on you.

sir how about they live on an aircraft carrier?

why?

Who gives a shit it means we can show military boats as well, the otakus will love it.

Oh my god you are a fucking genius, i love it!

Okay my minions go and write the shittiest script imaginable, put no thought into it at all, make these characters as one dimensional al possible, use every stereotype and anime cliché imaginable, and remember only girls because we`re perverts.

But sir shouldn't we put in some characterisation?

Are you mad, we`re making a anime not a fucking work of art, why would i want these characters to be relatable ?

But sir...

Okay all right, throw in some shitty back story for the main that only a monkey with his brain removed would find deep.

How about she used to do tankery but got in an accident as she obviously would because she`s` only a little girl driving a tank, oh,oh and her sisters a bitch for no reason?

lets see, its illogical, boring, overused, cliché as hell.... yep ticks all the boxes, use it.

We`ll be rolling in cash in no time sir

I know, first girls und panzer and then.... ZE WORLD!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHA

We're in the money, come on, my honey,: Let's lend it, spend it, send it rolling along!
OdysseusUlyssesNov 11, 2012 7:19 PM
Nov 11, 2012 10:08 PM

Sep 2012
magic_kaito said:
You must really have something against detective conan? LOL
No, I enjoy Detective Conan. It is only your self-righteous and arrogant attitude that I am against.

> Look, for a series called "girls und panzer" i wasn't expecting "Mushishi" or "Cowboy Bebop" I was expecting exactly this, and i don't hate it as ive said several times i get a good laugh each time i watch it , but there are two points im trying to make...

Your expectation is misplaced then. When the anime was first announced people expected Strike Witches and Upotte. I don't know what made you think Mushishi or Cowboy Bepop, which are the farthest from people's mind when they heard about this project. And by the time when the trailer video rolled out it should be very clear that it will not be any Mushishi.

> One= this series is not intelligent, i didnt expect it to be, its not, anyone who thinks it is, thats okay, but you might want to book an MRI scan.
Perhaps a brain scan and psychoanalysis is best for you because your simplistic one-dimensional thinking is biasing your arguments, big time.
As I said, the anime has silly premises, but it also shows intelligence on many aspects, and because they are done well it got its popularity. That popularity is earned, because of the love and care the staff took to put in those intelligent elements, be it about tanks specification or animation, or the historical trivia scattered around in the anime.

>Two= This series was made with one goal in mind, money, someone said whats popular today,
As if Detective Conan is not made with one goal, money, in mind? You are just being silly now.

magic_kaito said:
well shows with high school girls are popular but thats already being done by everybody so lets make it about high school girls and weapons, otakus like weapons right,
but what weapons will they have? guns have already been done as have planes, what about ships i could call it girls and battleships, no thats stupid...
what about girls and tanks?
Hey yeah we could make a story about high school girls driving around shooting at each other, thats not retarded at all, watch out citizen kane.
Yeah but lets call it girls und panzer like the german word, that`ll make us seem smart.
Oh your good, see this guy know whats hes doing, im keeping my eye on you.
sir how about they live on an aircraft carrier?
why?
Who gives a shit it means we can show military boats as well, the otakus will love it.
Oh my god you are a fucking genius, i love it!
Okay my minions go and write the shittiest script imaginable, put no thought into it at all, make these characters as one dimensional al possible, use every stereotype and anime cliché imaginable, and remember only girls because we`re perverts.
But sir shouldn't we put in some characterisation?
Are you mad, we`re making a anime not a fucking work of art, why would i want these characters to be relatable ?
But sir...
Okay all right, throw in some shitty back story for the main that only a monkey with his brain removed would find deep.
How about she used to do tankery but got in an accident as she obviously would because she`s` only a little girl driving a tank, oh,oh and her sisters a bitch for no reason?
lets see, its illogical, boring, overused, cliché as hell.... yep ticks all the boxes, use it.
We`ll be rolling in cash in no time sir
I know, first girls und panzer and then.... ZE WORLD!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHHA
We're in the money, come on, my honey,: Let's lend it, spend it, send it rolling along!
Sounding like retarded just does not make you more convincing. At the end you can only reduce your argument to stupid and clumsy caricature. You complain about one-dimensional cardboard cut of character but the truth is you produce your own one-dimensional cardboard cut of straw man to mock so as to satisfy your own ignorance and arrogance. This is of course high time you booked your brain MRI LOL LOL

