Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Uncle from Another World
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 25, 2022 5:35 AM

Jul 2017
Preview screening on Kadokawa's YouTube channel.

Episode is released on Netflix, but the schedule is wonky.
If you live in Asia, you can watch this on the same day that it premieres in Japan.
But otherwise you're gonna be given the Komi-san treatment of waiting 2 weeks for the actual episode to debut.

The Uncle from Another World, and his son Takafumi enraged in a family drama that saw him die and reincarnated to another world...and his mind is stuck in the past, most especially with the 90s console wars between Sega and Nintendo, 17 years back into the past that the world now is different.

A crude partnership between Takafumi and his uncle, and one that's rife of easter eggs from the Golden Axe BGM to even the Sega Saturn startup sound, his uncle REALLY lived life in another world heavily, but as someone looking like an orc that people didn't want to approach him. But the start of Takafumi's uncle's modern life, it's the epitome of starting life anew, away from the life that once hindered his progress. To think that his first love was Sonic and Tails of Sonic 2, even romance is all from the games' perspective. Though one of them with this elf girl that he gave his ring to like a proposal, the understanding in another world is a vast difference that only applies to Takafumi's uncle.

This is easily one of Jun Fukuyama and Takehito Koyasu's recently better antics, and the no-name studio Atelier PontDarc's decent effort of a stylistic art design that's the studio's first mainstream work outside of Ganbare! Douki-chan.

Too bad this is locked to Netflix Jail...BUT THIS IS FUNNY AS HELL! This will be a comedic ride, that's for sure.
KANLen09Jul 6, 2022 8:30 AM
Jun 25, 2022 6:15 AM
Jan 2022
https://youtu.be/NFS7ZvqOO_A
The anime opening is already out.
Jun 26, 2022 10:48 AM

Oct 2009
The animation was very good, i was afraid considering the other works of the studio but they delivered a very good product.

Now...
Where is the game "Guardian Heroes"!? Will SEGA hide the SEGA SATURN just to sell MEGA DRIVE MINI?
Jun 28, 2022 2:04 AM
Feb 2021
This is something to look forward to. I dropped the manga at chapter 13 after hearing about the anime announcement.
Jun 28, 2022 4:35 AM
Jun 2014
Quivi said:
The animation was very good, i was afraid considering the other works of the studio but they delivered a very good product.

Now...
Where is the game "Guardian Heroes"!? Will SEGA hide the SEGA SATURN just to sell MEGA DRIVE MINI?

The studio consists of Ex-White Fox staff (many of Re:Zero s2 main staff), that explains why it is good. For their other works, somewhere I heard they're outsourcing it to another studio.
ServinVyrathJun 28, 2022 4:47 AM
Jun 30, 2022 3:50 AM

Nov 2019
I didn't understand the SEGA game related clips since I'm not that old, still I enjoyed the first episode. It's like a whole new type of Isekai. Lets see the coming episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2022 11:53 AM

Apr 2022
They had a few hiccups like the wrong sonic music in the flashback but other than that EP1 was a great adaptation and it seems like the director did his homework.
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.

Jul 1, 2022 9:42 AM
Apr 2022
I'm excited for this anime
Jul 1, 2022 12:24 PM

Mar 2021
Is the anime already out? On my Netflix account it says it airing on July 20th.
Jul 3, 2022 4:33 PM

Mar 2016
It's already out. Looks like comedy for anime nerds.
Jul 6, 2022 8:35 AM
Aug 2020
The OP Slaps so hard. Very Interesting Plot. Well balanced depressing/comedy moments and the episode feela like 5 mins long. I'd expect more great things to come.
Jul 6, 2022 8:35 AM

Nov 2011
One of the more creative OP theme songs of this season if you ask me.

I think the main selling point so far is the character chemistry between Ojisan and Elf. Didn't really care about the other characters but was a fun experience to see this animated. I've read the manga before and this retains the humorous gags as I remember.

