Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 26, 2021 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's refreshing to see the cast hanging out at a restaurant until you realize the food isn't so ordinary.

Still, this episode felt less tense but their lives are still far from normal. Out of all the main characters, Nagara still seems to be the most tactical thinker. I'm curious what other plans this show has for him.
Aug 26, 2021 8:59 AM

Jul 2017
Man...the debate of the This World is really OVER-THE-TOP, condemning Nagara just because he has the superpower to drift to different This worlds. yah right, the judgment will be passed down soon enough from Koumori the Convictor from Beatnik, but it's not his fault in the first place becausse God gave him that power to begin with.

Still far from home and everyone has to make life-or-death measures. From Yamabiko's account, it's a whole other ballpark of a trance for these castaways.

The analogy of Rajdhani making an ant colony, it's funny that Nagara has to set them all free, wasting all his hard work. A twist of another world dhift from turning at the exercise bar, and Nagara lands himself in a Black Company-like corporate shill, the This world that's akin to the underground ant hill in a Babel-like setting.

Nagara's only guide is this dishevelled boy Futatsuboshi who is used to working in this hard life (Cells at Work! Black vibes anyone?), and naming him "Nagata" on his own accounts. There're castaways also, building this tower to Heaven to go back to the outside world...IN REVERSE for time millenia. The umbrella guy host Susugashira being part of Beatnik, an elite dream team of travelling to different worlds. Everyone hates Nagara for dealing them this Drifting Classroom situation, it's not glossed over easily.

To see the shooting stars, Futatsuboshi's excerpt makes sense: "How deeply you believe in nonsense is important. Because if it wasn't we wouldn't have anything. Nothing more." Because it serves as the metaphor for building Babel to reach the Heavens, Futatsuboshi and others are like worker ants wanting to reach outside. But the shooting stars are nothing more than bugs for their meal.

It's great that the others have already begun to work together to figure out how to get out of This world while leaving Nagara behind. The exercise bar makes me think that that is how they think, and contrary to belief, the world is upside down, and Nagara knows it to reach the top and find Koumori, his power to make things upside down into an eternal abyss. Good thing that he cleared Nagara of all the condemnation and LITERALLY turning the decisions upside down. Rajdhani wanting to learn more about the possibility of the many This worlds, it's really time that he set out on his own. He's easily the best character out of the 36, and a great support thus far. May we miss Rajdhani and see him again before the end. Rajdhani gave Nagara a really good name of his power: World Creation.

The guidebook journal to all 36 students' powers from Rajdhani's painstaking record logging efforts with him sailin away into the distance, and what the trio decides to do with it is anyone's guess.

To go home or not, that is the question. Mention Robinson Crusoe on "Adrift", and I think we know where we're going.
KANLen09Aug 26, 2021 11:14 AM
Aug 26, 2021 10:18 AM

Jan 2009
ant colony a metaphor of human society there eh

Mod Note: Removed screenshot(two embedded images) and added spoiler tag
dipItFooSep 7, 2021 9:51 AM
Aug 26, 2021 10:23 AM

Jun 2019
Those dumbfucks really blaming Nagara for this. And, wow they'll even go as far as to crucify him. Nice. Rajdhani is one of the most interesting characters to me in this show, he's always doing something with things here and there and trying something new. Nagara really walking on thin ice there with his name being 'Nagata'.

Nagara's friend was nice to him for treating him in the restaurant but damn that food made me puke myself. Too bad his only friend there couldn't survive long enough and got eaten alive. Once again, they're really playing under the concepts of worlds and dimensions and different timelines which is enough to make the brain go, "What?" if you don't understand it enough. Interested to see what kind of surprises are there waiting for him in the upcoming episodes.
Aug 26, 2021 10:39 AM

Nov 2015
I'll be really sad if Rajdhani simply never appear again, when he went on his on journey, it felt a lot like a goodbye to my favorite character of this show...

kinda sad episode, but the easiest one to understand so far, Hoshi became a lot friendlier, which i didn't expect.

i want a full episode, at least, on Rajdhani journey on the sea.
Aug 26, 2021 10:39 AM
Feb 2011
Nozomi doesn't want to get back to the original timeline

Nagara reading the book Robinson Crusoe. A boring book that I do not recommend. The book is about a hypocrite that travels the world and has his aspirations/purpose change when presented with new circumstances.

Hoshi is leading the Ark with majority of the class it seems. Not sure if I believe that he can't hear voices anymore

Aki is discovered to be a student but there's no scene where they call her out for what she's done.

