Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 18, 2017 4:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think this episode had better music than some of the other episodes.

In terms of setting, we see a place that's filled with snow and to me, it's like a frozen wasteland. Good world fiction. For Phos, it's like the show is trying to build more to her character.

I have to admit, this episode did its job at making the world setting look unque.
Nov 18, 2017 5:07 AM

Nov 2014
It's out? Damn, I can't wait.
Nov 18, 2017 6:12 AM
Aug 2017
i love seeing antarc's relationship with sensei animated...like finally sweet child. he is a precious lad.

and i really love the music and scenery in this episode!
AND THE SOUND
damn i love it
Nov 18, 2017 9:40 AM
Jun 2011
as I expected this thing with phos change will happen in episode 8
Nov 18, 2017 11:59 AM

Jun 2015
This was a snowy episode. It's good to see Amethyst are okay. Antarcticite and Phos are paired up to take care of everyone while they hibernate. Their outfits look pretty and cozy. Phos fell into the icy water and lost her arms, but Antarcticite saved her in time.
Nov 18, 2017 12:14 PM
Dec 2015
Finally! Best gem Antarcticite is here!
The soundtrack was definitely more prominent in this episode which really helped establish the mood. I also like how they integrated the Omake from volume 3 of the manga into this episode.

As for next episode.....
Nov 18, 2017 12:14 PM
Oct 2017
Ha, next episode is something to look forward to !
Scary that the icy things would voice your anxieties, how are you supposed to work under these circumstances.
Medic-san is off service, will Phos stay un-armed til spring ? :o
Nov 18, 2017 12:27 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Antarcticite is really cute, you know she's feeling alone and wants to be with other gems but she can't unfortunately so she only has Sensei xD

Speaking of him, breaking walls while falling into sleep is something else xD

So the ''sinners'' are talking to Phos, we get more and more worldbuilding bits, i hope it'll eventually all come together.
Nov 18, 2017 12:48 PM

Jul 2015
I went from laughing hard through the whole episode (epic training arc) to spooked af near the end, well, now Phos doesn't have arms neither.
Nov 18, 2017 12:50 PM

May 2012
I agree with fashion gem, everybody is so beautiful in those dresses. Also cover them with blankets xD
Phos loosing her arms this time. It's really not that impactful when it's happening so close to her loosing her legs. Probably will take some precious memories though this time.

Looking forward to next episode as always. Who's gonna fix her up and what's up with the ghostly whispers?
beep
Nov 18, 2017 12:53 PM

Apr 2017
I think my favorite episode so far! Can't wait for next week. I hope Phos will end up growing stronger by the end.
Nov 18, 2017 1:10 PM

Dec 2016
So now Phos has a long winter of pretty much loneliness (save for Antarcticite, Sensei, and possibly Cinnabar) so hopefully with this time she can grow stronger and more confident with her skills.

Also I love the new snowy and icy landscape!!!

But then she just goes and loses her arms! Gaahhhdamn!!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Nov 18, 2017 1:17 PM

Sep 2013
Winter hibernation but phos stays and antarcticite is with her.
Breaking off the icebergs that reflect you anxieties, phos gets through it but falls in anyways :(
Nov 18, 2017 1:23 PM

Apr 2014
i cant wait for next ep
Nov 18, 2017 1:53 PM

Nov 2017
imho Phos is one of the best naive characters I've ever seen, definitely the gem of this season
Nov 18, 2017 2:05 PM

Dec 2016
I am glad those 2 are alright, would have taken quite a bit of work to put them back together.

Diamond definitely looked the best in that dress.

While Phos has good legs now the rest of her body isn't very good.

Free hugs with Sensei.

That surprised me when the ice was talking.

Oh no Phos in trouble again, Antarcticite was really worried about the arms, hopefully they can be repaired, or maybe new material will go on them and make them better just like the legs.
Nov 18, 2017 2:05 PM

Feb 2011
Two things did stand out to me, aside the main comedy and drama at the end:
1) they were moving into snow while wearing light clothes, they really have no sense of temperature
2) the sea froze, is their island close to one of the poles? Or did the earth's temperature change?

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 18, 2017 2:15 PM

Aug 2013
I wonder what memories were in Phos's arms...
Nov 18, 2017 2:23 PM
Sep 2017
Zeando said:

2) the sea froze, is their island close to one of the poles? Or did the earth's temperature change?