Nov 11, 2012 10:23 PM

Jul 2010
symbv said:
]Sounding like retarded just does not make you more convincing. At the end you can only reduce your argument to stupid and clumsy caricature. You complain about one-dimensional cardboard cut of character but the truth is you produce your own one-dimensional cardboard cut of straw man to mock so as to satisfy your own ignorance and arrogance. This is of course high time you booked your brain MRI LOL LOL

Good to see you have a sense of humour. a stupid and clumsy caricature, there's something no ones ever said to me before. Ill be sure my next one is up to your standards my king.

By the way i have my MRI booked for next week buts its very expensive, so if you would like to help please send money to www.thisisnotascam.co.moonbase
Nov 12, 2012 12:15 AM

Sep 2012
magic_kaito said:
Good to see you have a sense of humour. a stupid and clumsy caricature, there's something no ones ever said to me before. Ill be sure my next one is up to your standards my king.
Yeah delusional talk is only funny when it is spoken by people who should have known better. But it would be a sad thing if the person just lives in his own illusion. I just wish you good luck with your pursuit of an entertaining anime experience, mindless as it is.

Nov 12, 2012 8:42 AM

Jul 2010
I also wish you good luck with your pursuit of an entertaining anime experience, your gonna need it.
Nov 12, 2012 8:46 AM

Sep 2012
magic_kaito said:
I also wish you good luck with your pursuit of an entertaining anime experience, your gonna need it.
And having it right now, cheers!

Nov 13, 2012 2:49 PM
Oct 2012
magic_kaito said:

Though I appreciate Kaito Kido, I really do think you need to change your id before complaining about how the animators are only using stereotypes in a bid to get more money, because honestly, that pot couldn't be any more black. Let's see: Gentleman thief with heart of gold, check. Only stealing to avenge father, check. High school student, check. Best friend girl, check, Secretly in love with girl, check, girl's father is police officer on the case, check. Trying to find a magic gem, check. Escapes from 100 cops using smoke bombs, check. Never hurts anyone, despite guns being used, check. Spinoff of successful series, check. Cameo appearance by more popular character, check. Love conflict, check. Love conflict knows true identity, check. Love conflict can use magic, check.

If they jammed one more trope into that series it would literally (and I do mean literally) explode. Just saying.

And all your complaints have either been answered by the animation, or have been answered on other threads, most of the revolve around people not understanding Japanese Culture. Don't blame others for your inability to understand.
Nov 13, 2012 3:34 PM

Dec 2009
Cute girls + Tanks = MONEY.
Japan loves this kind of stuff.
Nov 13, 2012 8:27 PM

Oct 2012
Girls and guns

The premise of GaruPan may seem implausible to some viewers. But truth can be stranger than fiction. There is a certain country. This was in the recent past. Every high school girl in the country was required to receive training in the use of a military rifle. This involved firing live rounds. They had to shoulder the weapon and deal with recoil. I don't know if, like Upotte, they wore their school uniforms on the shooting range. Due to this policy, at any time the government could call up 500 divisions of trained "riflegirls" (as opposed to "riflemen"). It is also the case that this country has never been successfully invaded, right up to this day. Stretching reality only slightly, their high schools might have broadened the list of options for the compulsory elective to include driving tanks, tank shell loading, tank gun aiming, tank gun firing, field artillery, assault weapons and so on.

I think that Symbv was entirely correct in drawing the analogy between Panzerfahren and Naginato-do (長刀道 ) which is a martial art using a halberd-like pole-knife weapon which quite possibly inspired Senshado in GaruPan. See Symbv's comments on Episode 1: Posts #36, #85, #157 and #160.
okanaganNov 13, 2012 9:28 PM
Nov 14, 2012 3:22 AM

Jan 2011
Stuartxtr7 said:

^ this hey i enjoy this for what it is and i like the balance of of it not taking it self to seriously,being kinda dumb and having some realistic elements if you really know anything about tanks.
Nov 14, 2012 7:44 AM

Sep 2012
Stuartxtr7 said:
Then why not Uppotte sold well? Simplistic one-dimensional thinking does not help you understand anime industry and Japan anime fandom better.