Hope they can keep the animation quality in tact for rest of the season.
Jul 6, 2022 8:42 AM

Mar 2022
Very funny first episode.
Sadly, isekais often begin strong and finish meh...
Jul 6, 2022 8:49 AM

Feb 2019
Seeing as this has characters listed as supporting, I wonder if the characters from the fantasy world will be isekai'd to this one, with Mabel and Elf hunting for him (sucker for Aoi Yuuki) or if they'll only appear in the uncle's flashback story telling.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Jul 6, 2022 8:51 AM

Mar 2021
The first scene of the first episode..... Truck...... Naofumi-Kun makes his appearance.

TF was wrong with that nurse? Was she ridiculing such an awesome Ojisan?

All in all, the quality of the animation was magnificent, the jokes were nicely timed. The OP was awesome and OMG..... The tsunderelf does know how to play her role perfectly.

Can't wait for the next episode....
Jul 6, 2022 8:56 AM

Feb 2020
I love that low res polygon aesthetic in the opening! Looks alright so far. Will definitely (hopefully) enjoy this
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2022 9:04 AM

Apr 2014
This was very funny.
The tsundere-elf got everything the tsundere character should have. And she has done it perfectly!
何それ?意味分かんない
Jul 6, 2022 9:04 AM

Mar 2020
I love how they aren't afraid to use more retro elements, especially in that OP. The comedy was on point, and if it keeps up the quality, we could be in for a heck of a ride with Ojisan.
Jul 6, 2022 9:19 AM

Jun 2021
This uncle is exactly how I would imagine someone who’s come back from being isekai’d would he like haha. I love that the first thing he asked about was SEGA. Honestly can’t even remember the last time I played a SEGA game. But hey, at least he got that YouTube money (loved that knife bit at the end). Downside? YouTube comments lol. Good thing he has that erase memory spell.

Anyways, If I got isekai’d I would have played solo too. My guy was op but basically got treated like shit by damn near everyone.

Also, I literally had a phone like the one he was talking about that flips to the side when I was like 13/14. It was pretty sweet haha. And hey! He can fly so no shipping costs. With the uncle around, it’s like same day delivery! Hell it’s faster than ordering a pizza lol.

His experience with girls is hilarious. His ugly mug literally scares children and causes villagers to try and kill him haha. Plus, the poor dense bastard didn’t even know about tsundere girls so he totally was clueless about the elf girl’s feelings for him. Loved that he “proposes”, then took the ring back and sold it for cash to repay his debt lol.

This one is definitely going to be a weekly if I can manage the Netflix release schedule. Hilarious episode overall.
Jul 6, 2022 9:31 AM
Jan 2020
Certified the best show of the Season.
Jul 6, 2022 9:49 AM

Dec 2012
I didn't expect much going in, but it was pretty funny. Has some of that One Punch vibe to me, where this guy has all these incredible powers but only focus on the mundane stuff. which creates these hilarious situations.
Jul 6, 2022 9:54 AM

May 2021
Great episode! His uncle awoke from a coma of 17 years and was isekai'd to Granbahamal so speaks that language first xD.
He is going to prove to his nephew he lived in another world and his wind spell works! But he has to use japanese incantations...
Sega isn't winning the console industry anymore!!!
The nephew now earned money through using his uncle's powers and uploading videos on youtube!
OP is good!
He played solo in the other world for 17 years...
He was hunted as an orc variant for being ugly in the other world...
The ģirl the uncle thought was mean was actually tsundere?!!
He got some hate comments on the internet lol.
'A man who chooses a sega console can not live an ordinary life'.
He can show his memories from the other world by projecting them!
The shipping fee costs more than the phone!
He can fly!
Free shipping for life!
He has objects from the other world.

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Jul 6, 2022 9:55 AM

Jan 2020
Fucking SEGA, lmao. Oh, that is sad to think about though. This show is funny out of the gate. I'm glad Ojisan actually has powers and was in another world. I don't know if I'd like it as much if it was a "does he doesn't he" sort of situation where it could just be delusions of a coma patient.

