Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 16, 2019 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lots of action this episode. I think this one had the most from the season so far. Even goblins joineed in that chaotic fight.

It's a good thing they actually kept the fight uncensored. It's basically a damn war this episode if you ask me. Army of Darkness vs the Knights. Some of the scenes were kinda painful to watch.
Nov 16, 2019 7:28 AM

Nov 2007
War started.

Talk by the twins.

The "box" in one monster made it berserk. Losing loyal knight also made the "vice-captain" lady to release her limit by activating her "box".

Also a pair of battle w. them revealing their own names.

Alice girl released a sphere.

Showing a knight hiding from fear of the war.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 16, 2019 8:34 AM
Apr 2019
I think now sao deserves above 8.
Nov 16, 2019 8:57 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That's one tense and terrible battle. You almost forget that most of the characters are not real
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 16, 2019 9:16 AM

Aug 2013
One of Fanatio guards, Dakira, showed real courage. RIP. Though I can't say the same for the green-haired guy.

The archer was badass, taking a lot of enemies on his own.
LeoNov 16, 2019 9:19 AM

Nov 16, 2019 9:23 AM

Dec 2014
Both the integrity knight unleashing their powerful moves was awesome, absolutely destroyed the giant and goblin chiefs. Action is fantastic.

Very interested to see how things will proceed from here.
Nov 16, 2019 9:35 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Damm that tense moment before the gate collapsed sure was done well. Fond memories are always potent sources of motivation and having their memories return sure is allowing the knights to fight ever harder. Deusolbert's first strike was beautiful and deadly to the enemies first wave. The use of smoke bombs by the gobs to mask their approach and allow them to bypass the first line was pretty cunning. Lady Fanatio sure had quite the close shave thanks to the light cube of the giant going berserk and affecting her own. Dakira's sacrifice though was so sad but served well to allow Fanatio to unleash her wrath. Though close Deusolbert sure managed to strike back at the nick of time with is ultimate skill that was both pretty and deadly and turn the gob to ash. In the end in death all souls are equal and will be transferred back into the world huh. For Alice seeing the deaths as well as seeing the process of it must be hard. Damm that was a very impressive ep that combined excellent action with story advancement and character expansion in the form of Fanatio and Deusolbert. Looking forward to see Alice's spell. Even though knowing that none of the people here are real seeing the knights and the soldiers fight so hard makes this battle even more intense emotionally.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2019 9:44 AM
Jan 2019
Excellent episode! I think that was one of the best episodes in the alicization arc. Having read the LN, my expectations for the adaptation were kinda low and I usually feel like a lot of content missing, but this episode changed my mind. I love that they concentrated on individual knight battles. Both Fanatio and Deusolbert were awesome.
jedivindNov 16, 2019 10:05 AM
Nov 16, 2019 9:47 AM
Nov 2019
I absolutely loved this episode. Especially Fanatio's fight, featuring more of the fluctlightes malfunctioning, showing how the artificial fluctlight's desires and emotions overwhelm the system. At the end of the episode when Alice was making that ball, I thought it was a pokeball for a second since it was forming red at the top and silver on the bottom. xD Overall great episode!
Nov 16, 2019 9:49 AM

Mar 2014
That cowardly knight that fled the field reminds me of Zenitsu from Demon Slayer.

Pretty freaky when that Giant Chief had a mental breakdown/glitch-out and went berserk.

Was the formation intentionally meant to break down? They put inexperienced Eldrie and that cowardly knight on the same side

Please tell me those twins didn't slink off to go kill Kirito..
Nov 16, 2019 9:58 AM
Feb 2009
okk it's safe to say this episode was fireee omg that knight Dakira who protected Lady Fanatio sheesh can't wait for next Saurday
FlaecyNov 16, 2019 10:14 AM
Nov 16, 2019 9:58 AM
May 2015
Episode was epic! Amount of violence and action is still well maintained.

Those twins addressed kirito as "rebel", hope they don't do anything awful.
Nov 16, 2019 10:10 AM

Feb 2019
Sees CGI Goblins *Overlord flashbacks intensify* Great episode, wall to wall action, A-1 is doing an amazing job with the action. Had chills the whole time, Dakira is a fucking legend. Just think, we haven't even got to the good parts yet.

