Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Devil Is a Part-Timer! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2022 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
It's back! Been nearly 9 years but seeing this glorious anime again is such a wonderful sight. The OP theme song is alright I guess, sounds similar to the first season's.

So good to see Sadao, Emi, Chiho, Suzuno etc back again. I think the first episode was a refreshing way to reintroduce everyone to the show again since it s been awhile since the first season aired. True to its name, we also get to see the workplace environment with Sadao and Chiho.

The debut of
is so cute to see!

Jul 2017
9 YEARS...9 FREAKING LONG YEARS.

FORGET Classroom of the Elite coming back after 5 years, the long-overdue sequel trump is Hataraku Maou-sama, RETURNING AFTER 9+ YEARS since Spring 2013! It still feels like a dream to finally get a sequel after almost a decade long.

Minami Kuribayashi is back for a 2nd OP, though Season 1's OP is much more memorable. Marina Horiuchi's ED is just fine.

I have no words to say, but to feel DAMN happy to see Sadao Maou a.k.a Satan, Emi Yusa a.k.a Emilia, Chiho and the rest of the Ente Isla gang yet again with a short recap from the beginning of Season 1...and the story continues on from Volume 3 of the LN (Vol 7, Chap 27 of the manga) onwards, though it doesn't feel like it's in a hurry to continue the story...which for a premiere episode after THIS long, is a much-needed refresher.

Maou' MgRonalds workspace is back (even the hilarious Team Rocket's James rip-off Sentucky Fried Chicken (SFC) manager Mitsuki a.k.a Sariel that's still courting manager Mayumi), though Chiho definitely feels like she's aged the most out of everyone. Urushihara a.k.a. Lucifer is still the NEET at home and being supervised by the stringent Ashiya a.k.a Alciel. The only one consistent is the kimono-wearing Suzuno a.k.a Crestia Bell, while the small apartment heaps trouble from a mere cockroach (reflected in its scientific and Latin names).

But of course, the story gets going again with this apple that got summoned to the world from Ente Isla's gate, and here there is Maou criticizing Emi for her flat-chested body, wearing a Uniqlo sports bra while the former wears an old shirt of the same brand lols. Chiho is definitely on cloud nine after getting a hug.

The main character of the sequel, birthed out of an apple: Alas=Ramus, the appointed daughter of both Maou and Emi, and like the LN/manga, she will be the Anya Forger of the season.

IT FEELS DAMN LONG ENOUGH! And I'm gonna enjoy THE HECK out of this long-awaited sequel!

Please don't disappoint us, Studio 3Hz and the staff team...or maybe I spoke too soon.

The character design feels very different, it's a lot worse than White Fox's "young chaps" treatment (that I pretty much preferred Atsushi Ikariya's designs) all those years ago. To be fair, this is Yudai Iino's first work as a character designer, but this already looks studio-grade CGDCT level that's a Studio 3Hz mainstay trope.

Though how bad it will look overall, everyone will be watching for spite.
KANLen09Jul 14, 2022 10:27 AM

May 2020
With the premiere of this first episode one of the longest running memes in the anime medium finally came to rest as after all Devil is a part timer finally is back after a whole 9 years. Being one of those very first series of mine, of course it means too much. Though it being back courtesy of a third rate studio, definitely problems are here, more specifically with artstyle. Not a fan in all honesty.

Starting with recapping things a bit.. great as it was needed. Maou is back, and so is the famed MgRonalds, and holy hell have a look at that blue haired womanizer lol. Emi hasn't lost her flair a bit, really one of those red-haired tsunderes who can’t help but love and well Chiho’s as usual… as usual. Just the first episode and we already onto a babysitting course, I wonder why that kid calling both of them her parents( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). Entertaining start.
Jul 14, 2022 8:05 AM

Aug 2013
Entirely different character design and animation.

