Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 1, 12:30 PM
May 2023
Original shows aired in 2008 and a second season in 2009 with 2 OVAs. wondering how many of you cultured viewers have watched the original shows.
what are your opinions on the new remake and new character designs.
I'm loving the same VAs for Kraft and Holo so far and Holo looking just as mischievous as she did in the originals.
do you think the 25 EPs will adapt to where the second season left off at in the original shows too?

p.s. Martin, Holo is MY wife.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 1, 12:31 PM

May 2010
I watched the original series like 10 times. My favourite anime of all time
Infinite growth is the ideology of a cancer cell
Apr 1, 12:33 PM

Sep 2014
I watched it seasonally and it was one of my favourite show at the time. I was still hoping for a season 3 until recently.
Apr 1, 12:42 PM
Sep 2020
Hello dear mal users,my name is as said by the creator of the post Martin

I am here to address the madness that Holo is his wife, dear readers. His name is sayu-simp and he dares say Holo is his wife, madness ik, do not listen to his statement holo is 100% my wife

Yes I with gratitude thank you for reading
Apr 1, 12:46 PM
Aug 2022
Personally all I can say so far is I really like the new artstyle they’re going for with the remake. I love how vibrant Holo’s eyes are
Apr 1, 12:47 PM

Jul 2014
I love this anime I love the original and I'm already loving the remake, beautiful anime
Apr 1, 12:48 PM

May 2017
I watched the entire first series. I'm a bit iffy on the new character designs but I'm sure they will grow on me in time. I'm mostly looking forward to getting new content
Apr 1, 12:49 PM

Jan 2023
I've watched the original anime but it's been some time since I rewatched it.
I still enjoy rereading the manga from time to time though :)
Apr 1, 12:50 PM

Jul 2017
Watched the original series around 2017 and rewatched it a while back, can't remember exactly when. With the rewatch, I did like season 2 less than before but season 1 is still very strong. I did watch it in dub though so hearing characters in Japanese does feel a bit different to me. Character designs are closer to the books a bit and its fine, I prefer a more mature Holo but this one looks fine, it didn't bother me as much as when I found out Yuru Camp season 3 was having designs closer to the manga, which was such a huge downgrade for me.

25 should be fine. I do wonder though, are they going to adapt the same amount of volumes or are they going to speed it up a bit. I know that in the original anime, one volume was completely skipped and I assume that will be adapted here. So will it cover 1-4, 1-5 or more? Not too sure yet. Hopefully the pacing remains to be solid and consistent.
Apr 1, 12:55 PM
Nov 2015
I watched first season back in the day.
Apr 1, 12:56 PM
Dec 2023
I only watched in Feb of this year but became pretty obsessed and started reading LN after.

Currently I am kind of 50/50 on remake vs OG, I think the remake is doing some things really well, but there are also some things I preferred from the OG. For example, at the end Holo already starts to tease Lawrence by pushing up against him and flirting, I prefer this stuff to be more developed so when it happens I get a big smile from it, I didn't really care about it in that moment because they just met.

But overall it is very hard for me to make a proper comparison because to do so I really need the English VAs to come back :(
Apr 1, 12:59 PM

Apr 2012
I didn't watch it during the broadcast and the main hype, but eventually finished it in 2016 and 2022 when I started watching the anime again and decided to delve into many of the hits I had previously missed. I won't say I was ever a huge fan of the title, but I appreciate Holo's charisma and cult following, so I'm glad that years later she still got another chance to shine and become known among modern audiences.
RobertBobertApr 1, 1:08 PM
Apr 1, 1:06 PM
Dec 2014
Watched it back 2012 if I recall. Saw it in a SOL anime recommendation video and was curious. Best decision made, easily one of my faves since then.
Apr 1, 1:09 PM
Jun 2021
I saw this back in 2019 loved it and when they announced the reboot and passione doing it yeah had to watch it again sweet memories and lost feelings lol
Apr 1, 1:16 PM

Apr 2021
Not me. (character limit)
Apr 1, 1:21 PM

Jul 2015
I've watched the original and looks like the scene at the beginning with Holo and
was not in the original.

