Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 30, 2021 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, this episode finale really is something. The running scene and montage scene of art looked majestic and surreal. I loved the usage of the style crafted for this particular episode.

Glad to see the show managed to retain the feel similar to the other episodes to the end. Definitely one of the most unique anime this season imo.

Sep 30, 2021 8:59 AM

Jul 2017
So apparently Nagara made it back to the real world from the magnet force of a pull in space...but Nagara was mistaken, most of his classmates become quite distant while leading their own lives (while the insert song again is quite appropriate for this scene). Is this truly the kind of world he was called back to after going adrift?

Of course not, both Nagara and Mizuho are still stuck in the same ferris wheel capsule of a compass left by Nozomi, to wander the distant dimensional psychedelic world. And in comes Asazake to find Nagara to settle the score of what's left behind, and finally learnt of the true story to deliver the final piece of the puzzle: to meet God, traverse through time and space, to set things right and reach home with the 2nd compass from Asakaze. Run for freedom in full-on surrealism, the both of you, just like the birds.

Those cats cost a fortune to maintain though, Mizuho's still quite fixated on them. Sadly, as Nozomi is gone from the dimensional This World, she also gone in the real world as well (as Nagara knows he couldn't change the world, but it's one that he chose out of many possibilities). But as much as Nagara avoids Mizuho from stranger to known friend (with the code "Rajdhani's parrot laughs" their linkage), and the lessons from This World learnt with the loss of Nozomi. While another Nozomi appears in front of Nagara (obviously not being the same), he's contempt with what came out of it.

This is pretty much a melancholic ending of a world that only exists for those who have a desire to go back home. But still, I find myself coming out of Sonny Boy feeling very satisfied with its subliminal message. A BIG THANK YOU to Shingo Natsume and Madhouse for creating this derivative of a piece of unique work.
KANLen09Sep 30, 2021 10:23 AM
Sep 30, 2021 9:13 AM

Jun 2019
This finale was definitely a rollercoaster. On one side, I'm glad that they made it back but at the same time, there are some things that you don't want to happen in the real world. Man, I loved Nozomi and her character, one of the most sophisticated people there. Other than that, I enjoyed Mizuho's character in this show as well.

Overall, all I would say, it's not your "close your brain and just let it slide" type of show. You definitely need a bunch of brain cells to understand this show completely. Even then, it can get quite confusing at times. But, It was a great watch nonetheless. Really loved the art style of the show as well. A very unique experience.
Sep 30, 2021 9:54 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
At least Nozomi didn't really die even though it's just another different one in this world but it's quite depressing to be honest.
Anyway overall that was sure really impressive, it's the proof Madhouse can still make these older original experimental anime but with a modern touch, and it works perfectly this way.
AshhkSep 30, 2021 9:58 AM
Sep 30, 2021 9:56 AM

Jul 2020
Well consider me confused and yet impressed, the series ended on a relatively melancholic note but I think it suited the overall theme of the show for sure
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Sep 30, 2021 10:02 AM
Dec 2018
Ending song, like he both sing and cry sametime.

Watch the classics, because there's a reason they become classics
Sep 30, 2021 10:04 AM

Nov 2011
Wait hold up...I think my mind has been blown...were they middle school students all along? Because they were supposed to graduate in the Drift world, but it's been two years in the Real world and they are now in High School...am I just understanding this now???

Either way I thought Mizuho was going to forget Nagara...she did but it took the realization of the glass breaking to remember.

The running scene was beautiful...simply and utterly beautiful. The views of Mizuho looking at Nagara and seeing his determination to fulfill Nozomi's wish was amazing.

At the end of the day Nagara is contempt with being back in this world even with all the shitty moments he has been dealing with. Them realizing they couldn't change the world just seemed...right to me.

Brilliant anime...It's AOTS imo. Scoring it a 9/10 but overall... 8.8/10

kingofgame39 said:
Ending song, like he both sing and cry sametime.

Yep I heard the same thing. I thing this resonates with the viewers as well because this is not a full happy ending but kind of a contempt ending.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 30, 2021 10:10 AM

Oct 2018
I don't know what to say, I don't know what to think, I don't even know what score I should give, but all I know is that this is my favourite anime this year.
I almost cried when Kodama showed up, even if it was just a second, her episode is my favourite episode of the year.
I'll re-watch it this weekend.