It is really off-putting and not assiociating with the same vibe the previous season had.
Jul 14, 2022 8:05 AM

Nov 2010
The character design has changed and it's worse than that of the 1st season. Parts of the faces get round and faces look flat.
Jul 14, 2022 8:09 AM
Aug 2021
They start off by a introducing us again to the characters. Also a mysterious figure has crawled into the demon lord's palace. Who could that be. My first guess was the child cuz of the same hair. Just a guess.
We onto the babysitting ride.
Dulahaan v2 is here. Missing dulahhan.
Tbh, maou looked like the protag from eromanga sensei(just sayin)

Anya forger : finally a worthy opponent, our battle will be legendary.
Jul 14, 2022 8:18 AM

Apr 2018
Who would have thought that we'd see a second season of this? It took almost a decade for the return but it's finally here and a lot of people have been waiting for this.
The opening is done by the same artist as the previous one which is incredibly good. It's great to see Sadao again who was my favorite character in the serie espically that one scene where he looked like the REAL devil. Well, we got an introduction of the characters. It's needed after 9 long years. Well, this long awaitening also caused a change in studios which affected the character design and so on. It's alright, not too bad, not too good.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 14, 2022 8:20 AM

Feb 2020
papa wa satan :D aww she's so adorbs!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2022 8:22 AM
May 2017
Limi said:

It is really off-putting and not assiociating with the same vibe the previous season had.

i thought is gonna be flat as the animation of DB Super Broly or SnK Final Season but nah but i hope its gonna be fixed in the next few weeks or in the BD

regardless of the animation its finally back after 9 LONG YEARS!

dxtremecaliberJul 14, 2022 8:25 AM
Jul 14, 2022 8:22 AM

Jan 2021
Really nice episode, everything looks good so far and it was a bit of a slow reintroduction into the world of Maou, Emilia and rest of the gang, OP was okay though but it was great as a whole honestly. Papa Satan is an adorable nickname.

Vibes are a bit different though for some reason.

LoreMasterDanJul 14, 2022 8:26 AM
Jul 14, 2022 8:25 AM
Jan 2021
after 9 long years it finally back!! the NGNL fans are still on that copium though, keep hoping.

i understand that there was a studio change but its really bad, the animation/art style is kinda off putting and i dont like how they all look younger. good first episode though, looks like "Satan" is going to be busy for a while.
Jul 14, 2022 8:26 AM

Jan 2020
I don't hardly remember anything about this series, other than that I liked the first season apparently. I tried skimming through some episode synopses of the first season, but I can't say anything in particular stood out.

That being said, the initial recap of the premise was probably enough. I didn't feel like I was missing out on too much as we went through this episode. At most I was probably least sure about what Sariel's deal was.

Overall I wouldn't say it was a strong start, but it was enjoyable. The cockroach gag seemed a bit over-the-top, but with the appearance of the golden apple it got a bit more amusing. I'm guessing this love child is from the future?

Also: dat low-key Animal Crossing reference. ¬‿¬

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 14, 2022 8:28 AM

Jan 2018
Late to the party but better late than never. It might take a while for me to get used to the new character design but so far so good.

New character got introduced claiming as Maou's "father" and Yusa's "mother." Quite hilarious to see Ashiya's reaction.
Jul 14, 2022 8:29 AM
Jan 2020
It looks too bright, 3hz peaked in their early days but this doesn't look bad at all. Crazy it's getting a sequel after a decade.
Jul 14, 2022 8:30 AM

Oct 2017
It took em 9 years but this anime is finally back.

Maou and gang getting afraid of coakroach and Emi getting mad for telling her that she wears sports bra was hilarious. A loli popped up and she calls herself Maou and Emi's daughter? What? This is gonna be real amusing.

This was one of my very first animes and one of the animes that got me hooked into the franchise. So glad to have this back.
Jul 14, 2022 8:31 AM

Sep 2012
I'm glad it's back, the comedy is still there but unfortunately the vibe is a total let down due to the let's just be frank...horrible animation.
Oh god who are you people?
Jul 14, 2022 8:36 AM
Mar 2022
Why is alsheil face expression so drastic ?
Jul 14, 2022 8:37 AM

Jul 2017
It feels really surreal to see the first anime I've ever watched (never even got to watch Pokemon, DBZ and other anime as a child) be back after 9 whole years, and 5 and a half years after seeing this show and the medium for the first time back at the very beginning of 2017. Regardless of how the quality of the season turns out to be, it's just nice seeing this get a sequel after so long. There's no chance my 2nd anime ever will get a sequel anime in Blood Lad, so this is enough for me I guess.

