Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 2, 2022 1:47 AM
May 2021
Full disclosure: I like My Hero, watched the first 2 seasons and have been reading the manga for a while now.

I'm tryna understand why people hate this series so much because the only reason I can see is toxic fans.

Don't get me wrong it's not the masterpiece people hype it up to be but it's still pretty good.
So I'm curious, what are the genuine reasons people give for disliking/hating MHA (i.e not just saying its Mid)
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 2, 2022 1:57 AM

May 2020
the mc is annoying
and so is the angry bomb guy
can't stand them

and the flooty girl is just bland

May 2, 2022 2:02 AM
Jan 2021
The story is good but there's a lot of useless moments for the story, like section a vs section b fights and S4 second half. Some characters are annoying and deku and uraraka ship its out of context and no sense
zorziooMay 2, 2022 2:06 AM
May 2, 2022 2:06 AM

Jun 2016
Homura24 said:
the mc is annoying
and so is the angry bomb guy
can't stand them

and the flooty girl is just bland

Agreed. My sister and 4chan also told me that there's some asspulling going on in the manga lately but I can't confirm.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 2, 2022 2:07 AM
May 2021
for me, all characters except todoroki I either can't stand, or are bland as hell, or barely get any screen time, they always had the most boring arcs at times like class a vs b, and pretty much anything to do with the school, I lost interest in mha after the forest arc
May 2, 2022 2:11 AM
Sep 2020
I can't stand against deku himself and i can't stand against bakugo and his annoying voice
May 2, 2022 2:12 AM
Dec 2020
zorzioo said:
The story is good but there's a lot of useless moments for the story, like section a vs section b fights and S4 second half. Some characters are annoying and deku and uraraka ship its out of context and no sense

Yeah, that’s basically my take too. Plus the animation doesn’t compare to other big shonen, like JJK or Demon Slayer.
May 2, 2022 2:17 AM

Dec 2018
Everyone in class 1-A and 1-B sucks bar like 5, Horikoshi is too scared to kill his characters, basically removing the stakes. And overall MHA is the textbook definition of average.

Also you are correct, the fan base is not only toxic but has a combined IQ of 5
Stuff in the streets, Stuff with drip in the sheets
May 2, 2022 2:21 AM
May 2021
zorzioo said:

What do you mean by out of context? That's like the only ship in the show that does make sense
May 2, 2022 2:24 AM
Jul 2016
nintendofriendo said:
zorzioo said:

Yeah, that’s basically my take too. Plus the animation doesn’t compare to other big shonen, like JJK or Demon Slayer.

First 3 seasons had actually a comparable quality and production stand point to jujutsu Kaisen and demon slayer while S4 and S5 despite having their sheer of issues because of their schedules are tighter but it still both had their moments
May 2, 2022 2:24 AM
May 2021
Im_Stuff said:
Everyone in class 1-A and 1-B sucks bar like 5, Horikoshi is too scared to kill his characters, basically removing the stakes. And overall MHA is the textbook definition of average.

Also you are correct, the fan base is not only toxic but has a combined IQ of 5

Ok I agree with the killing off characters, thats really frustrating. like All Might should've died after the All for One fight.
May 2, 2022 2:26 AM

Sep 2021
the first season was kinda boring after the setup, which was great but s2, 3 and 4 were solid
May 2, 2022 2:29 AM
Jun 2021
How can you justify a series whose antagonist took 5 seasons to get establish where you get some stretched out unnecessary arcs

Season 5 made me disappointed otherwise I like this show
May 2, 2022 2:31 AM

May 2021
The plot progression
the characters
the confabulations
the antagonists
the psychology.
Basically everything....
May 2, 2022 2:34 AM
Jun 2021
cjcarr25 said:
Full disclosure: I like My Hero, watched the first 2 seasons and have been reading the manga for a while now.

I'm tryna understand why people hate this series so much because the only reason I can see is toxic fans.

Don't get me wrong it's not the masterpiece people hype it up to be but it's still pretty good.
So I'm curious, what are the genuine reasons people give for disliking/hating MHA (i.e not just saying its Mid)

I don’t hate the series, but I can see why people would hate/dislike it:

1. Fandom. Even though it is a small minority of the mha fandom a lot of them are very weird and make nonsensical ships between characters, and get very pissy when mha isn’t even in your top 10. This can turn people off as when you are watching/reading it all you can think about is the weird ass fandom. Even though it is a small minority of the fandom that are like this, they are very vocal so it gives the impression they are the majority.

2. Deku. People don’t really like winey crybaby protagonists, and delu is a prime example. Even though he has great power growth and becomes stronger overtime people still see him as the crybaby he was in the first season.