I hope this anime will be a new beginning to Madhouse.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Sep 30, 2021 10:15 AM

Dec 2014
VIsually amazing, but that was it, that is all this has to offer, fancy bling with no substance.
Started of promising and interesting, went nowhere.
Sep 30, 2021 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
Say what you will about the show’s sometimes confusing plot, it has by far the best music I’ve ever heard in any anime. I give it a 8.5/10
Sep 30, 2021 10:20 AM

Oct 2017
Kind of a so so finale. They both made it back safe and they both remember being adrift. Nozomi's also alive in this reality but ofc she doesn't know a thing about the whole going adrift.

This was certainly a unique and a bit complex show but that doesn't make it great. I liked the earlier episodes but somehwere in the middle it became pretty boring and the later episodes were no better. Still a decent watch nonetheless.
Sep 30, 2021 10:20 AM
Sep 2015
I think there's a reason that anime like this only come once or twice a year, otherwise its surprising elements won't work as well as this. I've more respect to the anime that is belong to the well-known genre yet still brining something new along with it. Venture to the uncharted territory doesn't instantly make it classic.
Sep 30, 2021 10:24 AM
Jan 2021
A fitting end to the show
Sep 30, 2021 10:26 AM

Apr 2020
The ending is not what I expected, but it feels right to me. This ending resonates with me. There are some things in life that you have no control over, some things that you can't just change. Sonny Boy is a huge metaphor about growing up, so it rightfully ends melancholically and bittersweet. With an acoustic rendition of Shonen Shojo to boot, the lyrics are still there but the usual teen angst is drowned out.

Though Nozomi's circumstances may be vastly different from the one that drifted, with Asakaze as her probable boyfriend, she's still the same old Nozomi taking care of birds. It's why Nagara went off with a smile, that there is still hope for them to be friends again.

Sonny Boy is a solid 9/10. It has its quirks, it has its flaws, but overall it was a very good watch with good rewatching potential. I'll miss waiting weekly for this show. Sayonara, Sonny Boy.
Sep 30, 2021 10:26 AM
Mar 2020
I loved, loved this episode. The music was incredible, and it was a beautiful ending.
I'll miss Sonny Boy
Sep 30, 2021 10:29 AM
Nov 2019
Impressive finale. The psychedelic visuals & direction were amazing. The melancholic music really suited this episode's tone. It was a wild ride from start to end.
Sep 30, 2021 10:29 AM
Jun 2020
This was a great ending and tied up the loose ends left. We learn everyone who stayed in their worlds transformed into objects representing themselves. Nagara and Mizuho decide to go back to the original world knowing very little will change but they still have hope. They no deep down inside nothing will change but they still want to go back and they do. It is very reminicent of EoE in the sense that despite Nagara and Mizuho knowing that nothing will change they choose to go back despite the worlds short comings so they can live their life. There is something poetic about their determination to keep going despite the depressing truth they returned to.
Sep 30, 2021 10:31 AM

May 2020
WHAT THE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL??
BRO THIS IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE ON DRUGS
The visuals on the escapism scene is so God Tier bruh Plus the usage of OST in this ep perfectly captures the vibe of the show making the music on of the greatest feature this anime has to offer along with mind boggling simple visuals and underlying interesting plot
Hats off to sonny boy and I'll definetely miss this show

Ok Im getting chills again the acoustic version of the ED is so great bruh. Its so rough and pure that makes it more impactful and to simply describe this ending: Fever Dream
Sep 30, 2021 10:31 AM
Feb 2021
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, this episode finale really is something. The running scene and montage scene of art looked majestic and surreal. I loved the usage of the style crafted for this particular episode.

Glad to see the show managed to retain the feel similar to the other episodes to the end. Definitely one of the most unique anime this season imo.