Rajidani just wants to learn more about the world until he's figured out a way back.

The worker ants just do what they're told and continue their miserable lives following the instructions of their leader. Whether or not they're 100% faithful in what they're being led to they rather have direction--even if it's backwards--than none at all. Moral of the episode.
Aug 26, 2021 10:46 AM
Sep 2015
This anime really doesn't have any limit or rules.
Aug 26, 2021 10:47 AM

Jan 2021
i just thought, what if nagara made an entire new world, just like earth with his power. i mean it could be possible who knows.
anyways this was by far the most interesting episode but im still waiting for an episode which explains everything as the series is still quite confusing

"Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because
they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out."

Aug 26, 2021 11:11 AM
Apr 2016
ShibitoMatuzaka said:
The book is about a hypocrite that travels the world and has his aspirations/purpose change when presented with new circumstances.
Isn't that completely normal and common?
Aug 26, 2021 11:13 AM

Jan 2021
I think the world he has fallen into is like a reflection or a critique of society by comparing it to a colony of ants )?

Some special weed they smoked making this episode xd
Well, so they're all gone except Nagara and two others, we'll see what they do from now 0.0
Aug 26, 2021 11:14 AM

Jan 2015
Another great episode, although I’m so lost at this point lol.
Aug 26, 2021 11:24 AM
Mar 2018
The pacing of this episode is quite different. More easygoing. I like it. Gives more room for creating a sense of reality, of time and permanence to the Babel world. Makes it more memorable.

The whole construct reminds me of Vertical World, which is great.

The moral of the story this time seems straightforward... To escape the worker ant's destiny, one has to turn the world upside down. Take a leap of faith. Be bold. However, is that all? Everyone else decided to find their own way, leaving for their own adventures. Not everyone cares about returning home anymore. That's what it means to grow up, to become and adult - you build your own home, wherever you are.

Nagara once changed everyone's fate by setting them adrift. Now he wants to use the same world-changing power to give them hope. It's a simple goal - one that had been imposed upon him by the others. But now he's made his own choice. The monkey fur-ball is his constant, his anchor. Even if everything else changes, it'll remind him of where he began, when he started to change. Whatever happens, he'll still be himself.

Almost feels like an ending... ;)
Aug 26, 2021 11:32 AM

Jan 2012
The show is a bit too slow for my taste.

Back in ep 6 (or 5?) when they showed us that Nozomi died I actually started to think that Nagara saw her jump off the roof and created the drift. The question is why he doesn't remember anything. Also seeing Nozomi doesn't want to get back sort of proves this theory (though doesn't prove Nagara being in fault for the drift).

The main problem of the series is that it has way too much exposition and way too much "explaining rules" but way too little of this is actually important or make sense. Out of 7 eps which is more than 2 hours we have like few minutes of plot-essential information. That is why I really doubt authors can create something logical out of this. And if my theory about Nozomi is right (I doubt it is) then it's even worse because that would be boring and predictable.

I like stories that you have to solve like puzzles, but with every episode Sonny Boy proves that we won't get any logical (or at least an original one) explanation of things and that's what saddens me the most.
Still a good watch 8/10 (for now).
Aug 26, 2021 12:01 PM

Jul 2011
Koumori remembered me of Kaiki with that hairstyle.

Nozomi depressed visually, isn't a good thing.

Now that many are out of the picture, even Rajdhani (who hurt see him go on a voyage), I wonder where the story will go.
Aug 26, 2021 12:09 PM

Aug 2020
rajdhani left ? fuck sake now who is going to explain all this bullshit to us ?
Aug 26, 2021 12:11 PM

Dec 2020
Really compelling episode. I liked the approach they took depicting the humans as ants.
Aug 26, 2021 12:16 PM

Feb 2021
I'm starting to get sick of people saying this is the best anime of this season when they don't even know what they just saw
Aug 26, 2021 12:29 PM
Feb 2011
JanPri said:
ShibitoMatuzaka said:
The book is about a hypocrite that travels the world and has his aspirations/purpose change when presented with new circumstances.

Yep, it's survival from yourself. If your meaning relies on your environment, you'll never be true to who you are
Aug 26, 2021 12:40 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Cool, either pieces are strating to fall into place by implying that the many worlds interpretation is correct and the fact that the drifters are from different timelines are caused by Nagara's ability unnintentionally... or I'm completely lost and theorizing out of my ass XD. Still, gotta say that the discussions that can come from this exposition are actually very intriguing more so with the many ellipsis that may or may not happen between scenes and episodes. Hell, maybe even some of those are out of order but I doubt it.