Takafumi's is the true MVP of this series. I love his reactions to Ojisan's memories.

While Ojisan isn't exactly pleasant to look at, I'm somewhat surprised that people in another world would be saved by him and still lash out and distrust him. He seems to have had it rough, but, at the same time, he's clearly very powerful. So it's still somewhat of a mystery as to why things were so hard. With so much power you'd think he'd at least be able to mitigate some of those situations. Not sure if they'll address it any further than "he was just ugly though."

This was a very funny first episode. Hopefully they'll be able to maintain this momentum and keep it fresh. But, I'm definitely looking forward to where this is going.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 6, 2022 10:01 AM

Jul 2014
One of the anime shows this season that I really waited for since it was announced and all I can say is it did not disappoint. Humor at its simplest still works.

Excited to see more of the story unfold.
Jul 6, 2022 10:06 AM
Apr 2021
That truck at the beginning made me laugh, no one is safe from those isekai trucks lol. Loved what I saw in eps1, looking forward to this show.
Jul 6, 2022 10:08 AM

Dec 2012
LoveScope said:
They had a few hiccups like the wrong sonic music in the flashback but other than that EP1 was a great adaptation and it seems like the director did his homework.

Sounds like the Sonic 2 title theme to me. What about it is wrong?
Jul 6, 2022 10:11 AM
Sep 2015
Is this the first "reverse isekai" anime? But definitely the first one I watch.
I love Sonic and Tails (and Knuckles) too!

Jan 2021
It's hella funny as Konosuba xD

Jun 2014
Lmao this uncle sure is something after coming back from a 17 year isekai coma. Looks like he had quite the eventful life in the other world lol.

This was pretty funny and left a good first impression, if it stays consistent it can be one of the most solid shows this season.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 2019
I will never understand the point of Netflix holding shows hostage for two weeks or for an entire season.

Why not ride the japan hype and do a global release? They had the rights to this show for a while and could’ve had subs done. For a company of their size I’m not buying the “it’s easier to sub for Asia than globally” excuse.

As for the show itself, really funny. Definitely has the potential to be this season’s paripi koumei. Art and animation are great, I’d imagine that’s because of the fact some re zero white fox people moved to this studio and are helping out.
Marinate1016Jul 6, 2022 10:30 AM
Jul 6, 2022 10:12 AM

Apr 2022
Suitedup said:
LoveScope said:

The stage he was playing had the wrong OST. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYB7iLZNWE.

Jul 6, 2022 10:17 AM
May 2021
this was hilarious 😂😂😂. Really unique and felt bad for that tsundere lol
Jul 6, 2022 10:22 AM

Apr 2018
Been waiting for this one and it's only on Netflix for now. Ojisan's back from another world and basically tried to tell them what happend xD. The chemistry between him and the elf is also something that is worth to watch. The opening is amazing.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 6, 2022 10:24 AM

Jan 2017
oml seems like they got permission to use anything Sega-related from the Sega Saturn startup sound to the main title screen of Sonic 2

All the jokes hit for me in this first episode but I really LOL'd at ojisan reducing online shipping costs by just flying
Jul 6, 2022 10:35 AM
Oct 2021
masterwe said:
Is the anime already out? On my Netflix account it says it airing on July 20th.

Unfortunately, Netflix delays the anime release for some countries.
Jul 6, 2022 10:40 AM

Dec 2012
LoveScope said:
Suitedup said:

The stage he was playing had the wrong OST. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYB7iLZNWE.

Oh right, I didn't even catch that last bit. That was Emerald Hill Zone for 2 player
Jul 6, 2022 10:43 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty interesting stuff from this first episode and anime in general. Expecting goods things from it so I hope it can deliver. At least it seems that it will be a fun and chill anime to watch.
Jul 6, 2022 10:43 AM

Sep 2020
Imagine paying for something through some site like Amazon and then flying to where the amazon facility is just to escape shipping costs. That is just so funny. This is definitely my type of comedy. Simple and memeable. I'm excited to see where this one goes.