The whole world except for the place they live is underwater. The Earth was struck by six meteorites and is royally screwed.
Nov 18, 2017 2:50 PM

Nov 2014
Another misery upon Phos. Yes, another piece of her memory lost.
Antarcticite is okay being alone. Why isn't Cinnabar? It's sad to see Cinnabar hibernates by herself.
Nov 18, 2017 2:56 PM
Oct 2011
Fraq12 said:
imho Phos is one of the best naive characters I've ever seen, definitely the gem of this season

Well yeah, it is Kumiko after all.
Nov 18, 2017 2:59 PM

Sep 2011
Wow, that suddenly got creepy af O_O Love this show, I can't wait to see what happens next, and I kinda doubt we'll get it this season but I'm hyped to learn what the hidden truth of this world is :o (No spoilers though, gotta see for myself or it's no good)
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Nov 18, 2017 3:16 PM

Sep 2017
Now, this episode presents a great crossroad to Phos. Does she give up her arms to become stronger, or does she keep them and the memories that they contain?

The talking ice was creepy AF, and it looks like the lunarians will appear next week. Can't wait.
Nov 18, 2017 3:38 PM

Jan 2014
Creepy creepy creepy, yet I can't help but feel curious about the ice. This was a really good episode. I only wish more people were watching this show.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 18, 2017 3:38 PM

Jan 2014
Zeando said:
Two things did stand out to me, aside the main comedy and drama at the end:
1) they were moving into snow while wearing light clothes, they really have no sense of temperature

Well it's a fantasy. I guess anything goes in a fantasy lol

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 18, 2017 3:55 PM
Mar 2017

-
What beautiful hairs!

-
The Gem that is sitting, is seeing the ass to the Gem Tsundere Seiyuu

-
crawling haha
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Nov 18, 2017 4:41 PM

Aug 2014
I need a Sleeping with Dia spinoff, thanks.
Sieg Zeon!
Nov 18, 2017 4:43 PM

Nov 2014
Nicely adapted. They totally captured the creepiness of the ice at the end. Looks like "that" happens next week. I can't wait!
Nov 18, 2017 5:15 PM

Nov 2012
This show is the hidden gem of the season. In the beginning I wasn't so sure about that, but it soon it changed.

This episode made me come here and leave some thoughts behind.
The scenery, even though I love snow, the atmosphere it had was creepy to the bone. At first I didn't think much about those talking ice bergs, but towards the end, damn get them away from me.

The hibernation part is quite funny, but them dressed up like some dolls gives crept me out a bit and Bort sleepwalking looks like it she is haunted.
Nov 18, 2017 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
I hope Phos can do well since she lost her arms right now. Of course we already know that part of her memory is lost because of that. Great snowy episode (ironically it was cold when I watched this so Lol).
Nov 18, 2017 8:27 PM

Sep 2016
Amazing episode as always but I have one thing I'm confused about... Antarcticite, a mineral like everyone else, doesn't get sleepy like the rest does when there is little to no light, why is this? Am I missing something? Antarcticite said to Phos "it takes getting used to". So in other words she just needed to train to get used to waking up when there is no light. So if this applies to the rest of the minerals, why don't they just "train" and be able to be awake 24/7? And since the Lunarians only appears during the day, I guess they could use the night time to do something else? Like exploring or doing their daily errands/chores. Or am I mistaken?

Also this thing:

What is it? A portable light source?
Nov 18, 2017 8:42 PM

Jun 2015
I begin to feel sorry for Phos.
How much will it have change to help Cinnabar? Like a metamorphosis, it's losing to herself
Nov 18, 2017 9:06 PM

Apr 2009
This show just gets better and better. I like the new gem. She's super cool, despite having to work alone during the whole winter.

Poor Phos... hopefully losing her arms is the last of the... improvements that she'll receive (c'mon, we all can see that she's gonna get some kind of better arms). Or what would be next? Her... head?? O_O
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Nov 18, 2017 11:48 PM

Jun 2008
They all looked like grade A waifu in their white dresses for hibernation. All kawaii as heck❤

I love the world building and introduction to a new intriguing character. I really hope Phos will get more positive surprises in her life soon. :'(
Nov 19, 2017 2:47 AM
Nov 2017
Raipaz said:

Also this thing:

Most likely a jellyfish like the ones they used when searching the sea.
Nov 19, 2017 4:36 AM

Nov 2017
Smudy said:

So the ''sinners'' are talking to Phos, we get more and more worldbuilding bits, i hope it'll eventually all come together.