Last week I talked about how SAO had been rating bombed by haters and it still makes no sense that at this point people who supposedly hate SAO still continue to watch it. You know what SAO is about and if that’s not your cup of tea, simply don’t watch it. There’s absolutely no need to waste your time watching something you don’t enjoy and hurting it’s ratings. Are there valid criticisms of SAO? Absolutely, but I guarantee the people rating it as a 1 and 3 this season are not giving it a fair shake. The series was at 8.4 literally just two weeks ago. Luckily, the score has rebounded from 7.6 last week and is at 7.9 now, which is still below where it should be but steadily improving. My review(a positive one) has also become the top one for it on MAL, so that's a good sign.

It’s so trendy to shit on SAO in the west by a loud minority, because a few youtubers made videos. *cough cough MB and Gigguk. yet in Japan, where it matters, it’s one of the biggest media franchises. Honestly, I don’t get it. Most of the issues people claimed to have had with the first two seasons are fixed in WOU. Kirito is not the main focus, no “jesus kun” (he never was, but Progressive probably will never get an adapdation so they’ll never know) there’s character development, the writing is great, the animation, art and score are Godtier. At this point I’m convinced SAO haters don’t even watch the series and just see “Oh there’s a new SAO, 1/10” “Fairy Dance bad!”
Nov 16, 2019 10:18 AM

Nov 2016
That's what I'm talking about. No bullshit, just straight action and war drama.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 16, 2019 10:23 AM

May 2013
any chance asuna makes an appearance next episode or nah?
Nov 16, 2019 10:31 AM

Oct 2019
This episode was abolutely amazing, everything was perfect. A-1 pictures is doing an awesome job with this series.
I'm loving Alicization!

Apr 2016
Arkantasa said:

I think this will answer to your question. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1810591

Jun 2017
God tier episode. Wow. The CGI is my only real gripe. Loved how they showed the violence (which, just so you know, will only get more extreme from here on out).
Signature.
Nov 16, 2019 10:33 AM

Feb 2013
It's a shame that they didn't adapt Dakira's chapter on the arc where we knew more about her past, motivations and so on. They did the same thing with Shasta weeks ago where they skipped the part where the character had a focus as well. So yeah, quite a failure on the adaptation to adapt the parts where they die but not the part where we know those characters and care about them for the death scene to makes sense in our emotional.
Nov 16, 2019 10:43 AM

May 2018
Finally some decent actions. So is Alice going to do EXCALIBUR with those power she collect?
Nov 16, 2019 10:45 AM

Oct 2017
The battle started and things ain't looking so good for them already. Also wth that integrity knight just straight up ran away and lol the giant chief was cowering with fear so much that his fluctlight glitched. Anyway wonder how much longer will they hold out and still no sign of Asuna.
Nov 16, 2019 10:45 AM

Aug 2012
It's gg, Alice is making a Spirit Bomb.
Nov 16, 2019 10:48 AM
Sep 2018
Man watching Dakira die was painful
Beautifully animated episode
Nov 16, 2019 10:49 AM
Aug 2018
War started in a great place!
The visual, soundtrack, everything was amazing. The best episode until now!
YorogiiNov 16, 2019 10:54 AM
Nov 16, 2019 10:53 AM

Jul 2008
I was laughing the whole episode lol superb action!

Nov 16, 2019 11:01 AM

May 2013
joshua10red said:
Arkantasa said:

I think this will answer to your question. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1810591

Thank youuuuuu! Helped me a lot!
Nov 16, 2019 11:09 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty weird spot to cut it off before Alice's attack considering what actually happens with it lol

I really liked that glitch thing as well, pretty creepy in a sense

The fighting though...not as much. Could've been done better. Never really liked this part of Alicization cause it's just a giant TG:re level clusterf*ck, and it gets even more crowded when Vector's gang does a certain thing later on

Next ep is probably gonna focus on quiet lady and her fight against one of the chief's

Nov 16, 2019 11:43 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ugh these fights were a bit boring to be honest, still good episode but not my favorite
Nov 16, 2019 11:47 AM

