Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 18, 2021 9:22 AM

Aug 2020
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Wow... It was sad.
Jul 18, 2021 9:33 AM

Jul 2017
Best one-shot I've read. By far. It was so great.
Jul 18, 2021 9:38 AM

Mar 2020
This manga was incredible straight from the beginning to the end. The art was great and the story was fantastic, it really made me feel some deep emotions for the characters even though it was 140 pages long. Definitely my favourite one-shot I've ever read.
"The best defence is a good offence" - Kiyoshi Fujino (Prison School EP 11)
Jul 18, 2021 9:43 AM

Mar 2020
Really, really good!.. and sad.. Enjoyed it a lot!
Also it wouldn't be Fujimoto if there wasn't a kino :D
cs
Jul 18, 2021 9:45 AM

Jul 2020
Pretty ok one shot
Jul 18, 2021 9:48 AM
Jan 2018
Bit confused about the alt timeline bit with the comic strip that was ripped up not so much as the what if scenario but the fact that she rips up the manga panel and the top half goes under the door unless it’s supposed to be seen as she rips the manga panel up instead of drops it.

Then there’s the panel that shows what about in the what if timeline but i guess she drew that while that scenario was going on in her head ?

Is this KyoAni inspired?

A sort of tribute to the artist’s and to highlight what was lost 2 years ago ?
Mattinator95Jul 18, 2021 10:29 AM
Jul 18, 2021 9:52 AM

Mar 2009
That was fucking sad. Realizing that it's the second anniversary of the Kyoani arson made me feel significantly worse after. Incredible one-shot.
Jul 18, 2021 9:53 AM

Apr 2020
Can any one explain the story after the death of Kyomoto and ripping the Manga strip I didn't understand like time is turned back they didn't meet on that day then she save her on that incident in which she should have died I am prity confused
Jul 18, 2021 9:54 AM
May 2015
Painsaw Man back at it again wit the depression
Jul 18, 2021 9:59 AM
Mar 2021
so abt the end who was saved and who saved her actually and is she alive
Jul 18, 2021 10:10 AM

Sep 2017
Very good one-shot, liked it more than Chainsaw Man ngl
Jul 18, 2021 10:15 AM
Jan 2020
tanaymithari21 said:
Can any one explain the story after the death of Kyomoto and ripping the Manga strip I didn't understand like time is turned back they didn't meet on that day then she save her on that incident in which she should have died I am prity confused

The part where it goes back in time reflects Fujino's grief and the guilt she feels towards Kyomoto's death. She comes up with this scenario in her head; "if I didn't do this, none of this would have happened." Obviously it's an outrageous scenario to come up with, where she just happens to be there at the time to save Kyomoto from being killed, but it's just her grief talking. It isn't literal.
Jul 18, 2021 10:15 AM
Mar 2021
so abt the end who was saved and who saved her actually and is she alive
Jul 18, 2021 10:24 AM

Dec 2018
It was simply amazing, Fujino sensei is top tier as per usual
But please, stop making me cry T.T
Jul 18, 2021 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
This was really good. It kind of lost me after kyomoto got arrested. But overall a great read.
Jul 18, 2021 10:26 AM

Apr 2020
TheRealTogashi said:
tanaymithari21 said:

The part where it goes back in time reflects Fujino's grief and the guilt she feels towards Kyomoto's death. She comes up with this scenario in her head; "if I didn't do this, none of this would have happened." Obviously it's an outrageous scenario to come up with, where she just happens to be there at the time to save Kyomoto from being killed, but it's just her grief talking. It isn't literal.
hmm... I would like to see it get serialised
Jul 18, 2021 10:35 AM
Apr 2013
all i can say is pain. just pain.
Jul 18, 2021 10:37 AM
Dec 2020
it was good,
the timeline kinda fucked with my mind and I didn't understand much, but yea over all pretty good.
Jul 18, 2021 10:43 AM
Feb 2021
It was really good. Had some amazing art. 44-45 in particular were absolutely beautiful.
Jul 18, 2021 10:55 AM

Apr 2020

did someone saw it aswell
LeysohJul 18, 2021 10:59 AM

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Jul 18, 2021 11:09 AM

Jul 2012
Kinda makes me wish for a Shark Kick manga tbh, that looked fun.

Good oneshot.
Jul 18, 2021 11:57 AM
Jul 2021
Speechleess.....
Fujomoto truly know how yo do a powerful one-shot in 140 Pages...