I'm looking forward to watching the next episode.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Aug 26, 2021 12:41 PM
Apr 2016
SnowBrightt said:
I'm starting to get sick of people saying this is the best anime of this season when they don't even know what they just saw
I also don't understand nothing, but I think it's maybe just because I'm dumb. We're simply not as smart as them
Aug 26, 2021 12:47 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I hope Radjhani comes back at some point. He really helped put the happenings into perspective.

It's crazy how the mob is so eager to always crucify Nagara. He cannot help what he's doing.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 26, 2021 12:52 PM

Dec 2016
Good Lord. Wished this particular episode had a TL:DW segment at the beginning, to avoid this bothersome 24 min sleeping pill.

This episode series in a nutshell.

TweedleDane said:
rajdhani left ? fuck sake now who is going to explain all this bullshit to us ?

They still got Kenjiro Tsudoggo to call out more BS and still not get adressed. He kinda reminds me of the blabbermouth motorcycle in Kino no Tabi who knows it all, but only speaks when it's infodump time.

KimurahAug 26, 2021 1:02 PM
Aug 26, 2021 12:57 PM
May 2020
SnowBrightt said:

But thats why it is, the unexplainable rule.
Aug 26, 2021 1:08 PM

Feb 2021
JanPri said:
SnowBrightt said:
I also don't understand nothing, but I think it's maybe just because I'm dumb. We're simply not as smart as them

Propably lmao. First time seeing an anime and genuinely not understanding anything that's happenning.
Aug 26, 2021 1:30 PM

Mar 2016
What? Everybody left? I hope they reach home.

I am sad about Rajdhani leaving Nagara. He was my favourite character.

I am really confused about the ant world. Are they digging into the ground or somewhere in the "sky"?

Koumori seems like a nice man. I like how his name is bat, and his power with the umbrella makes him look like a bat.

That one man with a giant sock on his head! haha

Asakaze came back to them. I wonder what will happen with his arc. He confuses me a lot, but I am enjoying his character because of it.

Nozomi, after learning of her death, seems to have lost confidence or maybe the will.

Hoshi says he lost his powers. I thought he would somehow be an important part of the story from the way he was introduced.

I hope we don't stop following the other students on their journey.

What happened to the "Sore dake dayo" guy? Did he really just die? Can he get reset as well?
Oh, BTW, I love how Nagara ends up saying "Sore dake dayo" at the end.
Aug 26, 2021 1:42 PM

Apr 2018
There's a cult here and there, humanity fighting against each other and blaming it on people in order to make themselves feel better. Ah yes, It's Nagara's fault so they have to punish him. But he overcame it and is going to move forward without losing any hope.
I'm really going to miss Rajdhani, probably my favorite character after Mizuho. But he's doing it for the greater good. What a chad, the rest is going to try to find solutions in their own ways.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 26, 2021 1:50 PM
Jul 2021
I have been keeping up with this series since episode 1. I was watching it with a friend weekly (am no longer) and has kept it up on my own. I really felt heart broken when Rajdhani left the others behind. Seeing them all say their goodbyes (Mizuho's was the cutest) was sad. The part I found the most interesting was the "ant" world. How Nagara using his ability to flip the world give it a whole new perspective. This series really is great and it's something I would want to rewatch over and over to fully understand it.
Aug 26, 2021 1:51 PM
Jul 2021
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's refreshing to see the cast hanging out at a restaurant until you realize the food isn't so ordinary.

Still, this episode felt less tense but their lives are still far from normal. Out of all the main characters, Nagara still seems to be the most tactical thinker. I'm curious what other plans this show has for him.
Same. I really do like his character. Though I can understand why, I do feel bad when the other characters shit on him.
Aug 26, 2021 2:02 PM
Aug 2018
"How deeply you believe in nonsense is important. Because if it wasn't we wouldn't have anything."

It's funny how I see some comments putting that phrase as an excellent description of the episode, but doing it in a negative way, lol. For me is the opposite, but I do know where they're coming from. I don't think it's meant to be a meta-commentary on the episode, but more of a commentary of how humans live their lives.