Nov 18, 2012 11:10 PM

Oct 2009
I found this treads to be funny.

okanagan said:
Girls and guns

The premise of GaruPan may seem implausible to some viewers. But truth can be stranger than fiction. There is a certain country. This was in the recent past. Every high school girl in the country was required to receive training in the use of a military rifle. This involved firing live rounds. They had to shoulder the weapon and deal with recoil. I don't know if, like Upotte, they wore their school uniforms on the shooting range. Due to this policy, at any time the government could call up 500 divisions of trained "riflegirls" (as opposed to "riflemen"). It is also the case that this country has never been successfully invaded, right up to this day. Stretching reality only slightly, their high schools might have broadened the list of options for the compulsory elective to include driving tanks, tank shell loading, tank gun aiming, tank gun firing, field artillery, assault weapons and so on.

I think that Symbv was entirely correct in drawing the analogy between Panzerfahren and Naginato-do (長刀道 ) which is a martial art using a halberd-like pole-knife weapon which quite possibly inspired Senshado in GaruPan. See Symbv's comments on Episode 1: Posts #36, #85, #157 and #160.

Yeah, during WW II they even already trained some of the school boys to fly Zero and handling artillery, and some countries in this world is still drafting it's citizen into millitary services each years. It's a sad reality that these days young people are already trained to harm other humans in actual combat of life and death.
Some people are missing the irony in Girl und Panzer.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 19, 2012 2:08 AM
Nov 2012
azzuRe said:

It's a sad reality that these days young people are already trained to harm other humans in actual combat of life and death.

No it isn't. Children being trained at a young age in combat and weapons handling have been a norm of society for most of human history spanning several millenia - how do you think societies based on hunting survived despite the low life expectancies at the time? The trend of having only people 16-18 and above handle weapons is quite recent, tying into the emerging concept of the age of adulthood becoming older.

In fact, the opposite of what you're saying is what's occurring right now: young people these days aren't getting enough training in weapons and combat, and I'm not talking about videogames. There's a lot more to firearms and combat vehicle operation than point and shoot.
Nov 19, 2012 2:23 AM

Oct 2009
No. You missed my point and it's relation to previous posts.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Nov 19, 2012 4:30 AM

Nov 2011
I just smile while watching this thread

Oh yeah, i also watch it with expectation same from when i watch upotte! and it turns out super better than Upotte!

Hope it helps
Dec 3, 2012 12:36 PM

Sep 2012
Might as well re-post here a discussion I had in News Section about Girls und Panzer. The context is why GirlPan seems to be on track to be the bestselling anime for the current season and this is my reply to a big skeptic:

First nobody, even in Japan, expected GnP to have more than mediocre sales. The consensus figure just before the anime started was 3500, not 13500. The character design looks old fashioned; the story seems to be all girl slice-of-life with tanks tagged on; the anime studio is a minor one which almost always does subcontractor works; the main cast are all little known seiyuu. The fact that it has become the talk of town, with expectation that it will be the TOP selling anime this season, and generated so much buzz (the recent Anko Festival in the country town Ooarai, that featured so much in ep.4, reported almost TRIPLE the attendance to almost 70,000 people this year compared to last year) with only original contents speaks volume that its success is hard earned not because of marketing hype or pre-existing fan base.

I think one review written by a casual anime fan in Amazon Japan (who also said he is not into moe stuff) gave a very good summary of the reasons.
It is long so I won't translate everything. But basically :

- The girls are not just cute (in fact many think that the character design is old school so did not expect the moe factor would be much effective but now many came to see them cute which is actually an indication that it is the actions in the anime that got the fans to see them as adorable), but there is good effort at looking into the characters and how they interact and bond together. Friendship and bonding may look a bit shounen but works like magic in the all-girl cast in GnP too.

- There is no fanservice whatsoever and they do not hold back from spending some time to shed lights on the adults even though it has such an enormous cast of high school girls.

