Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Anyone feel like the Dino x Maika age difference makes it hard for you to enjoy the show?

New
How do you feel about the age difference between Maika and Dino?
I particularly like that aspect
6.4%
I'm fine with the age difference
42.4%
I don't like it but it's tolerable
34.1%
It's actively hard to watch these parts
17.2%
1,206 votes
Dec 2, 2017 11:56 AM

Nov 2017
This kind of has to do with both the show and my own personal issues. I think the show is good and all the aspects of it are enjoyable except for one. The Dino and Maika subplot and more significantly the age difference between them. Maika is 16 and Dino is 26. I don't know about you guys but this kind of takes me out of the show.

When I should be enjoying the characters, that are fun, whenever Dino is doing something somewhat romantic with Maika, I can only think of how creepy it is and it is really hard to enjoy that specific subplot. The way the show handles it is especially weird because Maika's high school friends and family aren't only ok with it but kinda support it, and the other cafe workers sometimes wingman for Dino. So, for a while I thought this was some weird version of the world where teenagers dating people in their 20's was just a normal thing. But at the same time, Dino gets arrested one episode for being creepy with a minor or something which leads me to believe that this is illegal in this world, which makes it worse.

I know people are gonna say "who cares if its fictional" but its hard for me not to get "older superior tries to get with a high school worker" vibes even if they make Dino out to be kind of pathetic. Anyone else feel the same or have differing thoughts about this.
(Translator's Note: "nico nico nii" means "SHINY DAYS in My Pocket")

nico nico nii.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 2, 2017 12:04 PM

Sep 2014
I'm more of a Kaho x Akizuki ship, and they're only 4 years apart, so other parts of the show are dead to me.
Dec 2, 2017 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly, I didn't know that he is 26...

I thought he was 18 this whole time. :/

I used to ship them, but now I'm not sure...
Dec 2, 2017 3:00 PM
Nov 2017
AmMar-Sama said:
They are not officially together yet (even thought the subplot & hints are there), but what's so bad about adults dating teenagers anyway..? I don't really see the problem tbh. It's not like their age difference is *that* huge, so I'm okay with it.

Also, this is off-topic but these two kinda remind me of Ririchiyo & Miketsukami from Inu x Boku SS. The similarities are striking; I bet it was done on purpose.
10 years how is that not Huge in America that would be just not illegal
Dec 2, 2017 3:25 PM

Jul 2014
I don't like it but it's tolerable .
Im more into Kaho X Akizuki myself and never paid that much attention with the Maika X Dino ship, while it is all over our face I dont give it much thought.
Dec 2, 2017 5:37 PM
Feb 2013
I don't care much about age difference and I don't take anything too seriously in the anime adapt from 4 koma.
Maika and Dino aren't couple to begin with, it just one side crush from Dino and I think their relationship will be like this till the end.
Dec 2, 2017 5:43 PM

Jul 2017
The age difference doesn't bother me so much as the difference in height between male and female characters, Maika looks to be like three feet tall.
Dec 2, 2017 7:06 PM
Aug 2015
So, my higschool was wierd because most of the girl i now ther used to date guys whit at least 22 years old while they had 15/16? one was praoud for date a guy of 37 years

For my is normal, but in Japan i allways thing is iligal date whit minor
Dec 2, 2017 7:54 PM

Apr 2011
That's okay. I mean Its normal to date at her age. She and Dino aren't too far apart.
Dec 2, 2017 8:25 PM

Jul 2017
It bothers me, not gonna lie. But they're so cute together ahhh..

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Dec 2, 2017 8:30 PM

Oct 2015
Their relationship leans more on the comedic side than a romantic one which honestly doesn't feel irrititating whatsoever
Dec 2, 2017 9:29 PM

Jul 2013
I get more of a sempai x kouhai jive with these two. But beach episode did kinda show that it was more to it than that but I don't know yet.

Dec 2, 2017 9:51 PM

Jun 2014
peh-soh-nah said:
This kind of has to do with both the show and my own personal issues. I think the show is good and all the aspects of it are enjoyable except for one. The Dino and Maika subplot and more significantly the age difference between them. Maika is 16 and Dino is 26. I don't know about you guys but this kind of takes me out of the show.