I mean, Fuck... isn't caring about anime nonsense? And I mean, you care about an anime if you like it, and you care about it if you don't like it, but see people enjoying it, lol. But what about our lives? Our real lives, the ones we don't talk about in these forums? Are we just aimlessly working to live, without really believing it will lead us somewhere in the future, or that there's any meaning to it all, just to come back to our homes and watch some anime that helps us sleep? Mizuho also says something interesting in this episode: "It sure is dull not being able to die". The only reason we care about nonsense is because we never stop think we're going to die.

So anyway, yes, of course people won't like this episode. I also have a tendency of seeing these indecipherable shows as always having some kind of meta-commentary on life, so that's just how I see it. It doesn't mean people are dumb or that I'm smarter. It just means everyone sees the world differently. "Nothing more"

Anyway, this felt like an episode of Mushishi. A lot of mindful dialogue and a very subtle message, that nonetheless leaves you thinking at the end. Also, it seems like we're finally getting into the End-game here. Don't know if anybody noticed, but Nagara, Nozomi, Mizuho, and Asakaze were always the main four characters in every promotional poster of this anime. So I'm guessing it is, sadly, the last goodbye to all of the other characters, and we'll have these four characters traveling together for the rest or the show. Or maybe not, nothing in this show surprises me anymore, lol.

This was a bittersweet episode, I'll miss the other guys :'(
Aug 26, 2021 2:50 PM
Nov 2020
I'm just here to say that Rajdhani is the best character out of everyone. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
Aug 26, 2021 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
the world where they are already has a lot of mystery about all these dimensions that Nagara has tried to return to his world, a new environment the tower had air very well worked in relation to the basis of the explanations for all this but I was curious what it should have happened to the friend of Nagara after he was pulled by that monster.
Aug 26, 2021 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
Another solid episode. I see people trashing the show bc it’s confusing, but I actually think it works for this show. We are obviously still in the dark about a lot of things but isn’t that the point of a mystery? I wouldn’t want all my questions about this world answered right away. Who tf would want a mystery told like that?

Anyways, I’m hoping the coming episodes give more attention to Nozomi and what she wants. I feel like they’re hinting towards that, an example being the ended the episode with her saying “I don’t know what I’m going to do yet” so maybe will she leave the island or stay with Nagara?
Aug 26, 2021 5:05 PM
Jul 2015
It reminded me the psychedelic episode from the 60's Pink Panther cartoon. Still think that the idea from this series came from a wild night of alcohol and substances.
Aug 26, 2021 5:15 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Another fun episode that you can just sit back and let flow. A rarity in the usual strict structure of so many anime.
Aug 26, 2021 5:22 PM

Oct 2020
Hmm, it seems that Nagara's probably going to attempt to create a new world. Ants symbolizing humans, heh, I see what they did there. Damn, Rajdhani has been such a key element. Sad to see him go.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2021 5:49 PM

Jun 2021
After last week's episode 6 "finale" this episode certainly feels like the start of a new season. The show feels like it's heading in a different direction now, and now it makes sense why those 4 are the only ones listed as the main cast.

It's good to finally see some character development for both Nagara and Nozomi, with Nagara finally feeling like he has a purpose, while Nozomi seems to have lost hers.

I suppose the coming episodes may explore more worlds under the control of the Beatniks and run by Hosts.
Aug 26, 2021 6:09 PM

Apr 2015
Rajdhani left, now we can only depend on the talking dog to explain what's going on...

man, i felt Nozomi has lost her spirit after seeing that she will die if go back in original timeline..
now i felt more Nagara x Mizuho can happen more n more..

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Aug 26, 2021 7:13 PM
Apr 2018
This Anime Story has similarity like a Human in bible story (jewish version)

(Human start from heaven in eden, they eat from the tree good evil to came to the lowest part of the world to fix the world, each people has their specific ability, and so on)

Hoshi cant hear god voice any more, its same like because of sin human can hear god voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8TBKgbW45U
watch it all till the end ↑↑↑

if my english bad sorry im not native english
SevlynAug 26, 2021 7:33 PM
Aug 26, 2021 8:49 PM

Nov 2010
So, the students graduated the original world and have started new lives. It's funny that all the students except Nozomi seem more positive than before. But, in the future, their lives would turn into the ones similar to the ant-like community because of severe circumstances and immortality. Actually the most fortunate one should be Nozomi who evaded the death, but she also should have been the most eager one to return to the original world.

