Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 4, 2022 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
Tbh, I like the overall chemistry of this episode/show. We got the cast talking about stories relate to Japanese culture but also just getting to know each other. Kanoko imo is one of the most interesting characters in the series.

Good delicious food too. Nothing too fancy but still looks tasty.
May 4, 2022 8:29 AM

Apr 2010
Itsuka learned a bit about the scary side of woman.
And the grandmother dropping by was funny she was certainly strict but she did seem to care about other a lot.
The part between the girls was really nice as well.
May 4, 2022 8:43 AM

Apr 2016
Those sharp Japanese street corners will one day kill someone, im telling ya. And of course the grandmother is treating the main-kun like a dirt, you would think theyll give it up by the fifth episode ... but nah, lets continue the bad joke.
May 4, 2022 8:58 AM

Apr 2014
Nagomu is sooo popular. I really loved Itsuka's reaction from the first half of the episode.
Location from this episode:
Kaso Shrine
Ginkaku-ji
AkeZZZMay 4, 2022 9:04 AM
何それ?意味分かんない
May 4, 2022 8:59 AM

Jul 2017
Itsuka with the part-timer Mitsuru Horikawa, and Kanoko by herself, the young-un and young adults have time to themselves, and Itsuka feels the pressure from people with very close relations to Nagomu: the crush and the ex-girlfriend.

It's kindred spirit that the ex-girlfriend is giving the crush tips and with the both of them being so alike, and only the mature Itsuka knows by keeping silent. Thankfully she doesn't really need to worry about each other getting in the way, and both Mitsuru and Kanoko already knows the entire story lols. Haha, what a moment for Itsuka to be fooled for two young adults to be once and vying for Nagomu's fervor lols, he's popular with women.

The day of his gramps' service days before preparing for Obon, and Nagomu's dreams felt dream-like of his Gramps conversing in spirit to him. Nagomu's grandmother really went "around Japan as long as she could" lols once Gramps passed on, but her palate for wagashi sweets is unmistakable for testing his father who've taken on the mantle of Ryokushou. And once she's on the job, she really went all strict on Nagomu in his growing-up years and even now, as the best candidate after his father on taking over Ryokushou, and seeing his Gramps' spirit within her.

This is a classic homey episode, that's for sure.
May 4, 2022 8:59 AM
Aug 2021
I saw the preview and Itsuka mother appeared!?
May 4, 2022 9:11 AM

Feb 2019
A much slower episode than the past couple weeks, but wholesome and cozy nonetheless. Don’t worry Itsuka, you’ll definitely grow up to be just as good an adult as Kanoko

Next week should be really good. Wouldn’t be a slice of life show without a parent coming back for their kid and causing a bit of drama, looking forward to that.
May 4, 2022 9:16 AM

Jan 2021
Bruh... Itsuka learned about scary side of woman and Itsuka giving Nagomu the elixir of life mandarin oranges is the comedy i never knew i wanted.
YuyuichiMay 4, 2022 9:24 AM
May 4, 2022 9:58 AM
May 2018
Nice episode as usual

The situation is very awkward for Itsuka who knew that Mitsuru and Kanoko has the same interest, Nagomu.
Itsuka's shocked reaction is priceless after heard the revelation from those two, lol.
May 4, 2022 10:21 AM

Jun 2021
The episode was so calm and soothing...loved it.
May 4, 2022 10:31 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Mitsuru and Kanako's kind of passive aggressiveness was very funny and Itsuka's reaction even more so xD.
Nagomu's grandma doesn't hold back with that stick lol.

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
May 4, 2022 10:37 AM

Sep 2020
The first half is so funny! Itsuka is so awkward being around them two.
His grandma made friends while traveling? That's so cool.
May 4, 2022 10:47 AM

May 2021
Itsuka's gaining experience as to how women are really like. I'm sure she will grow up fine.

May 4, 2022 11:18 AM

Sep 2015
Oh crap. Itsuka's mom with her "I've come to collect Itsuka" reminds me of Higehiro. Hope it doesn't go down the same way.

First half with the girls is pretty wholesome on the surface but a reality check for Itsuka lmao.

The second half is pretty predictable while we can see that his grandma is an important figure to him. She has high expectations of him to do well like his grandpa, which is much needed after years of getting looked down upon and guilt-tripping by his parents.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
May 4, 2022 12:13 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Itsuka seems perplexed that Kanoko and Mitsuru are getting along so well while still having an interest in Nagomu. It seems like Nagomu's grandma still has high expectations to run the shop as well as his grandpa so she has to literally whip Nagomu into shape.
May 4, 2022 12:33 PM

Jul 2016
As long as she doesn't listen to Kanoko's nonsense too often, I'm sure Itsuka will grow up just fine.