3. Bakugo. He shouts, alot weebs don’t like shouty people simple as that. Even though he is probably one of the best written characters in the anime/manga

4. The arc structure. Every other arc in mha is just a tornament arc or a team training arc that has no real consequence and adds near to nothing to the overall story. This was very prevalent during the first half or season 5, where loads of people weren’t rocking with it as was at the end of the day, only used to show black whip off.

5. Nerfing the actual good characters. By this I mean mainly lemillion and star and stripe. These two had so much potential but there character arcs were just so short lived. They did have a great conclusion but they could of done so much more with them and made then even greater.

Cool now that i’ve said the bad stuff I’ll just say abit about the good:

1. Villains. They have amazing villains with amazing motivation and development. Shigaraki is in my top 3 villains in animanga and I don’t see him moving below top 5 anytime soon. Twice is also amazing and his character arc that has been in play since the start of the overhaul arc is just incredible. Speaking of overhaul he is also great. He added so much to the growth of deku and also has an amazing power that reflects on his own persona. And dabi is just full of revenge thst is shown beautifully though his

2. When an arc goes big, it goes big. Mha has a lot of meaningless arcs that add close to nothing to the story but then they have these amazing 8, 9, 10 out of 10 arcs that just blow me away, like the overhaul arc the endevor arc mva arc, and the plw arc which will be covered with n the majority of season 6, which is by far the best arc.

Over all i still think this is a great series. Right now in the manga it is a 9 of me, depending on how is end it could ether stay a 9, drop to an 8 or even be a ten if the end literally has my weeping at the end, which I don’t imagine it will.

This kinda turned into a half review aswell but oh well. Hope this answers your original question
May 2, 2022 2:38 AM
Nov 2021
Some of the episodes are just plain boring like they are just fillers so that they can get more air time and earn more money because there isn’t anything actually with a decent plot to air
May 2, 2022 2:42 AM
Apr 2020
i dont think the show is bad, just painfully mediocre.

it started off with an alright premise and although difficult, i could ignore the fact characters were dumbed down to a singular trait or were bland/annoying as hell (e.g. uraraka is poor, mineta is a perv, bakugo is angry all the damn time etc). but as each season was released, the episodes felt as if they had no substance and i soon had nothing keeping me interested anymore. to put it simply i stopped caring.

on the bright side the animation isnt terrible and i somewhat enjoyed the events leading to the end of s2.

by no means is it the next coming of jesus that some people make it out to be but it isnt absolutely terrible either.
urlovermyuMay 2, 2022 2:48 AM
May 2, 2022 2:42 AM
Nov 2021
This is the perfect lower mid show
Im just waiting for deku to do something to satisfy the hype but nope he sucks just crying all the time i hate this show
I dont know how this show of all won that much crunchy roll stupid awards everything is boring ,I even completed full anime in hope it gets better but still sucks and movies are just stupid fillers
May 2, 2022 2:46 AM

Jul 2021
I legit thought OP was going to give his take about his reasoning to dislike MHA
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

May 2, 2022 2:54 AM
Jul 2021
shash_king18 said:
How can you justify a series whose antagonist took 5 seasons to get establish where you get some stretched out unnecessary arcs

Season 5 made me disappointed otherwise I like this show

i agree with your second point. Seawon 5 was dissapointing to say the least. But that is a fault made by bones nit horikoshi as its way better in the manga
May 2, 2022 2:55 AM
Nov 2020
almost everyone is annoying AF. Bland characters. No stakes. Mediocre animation. Tournament arcs/training arc forced every season. Finally dropped this mid in s5
May 2, 2022 2:59 AM

Apr 2016
I like BNH a lot, and I have zero doubts the main reasons people is because they WANT to hate it.

Don't misunderstand me, as every shows, it's not perfect, and these flaws may be more important for some people, but when you read people hating BNH you watch they take every flaw and give them ALL the importance. You can destroy ANY show with that attitude.
So, as I said, I have no doubts it's still hate.

Concerning the reasons this show may be fairly dislike, it is very cliché in its approaching, there are a lot of characters and some of them can't be properly developed, its Academia parts may be considered "no-plot related", some characters may be annoying for some people (Bakugo is the best example)...
May 2, 2022 2:59 AM
Aug 2021
I like the show. Especially the Movies.
May 2, 2022 3:00 AM
May 2021
I personally really like MHA, but if I had to point out some flaws:
- Other characters are more likeable than Midoriya
- Some storylines feel rushed
- It gets boring sometimes, especially in Season 5
- Story is progressively weaker, MHA peaked in Season 2 and first half of Season 3
- Most of the characters live in the shadow of our main 3 characters: Midoriya, Bakugo and Todoroki
- Altering previously estabilished things
- MHA movies break the plot in one way or another and are pointless since they don't impact the main story at all

But I still thing MHA is really good and can't wait where season 6 takes us.
May 2, 2022 3:23 AM
May 2021
notsofamousxD said:
almost everyone is annoying AF. Bland characters. No stakes. Mediocre animation. Tournament arcs/training arc forced every season. Finally dropped this mid in s5

Must have thought there was something to it if you watched 5 seasons of it no?
May 2, 2022 3:28 AM

Jan 2021
The plot felt extremely boring after the Tournament arc, the Villains are retarded and I've stopped caring about the MC's dream to become the best hero because he already has the most broken quirk in the show.
Certain arcs like the Camp and Provisional Licence were downright awful with Bones' animation being the only saving grace.