I have seen enough, I'm satisfied.
Sep 30, 2021 10:42 AM

Jan 2009
lol Asakaze x Nozomi happened well their different people on a new timeline

so Nagara x Mizuho should happen since they are the old copies or versions from the adrift world

"reality is often disappointing" - Thanos
but Nagara knows he cannot change the world the way he wants so he just accepted it and gonna adjust himself to the reality of the situation little by little

bittersweet ending for another coming of age story from the anime industry

degSep 30, 2021 11:04 AM
Sep 30, 2021 10:43 AM

May 2021
An pretty good ending, I was relieved that Mizuho din't forget about adrift, an real masterpiece 10/10
Sep 30, 2021 10:49 AM
Apr 2021
The show was abstract as hell. I was very confused in the beginning (For around more than half of the season). I was waiting for things/concepts to get cleared but after episode 8 I realised the fact that beauty of this show is in those abstract little details and there will be no grand revelation which will make everything logical. Gotta say love the approach for the ending. Feels much more real than happily ever after.(7.5/10)
Sep 30, 2021 10:51 AM

Jul 2017
Overall, a pretty good finale to end what was a pretty decent season, albeit there were a couple of episodes that even for a mystery/psychological fan like me, didn't really grab my interest, so I'd say it falls just a bit short of being a 'good' season. I do appreciate this show though for not being about spoonfeeding anything and creating quite an experience to behold, backed up by a really immersive soundtrack and fitting visuals. For now I'd probably go with a 6/10, maybe I'd rewatch it with a binge and would like it more as time passed. Highest scoring show for me this season tied with Vanitas no Carte.
Sep 30, 2021 10:52 AM

Jun 2021
Episode 12, like many of its other episodes, was carried by it's great OST and artistic direction by Shingo Natsume.

The BGM in this episode was amazing (Love the toe track). This show definitely has one of the best anime OST of all time.

I wouldn't say this show was great, but most definitely unique and would recommend people to give it a try.
Sep 30, 2021 10:52 AM

Jan 2018
This has become one of my favourite anime of all time.
The visuals and soundtrack were both amazing but what I liked the most was the story, philosophy and characters.
Every new episode kept bringing something interesting and unique, it made you use your head and think.
The anime didn't explain to you everything outright but rather you had to piece everything together with the information it gave you and come to your own conclusions, which I especially liked about this anime.
They nailed the ending and it's really fitting for the story, I couldn't be more happy with the last episode.
I will definitely miss this show, I hope they make more anime like this in the future.

Overall score: 10/10
AntonioWuxSep 30, 2021 11:07 AM
Sep 30, 2021 10:56 AM
Mar 2021
Man this was an amazing ending. It NAILED the feeling of moving on and leaving something behind and it felt so empty. I’m satisfied.
Sep 30, 2021 10:56 AM
Apr 2021
I love so much every music piece that was used in the episode ^^
Sep 30, 2021 10:59 AM

May 2020
They made it back in their own world, and looks like only Nagara and Mizuho have those memories of going adrift. Good to see Nozomi being alive too but having her no memories of going adrift seems a bit of waste.

They really put an effort to make this one of those series where you won't understand anything unless you have those galaxy level of brains, was good for some earlier episodes but then there was just load of an information throwing over here and there, so it can be labeled unique for something like this.

Obviously there won't be any sequel, but still maybe they could have tried to explain things a little better. ED was pretty good btw.
Softhenic03Dec 4, 2021 2:42 AM
Sep 30, 2021 11:04 AM
Aug 2017
Easily one of the best shows I have seen in the year so far. The ending was definitely bittersweet, but life is also like that.

It kinda upset me Mizuho pretended to not know Nagara when he first called out to her, but I'm glad she ended up approaching him later. Maybe she got angry because he didn't use their code lol Or just needed some time to herself.

SoraSenpai said:
Wait hold up...I think my mind has been blown...were they middle school students all along? Because they were supposed to graduate in the Drift world, but it's been two years in the Real world and they are now in High School...am I just understanding this now???

Either way I thought Mizuho was going to forget Nagara...she did but it took the realization of the glass breaking to remember.

They were on their last year of middle school, and about to start high school so I guess the confusion is understandable.

Mizuho had her memories all along, she just decided to not talk to him for some reason we aren't allowed to know lol. That's why she goes to check the school, and every single place that used to have portals Nagara found. It was her checking If things really did go back to normal. The glass breaking was her testing If it would get fixed, since everything that was inside the school in the adrift world would get fixed shortly after it was broken (mind you, this was pointed out after they go from the black void world, to Hateno Island, so maybe that rule didn't exist in the black void world).