When I should be enjoying the characters, that are fun, whenever Dino is doing something somewhat romantic with Maika, I can only think of how creepy it is and it is really hard to enjoy that specific subplot. The way the show handles it is especially weird because Maika's high school friends and family aren't only ok with it but kinda support it, and the other cafe workers sometimes wingman for Dino. So, for a while I thought this was some weird version of the world where teenagers dating people in their 20's was just a normal thing. But at the same time, Dino gets arrested one episode for being creepy with a minor or something which leads me to believe that this is illegal in this world, which makes it worse.

I know people are gonna say "who cares if its fictional" but its hard for me not to get "older superior tries to get with a high school worker" vibes even if they make Dino out to be kind of pathetic. Anyone else feel the same or have differing thoughts about this.

Welcome to anime.

You'll get used to stuff like this in no time. Either that or you will eventually move on from anime. Anyway, I don't think its that bad and its not like he's going to grope her up. Its done for comedic effect and there is much worse out there. Just learn not to sweat the small stuff.
Dec 2, 2017 9:53 PM

Apr 2009
There certainly can be a problem... if this show was even a bit of serious.

However, the show itself is incredibly not so, and the relationship just doesn't look like a romantic one at all. More like the dumb manager having a silly crush on her, while innocent Maika does like him but only in a "sempai x kouhai" way, as KamenRiderMagna said. Well, at least, that's how I see it.

Judging from how this show has played out so far, I doubt it'll actually get anywhere to raise any red flag. My guess is that it'll just stay as one of the comedic routine even into the last episode.
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Dec 2, 2017 9:56 PM

Jun 2014
mounferno said:
AmMar-Sama said:
They are not officially together yet (even thought the subplot & hints are there), but what's so bad about adults dating teenagers anyway..? I don't really see the problem tbh. It's not like their age difference is *that* huge, so I'm okay with it.

Also, this is off-topic but these two kinda remind me of Ririchiyo & Miketsukami from Inu x Boku SS. The similarities are striking; I bet it was done on purpose.

Why are we bringing up America in an anime not set in America, but Japan?
Dec 3, 2017 12:25 AM
Nov 2017
Kagami said:
mounferno said:

in Japan its ilegal Have i crushed your dreams
Dec 3, 2017 12:43 AM

Jun 2014
mounferno said:
Kagami said:

What has he done illegal?
Dec 3, 2017 3:11 AM
Nov 2017
Kagami said:
mounferno said:
What has he done illegal?
Its just cringy i want it to stop
Dec 3, 2017 4:02 AM

Nov 2017
Firemimi said:
Honestly, I didn't know that he is 26...

I thought he was 18 this whole time. :/

I used to ship them, but now I'm not sure...

Yep same here I was totally behind it thinking he was perhaps even 19, but 26??? had no idea till I saw it last night and tbh it really made me sad and ill knock a point off the series for it minimum.

Such a shame as theres no need for him to be over ten years older, 19 would have been fine, although pushing it even then.

When I was 17 I went out with a guy who was 26 and I wish I never had it is no laughing matter.

I just... ugh, its really taken the shine off this series for me, and now everything is just smeared with an extra thick layer of paedophile creepiness. Not what I want from a light hearted funny show, which we need to balance out all the edgy series RN

Oh well I may drop this and give the extra point to Net ju Susume at least there is np with age there!

Irish_ChickDec 3, 2017 4:14 AM
Dec 3, 2017 4:13 AM

Nov 2017
AmMar-Sama said:
mounferno said:

Eh, I dunno. It just doesn't seem that big to me.
If they both like each other, where exactly is the issue..? Getting too caught up on a number is close-minded and silly.

*closed-minded

And sorry the ONLY ppl to say this doesn't matter are children/teens themselves and paedophiles.

Dec 3, 2017 4:29 AM

Dec 2014
I am ok with them together
Dec 3, 2017 4:38 AM

Nov 2017
AmMar-Sama said:
Irish_Chick said:

*closed-minded

And sorry the ONLY ppl to say this doesn't matter are children/teens themselves and paedophiles.