- It shows a veritable respect for the Japanese tradition of turning deadly martial combat into sports that train people's heart and mind. Senshado is no different from the Japanese art of Judo, Kendo, Archery, or Nagimata-do (with the last one coming closest to Senshado as it is also a sports that is now female dominated but used to be a weapon used by Heian age soldiers which of course were all male). The deadly weapons are now turned into a tool for sports in which injury may occur but people do not generally expected to die in it. There is a concept of peace not war in it and there are just enough elements introduced to make the suspension of disbelief possible. More importantly, the girls are not in just for fun or to make antics, but seriously work hard to compete. It is just like a shounen sports series or old-time sports TV drama updated.

- The tanks design and animation is done very very very well. In almost all aspects it got the static picture as well as the motion (how fast the turret turns, how the suspension system in the track runs, or even how the girls should hold or load the shells) done correctly. This is something entirely unexpected and goes beyond the wildest dream for the military fans. The animation in the tank battles, like the one inside the Ooarai town in ep.4, is thrillingly made for example.

- Despite the point above, it does not need any advance knowledge about military for someone to enjoy. In fact it is a great fun for a military novice to learn about tanks from the anime. The 2ch discussion has a very large portion made up of discussions and interactions between the usual anime fans and the military fans.

- There are so many trivia planted throughout the anime that you can find references about military history or WWII themes here and there (symbv: this is true because I watched ep.4 SEVEN TIMES just to pick up the various references)

- And it is just fun to watch. While they put in a lot of efforts to depict many things impressively, they also put in a bunch of elements just to get you to smile or laugh about it: the gigantic carrier, the smashing of tanks into a restaurant etc etc (and they even give some explanation about it in the show or in Twitter). The humor of the staff is truly present there.

Personally I also did not start with much expectation but it just drew me in deeper and deeper as it goes on, and now it surely became one of the top shows for me in this season. This is a success story that is due to creativity and effort as well as love and respect, that fans can feel when they watch the show. This is why the anime made it when nobody expected it at the beginning. JAPAN WHY? Because enough fans pay attention.

Dec 3, 2012 4:57 PM

Oct 2012
just watched 4 episodes of this show.

It kind of reminds me of the adult "my little pony" fandom with tanks, and girls instead of ponies. I dont know why, it just does somehow...
Dec 3, 2012 5:41 PM
Oct 2012
Danielcook said:

It kind of reminds me of the adult "my little pony" fandom with tanks, and girls instead of ponies. I dont know why, it just does somehow...

I just read your comment.

It kind of reminds me of what a fourteen year old says, trying to act you know all "I'm so better than you and such". I don't know why, it just does somehow....
Dec 3, 2012 8:11 PM

Oct 2012
Welcome back from your travels, symbv !

In your Post #45, thanks very much for sharing your translation of that Amazon Japan review by a fan. It would be great if you can share the URL for those of us academics who like to refer to the original source.

One of his sentences stands out:

There is no fanservice whatsoever ...

I think that "whatsoever" is not precisely the correct word. But I'll leave it to others to suggest a better phrasing.

Sounding much more like an army general than an anime director, Tsutomu Mizushima ( 水島努監督 ) made this thundering statement,

「パンチラ厳禁!戦車無理すんな!」

which I'll amateurishly attempt to translate as

Panties are strictly forbidden ! . . Tanks must be accurately depicted !

I have watched the series very carefully up to this point, and apparently neither of these commands has been disobeyed.
okanaganDec 3, 2012 8:21 PM
Dec 4, 2012 3:52 AM

May 2010
if you don't get it right away then you'll never get it, and i pity the fools who don't get this show
Fiction Responsibly
Dec 4, 2012 7:08 PM

Oct 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Danielcook said:

I just read your comment.

It kind of reminds me of what a fourteen year old says, trying to act you know all "I'm better than you and such". I don't know why, it just does somehow....

I'm 16, so not that far away from 14, so what?

What's more immature, my post, or the fact that it bothered you so much you attempted to try and insult me, lmfao.

Star_BoyDec 4, 2012 7:21 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2012

191 by patkarunungan »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Oct 29, 2012

244 by patkarunungan »»
May 31, 5:45 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 22, 2012

122 by patkarunungan »»
May 31, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 15, 2012

119 by patkarunungan »»
May 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 8, 2012

251 by patkarunungan »»
May 30, 5:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.