Sep 30, 2021 11:05 AM
Mar 2018
if you didnt think sonny boy was aoty, its because you didnt watch it yet.

enough said. 😤
Sep 30, 2021 11:06 AM

Apr 2020
I still have wayyyy too many questions omg
I don't know how signatures work

Sep 30, 2021 11:07 AM

Jan 2009
EstebanOD said:

like what happened to Mizuhos teacher boyfriend that never got resolve
Sep 30, 2021 11:17 AM

Feb 2020
Thank God I can take 'optical illusions' of random colours and dimensions, because if not I'd have for sure stopped watching.

Eh, not really appealing to me. Could say I'm "disappointed". Not sure why, but I thought I'd find this more pleasing. wasn't interested in most of the characters here; hard to say if any of them really stood out in the end, at least for me.

Some saying the art style looked great, but I couldn't get used to its simplistic backdrops and designs. I prefer those with a better palette.

I wonder if I'd liked this if I didn't sleep on every half of an episode during the last half lol
Sep 30, 2021 11:23 AM

May 2021
The final episode of this amazing series. They have returned to their original world though Nozomi doesn’t remember anything unfortunately. It had quite a sad tone throughout this episode also. I personally liked the ending. Each episode really gave me something to think about after. Going to miss watching this every Thursday.
AISHITERU...REM!
Sep 30, 2021 11:24 AM

Jun 2014
Well this show was definitely not an easy one to grasp, and admittedly I never really fully understood what was going on, but it was still an enjoyable watch. Very unique, with that type of "show, don't tell" style that requires a little bit of thinking on the audience's part to fully understand what the show is trying to say, since you won't be spoon-fed or have your hand held along the way. This is one of those shows where each individual viewer will walk away with their own personal interpretation of the anime's events, which is nice as it sparks discussion. I think I'm going to refrain from scoring this one for now, I want to rewatch it at some point before officially deciding what score I want to give it. It was good though, and certainly an interesting watch.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 30, 2021 11:31 AM

Jul 2011
Was a great ending but was the most depressing episode overall.

I really thought that Nagara co-worker would be Nagara keep going with life.

Im sad for Mizuho
BlichoBoySep 30, 2021 11:36 AM
Sep 30, 2021 11:34 AM

Apr 2018
I must say that Sonny Boy's inserted songs were insanely good. Hopefully someone can tell me the name of the second one.

Anyway, Nagara and Mizuho decided to go back to their own world because that is the choice they made and the reason behind Nagaro's decision to go back was the light that Nozomi saw. The optical illusions were one hell of a ride; you could see the past in them which was pretty cool way to do summarize the anime. It seems like a lot of years has passed between the dimension shift because everything was pretty much gone in the Other World.

Back to their own world. The direction of the episode was phenomenal, it wasn't through words but visuals. A few dialogues here and there. We saw how Nagara spent his few days back in his own world. I was pretty confused at why Mizuho decided not to talk to Nagara but ended up talking to him a few moments later. She probably didn't wanted to remember what happend? Something like that IG.

The conversation between Mizuho and Nagara talking about the decision they made. He knew that he couldn't change the world and still decided to go back. I feel like he made the decision just to see Nozomi back but that would be stupid. Mizuho's cheering up words brightened Nagara's face. Their lives has just begun, that's the mindset that he will take on and move on from everything that have happend so far.

I feel like this was a pretty good way to end the serie. It was not a happy ending neither a sad one. Something inbetween, that still managed to impact me with tons of emotions. No one really understood what has happend in Sonny Boy. Neither will we ever get an explanation but that's fine for me. The theories I made for myself managed me to get through this show.

About the production; animation was normal, nothing spectaculair. But on the otherside, the artstyle and visuals were phenomenal. Characters were pretty standard except for a few such as Radjhani, Mizuho, Nagara, Nozomi and the black dog. The OP/ED were pretty good but I feel like the inserted tops topped the OP/ED's. Those were just INSANE.

8.5/10

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 30, 2021 11:46 AM
Jul 2021
deg said:
EstebanOD said:

He was very obviously fired. It was an element of her backstory. She made friends with the ponytail girl eventually, implying she forgave them for doing that.
Sep 30, 2021 11:48 AM

Jan 2009
Reelens said:
deg said:

He was very obviously fired. It was an element of her backstory. She made friends with the ponytail girl eventually, implying she forgave them for doing that.

what episode is that?
Sep 30, 2021 11:57 AM

Dec 2016
Holy smokes, I don't think I've yawned that much watching anime as I did watching this finale.