The episode itself was pretty fine. For once, the recap at the start was actually fitting for this series given how long the series took to return and the whole episode writing-wise felt consistent with the original season and didn't feel like it missed a beat. Even the soundtracks used in the episode were nostalgic to say the least with me being reminiscent of the original. And of course, seeing the whole cast together again was dope and seeing the banter as a whole with everyone (although I still dislike Chiho a lot, and neither am I a big Emi fan either), with a new addition there at the end of this episode for the cliffhanger in Alas. The household only looks to be even more chaotic with her showing up lol. This episode wasn't really a strong, hilarious or memorable premiere but it did its job with getting the series back into the swing of things quickly after the short recap.

What was a letdown for me is how it looks. The new character designs seem to be closer to the illustrations from the novels, but they look way less charismatic and fun than the first season with many characters looking lifeless, hollow and really bland - Chiho and Sadao in particular. The whole episode felt kind of cheap with how it was animated, although it wasn't anywhere near as bad as something like Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer's premiere. It's not the worst looking thing ever but definitely feels so inferior to look at compared to the first season, which looked quite solid and fit the energy of the series well.

Regardless, still glad to have it back, whether this season delivers strongly or flops. This anime would still have a special place in my heart for being the one that got me into all of this (although Assassination Classroom was really the one that got me addicted to the medium and is still one of my overall favorites to this day).
Jul 14, 2022 8:41 AM
Jan 2019
The character designs isn't fit to this anime I prefer the old designed but it's great episode 6 yrs of waiting.
Jul 14, 2022 8:48 AM

Oct 2018
Horrible.

Tbf I really hate the fact they did the studio change. They made the whole atmosphere more like CGDCT shit than the previous made by White Fox. This remembers me when Production IG changed Haikyuu to the top from cool intense guys baby faced boys. Yeah it's a sequel after a long years but still...

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jul 14, 2022 8:51 AM
Jan 2020
Natsuki_SanJuan said:
Horrible.

Tbf I really hate the fact they did the studio change. They made the whole atmosphere more like CGDCT shit than the previous made by White Fox. This remembers me when Production IG changed Haikyuu to the top from cool intense guys baby faced boys. Yeah it's a sequel after a long years but still...
White Fox would honestly do worse, most of their staff are working at Isekai Ojisan now
Jul 14, 2022 8:52 AM
Jan 2021
LoreMasterDan said:
Really nice episode, everything looks good so far and it was a bit of a slow reintroduction into the world of Maou, Emilia and rest of the gang, OP was okay though but it was great as a whole honestly. Papa Satan is an adorable nickname.

Vibes are a bit different though for some reason.

Yeah, I got the same feeling. The vibe I get watching this isn't the same as S1, probably is because of the change in character designs.
Jul 14, 2022 8:53 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
wowie we got a cute baby

smoochie smoochie[/center]
Jul 14, 2022 8:59 AM

Sep 2021
After 9 years we hace the series back love to see It. This was one of my first animes back when I started and this having finally a second season makes me happy
Jul 14, 2022 9:00 AM

Jul 2021
MCDONALD ISEKAII IS BACKKKKKKK!! One of my most anticipated seasonal from Summer and despite the new visuals that I'll definitely need to grow on throughout this journey, I still get the laughs and the mythology never fails to immerse me with this whole setup. THE FAMILIAR FACES YES. Visual-wise is quite weak in the OP but doesn't really matter to me personally when it comes to rating. I've noticed some range of voice acting from the 2013 and this one or it's rather the more dialogues they have in this episode like Ashiya for instance is losing his ego even more, since seems like he's also not going to be a household guy any longer, hopefully, he could find a more stable job for the sake of his own and FINALLY, URUSHARA IS STANDING UP FOR ONCE, BROS BEEN ON THE COMPUTER FOR YEARS 😭😭💀💀Ashiya is just like my parents rn teaching me how to do laundry through some mechanics. Also lost it when they censored the cockroach, like it's not even graphic but it did get me in a comedic sense. Also, the sunset view was beautiful and Maou was blunt about Emi's fashion appearance lol and that hatching loli out of the ordinary is already bringing some misunderstanding (or perhaps bait said the LN readers). Also wondering why the ED is centering around Chiho.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 14, 2022 9:04 AM
Sep 2015
I can't believe I live long enough to see Maou season 2, but I'm afraid if it takes the same or longer to get to season 3 I might not survive until then. That make me think McD should be a main sponsor for Maou. It used to sponsor a lot of anime so why it doesn't sponsor an anime that make parody of it?