By the way, the process how each student opted for the way should have been depicted in further detail. The plot seems kind of abrupt. It's also too convenient development that the vehicles that Hoshi and Rajdhani made suddenly got the ability to leap among the worlds.
kuroneko99Aug 27, 2021 4:06 AM
Aug 26, 2021 9:49 PM
May 2016
ShibitoMatuzaka said:
JanPri said:

Yep, it's survival from yourself. If your meaning relies on your environment, you'll never be true to who you are

The real life Robinson Crusoe, Alexander Selkirk, was super lonely and f---ed goats.
Aug 26, 2021 9:52 PM
May 2016
Oof kinda depressing episode, don't be an ant kids. Kinda annoying they just dismissed the whole oppai sensei is a student thing.
Aug 26, 2021 10:18 PM

Apr 2020
I really like how it's social commentary of adult life, but in the perspective of an angsty high school boy.

Eat, sleep, work and repeat. It feels so meaningless, but it's the nonsense that drives us forward, be it a car that we're saving up, a hobby that we enjoy, or building up to "heaven". We believe in those in order to find meaning to the daily grind of life.

Also, I really like to think that being stuck in a black company is "real world" Nagara's fate after graduation. Maybe his wacky world hopping adventures vs his real life counterpart run parallel to each other. That would honestly be great story telling.
Aug 26, 2021 10:28 PM
Feb 2021
Does anyone know the voice actors of the sock head guy and 'the bat' umbrella boy?

I know I know their voices from somewhere but I cant place who they are, so please tell me If you know, Ive been thinking about it since watching the episode yesterday
Aug 26, 2021 11:42 PM

Mar 2020
Another good episode, a commentary on life in general I guess, we're all like worker ants in a sense.

We all work for a false hope that we'll one day get to enjoy a "good life". So we keep working for that false hope that we'll one day get there, because if we stop believing then we have nothing left in life, no hobby, no nothing, we're just there. That's fucking depressing. Bloody hell.

The comment sections of Sonny Boy are divided into 3:
1. People who understand the show and like it
2. People who don't understand the show and find it pretentious
3. People who understand the show and think they're too smart for it and the show is predictable
What a discourse holy shit lmfao.
Aug 27, 2021 12:26 AM
Aug 2021
Judevin said:
Another good episode, a commentary on life in general I guess, we're all like worker ants in a sense.

We all work for a false hope that we'll one day get to enjoy a "good life". So we keep working for that false hope that we'll one day get there, because if we stop believing then we have nothing left in life, no hobby, no nothing, we're just there. That's fucking depressing. Bloody hell.

The comment sections of Sonny Boy are divided into 3:
1. People who understand the show and like it
2. People who don't understand the show and find it pretentious
3. People who understand the show and think they're too smart for it and the show is predictable
What a discourse holy shit lmfao.

4. People who don't understand shit but like the characters, hoping it doesn't turn into another WEP (me). And it's probably all going to come together in the end and make me sob like Tatami Galaxy
Aug 27, 2021 1:54 AM
May 2017
Ugh idk just become something coherent by the end, show. I'm starting to mentally check out to the point I don't care about reading people's (attempts at) explanations.
Aug 27, 2021 3:55 AM
Jan 2020
Ahhhh the old "ant hill" metaphor. Turns out there are many, many other kids from the same school at different points in time, all adrift. And they're out for Nagara's blood. Somehow after seeing Rajdhani's anthill, Nagara stumbles into one of his own, where they're literally building the TOWER OF FUCKING BABEL. BACKWARDS. Now if that's not a curveball I don't know what is. Still very concerned as to who "Aki-Sensei" is and what she wants. Now everyone has left except the main few, I'm intrigued as to what they'll do next, potentially Nagara will find a way to create a new world where they're back to their old lives and Nozomi doesn't die. Who knows. Also would love to have an episode featuring Rajdhani on his travels. One of the best characters by a mile.

Every week I simultaneously understand more AND less about this show. Absolute mindfuck but a brilliant one.
Aug 27, 2021 6:31 AM

Mar 2016
i wonder what other worlds we will see! such a good episode for me :)

Aug 27, 2021 7:02 AM

May 2021
The easiest episode to understand so far because it felt more like a self-contained story and less connected to the overall plot, except Nagara's growth as a character.

Nozomi feels unsure now since she saw her death in the real world, it's like she switched places with Nagara.
Aug 27, 2021 7:12 AM

Jul 2016
phantomfandom said:
This anime really doesn't have any limit or rules.

I really have no idea how they are going to close this up.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.