"𝒮𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒𝓈, 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓌𝒶𝓇𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒸𝓁𝑜𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝑜𝓇 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓎𝑜𝓊."- 𝑅𝑒𝒾 𝒦𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓎𝒶𝓂𝒶

Jul 6, 2022 10:53 AM

Apr 2020
The funniest moment for me was when Ojisan saved the older sister and her two younger siblings. I love how halfway into the scene the sound from the other world became mute while we saw the animation of the older sister "offering herself as payment" to Uncle. Only for uncle to be super unfairly fooled and almost killed by two 'goblins'.
ow + nw = 90-2000s

Jul 6, 2022 10:54 AM

Jan 2021
No jokes, this has been really funny :p

Ojisan couldn't take a hint from the tsudere :(

How the family Ojisan saved mistook him for another monster was the best part of this episode 😂

The two of them make a great couple. I hope this comedy doesn't become repetitive

Jul 6, 2022 10:58 AM

May 2021
Omfg, this is so hilarious lol. I was expecting the uncle to narrate his entire adventure and maybe the anime would have become a standard isekai but nope lol. Just as advertised, its set AFTER the isekai adventure lol.

Takafumi's reactions to his uncle's powers and the idea that shipping costs can be reduced were on point and done well lol. I feel really bad for that tsundere who saved ojisan but got dumped later down the road; guess now we know how previous gen gamers reacted to tsunderes lol.

The art and animation was also really good, especially the art lol.
5/5 lol.

Jul 6, 2022 11:01 AM
Feb 2018
This was SO GOOOD OMG!!! I love the presentations with the kind of rough and crude artstyle (its the good well animated kind of rough and crude art, so good!), ooosfdjkhfasdk soo good!!! Looking forward to more, man this season is great!
The sound track is also on point! Wooohooo I love anime!
Jul 6, 2022 11:08 AM

Apr 2022
Suitedup said:
LoveScope said:

Oh right, I didn't even catch that last bit. That was Emerald Hill Zone for 2 player

The opening also had a few hickups. Like Golden Axe having a different lightbar and the dancing game not having the final come at me pose. But like I said, solid so far. Most likely the best thing airing this season.

Jul 6, 2022 11:27 AM

Jun 2020
After putting on hold the manga for so long, I can finally enjoy the adaptation. Definitely a show I'll look forward to for the rest of the season.
Jul 6, 2022 11:33 AM
Dec 2021
This anime seems great. Great episode.
Jul 6, 2022 11:48 AM

Feb 2008
Really liked this first episode, it felt like a fresh take on the Isekai genre.
Jul 6, 2022 11:53 AM
Oct 2020
Ok I like this a lot already. I hope he tells his uncle that the girl was just a tsundere
Jul 6, 2022 11:59 AM

Jan 2021
Amazing first episode. It actually made me laugh. Glad I discovered this 2 months ago while browsing for upcoming shows.

チュブリツァ

Jul 6, 2022 12:35 PM

Mar 2015
damn this is good, holy fuck!
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jul 6, 2022 12:43 PM

Nov 2014
Comedy seems solid. Then there is nice art and ojisan's VA that make it even better. Yeah, this one should be good.

But I'll admit those memories are painful to watch. Hopefully at some point he at leasts understand the concept of tsundere. The elf appears on cover in modern clothes so maybe there will be something more?
JustAnotherShiroJul 6, 2022 12:46 PM
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Isekai Ojisan Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2022

83 by FinalFlash18 »»
May 20, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Isekai Ojisan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2022

160 by FinalFlash18 »»
May 19, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Isekai Ojisan Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2022

129 by FinalFlash18 »»
May 19, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Isekai Ojisan Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 20, 2022

189 by RGreatDanton »»
May 19, 7:45 PM

» season 2?

Eldencheese - Dec 21, 2023

10 by Urdli »»
May 8, 11:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.