Jan 2009
damn good thing those in the dark territory does not have enhance armaments too eh lol but m sure the higher ups have them too

and Alice is making a spirit bomb its over lol
Nov 16, 2019 11:48 AM

Aug 2008
Pretty solid ep, I'm betting those twins realizing how underpowered that part of the front lines was, is probably gonna push Kirito into the heat of the battle. I mean we were teased before his will is still intact to a degree when he protected Alice last episode. My guess it's a build up to how he's gonna be forcefully snapped out of his coma-esque state. On one hand they wouldn't directly be harming Kirito, and it would still be in line with their troublemaking nature. Also, Asuna where the hell are you? Either way looking forward to next week, guess we'll see!
Nov 16, 2019 11:59 AM

Feb 2015
The episode itself was fine, not much bullshit, straight to the point, but there were some small details that really peeved me, such as the Deusolbert having tiny ass arrows, armor shattering like glass, but more importantly, Dakira (Generic Integrity Knight) blocking a hammer with the fucking edge of her sword, using her fucking arm as support against the edge of her blade. That seriously may have been some of the dumbest and inaccurate shit I've ever seen. You never, ever fucking block with the edge of a blade, least of all when the other edge is against your body. It's not really too important, and is very nitpicky, but is severely annoying when you notice it.

Other than that, and this isn't a criticism of SAO but anime in general, but anime shouldn't over rely on Voice Acting and shouldn't be afraid of using post processing to get better sounds, because a lot of the monster sounds seem far too human, to a ridiculous degree. Japan is so good at producing VAs, that they end up relying on them in situations where they shouldn't. The ogres, orcs, goblins, or giants or w.e here, Ranga in Tensei Slime, etc. The CGI as always could use work too.

Other than that, nothing is really too wrong with the episode, it's almost all stuff that all anime fail with. Decent action, no bullshit censorship, *cough*, Nanatsu no Taizai, *cough*, good animation. This still makes me nervous about SAO fucking things up come cour 2 climax, as seems to be SAO tradition.

YautjaNov 16, 2019 12:09 PM
Nov 16, 2019 12:10 PM

Dec 2015
Better than the previous episode. Finally some action again. Though it is a bit weird to see them trying for large army battles. :D Clearly this wasn't the strenght of the author of SAO. :D

Just sending one group each way to have the leaders fight in the end end and always the human leader winning while some higher ranked subordinate needed to help.

They could just have sent in the main enemy guy to fight vs Alicia and save the time used on other stuff. I like Bercoulli though - he is cool. Hoping to see him in action. (I guess he'll fight against the other guy whose girl got killed by the dark emperor ... beating him then fighting against the emperor until Alicia ges powered up and Asuna joins.)
Nov 16, 2019 12:14 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So the Dark Territory send out the Goblins and Giants to wear down the Human Army. The Integrity Knights are their own, but like they said its only a matter of time before the battle lines collapse starting with the left flank. I guess Alice is going to provide some kind of air support with that metal spirit bomb.
Nov 16, 2019 12:37 PM

Feb 2014
Everyone is going beyond their limits. I like how they turned the sense of fear and courage into coded expense.
I never thought I'd remember Fanatio that much but she really shines this season.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 16, 2019 12:37 PM

May 2019
- Goblin lives matter.

- The psycho twins will do some shit against Kirito.

- So Alice can make Genki Damas from soul fragments out from nowhere.

Asuna-sama probably just will show up when the Black Knight enter in the battle field. Hey, i'm wondering, not asking for spoilers novel dipshits.
Rob7Nov 16, 2019 12:45 PM
Nov 16, 2019 12:42 PM

Apr 2016
Amazing episode! Great animation, great visual effect, great sound, everything was great. I loved it! Wow.
Nov 16, 2019 12:52 PM
May 2017
I still think they talked a lot more than fighting in this ep.

And that war introduction took a lot more time than necessary.
Nov 16, 2019 1:02 PM

Jun 2014
Good episode. Fights were ok, no censorship thank God. Liked Fanatio and Deusolbert fights. Dakira was also very cool. Renly is pathetic. Wondering about Sheyta. And at the end Alice makes a Spirit Bomb, lol.

Shouldn't the Integrity knights use their dragons to wipe out large numbers of enemies, like Alice did when she was protecting her village... And they should really stop spelling Vector as ''Vecta'', like seriously. Can't wait for Asuna.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Nov 16, 2019 1:06 PM

Jan 2009
SailorVeki said:
stop spelling Vector as ''Vecta''

does that mean his power is like from Accelerator of Toaru Majutsu no Index?
Nov 16, 2019 1:32 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Lol who tf is Dakira? And why should I care about her dying? Unnecessary emotion manipulation devices all over the place. SAO has become so bad, honestly. I used to be a huge SAO fan but it seems that is becoming more and more like Overlord, focussing on the characters that are worth shit and uninteresting af. Without Kirito or Asuna, SAO is complete garbage. It just looks fancy.