Apr 1, 1:24 PM
Apr 2023
sayu-simp said:
Original shows aired in 2008 and a second season in 2009 with 2 OVAs. wondering how many of you cultured viewers have watched the original shows.
I'm loving the same VAs for Kraft and Holo so far and Holo looking just as mischievous as she did in the originals.
do you think the 25 EPs will adapt to where the second season left off at in the original shows too?

wait there is 2 ova ? I thought it was only one from season 2
Apr 1, 1:29 PM

Jan 2017
I watched Season 1 around the time that I was new to anime. I wasn't really into it, so I didn't watch Season 2.
I'll definitely watch this remake though.
Apr 1, 1:35 PM
Sep 2022
I knew about the IP years ago, but never seen it. I think I can give it a try
Apr 1, 1:35 PM
Sep 2020
Read the Light Novels as well, that’s what true fans do.
Apr 1, 1:39 PM

Aug 2018
I've always had it on my radar but never watched it. I'm going in blind with the remake and I like it so far.
Apr 1, 1:41 PM
May 2023
Jackson_rajkumar said:
sayu-simp said:

wait there is 2 ova ? I thought it was only one from season 2

one ova isnt a proper episode but a short video on Holo doing random stuff like exercise lol
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to Yorda_trico
I only watched in Feb of this year but became pretty obsessed and started reading LN after.

Currently I am kind of 50/50 on remake vs OG, I think the remake is doing some things really well, but there are also some things I preferred from the OG. For example, at the end Holo already starts to tease Lawrence by pushing up against him and flirting, I prefer this stuff to be more developed so when it happens I get a big smile from it, I didn't really care about it in that moment because they just met.

But overall it is very hard for me to make a proper comparison because to do so I really need the English VAs to come back :(
@Yorda_trico True, episode 1 also ends with that scene in og, same overall conversation, but no pushing.
I think the overall vibe for the episode was with Holo more hot than cute, where as in the original she felt more cute than hot in episode 1

Not complaining though, good start. We'll see how the vibe goes from here.
Apr 1, 1:59 PM

Jul 2011
Question

Is this the remake of season 1? Can I start here and what are your thoughts so far?
Apr 1, 2:02 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to HansDevX
Question

Is this the remake of season 1? Can I start here and what are your thoughts so far?
@HansDevX Yes, you can start here.
This is a remake starting from volume 1 of the LN and this episode covered the same material from the LN as the original series' episode 1 did
Apr 1, 2:11 PM

Nov 2012
I've watched the original 2 seasons a few times, it's one of my all-time favorites. I've also read the entire novel series 3 times over and I honestly believe it's one of the best, if not THE best, series I've ever read (and I read quite a lot, not only light novels :P). I have insanely high expectations for this adaptation.

Apr 1, 2:14 PM
Dec 2013
Watched the first season of the 2008 version back in 2014-2015. Never bothered watching the second season.

It's also odd that the second season of the 2008 version has a higher rating than the first season, considering that I've seen several people being negative/critical towards the second season, but are fine with the first season. Plus, the second season skipped important stuff too. Sequel effect, I guess.
wildhoodApr 2, 3:28 AM
Apr 1, 2:17 PM
Apr 2014
I watched all of the original a few months before the remake got announced, after a video review i found on youtube.
Apr 1, 2:20 PM

Jan 2017
I saw original probably 10 years ago.
Apr 1, 2:23 PM

Jan 2021
sayu-simp said:

I rewatched it several times and the remake is beyond my expectation, well it is really good, moreover they adapted yalei the character from the LN. I tog 25 eps cant cover 2 seasons from the og, if they dont skip the story from the LN.
Apr 1, 2:25 PM

Jan 2021
SeaCrab said:

I am here to address the madness that Holo is his wife, dear readers. His name is sayu-simp and he dares say Holo is his wife, madness ik, do not listen to his statement holo is 100% my wife

Nah, Holo never goes to the sea, she doesn't even know you. this is a scam, Holo is totally my wife of all time.
Apr 1, 2:46 PM

Jan 2023
I watched the original quite a while ago though I remember the majority of it. The remake looks promising but it’s way too early to judge it heavily.
Apr 1, 3:19 PM

Mar 2013
I've watched it years ago and totally enjoyed it.
I hope the remake won't let me down.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Apr 1, 4:47 PM
May 2023
SeaCrab said:

Dear my cultured MAL users, this guy actually said some very racist words to me in the crunchyroll comments section, you can even find it yourself. Holo would NOT be with someone who uses race to be better than others. furthermore, this degenerate did not even know of such a person before I introduced him to her. as such, using conclusive evidence, it is obvious that I, sayu-simp, am the true partner of Holo and therefore she is MY wife.