Fujimoto IS really a Goat...
Jul 18, 2021 12:17 PM
Jul 2018
Every time this man makes something it's fucking amazing
Jul 18, 2021 12:26 PM

Jun 2019
Did Fujimoto had a friend at Kyoani ? Cause this oneshot is oddly specific
Jul 18, 2021 12:33 PM

Jun 2014
This was another really good oneshot from Fujimoto. I hope they release a volume compiling his other oneshots so I can import it.
:3
Jul 18, 2021 12:34 PM
Oct 2020
Damn I'm broken 💔 right now after reading this it is one of the best story I've ever read in my life and the art style beautifully portrays their relationship
Jul 18, 2021 12:47 PM
Jul 2021
Absolutely beautiful.
Think of a threesome between Bakuman, Blue Period, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

The visual story telling in this one is superb with a lot of pages having no dialogue at all with just Fujimoto's improved artwork telling the stories.

Spoiler alert:

This manga was obviously a tribute for the kyoani incident which happens exactly 2 years from when this one shot was released.
Jul 18, 2021 12:50 PM

Aug 2020
damn that hit a spot . and the hypothetical situation she came up with in her mind made it even worse......

Letting the visuals do the talking , a very fine choice as usual . the spreads were damn beautiful as well .
Jul 18, 2021 12:54 PM
Jul 2019
Leysoh said:

did someone saw it aswell

It would be funny if this one-shot turns out to be the prologue of chainsaw man part 2, but i guess it's impossible.
Jul 18, 2021 12:56 PM
Mar 2018
This easily could be a Palm d'Or winning movie. Unironically kino. What director would film it? Kore-eda, Kitano, Miike? XD
Jul 18, 2021 12:56 PM
Sep 2014
It is in fact KyoAni inspired. After all today it's been exactly 2 years after fire.
Also it's strange to post oneshot's at Sunday.
Jul 18, 2021 1:10 PM

Jun 2016
Im confused with the scene where fujino sees a drawing of her saving Kyomoto, what's that supposed to mean? like, kyomoto couldn't predict that, is she imagining it? If so, why? I know this fanbase is fast to hype up things but man, I can't believe that everyone understood that part at all.
Jul 18, 2021 1:27 PM

Jan 2009
ye looks like its KyoAni inspired with all the plagiarism motive of the killer
Jul 18, 2021 1:38 PM
Mar 2018
KingCanute said:
Im confused with the scene where fujino sees a drawing of her saving Kyomoto, what's that supposed to mean? like, kyomoto couldn't predict that, is she imagining it? If so, why? I know this fanbase is fast to hype up things but man, I can't believe that everyone understood that part at all.
I think she was imagining that because regret. I need reread but I was touched.
Jul 18, 2021 2:04 PM

Sep 2019
Well, there isn’t much to say about the story since it’s just a one shot but I really liked it for what it is. The art was great. I wanted this oneshot to have a teaser for chainsaw man part 2 but oh well
z00nexJul 18, 2021 2:15 PM
Jul 18, 2021 2:07 PM
Feb 2021
fegandr said:
This easily could be a Palm d'Or winning movie. Unironically kino. What director would film it? Kore-eda, Kitano, Miike? XD
Exactly, this one shot was artistic af. Give this to a great director and it could be a kino film.
Jul 18, 2021 2:08 PM
Feb 2021
KingCanute said:
probably her imagination. She was having a regret trip inside that room.
Jul 18, 2021 2:10 PM

Aug 2012
Honestly liked this more than Chainsaw Man, it's a beautiful one-shot that carries more impact than most other manga I've read, let alone one-shots.

There's definitely some confusion when it starts going through the alternate timeline thing (though I don't think that's what actually happened, it was some weird grief thoughts from Fujino I think) and that's pretty much the only thing keeping this from a 10.

Fighting tears throughout most of the end of it, and several minutes still now after finishing it and reflecting on it. Fujino looking back and seeing her signature. Then the whole thing about not liking drawing manga. I don't know if it's possible to be involved in a creative endeavor on any level and not relate to those panels.

Then in the emotional climax we get the answer to the question, "why do you draw Fujino?", and it's not delivered in text, it's delivered in the memories. Kyomoto's smile upon reading her work, the emotional reaction it elicited in her, the tears, the surprise, the laughter. Those intimate moments spent together where her works touched her audience, and her friend.

And that's just the story on a surface level, the background context make it even more powerful. Fujimoto = Fuji(no) & (Kyo)moto, there's clearly him placed within the characters.