2/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Nov 16, 2019 1:47 PM
Aug 2018
cchigu said:
Lol who tf is Dakira? And why should I care about her dying? Unnecessary emotion manipulation devices all over the place. SAO has become so bad, honestly. I used to be a huge SAO fan but it seems that is becoming more and more like Overlord, focussing on the characters that are worth shit and uninteresting af. Without Kirito or Asuna, SAO is complete garbage. It just looks fancy.

2/5

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

All you SAO blind fanboys need to wake the fuck up and realise this episode was a pile of trash. I knew counting on A-1 Pictures of all shitty studios to pull off an all-out epic war comparable to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in Return of the King was too much to ask for. Can only count on Ufotable to deliver something satisfactory for this kind of shit.

One chunk of the fucking episode was just slide shows of all the units, which by the way, the number of fucking times they kept repeating the descriptions of each one in this episode triggered the fuck out of me. You'd think twice is enough, but no lets just keep labelling them every time they are on screen ffs.

The fight choreography was bland and cheap as fuck. Animation was comparable to that of a hentai budget. The wide shot of the humans and goblins fighting each other was the same solder and goblin copy and pasted 30 times to fill the shot. A chunk of the fights were again slide shows.

Even all the Knight's fancy moves were just devoid of animation cause all the money spent on making it look flashy, which by the way, have fun trying to enjoy the fucking rest of the season with all its jaw dropping fight scenes when 90% of them are gonna be seizure filtered like fuck, just like in this episode, literally unwatchable, have to wait till blu-ray.

Oh and let's not forget the number of times the same frame of goblins being blown to bits by Fire Arrows Guy was used. Geez...I'm suddenly getting Gundam Seed and Gundam Wing footage re-usage PTSD.

And that Knight Dakira, like..who the fuck cares, I never even seen this bitch all series, and she appears for 2 seconds in this episodes and sacrifices herself...wow...whoopty fucking doo, am I suppose to feel sad for her? I have no emotional investment in this background character whatsoever...worthless, cheap, emotions thrown into the battle to appeal to the easily impressed viewers. This whole episodes execution lacked taste and any skills.

Overall, I went into this week's episode excited, expect to be amazed, instead I got a pile of crap reeking of all art and no animation. If it continues like this for the rest of the season, this will be as much of a let down as the end of the fucking first half with Kirito's garbage ass fight against Quinella.
HoloSimper9000Nov 16, 2019 1:52 PM
Nov 16, 2019 1:58 PM
Oct 2013
The true hero of this episode is Yuki Kajiura.
Nov 16, 2019 2:02 PM

Feb 2015
Fantastic episode the animation was really good. Everything is better that the season before. It left me wanting more.
Nov 16, 2019 2:05 PM

Feb 2013
cchigu said:

2/5

FaffywaffleJLA said:
cchigu said:

2/5

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

All you SAO blind fanboys need to wake the fuck up and realise this episode was a pile of trash. I knew counting on A-1 Pictures of all shitty studios to pull off an all-out epic war comparable to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in Return of the King was too much to ask for. Can only count on Ufotable to deliver something satisfactory for this kind of shit.

One chunk of the fucking episode was just slide shows of all the units, which by the way, the number of fucking times they kept repeating the descriptions of each one in this episode triggered the fuck out of me. You'd think twice is enough, but no lets just keep labelling them every time they are on screen ffs.

The fight choreography was bland and cheap as fuck. Animation was comparable to that of a hentai budget. The wide shot of the humans and goblins fighting each other was the same solder and goblin copy and pasted 30 times to fill the shot. A chunk of the fights were again slide shows.

Even all the Knight's fancy moves were just devoid of animation cause all the money spent on making it look flashy, which by the way, have fun trying to enjoy the fucking rest of the season with all its jaw dropping fight scenes when 90% of them are gonna be seizure filtered like fuck, just like in this episode, literally unwatchable, have to wait till blu-ray.

Oh and let's not forget the number of times the same frame of goblins being blown to bits by Fire Arrows Guy was used. Geez...I'm suddenly getting Gundam Seed and Gundam Wing footage re-usage PTSD.