Anyway, new studio doesn't draw nipples on Maou anymore, my only complain, a significant one though.
Jul 14, 2022 9:04 AM
Oct 2020
With this and other anime I thought would never get another season coming back I have hope again of some other anime having another season someday. I'm so happy this is back. I love how this toddler just came to this world and is already causing chaos lol
Jul 14, 2022 9:09 AM
Jun 2022
Not bad but it doesn’t compare to Kiss x Sis
Jul 14, 2022 9:11 AM

Jun 2019
I’ll keep it short: it was so funny 😆
Jul 14, 2022 9:13 AM
Oct 2016
After nearly a decade we're here again with the antics of Maou, Ashiya, Lucifer, Emi, Suzuno and Chiho. Quite the funny bunch to be thrown back into after all this time. Aside from the quick recap, which did have new info, we kinda just picked up like it hasn't been forever since season one. The art style may habe changed but the characters certainly haven't. Which is a good thing because they're what made season one so fun. A good group of characters that hook your eyes to the screen. They had me laughing throughout the episode like that weird proposal from that dude in the restaurant, and Ashiya trying to teach Lucifer how to do chores properly so he's not as much a bum. Even better was them all freaking out over the cockroach jumping around. Those creepy crawlers do certainly provide strong jump scares when they jump onto you. Leaving us with sort of a cliffhanger to start the season with this baby girl Ramus. Saying Emi and Maou are her mama and papa that's crazy
Jul 14, 2022 9:14 AM
Nov 2021
I can’t watch it bc Crunchyroll is greedy
Jul 14, 2022 9:17 AM
Jan 2021
Kind of disappointing, had a weird over the top humor where characters just talk like they’re in a play or just flat out scream. Chi and Alciel especially seem way different from S1 but hopefully the new character will be funny
Jul 14, 2022 9:21 AM
Sep 2021
I have been anticipating this series for over 9 years and it’s finally a reality! Since the last season was way back, I have read the manga and watched S1 for the second time just before S2 began airing to refresh more of my memory!

For the 1st episode, the animation is really different from S1 and it is a rather letdown to me otherwise everything else is great!

Animation: 5/10 (Prefers White Fox to continue with the animation for S2 and I would’ve given a 8/10 if the animation is similar to S1 but it’s a bit of a downgrade with the new studio)
Story: 8/10 (Closely adapts to the manga, the comedy is the strongest factor for making this episode great)
Voice Acting: 9/10 (Same VA cast from S1 which is great as always, Ashiya’s voice seems to be a little off from S1 though)

Overall: 22/30 or 7.33/10 (Despite the drop in animation quality, I will continue to watch Season 2 as it’s one of my favourite anime series among all)
DabiXPLFJul 14, 2022 6:42 PM
Jul 14, 2022 9:27 AM
Mar 2022
8-9 please, i hope it
Jul 14, 2022 9:33 AM

Mar 2012
Ashiya is as entertaining as ever! I wonder what the true identity of the little girl is. I recently finished re-watching S1 so the character designs look a bit weird for S2, I preferred the ones from S1.
Jul 14, 2022 9:35 AM
Nov 2019
Wow it's finally back!! But really wished the studio is still whitefox but im grateful for s2 nonetheless