I hope you will use common sense to see this.
goodnight all.
Apr 1, 4:48 PM
May 2023
Link___ said:
SeaCrab said:

Nah, Holo never goes to the sea, she doesn't even know you. this is a scam, Holo is totally my wife of all time.

crazy and all if you weren't a delinquent. Holo is MY wife.

I will be calling your local asylum shortly.
goodnight.
Apr 1, 5:35 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to watsym
@Yorda_trico True, episode 1 also ends with that scene in og, same overall conversation, but no pushing.
I think the overall vibe for the episode was with Holo more hot than cute, where as in the original she felt more cute than hot in episode 1

Not complaining though, good start. We'll see how the vibe goes from here.
@watsym Yeh hot vs cute is a good way to describe it, I was comparing more and I am really preferring OG the more I look, but I won't really know until I hear dubs, and of course more of the show.

Did you watch the OG with subs? If so, I have a question for you - do you think Holo sounds quite different in this remake vs the OG? I see the Japanese VA reprised but she seems different. I saw some people saying they were surprised to hear her sound different because sometimes she does Holo impressions in recent interviews and she sounds the same as in the OG anime which means she can still do the OG voice, so maybe the creators told her to give a slightly different performance for the remake.

What do you think?

If it was the case, this makes me worried that they will tell Brina to be different too :(
Apr 1, 6:01 PM
Mar 2018
I have a question. What's the difference between this and the 2008 version? I have watched 5 eps of the 2008 version put it on-hold and now I'm planning to watch it again but this new season came out. Am I going to miss something if I watch this new season instead or is there any variation from the 2008 version.
Apr 1, 6:03 PM
May 2023
Deruin said:
I have a question. What's the difference between this and the 2008 version? I have watched 5 eps of the 2008 version put it on-hold and now I'm planning to watch it again but this new season came out. Am I going to miss something if I watch this new season instead or is there any variation from the 2008 version.

we're not sure but the originals skipped a volume (which in later volumes it became clear that the skilled volume was compulsory)
so we assume that the remake will adapt that too.

also the season 1 and season 2 of the originals are made by 2 different studios so there is a bit of inconsistency which will be fixed in the remake.

it's a remake not an entire revamp.
Apr 1, 6:22 PM
Aug 2020
Gotta be honest. I am not bothered by the new style. Personally, I prefer the dark/mysterious/calm ambient that the old style has, but it's fine. Apparently the new style is more faithful to the LN/manga, so it's fine.

I just gotta say, I feel that it is a little cheap. I am so dissapointed to say this but the animation looked kinda cheap in the PVs. Not the drawing quality, the movement itself.

It was a little dissapointing to see, but it's fine. I hope that it isn't that bad. I still haven't watched the 1st episode, I may wait some time in order to watch it. I had a bit of hype for this and I'll still have hope for the story to have a good development in this reboot.

I watched S1 and S2 a long time ago, probably about 4 years ago. Maybe less than the older fans, but it has been a lot for me because I went through a lot of stages and situations in my life. Ultimately, I ended up forgetting a lot of stuff.

But that's what I think. I think the style is good, but I am not satisfied with the animation quality. It's somewhat dissappointing. Maybe it is better now that the anime is finally on air? I hope.
Apr 1, 6:23 PM
Mar 2018
Reply to holo-simp
Deruin said:

we're not sure but the originals skipped a volume (which in later volumes it became clear that the skilled volume was compulsory)
so we assume that the remake will adapt that too.

also the season 1 and season 2 of the originals are made by 2 different studios so there is a bit of inconsistency which will be fixed in the remake.

it's a remake not an entire revamp.
@sayu-simp I see. Thank you so I just need to wait and see
Apr 1, 7:02 PM

Feb 2009
My all times 3rd if not counting movies, in that case 4th. I was laready a seasoned consumer of anime, but is in up there with the real gems. This remake will be even better presumably, so could take its place soon
Apr 1, 7:10 PM

Sep 2016
If this ends up stopping on the same spot the old S2 arrived, I will be let down immensely.

Either do an outstanding reboot adding detail, or adapt past that.