I am pretty sure worldbuilding is my issue with this series as a whole, it feels empty, afaik even in the current manga this world building hasnt really developed
much further.

It just feels like apart from literally one or two cool ideas theres not enough world to hold the series up.

Under pressure from some utube comments, lol, I forced myself to watch this series and I hated it at the start. I am only able to watch it now as I looked up spoilers for the series, tried to read the manga but I am not a huge manga fan (mangas feel like a tease to me - id much rather have a big fat novel lol).

So understanding the kind of tone and knowing what to expect in future ep's I kept watching, I loved last weeks episode and smiled at this weeks. While I will watch to the end this is in no way an AOTS for me, I feel it just lacks atmostphere and the richness seen in other animes, like made in abyss for example
Nov 19, 2017 5:47 AM

Feb 2011
Raipaz said:
Amazing episode as always but I have one thing I'm confused about... Antarcticite, a mineral like everyone else, doesn't get sleepy like the rest does when there is little to no light, why is this? Am I missing something? Antarcticite said to Phos "it takes getting used to". So in other words she just needed to train to get used to waking up when there is no light. So if this applies to the rest of the minerals, why don't they just "train" and be able to be awake 24/7? And since the Lunarians only appears during the day, I guess they could use the night time to do something else? Like exploring or doing their daily errands/chores. Or am I mistaken?

Also this thing:

The gems get their energy to live from sunlight.
It's possible Antarcticite can move during winter because they spent the whole year resting and absorbing light, so they have a bigger reserve of accumulated energy to use. While the other gems are active during all the year, so they don't have any stored energy.

The image should be a basin with a glowing jellyfish inside. The same jellyfishes they used while looking for Phos in the ocean.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Nov 19, 2017 5:51 AM

Jun 2015
Just thought of something. Wouldn't it be cool if they changed Phos' legs in the OP?

The OST was great in this episode

Also...

Nov 19, 2017 6:43 AM

Feb 2016
Oh my god, this episode was just perfect...
The music and the background are amazing, i'm seriously impressed...
Nov 19, 2017 7:05 AM
Oct 2017
Irish_Chick said:
Smudy said:

I am pretty sure worldbuilding is my issue with this series as a whole, it feels empty, afaik even in the current manga this world building hasnt really developed
much further.

It just feels like apart from literally one or two cool ideas theres not enough world to hold the series up.

Under pressure from some utube comments, lol, I forced myself to watch this series and I hated it at the start. I am only able to watch it now as I looked up spoilers for the series, tried to read the manga but I am not a huge manga fan (mangas feel like a tease to me - id much rather have a big fat novel lol).

So understanding the kind of tone and knowing what to expect in future ep's I kept watching, I loved last weeks episode and smiled at this weeks. While I will watch to the end this is in no way an AOTS for me, I feel it just lacks atmostphere and the richness seen in other animes, like made in abyss for example

There seems to be a lot of people that still don't "get it". It's interesting how when people don't know about the references they just assume it's "empty".
NielloNov 19, 2017 7:10 AM
Nov 19, 2017 7:44 AM
Sep 2016
Glad this is finally getting to the point where it really captured my interest and what I wanted to see animated. The starting stories are cute and the setting is interesting and laying foundation for future plots but it didn't click with me till the winter arc. The anime is impressive visually but still doesn't hold a candle to the manga's style imo. Antarc's white/silver hair and voice kept reminding me of Killua, lo and behold he got the same voice actor as him so no wonder.
Nov 19, 2017 8:29 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Pho's weakness almost resulted in the loss of Amethyst to the luna's. Good thing Sensei and Bort arrived in time though. So the gems do need to hibernate for periods of time then that's surprising. So in Winter the majority of the gems will be in hibernation then. They sure have some elaborate outfits they wear during that period though. So the yearly tradition for Antarticite is a hug then. I guess Pho's has been asleep enough already though. Well i guess the cold of winter will offer here plenty of training opportunities though. The landscape sure is different when its frozen and covered with snow. The sound that the ice flows make sure was eerie though. Being with Antarticite really is a experience for Phos though. If Phos's arms were as durable as her legs then she be more effective. These ice flows though sure are mysterious. But losing her arms as a result was unexpected. Im curious to see what happens next.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 19, 2017 10:18 AM