The kid reminds me of celine from to love ru
Jul 14, 2022 9:39 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Never expected to see this series return after 9 whole years so this was a pleasant surprise. Pretty good opening with some nice visuals. Still living in a small apartment i see lol. Its nice to see Maou get a new bike after his old one suffered such a tragic fate. Suzuno still has no concept of money huh. After his defeat Sariel sure had quite the transformation. The attack of the cockroach sure was scary. Its nice to finally be able to see Alas Ramus animated. Chiho's reaction to Maou being a father was hillarious. Even more so when Emi got involved. Overall a fun ep that did well to reintroduce us to Maou and his unlikely friends and comrades within their world. With Alas Ramus now joining them looks like things would be even more hectic for them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2022 9:40 AM

Dec 2010
The animation and character designs are a clear downgrade compared to the first season, but I'm still super glad we finally got a sequel for Hataraku Maou-sama. It's been long overdue!
Jul 14, 2022 9:50 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Nice start definitely with a little recap and a few about their daily lives as usual I'm happy I rewatched it last year so it doesn't feel so long until it started again, but still nice to see the characters again especially Sadao and Emilia, now the last situation was hilarious with that little girl coming from the apple and saying that her father is Sadao and that her mother is Emilia xD I wonder what's the reason why she appeared and says that they were her parents.
Jul 14, 2022 9:52 AM

Sep 2019
It is nice to have the show back after 9 years, but damn, I still prefer the old art style and animation.
Jul 14, 2022 9:53 AM

Jun 2014
The animation is definitely noticeably different but I'm glad that this anime is back after so long! Gonna be a fun ride seeing all these characters again. Now can we please get NGNL and/or Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun S2 please.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 14, 2022 9:56 AM

Dec 2020
Finally its back after such a long time.
The OP and ED are fine i guess however the character design changed.

A golden apple spawned out of the gate and then its a little girl and maou and eri are mother and father xD.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jul 14, 2022 9:57 AM
Mar 2016
I’m happy to see this series back…
But… the light novel had an ending that most didn’t and won’t like (I thought it was awful tbh)… I really hope they change it? But I see no hope in that.. :(
Jul 14, 2022 10:01 AM

Jun 2021
When this OST played at the beginning, I was almost reduced to tears. I was in the final year of high school when I first watched S1 in 2013 and 9 years later I'm a working adult and finally seeing S2 on screen. I can't describe the excitement I'm feeling right now TT.

I liked how the show basically re-introduced us to the characters with their hilarious antics (Ashiya never fails to crack me up XD), before slowly diving into the plot and getting Spy x Family'd at the end, or should I say Devil x Family lol.

I also liked that even though the show had a change in artstyle (and now its close to the LN artstyle), the animation still looks pretty good and the facial expressions are as wild as S1.
Jul 14, 2022 10:10 AM
Oct 2019
ANYA GETTING SOME COMPETITION HERE
Jul 14, 2022 10:11 AM

Jun 2013
Holy shit it's back after all these years
Jul 14, 2022 10:12 AM

Mar 2020
After 9 long years (only around 2 for me since I've watched season 1), the McDonald's isekai is back! It's as funny as I remember, and this episode served as a nice, slow intro back into the world. We get a new character Alas=Ramus, and she'll probably be a joy to watch.

The character designs are definitely something I have to get used to, since everyone looks more round and childish this time around. Otherwise, the animation looked alright.
Jul 14, 2022 10:14 AM
Jul 2020
Limi said:

Big fax yea yea yea satan is still a part timer after nine years what a loser
Jul 14, 2022 10:14 AM

Dec 2018
it’s still funny like how it was almost a decade ago, but the overall vibe changed though due to the new art style. the old one definitely looked far way better.
*burps*  [font="\"Proxima Nova Regular\", \"Helvetica Neue\", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][/font]
Jul 14, 2022 10:22 AM
Jun 2020
dont know but season 1 first ep was way better the beginning was way better and wtf is with alsiel he is so annoying its like he became 100 times more annoying
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2022

81 by RGreatDanton »»
May 3, 7:58 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2022

126 by RGreatDanton »»
May 3, 4:19 AM

» Just not as funny as season 1?

AriBWeeb - Aug 11, 2022

24 by wildhood »»
Mar 24, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2022

75 by Zedz_c »»
Feb 21, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Hataraku Maou-sama!! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

140 by ST63LTH »»
Feb 9, 2:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.