This show fails to abide to Chekov's Gun on so many levels. Like Nozomi's alleged death in their own world, Aki sensei's antagonism or the guy in the wheelchair, even Asazake's expected confrontation was a complete bummer, other characters were nothing but red herring, like Ponytail girl or Hoshi. All that pretentious BS about capitalism or a world where Kenjiro Tsudogo could have allegedly saved by War's infection served up no real purpouse, just stupid and pointless stories to make this show look "deepu" (I think even the nonsensical stories of Granpa Simpsons had more meaning than any of these).

For me this show reached it's peak in episode 6 with the graduation ceremony episode, if it had stopped there it would had had a more favorable score from my behalf (not to mention it would have only wasted only 6 episodes of watch time). I'll still give it a favorable 4.5/10 just because the first part of the series had a lot of potential and because it didn't bore me like the second part did.
KimurahSep 30, 2021 6:30 PM
Sep 30, 2021 12:00 PM

Jul 2017
really hope they release those songs from this episode sometime if they havent already
Sep 30, 2021 12:00 PM
Dec 2020
SideCharacterKal said:
I must say that Sonny Boy's inserted songs were insanely good. Hopefully someone can tell me the name of the second one.

are you thinking of 「サニーボーイ・ラプソディ」by toe? this one gave me goosebumps as soon as i heard it and i had to pause the episode to find out the name. sadly it's not available on spotify for me :(
Sep 30, 2021 12:02 PM

Apr 2018
pizzashordy said:
SideCharacterKal said:

are you thinking of 「サニーボーイ・ラプソディ」by toe? this one gave me goosebumps as soon as i heard it and i had to pause the episode to find out the name. sadly it's not available on spotify for me :(

Thank you sm! Yep, it was this one that I needed. It gives me such a calming and emotional feeling.
Hopefully everything will be released on spotify soon..

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 30, 2021 12:13 PM
Jul 2021
Zerity said:
really hope they release those songs from this episode sometime if they havent already

The OST has been out for a bit

deg said:
Reelens said:

what episode is that?

Episode 7
ReelensSep 30, 2021 12:18 PM
Sep 30, 2021 12:14 PM

Jul 2017
Reelens said:
Zerity said:

ye but these songs in this episode were just for this episode and not the other ones
Sep 30, 2021 12:14 PM

Dec 2020
This anime was such a ride. I'm definitely going to miss this show.
Sep 30, 2021 12:17 PM

Aug 2021
animé at the end of time

I'm surprised they went for the safest and/or most sensible possible ending. This could've gone in literally any number of directions and instead we get another 'remember kids, choose to live in the future you shape with your hands!'

good bye, sonny boy
Sep 30, 2021 12:19 PM
Jul 2021
Zerity said:
Reelens said:

ye but these songs in this episode were just for this episode and not the other ones

The full OST, I mean. It includes these songs. I listened to them before the episode came out.
Sep 30, 2021 12:20 PM

Jan 2021
Don't say goodbye ´u`♫
It really was something out of the ordinary Sonny Boy, I'll miss it
Soruca_Sep 30, 2021 12:27 PM
Sep 30, 2021 12:22 PM

Mar 2013
I have this inexplicable feeling in my heart that I keep thinking about this anime over and over for some time now.

I think Nagara and Mizuho went back to a different world where nozomi was alive and not to the one they originally adrift from.
Nozomi made a promise with Nagara that whatever becomes of them in the other world once they go back, they have to become friends again. So I was sad to see Nagara choosing to ignore her and continue to live in a melancholic state.

As much as I want to give it the best rating, this abstract piece of work leaves something more for desire imo. Had it been well rounded like TTG, it would've become my favourite instantly.
I'm sure there will be a bunch of deep meanings in the anime which might get clear upon a re-watch, and yet, I want to treasure this experience and don't want to watch it ever again.

Overall, the artstyle and music was fantastic, and even tho I hate seeing the loose ends and personal interpretation endings, I think it was a fitting coming of age story with a bittersweet message.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.