And as many noted, the "Kyo" being added is no coincidence. This is 100% written in response to that tragedy, in tribute to those lost. It's release date on the anniversary, the sudden horrific nature of Kyomoto's demise, the attackers claimed reasoning for the assault, Look Back just gets heavier with the real loss that inspired this tale.
Jul 18, 2021 2:22 PM
Jun 2019
I loved everything about it, again it shows that he's good at writing a drama based story, if he were to write a drama based series I think it would turn out fantastic. No matter how you interpret his works they'll still be amazing.
Jul 18, 2021 2:27 PM

Feb 2019
The literary canon welcomes today a new work into its halls. All high school kids will hate writing essays about this two centuries from now.
Jul 18, 2021 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
fegandr said:
KingCanute said:

yep it was copium right there with her imagination running wild
Jul 18, 2021 3:00 PM
Mar 2018
deg said:
fegandr said:

to think about the Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood BD/DVD on the floor, in the last page, Tarantino makes an alternative ending to Sharon Tate fate, like Fujino does. Oh, my.
Jul 18, 2021 3:03 PM

Apr 2020
Very good one-shot, One of the best ones I've read even though I've only read a handful of one-shots
Jul 18, 2021 3:13 PM

Jan 2009
fegandr said:
deg said:

to think about the Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood BD/DVD on the floor, in the last page, Tarantino makes an alternative ending to Sharon Tate fate, like Fujino does. Oh, my.

never seen that movie but i think its a popular western movie so maybe Fujimoto seen it
Jul 18, 2021 3:21 PM
Mar 2018
deg said:
fegandr said:

never seen that movie but i think its a popular western movie so maybe Fujimoto seen it
He really likes this kind of movies, mostly the horror ones.
Jul 18, 2021 3:27 PM
Aug 2018
I don't how much of this story is inspired by personal experience from Fujimoto. But it sure as hell made me wonder

First of all, many already love him, so most don't talk about it, but Fujimoto's style is pretty scribbly. I love it because of that, but I can see it totally affecting his own self-esteem as an artist when he was young. Also, when I read Fire Punch, I wondered if he did the backgrounds himself. Given the style he draws characters with, I doubted it was him, but rather some assistant he had who could do awesome backgrounds. I wonder if he'll comment on that at some point. If he had an assistant whom he was very close to. But either way, I could see this was very personal for him.

Then there's also the obvious KyoAni reference, which makes me wonder if he did this for himself or for them. Maybe for both, but we'll probably never know. That just makes this story all the more affecting.

And for those of you who don't understand the alternate timeline, it was just Fujino's fantasy. And even if it wasn't, then that door was just magical or something. She didn't transfer to that alternate timeline, and just saved Kyomoto in another timeline. However, I doubt that was the case, as when she enters Kyo's room, you can see some comic strips sticked to the window, and one of them had come off, which just happened to go under the door at the same time.

There's also a symbolism for the door, and as many other things and little details I saw in this manga, you'll understand it better if you're familiarised with his other works. As in Chainsaw Man, the door represents the trauma. She stayed behind it and imagined all that alternate timeline, but then she opened it and realized it was just a fantasy. She looked back and remember why she started to get into it in the first place. Because of Kyomoto. Then she stood up and started to work again.

End of Hiatus. now onto Chainsaw Man
Crap, that just gets me more depressed...
Jul 18, 2021 4:16 PM

Apr 2018
What an amazing one shot

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 18, 2021 4:32 PM

Mar 2020
Ohhh the feelings! :') "What if...." that hits hard!

Jul 18, 2021 4:32 PM
Jul 2018
Very profound one-shot. Especially main characters emotion are well-written. I'm touched every scenes.
Jul 18, 2021 4:56 PM
Aug 2020
This was fantastic, such a wonderful one shot.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime movie PV and KV, scheduled to premiere on June 28th, 2024.

ARK-13 - Feb 13

19 by K3Vz0 »»
Apr 17, 11:10 AM

» short explanation pls

inumxkii - Jul 22, 2021

5 by waalex11 »»
Feb 14, 2:20 AM

» Anime adaptation

MegamiRem - Feb 1

31 by Dbagas8 »»
Feb 13, 7:27 AM

» a question

Rafaelwokeuplike - Jul 1, 2023

6 by KawaiiWaz »»
Jul 13, 2023 6:34 PM

» How can it be finished but have an unknown number of chapters?

__g - Apr 16, 2022

2 by TheColdMayor »»
Sep 27, 2022 6:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.