Nov 2011
I did not expect to see what I saw in this episode. Not a lot of Phos, it will become Phos composite. After that twist in the final, I can not help thinking of who is hiding in the sea. Next episode please!
terrablu2003Nov 19, 2017 12:01 PM
Nov 19, 2017 10:36 AM

Nov 2017
terrablu2003 said:
I did not expect to see what I saw in this epic. Not a lot of Phos, it will become Phos composite. After that twist in the final, I can not help thinking of who is hiding in the sea. Next episode please!

Nobody. As they explained in the episode, it's the ice, a crystallized form of water. In this show crystals are alive and ice is not an exception.
Nov 19, 2017 11:46 AM

Jan 2011
damn good episode ,not sure what to expect of phos once everyone wakes up though D:
Nov 19, 2017 12:00 PM

Nov 2011
mruize85 said:
terrablu2003 said:
I did not expect to see what I saw in this epic. Not a lot of Phos, it will become Phos composite. After that twist in the final, I can not help thinking of who is hiding in the sea. Next episode please!

Nobody. As they explained in the episode, it's the ice, a crystallized form of water. In this show crystals are alive and ice is not an exception.

Thank you for taking away any doubt.
Nov 19, 2017 12:12 PM

Mar 2017
Zeando said:

No there's plant and all in summer, so I think not. I think the harsh winter is caused because the Earth in HnK timeline is tilted more than it is now, a consequence from 6th meteroid collision.

Raipaz said:

They needs to rest, working in the day exhausts them. And moreover, I think they don't need to anyway. No matter what, they don't die (being taken to the Moon is the closest thing they have as dying). They have all the time in the world, literally. So no purpose, no aim, nothing. The Lunarians don't appear everyday, they can't do their daily work on those days that the enemies don't show up (just like in ep6)
English is not my native language. Sorry for my poor choice of words and crappy grammar.
Nov 19, 2017 12:25 PM

Nov 2017
terrablu2003 said:
mruize85 said:

Thank you for taking away any doubt.

Just mention that I didn't spoiled any information.

As they have said, ice is not intelligent, but only echoes the wishes and feelings of the listener. As has been shown, Phos had the temptation to cut his arms in hopes of getting better ones, so ice "offered its help".
Nov 19, 2017 12:31 PM
Jul 2016
Stark700 said:

----------------------------------------
I think this episode had better music than some of the other episodes.

Maybe you are right, but in my view it is the simple set up that allows the music to shine in episode 7 (winter scenery, Phos and Antarcticite alone...). The music was fabulous from the get go, I remember that I found it very catchy in the trailers, and in episode 6 the music was also great, mostly during the Amethysts fight. You can tell that they put a lot of care in the composition of images+music, it's a delight to watch.

Niello said:

There seems to be a lot of people that still don't "get it". It's interesting how when people don't know about the references they just assume it's "empty".

It seems that this anime is the type of product that is not for everyone. Some are loving it, some do not get it at all. I find it funny how different reactions it is getting.

I liked this episode but it felt too short, haha!! Just when things started to get really interesting, we are robbed of the continuation of the story. Can't wait to see what happens next week...although I have spoiled myself involuntarily in Tumblr while surfing the Houseki no kuni tag (the manga stills are uploaded there and they give away a lot of info...be careful if you don't want to get spoiled!).
AppelsinNov 19, 2017 12:41 PM
Nov 19, 2017 12:35 PM

Feb 2011
janadestiny said:
Zeando said:

No there's plant and all in summer, so I think not. I think the harsh winter is caused because the Earth in HnK timeline is tilted more than it is now, a consequence from 6th meteroid collision.

That's a good explanation.
It was looking strange since if the whole surface is covered by water it should have meant the planet temperature is higher(=the poles are melted). But if the rotation axis has moved too it could make more sense.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

317 by ShadowkillZ »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

211 by Lucas_Gomes7914 »»
May 22, 7:21 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

114 by ViSpace »»
May 21, 12:52 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

161 by ViSpace »»
May 20, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

171 by ViSpace »»
May 20, 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.