I've already seen the original series. No need to wait 24 weeks to do it again, I'll just rewatch the OG then...
bruh
Apr 1, 7:23 PM
Dec 2023
I only watched it last year. currently reading, well listening really, to the books on audible. loving it
Apr 1, 7:33 PM
Feb 2021
I don't watch the original but , i watch the first episode and i like it
Apr 1, 7:37 PM

Jun 2013
Seen this so many times, last rewatch was before covid though, new designs are fine and the first episode did an excellent job in my opinion.

If they adapt everything this time then this first 25 episode may stop at the end of vol 4 which was skipped in the og series - (og was vol 1,2,3 & 5) and this is if they adapt it 2 volumes per cour. Based on the opening and the ending visuals of the reboot, only characters from vol 1 and 2 are shown, so the first cour might only be the first 2 volumes like the og!

Keeping the above in mind if the entire series (the original 17 vol of the LN including the colours/side stories) is adapted then the second season of the reboot will start where the second half of the second season of og series began, when the duo arrived in Lenos or ep 7. This is assuming of course the studio does not rush through the first 5 volumes to fill the 25 ep.

Apr 1, 7:47 PM

Jul 2017
I watched all of the original spice and wolf, it's been a long time since then, so I forgot most of the plot, but I can clearly remember Holo as a character, I liked her personality and design. I'm definitely going to be watching this remake, it will be like a fresh experience since I've forgotten most of what happened in s1 and s2.
So far this first episode was enjoyable, I don't mind the new character designs and I'm happy that they kept the same voice actors.
The only thing that worries me is that this will most likely only adapt what was already adapted (or even less), if we don't get a second season adapting new content, I will be really disappointed
Nel999Apr 1, 7:51 PM
Apr 1, 8:04 PM
Apr 2014
I have watched the original a few times. As far as first episodes go this was very well done. I still have a few gripes, namely being the way Passione draws hair to look like blobs of jelly instead of actual hair. I also still vastly prefer the first opening. However I also will say that this does feel like there was genuine passion and effort put into it, and I didn't exactly go into this episode with a completely clear mindset as much as I tried to make myself. It is always scary getting a remake/sequel to a work you feel is really good, but as long as they can adapt the story to the end with this level of work I will be satisfied overall having gotten to at least see past where the original left off.
Apr 1, 8:42 PM
Jun 2023
I watched the original anime a few times, and loved it. New anime? So far so good. Looks better than I expected after trailers. I felt a bit uncomfortable with Yarei instead of Chloe, but that confirms that the remake will be based more on the novel, which is positive news. I'm looking forward to the next episodes and how they plan to animate the entire story. It will be a long series (I hope so!) if they actually want to accurately show the whole story.
Apr 1, 8:52 PM
Sep 2021
Honestly, I was pretty late to the party. I watched the OG back in October of last year and fell in love with the intricate back and forths between Holo and Lawrance, as well as how the show was able to expertly juggle explaining the different business practices the merchants would use and how that would relate to the ongoing drama. The biggest thing holding the series back was that it never had a proper ending, and I am grateful that I didn't have to wait long at all to see this project come to fruition. Here's to hoping the remainder of the reboot keeps up the same quality as episode 1.
Apr 1, 9:04 PM
Jun 2012
I didn't get around to watching the originals until around August 2021.
Instantly fell in love and binged.

Reboot is looking nice so far. Opening is very nice and the ending animation had an almost nostalgic feel with a new song.

In terms of character design, as I have yet had the chance to read the novel, Yarei was a surprise!
I wonder if Holo has been drawn to look more like the novel, and allows for a slightly younger and mischievous lady so that she can "grow" and mature over the series*. Really glad the og two's voice actors came back. I loved the way Holo spoke and am glad she has reprised her role.
[*If they get to adapt more than what was previously animated, which I heard the plan was to animate start to finish like how Fruits Basket got treated to a reboot in 2019-2021.]

It's been long enough since watching the original that I'm sure I'll enjoy this reboot as long as no major catastrophes happen (touch wood).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

57 by StallionXD »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

54 by matias067 »»
Yesterday, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

70 by jeffersondkid »»
Yesterday, 12:56 AM

» Binge

Astrid_Bear - May 27

19 by APolygons2 »»
May 28, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

119 by MattJpX »»
May 28, 10:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.