That's factually wrong, and I am proof of that since I don't fall into any of these categories.

Idk id probably consider you very young especially since I'm nearly four million years old :p

You could ofc be the exception that proves the rule! However there is naturally a bloody good reason why there are LAWS against this kind of relationship
Dec 3, 2017 6:35 AM

Jun 2016
I'm fine with the age difference. I think I just found out last week that Dino is 26 and Maika is 16, and me shipping them two didn't change one bit. 10-year gap ain't a big deal in the West, tbh, and even in Asia. Jesus. It's 2017, people. Let people love who they love.

*waits for someone to call me a pedophilia advocate* Fuck off.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Dec 3, 2017 7:06 AM

Jan 2008
The age of consent in Japan is 16 as far as I remember.
*looks at Maika's page*

Funny too since I started reading Takane to Hana which has the exact same ages for the male and female leads.
Dec 3, 2017 7:08 AM

Mar 2014
It does make me uncomfortable if I contemplate the age difference in real life but not to the point of it hindering my enjoyment. Their relationship leans more on the comedic rather than the romantic side.The show is a comedy and it's self-aware of this age difference. And it's not like Dino is sexually harassing her
Dec 3, 2017 7:58 AM

Nov 2016
That part is more for Comedy. The Show is not meant to be a Romance either so why care??
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2017 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
Probably half the girls in my year when I was 16 were going out with guys in their 20's.
Doesn't bother me one bit, don't think it's morally wrong either. Even if they had a sexual relationship it wouldn't bother me.
Dec 3, 2017 11:20 AM

Nov 2017
The age of consent in Japan is 13. As weird as it is, there's no illegal law to it unless there's sexual activities being involved. I do find it a bit uncomfortable though. But hey, I'm no sjw lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 3, 2017 11:37 AM

Jul 2015
The_Maenades said:
The age difference doesn't bother me so much as the difference in height between male and female characters, Maika looks to be like three feet tall.

Yeah I don't mind age gaps at all but that height difference is just not normal.
Dec 3, 2017 3:43 PM

Jun 2014
Irish_Chick said:
AmMar-Sama said:

Eh, I dunno. It just doesn't seem that big to me.
If they both like each other, where exactly is the issue..? Getting too caught up on a number is close-minded and silly.

*closed-minded

I hope you're joking.

Some people here are acting as he's groping her up and slamming his d into her. This has been a really tame anime despite this "taboo". I used " " because he hasn't even done anything to her.
Dec 3, 2017 4:40 PM
Aug 2011
For me it's not so much the age difference, but the fact that she's still a teenager.

If she was 26 and him 36 I would not have a single problem with it, they are both adults and can take decisions by themselves. On the other hand, no matter how much they paint teenagers as responsible, they are still easily influenced, and that is what makes it disturbing for me.
Dec 3, 2017 4:45 PM
Jan 2016
I'm more or less fine with the age difference. I suppose I'm just waiting for Maika to be older so the gap wouldn't seem as serious? Like for the relationship to take off much later
Dec 4, 2017 1:07 AM

May 2010
Tbh I dig age gaps though ye really depends on the parties involved. If they can work out fine then no harm.
Dino x Maika is fiiine.
Dec 4, 2017 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
I'd like to bring up another point. Here in the UK we leave school at 16. Some go on to do A-levels and Uni, but a lot of us just go straight into the working world.

I think "Highschool girl" bit is where most of this discomfort comes from. Over here she could well be a full-time employee somewhere and not a student.
Dec 4, 2017 11:06 AM

Sep 2008
I see no problem there
~_~ !
Dec 4, 2017 11:32 AM

May 2012
I don't see any problem (not just an anime, but even in real life) as long it is consensual

I hate this anime for another reason, and that is because it is boring and the comedy is not funny (i only watched 1 episode though).
Dec 4, 2017 5:09 PM
Jul 2015
Eh. You could always assume she is 18 and then feel better.
Dec 4, 2017 5:38 PM

Oct 2015
yeah, it's bother me sometimes but they totally cute ship ahhh. Tho I still prefer Kaho x AKizuki ship.
Dec 4, 2017 5:57 PM
Jul 2018
EHH, not really. For one of few reasons:

1. Age difference for me doesn't matter as long as the series doesn't make me feel cringy about it.

2. That type of chemistry is more so for comedic purpose rather than legit being a romance.

3. Even if it is romantic, that's going to be treated as a sub-plot element, meaning that it doesn't hold a lot of big importance compared to the comedic effect (aka the comedy being the main focus of the show).
Dec 9, 2017 12:01 PM

Dec 2011
It doesn't bother as me due to I see a bunch of people around Maika's age dating people in their 20s.
Dec 10, 2017 6:19 AM

Feb 2010
I never really cared too much for the age difference since I never thought about the difference. When it comes to these two, the chemistry between for comedic purposes is great. It's never deterred me from watching either.
Dec 10, 2017 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
I know what you mean, it makes me kinda uncomfortable mostly because when I was a teen I really disliked adults trying to flirt with me. Ten years is a big difference when one of the parts is a teenager.

In this case I try to think "it's just an anime, it's funny, there's worse out there".
Baby, daijobanai...
Dec 11, 2017 7:19 AM

Jul 2014
Nope, never really cared about age difference and I won't stop shipping them nor stop enjoying the anime.
Dec 11, 2017 7:54 AM
Feb 2017
Elegade said:
I'm more of a Kaho x Akizuki ship, and they're only 4 years apart, so other parts of the show are dead to me.

Yeah I am to. To me they are the best couple in the show.
Dec 11, 2017 8:12 AM

Apr 2014
who cares lol 10 yrs arent that much
Dec 13, 2017 10:34 AM
Dec 2017
For me, it's not the age difference, but the fact that Dino is 26 is Maika is 16. If she were at least 18, I'd be a bit more fine with it. If I remember correctly, Japan's age of consent is 13, so in their eyes it's okay.

I honestly didn't even bother to watch the anime because of this. I've already been in a situation, with a different fandom, where something I shipped was accused of being pedophilic, even though it wasn't. I feel like if I watched it, I'd ship it, then I'd end up trying to defend a ship that has actual problems (in America's pov).
xxJinxDec 13, 2017 10:47 AM
Dec 13, 2017 6:33 PM

Aug 2013
Doesn't really bother me. My parents are almost 10 years apart. 8-9 I think. And they're both in their 50s-60's now. So I think it's more hypocritical to say it's weird if they were in high school when its completely socially acceptable now. So my dad would've been 16-17 in high school when my mom would've been like 24-25.

Can it be weird? Yea maybe a little. I definitely think there are a lot of factors. The exact ages and what should socially be acceptable as the limit. Is a 16 year old with a 26 year old ok? If so, how about a 15 year old and a 32 year old? Then of course it depends on the individuals themselves (if the older person is genuine or a fucking creep). Then factor in age laws and how intimate they are with each other.
Dec 19, 2017 2:00 AM

May 2017
Age difference was never a problem, they're just both really boring, generic and forced
Dec 22, 2017 7:34 PM
Jul 2018
Just imagine if the last episode is about the FBI raiding the cafe.

On-topic, I didn't pay much attention to the age difference. I just watched the damn show.
Dec 22, 2017 11:30 PM
Jun 2015
yooo I knew he was older but fucking 26? That is *disturbing* for sure. And I really don't understand the people here saying "its not a big deal" or age difference isn't much.

first of all, 10 years IS a big difference, but most importantly, 16 years is not even an adult yo. It's not even ethically wrong but morally as well.

Being a 21 year old right now, I *still* don't find it in me to go for 17 year old girls.

That being said, it's just an anime and it's funny so ehh I'm not gonna stop but it'll certainly make my future experience of the show, different, to say the least.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blend S Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

169 by Rudyanto13 »»
Mar 12, 12:34 AM

Poll: » Blend S Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

189 by kermitpoke »»
Dec 19, 2023 11:34 AM

Poll: » Blend S Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

70 by nanajp »»
Nov 30, 2023 6:46 PM

Poll: » Blend S Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

103 by nanajp »»

Poll: » Blend S Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

79 by nanajp »»
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.