Overall, better than last episode. Seeing so much passive aggressiveness between Mitsuru and Kanoko was amusing to say the least and leaving tasteless physical comedy aside, I actually kinda liked Nagomu's grandma. I like how lively she acts despite her age and with just 7 minutes of screen-time, she's shown far more trust in Nagomu than his own parents ever did.
May 4, 2022 2:48 PM

Jul 2014
A better episode than the last couple have been. The first half was great with Itsuka's beyond-her-years awareness of Kanoko and Mitsuru's feelings and their shared knowledge of the other's feelings. The grandmother joining in on the physical violence towards Nagomu was tiresome (and it was definitely child abuse in the flashback), but she was a fine addition to the cast otherwise. Seriously getting sick of the show treating its protagonist like absolute shit all the time, though.

On a different note, why was "jinja" not translated as "shrine" in the subtitles? This is the first time I've ever seen anime subs make that choice, and I don't get it when it's such an easy translation that doesn't mess with the meaning at all.
May 4, 2022 3:28 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I love this anime so much... Kyoto food, beautiful sight seeing, japanese rituals during the Obon festival along with lovely characters.. walking around town with friends in the morning during summer vacation was something i used to do back when I was a kid.. so this takes me back to my childhood days.
The opening song is one of the best songs I've heard in anime ..the singer Maaya sakamoto also voices the mysterious woman who appears next week..

May 4, 2022 6:19 PM

Mar 2018
Interesting dynamic between the three, I love both Mitsuru and Kanako so I don't really mind who "wins" in the end.

The grandma seems nice, hopefully, she is able to live a long life and watch Nagumo succeed.
May 4, 2022 7:22 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh wow, twintail Itsuka, best Itsuka.

Heh Itsuka literally straight telling that those high schooler girl really had a crush on Nagomu and then be forced to be in the middle of her and Kanako which somehow appeared too without any sign before. Feels bad for Itsuka facing those complicated situations. Because when in the surface they both getting along nicely and seems like not really care much about each other relationship with Nagomu. But deep down the rivality sparks intensified within them and pretty much care about the whole situation which undoubtedly create some strange heat. Scary part for Itsuka indeed while also arise some question, how on earth Nagomu being so popular? Second part might hold the answer...

The second part where Nagomu grandma arrive. Like his father, the grandma very strict to disciplined Nagomu onto a better shape. Curious Itsuka was so adorable, well-noted. Though even after all that happened, grandma still care for Nagomu and entrusted the shop onto his hands without a doubt. And, with Itsuka too ofc....

Alright, seems like next episode something exciting happen. So yeah, lets continue this to the next week...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 4, 2022 7:55 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Seeing Kanoko and Mitsuru become friends in the first half was great, although the feelings they were hiding regarding Nagomu underneath paired with Itsuka’s reactions was hilarious lol, I hope we see more of those two together.

And it seems Nagomu’s grandma is pretty rough with the striking stick lol, but she actually cares a lot about the shop and wants to see Nagomu carry on the tradition, that was pretty wholesome, especially when the ghost of Nagomu’s grandpa was there next to his grandma.
May 4, 2022 9:07 PM

Oct 2016
I will never be able to consider this type of friendships as real friendships.
May 4, 2022 9:42 PM

Aug 2021
Nagomu does not know if he has problems with women or if they are too attentive to him, the grandmother has shown concern for her grandson's growth and wants to see him improve.
May 4, 2022 11:37 PM

Sep 2011
It was a good episode...BTW Am I the only one who is sad for Nagomu? His parents are so strict and also his grandma... Who beats his/her grandchild with a stick nowadays lol? Nagomu is a good person and I think he deserves a better treatment IMHO.
May 5, 2022 1:20 AM

Dec 2020
"i want to be cool adults like them one day" faded away quite quickly....😭😭 and poor nagomu damn everyone in this house hates him /lh
May 5, 2022 1:46 AM

Nov 2018
Really love the second part and the BGM is just perfect
May 5, 2022 2:40 AM

Apr 2018
Poor Nagomu.
Women can be very scary.
May 5, 2022 2:45 AM

Mar 2013
otakuclub94 said:
It was a good episode...BTW Am I the only one who is sad for Nagomu? His parents are so strict and also his grandma... Who beats his/her grandchild with a stick nowadays lol? Nagomu is a good person and I think he deserves a better treatment IMHO.

I actually surprised many of the reactions are "Nagomu has shitty parent" or "Nagomu's family being too strict to him" There is a parent who is much more worst than Nagomu's parent in this anime/manga.

In manga, there is a flashback part when Heigo (Nagomu's father) got the same treatment by his mother (the grandma) when he was young. Nagomu should be grateful he didn't suffer that much as Heigo who experienced that everyday when he was still an apprentice.

I have seen many of Asian parents both from my country and different Asian countries being so strict to their child especially if they are boomers or from traditional family despite the era has changed.