And that Knight Dakira, like..who the fuck cares, I never even seen this bitch all series, and she appears for 2 seconds in this episodes and sacrifices herself...wow...whoopty fucking doo, am I suppose to feel sad for her? I have no emotional investment in this background character whatsoever...worthless, cheap, emotions thrown into the battle to appeal to the easily impressed viewers. This whole episodes execution lacked taste and any skills.

Overall, I went into this week's episode excited, expect to be amazed, instead I got a pile of crap reeking of all art and no animation. If it continues like this for the rest of the season, this will be as much of a let down as the end of the fucking first half with Kirito's garbage ass fight against Quinella.

Honestly, just read the light novels. At this point it's clear from all the Alicization arc that the studio is cutting many fundamental parts, like Dakira's backstory and focus which we should have see it before, or the same thing for Shasta. The director is basically going and advancing the story without the setpieces since the beginning of the arc last year ignoring an entire arc that became a small flashback, ignore eugeo's family development, ignored explanations about how incarnation works and so on. Much of Alicization only will be understood when read in the descriptions, narrations and internal thoughts of the LN which the anime does a bad job to convey or they don't even convey at all. As someone who was an anime only and began to read the LN in the beginning of the year and reach the end of the arc on Volume 18, I'm basically watching to see moments that i liked in the anime because the adaptation itself of the arc is really flawed.
Nov 16, 2019 2:13 PM

Oct 2019
best episode by far since the start of the new season. amazingly animated scenes and well executed fights. only part I didn't like is that one bitch who ran away IN THE MIDDLE OF A WAR AGAINST PEOPLE WHO HAVE LARGER NUMBERS.
Nov 16, 2019 2:19 PM
Jul 2018
Nemesis16 said:
cchigu said:

2/5

FaffywaffleJLA said:

THIS. EXACTLY THIS.

Honestly, just read the light novels. At this point it's clear from all the Alicization arc that the studio is cutting many fundamental parts, like Dakira's backstory and focus which we should have see it before, or the same thing for Shasta. The director is basically going and advancing the story without the setpieces since the beginning of the arc last year ignoring an entire arc that became a small flashback, ignore eugeo's family development, ignored explanations about how incarnation works and so on. Much of Alicization only will be understood when read in the descriptions, narrations and internal thoughts of the LN which the anime does a bad job to convey or they don't even convey at all. As someone who was an anime only and began to read the LN in the beginning of the year and reach the end of the arc on Volume 18, I'm basically watching to see moments that i liked in the anime because the adaptation itself of the arc is really flawed.

The backstory of Dakira was described in Vol. 16, I think that was about 10 pages. Exactly where the war breaks out, maybe that's why they cut it. Alicization was really better than any other arcs until Episode 14 or Vol. 11, and it was getting worse and worse from that point on. Also, one reason could be that the characters from Underworld have too little screen time to make the audience emotional, also this SAO works only with Kirito because he is well written. Only with well written characters can SAO be good, as did the beginning of the anime and the light novels at Alicization.
removed-userNov 16, 2019 2:22 PM
Nov 16, 2019 2:33 PM

Apr 2017
skyUFO said:
I was laughing the whole episode lol superb action!

THis shit was amazing

I swear to god this episode was something else.

I'd even say that this is one of the best episode of the whole franchise.
Nov 16, 2019 2:57 PM

Nov 2017
Amazing episode!

The animation is CRAZY and the fighting is intense!

Dakira is too strong in repelling the giant leader and protecting Fanatio!
ElyshionDec 13, 2019 2:53 PM
Nov 16, 2019 3:51 PM

Mar 2019
The music kept reminding me about Fate Zero and UBW.
Nov 16, 2019 3:57 PM

Apr 2015
Great episode!

War is always a terrible thing and the knights don't have it easy here. It has only just started and they are already in trouble (Heck one Integrity Knight actually ran away from the battlefield).

Dakira sacrificed herself to save Fanatio, her death was sad, but I can't help but feel that her death was a bit meaningless. After reading some comments here, it makes sense why I felt like that.

Animation was great, I really loved how they animated the arrows that were being fired by Deusolbert. A little bit of CGI with the soldiers and goblins fighting each other, but that actually felt like cut and paste.

Can't wait for next week!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

262 by ____panda____ »»
May 22, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.