I haven't checked out S5 yet, but it wasn't exactly praised.
certifiedbingerMay 2, 2022 3:35 AM
May 2, 2022 3:28 AM
Jul 2021
The first three seasons were pretty good but then season four was very boring. A lot of the fight scenes were dragged on, like there were some episodes just dedicated to one person fighting against another person (or people). The other arc of season four was weird and it didn’t fit in with the rest of the series, in my opinion. Season five was also boring. I haven’t seen the other half of season five since I just got bored of it and I’m leaving it on hold for now. Another reason why I don’t, and many other people don’t like the show, is because of the fandom. Especially, the cosplayers. I’m not saying that cosplay is weird or wrong, it’s just that a lot of these cosplayers are cringy and just plain weird.
May 2, 2022 3:46 AM
Oct 2019
They recycle the same “oh no surprise attack ee are getting ambushed” for how many arcs now? Is it not getting old? People also just didn’t enjoy season 5 that much that was considered their worst, background characters still barely developed if at all and are just given random ass power ups instead other than like the strongest 4 characters of 1A(deku, bakugo, todoroki, lida) who actually have had development, the writer doesn’t know how to write females so all the girls in the class basically are bland and do nothing other than sit still and look pretty other than maybe a handful of random character moments sprinkled in. A big appeal of the show too was the animation, not to say it looks like shit now but that selling point isn’t as relevant now when people jumped ships to shows that have better animation like demon slayer or have better fight choreography like jujutsu kaisen. There’s a bunch of reasons why mha is hated more now suchas the fandom and it doesn’t help that people consider season 1 and 2, maybe even 3 as the best, when the newest seasons are considered your worst the show is bound to not be liked as much.
reredundantMay 2, 2022 3:57 AM
poo poo
May 2, 2022 3:47 AM
Sep 2020
The training arc in season 5 was the last straw for me. Another filler arc with pointless action. Its kinda amazing how there is so much bs dialogue and fighting and at the same time NOTHING is happening. I see no point skipping most of the season just to get to the climax that has all the importance.
May 2, 2022 3:47 AM
Jan 2021
the fans what else
May 2, 2022 3:49 AM
May 2021
There are only two reasons I am not that big on MHA:
1) The toxic fans
2) The MC cries all the time. A lot of MC’s do this but it gets boring and repetitive seeing him crying all the time
May 2, 2022 3:57 AM
Feb 2018
Mediocre shallow shonen with some hype moments. Enjoyed the early seasons but I got tired of watching around season 3, 4. Majority of the characters are bland as fuck expect for the main cast. Plot is pretty good but the story is poor. Easy watch though so I cant blame the masses.

Also fuck Todoroki.
ZeatheonMay 2, 2022 4:08 AM
May 2, 2022 3:58 AM
Shirayuki-Fan
Jul 2020
it's about super heroes .
May 2, 2022 4:01 AM
Apr 2022
The biggest problem I have with MHA is the pacing and most times the first half of a season is a bit boring compared to the second half. Don' t get me wrong, MHA has better pacing than most shounen Anime (Naruto Bleach etc.), but it is still a bit slow for me. But that could be because I watch many Hollywood movies and in most cases they have always good pacing.
May 2, 2022 4:08 AM
Jan 2021
I have a lot of problems with it
Terrible cast (only good character for me is Mina)
Very boring and Unengaging story
Janky animation (apparently it’s a lot better past S2 but I’m not there yet)
Pacing’s not the best
Overall really boring and painful to watch. There’s no impact of events, it forces character backstory and development to the point where it makes the experience worse, and it tries to push slice of life elements too hard. There’s nothing that’s really notable about the anime for me, except mina and a couple moments of S2 tournament arc
May 2, 2022 4:11 AM
May 2021
I only watched 3 seasons but it could have been better. I did enjoy some of the arcs alot though like Stain and the Bakugo rescue. Tbh the training arcs really brought down my enjoyment especially the 2nd half of S3. Don't even feel like watching S4 after that. I don't mind Deku, but the cast is really weak. Otherwise it's pretty good. Better than Black Clover at least
May 2, 2022 4:15 AM
Apr 2022
Midoriya grows up too slowly and started weakly, he’s charming but lacks the stuff that a 1.Place Hero needs
. That’s the point of his character but it’s boring to watch his Hero Arc
May 2, 2022 4:38 AM
Nov 2020
cjcarr25 said:
notsofamousxD said:

Started watching it when I was new to anime. Then I watched more shonen and got bored of mha
May 2, 2022 4:53 AM
Feb 2021
i literally cannot stand the characters within the series, and most of it I skipped it. i only enjoyed a few select arcs and i only gained my favourite characters through theories rather than from the shows itself.
May 2, 2022 5:04 AM
Aug 2021
It's getting repetitive after few seasons
May 2, 2022 5:13 AM
Mar 2022
Main Reason I think its just okay:
The sheer amount of characters in it that were copied / "took inspiration" from a different anime / Manga.
Examples:
-Amajiki (Guy with food quirk) is directly and undeniably a rip off of Yu Ishigami from Kaguya-Sama Love Is War, in both appearances and personality. There is no denying he is a direct copy.
In MHA movie 3: World Heroes Mission (Not gonna spoil any btw) there is a character who is obviously supposed to be a Ghoul (from Tokyo ghoul)

Second Reason I think its just okay:
Season 1 and 2 were good, season 3 was decent, but 4 and 5 were not good. As much as people say the first half of S4 is good, I just can't agree. Everyone knows second half of season 4 was you know exactly what lol.
Third Reason I think it's just okay:
Characters. While there are some good characters (very few) there are way more annoying characters. The league of villains has the only good characters ngl.
May 2, 2022 5:15 AM
Mar 2022
notsofamousxD said:
cjcarr25 said:

Started watching it when I was new to anime. Then I watched more shonen and got bored of mha

yup same, I used to really like it but now I see how many flaws it has
May 2, 2022 5:16 AM
Mar 2022
nimokeN said:
I only watched 3 seasons but it could have been better. I did enjoy some of the arcs alot though like Stain and the Bakugo rescue. Tbh the training arcs really brought down my enjoyment especially the 2nd half of S3. Don't even feel like watching S4 after that. I don't mind Deku, but the cast is really weak. Otherwise it's pretty good. Better than Black Clover at least

Black Clover cast better...
May 2, 2022 5:22 AM
Mar 2022
santosh___15 said:
This is the perfect lower mid show
Im just waiting for deku to do something to satisfy the hype but nope he sucks just crying all the time i hate this show
I dont know how this show of all won that much crunchy roll stupid awards everything is boring ,I even completed full anime in hope it gets better but still sucks and movies are just stupid fillers

Crunchyroll awards are just a joke at this point.
(LOL I still find it funny how eren won best protagonist and second place antagonist in crunchyroll awards)
May 2, 2022 5:32 AM

Aug 2020
I enjoyed the first 3 seasons and they were great, then the show went downhill. season 4 was sloppy & s5 was trash because of the story and characters.
now I have joined the haters' side.
make a thread after waching 5th season lol, then we'll talk.
May 2, 2022 5:37 AM
Mar 2021
Because the series goes from 8/10 story arcs to 4/10 school arcs constantly.
May 2, 2022 5:37 AM
Feb 2019
I don't hate it, but it is not my cup of tea. I watched the first season only though, so I only base my opinion on that.
May 2, 2022 5:44 AM
Feb 2021
MHA is good but the shipping ruins it all, and honestly they’re all bad, and people who cosplay their “ship” is soo cringe it’s mostly on TikTok
May 2, 2022 5:48 AM
Sep 2021
to everyone who hates this show I have one question you:
why are you not dropping this yet?
May 2, 2022 6:01 AM
Dec 2021
cjcarr25 said:

I like MHA too. I haven’t seen season 5 yet but I probably will when season 6 drops. The reason I and likely many others don’t like this show is that there is so much wasted potential. At its peak, MHA is a great show. All Might VS All for One is peak, but most of the show just drags on and adds pointless filler. Sure, it’s not “technically filler because it happened in the manga”, but this doesn’t matter when it’s boring and nobody wants to watch it. They go from insanely hype moments to awful high school moments that nobody cares about.

Other people have brought up the point that the show is called My Hero ACADEMIA, I still don’t care. It’s ridiculously boring and a waste of time. This, paired with the slew of useless characters I don’t care about with forgettable names, makes this show a 6/10 for me. Still good, and REALLY good while it’s at its peak, but these moments are few and far between.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» what's up with the rating?

Tormented - Jun 9

11 by Phloup »»
Jun 9, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

441 by ToTheGyz »»
Jun 7, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

336 by ToTheGyz »»
Jun 6, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

279 by ToTheGyz »»
Jun 5, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

298 by ToTheGyz »»
Jun 4, 2:32 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.