Being Asian, I can relate to him since my parent sometimes like this even though i'm already late twenties. If you're an Asian and you don't get this treatment from your parents then good for you.
May 5, 2022 4:57 AM
Mar 2022
I just have to say, I felt a little bad for Mitsuru :(
Also, grandma was iconic, lover her 😂❤️
May 5, 2022 5:28 AM

Oct 2016
Itsuka's reactions to Kanoko and Mitsuru were killing me lmao, that first half was really hilarious.

Great episode! I wanna see more of the trio hanging out, poor Itsuka though. Nagomu's grandmother was great too. I know some people are kind of put off by how they treat Nagomu, but that's pretty much normal-ish Asian parenting, they care for him of course, just very strict.

Really looking forward to the next episode for that sports festival and of course Itsuka's mother. Gonna be interesting.
May 5, 2022 10:23 AM
Jan 2015
Okay, for me this show was like your average SoL, pretty average one.
But from minute 10 to 13 of this episode it was a masterclass. Haven't seen one pinpointing with such a precision the pinnacle of female "friendship" when a man is involved. Absolutely brilliant, and Itsuka reaction to all of this also.
Best episode of the show so far w/o any doubt.
May 5, 2022 11:36 AM

Nov 2013
Hahahaha Itsuka did learn quite something (scary) about becoming an adult lol.
May 5, 2022 11:51 AM
Jul 2020
Mitsuru vs Kanoko, I'm confused about which one to choose, both have their own advantages.

May 5, 2022 9:08 PM
Oct 2016
Everyone's saying everyone hates Nagomu, but they all do seem to care. His grandma, believing in him becoming an artisan, with the spirit of his grandpa standing beside her... that's love. Sure he needs discipline, but the people around him(except maybe his father, and I think that will change) believe in him.
May 5, 2022 10:35 PM
Mar 2021
I'm starting to get tired of Nagomu being harshly treated. Its making me wanna drop this anime if they don't start treating him better by the next episode!
May 6, 2022 1:55 AM

Aug 2019
Itsuka is learning more and more about women’s behaviour.

A crush vs an ex

I wonder who’ll win lol
May 6, 2022 2:08 PM
May 2020
the first part of this episode was the definition of "after God, fear women"
May 7, 2022 6:26 AM

Jun 2016
itsuka mother at preview next episode ?
May 7, 2022 9:33 AM
Oct 2019
Stark700 said:
Tbh, I like the overall chemistry of this episode/show. We got the cast talking about stories relate to Japanese culture but also just getting to know each other. Kanoko imo is one of the most interesting characters in the series.

i beg of you ....someone please tell me who does nagomu end up with just so i can prepare myseld for it.....WHere are the goddamn manga readers when i need them😔😔😔
May 13, 2022 6:02 AM

Feb 2019
Itsuka's reactions were hilarious
May 15, 2022 3:06 PM

May 2016
Those two fighting over Nagomu was scarier than those Oni for Istuka.
May 16, 2022 6:23 AM
Apr 2022
Animystics said:
Stark700 said:

i beg of you ....someone please tell me who does nagomu end up with just so i can prepare myseld for it.....WHere are the goddamn manga readers when i need them😔😔😔

nagumo end up with itsuka
May 20, 2022 1:51 AM

Mar 2012
I had to pause the episode once when they kept talking about Nagomu. If this were another series, there might be electricity crackling while Kanoko and Mitsuru are smiling at each other lol. Itsuka's reactions in the middle ^^;;

Grandma went home for Obon. That part of the red bean paste evaluation got me nervous too haha. The longevity prayer to be able to watch over Nagomu/the family in general :')
May 25, 2022 2:06 PM

Nov 2016
Grandma is a savage lmao and obviously someone who knows how to promote her shop. This runs in the family.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 27, 2022 3:10 AM
May 2020
this episode was so... slow. and boring. even more than last one. :'(
Jun 28, 2022 2:20 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Lol the girls together are a good trio, especially with that "crush and ex-girlfriend" situation xD
Also that's nice to see the grandmother, she's sure devoted to the shop's succession and required skills
Jul 9, 2022 8:20 AM

Feb 2021
His Grandfather can now rest easily...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 11, 2022 8:00 PM

May 2020
They are so scary!!!

Very scary!!!

I need more of their interactions!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jul 17, 2022 3:06 AM

Jul 2015
Itsuka never become like those scary woman but more importantly seems like even grandma treats poor Nagomu like an useless kid...

Aug 1, 2022 1:44 AM

Aug 2018
More forced humor. Itsuka's facial expressions say: "this scene is supposed to be funny" ...but you know what? it's not.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2022

85 by CrackHeadReviews »»
May 9, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2022

61 by defaulticus »»
Apr 3, 9:40 AM

» Asking what happen at the manga

FeliksXzl - Jan 9

1 by bossunhimeswitch »»
Jan 9, 10:27 AM

» What are our thoughts on this one?

sorames - Jun 12, 2023

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 7, 2023 2:56 PM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 25, 2022

53 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Jun 21, 2023 11:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.