Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2017 3:12 AM

Jun 2016
Can someone please explain me why this anime is looked so highly upon ? I've been told as long as i've been watching anime that this is one of the greatest and so epic that you must see it.

CasperSep 20, 2017 3:15 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 20, 2017 3:13 AM

Jun 2016
You must've mistaken the anime for the manga.
Sep 20, 2017 3:14 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
guy has big sword, guy goes smash with it

Sep 20, 2017 3:14 AM

Feb 2013
haha lmau yes its shonenshit for edgy people
imagine someone watching bertserk right after naruto in 2006 then they will give it high rating

bar that, you can read the reviews.. it has a full house of 10s
Sep 20, 2017 3:16 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's the manga that is considered the "best ever", not the anime. As for why, well it eventually becomes this sort of twisted living hell with simply unbelievable art work and some quite spectacular worldbuilding

That said, story-wise I agree that I've never really seen what's supposedly so great about it. I mean it's fine but nothing to write home about. Not that the endless hiatuses help that feeling either
Sep 20, 2017 3:16 AM

Aug 2017
Huh? There's great character development from start to finish.

I can't think of many anime with better char development or depth. But the manga is were the real greatness is at, of course.
Sep 20, 2017 3:20 AM

Jan 2013
If you can't see any character developement in Berserk then I don't think any explanations will help you understand the appeal of the anime.
Sep 20, 2017 3:20 AM

Jun 2016
deadprez said:
Huh? There's great character development from start to finish.

I can't think of many anime with better char development or depth. But the manga is were the real greatness is at, of course.
Are you trolling me ? Is this the only anime u seen ?
Sep 20, 2017 3:22 AM

Aug 2017
Casper said:

I was wondering if you were trolling or if you had only seen the movies or the new anime...

Not seeing char development in 1997 Berserk is like not seeing anything sad happen in Grave of the Fireflies...
Sep 20, 2017 3:23 AM

Apr 2016
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=edgy

Also what is this ? that someone with Re: Zero in favorites is questioning Berserk quality ? What a joke.
SwagernatorSep 20, 2017 3:27 AM
Sep 20, 2017 3:23 AM

Jun 2016
fuyuki said:
If you can't see any character developement in Berserk then I don't think any explanations will help you understand the appeal of the anime.

deadprez said:
Casper said:

I was wondering if you were trolling or if you had only seen the movies or the new anime...

Not seeing char development in 1997 Berserk is like not seeing anything sad happen in Grave of the Fireflies...

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
AlfyanSep 21, 2017 2:08 PM
Sep 20, 2017 3:27 AM

Jan 2013
Casper said:
fuyuki said:
Why are putting words in my mouth and attacking people here though? Seems like you're just frustrated because people liked something you didn't. The fact that the anime wasn't for you isn't my problem, honestly.
Sep 20, 2017 3:30 AM

Jun 2016
fuyuki said:
Casper said:
Why are putting words in my mouth and attacking people here though? Seems like you're just frustrated because people liked something you didn't. The fact that the anime wasn't for you isn't my problem, honestly.
I'm not putting words in your mouth, i'm saying that because there is nothing else even remotely related to character progression in that anime.
Sep 20, 2017 3:34 AM

Nov 2016
You gave it a 7/10 so you must have still enjoyed it at least. Hell you even gave it a higher score than Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (did you even watch Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?)
Sep 20, 2017 3:36 AM

Jan 2009
Casper said:
fuyuki said:

Well what about Guts going from a loner that only cares about himself, to a guy that actually cares about his comrades?
Or Casca growing up and realising that what she feels for Griff is actually idolization and not love?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Sep 20, 2017 3:36 AM

Nov 2008
Look bruh, Berserk has obviously let you down and isn't the ground breaking master piece you were crying out for, maybe you'd enjoy some Swog Fart Online or some Bog Horizon.

P.S Sakura is best girl.
BorjoyzeeSep 20, 2017 3:39 AM
Sep 20, 2017 3:38 AM

Jan 2009
Borjoyzee said:
Look bruh, Berserk has obviously let you down and isn't the ground breaking master piece you were crying out for, maybe you'd enjoy some Swog Fart Online or some Bog Horizon.

Hey don't you dare to put the glorious masterpiece that is Log Horizon on the same level as SAO

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Sep 20, 2017 3:44 AM

Jun 2016
Pixel_Vapour said:
You gave it a 7/10 so you must have still enjoyed it at least. Hell you even gave it a higher score than Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (did you even watch Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?)
Nope only saw the movie and it was average just like berserk. I rarely give under 7's and they are reserved for true dissapointments.
Sep 20, 2017 3:46 AM

Aug 2017
Casper said:

But if it didn't appeal to you it didn't appeal to you...
Sep 20, 2017 3:49 AM

Jul 2013
I also find it overrated. It's not a bad series, thus far, but it's not anything special either.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Sep 20, 2017 3:55 AM

Jan 2013
Casper said:
fuyuki said:
I'm not putting words in your mouth, i'm saying that because there is nothing else even remotely related to character progression in that anime.
Well I do feel kind of sorry for you that you couldn't see further than this but then again, you can't expect to like every well-received anime. You can either read/watch some analysis and reviews and re-watch it with an open mind to put it in some new perspective, or you can just forget about it and move on instead making a thread about it and expecting people to join the hatewagon.
Sep 20, 2017 4:07 AM

Nov 2016
Casper said:
Pixel_Vapour said:
Nope only saw the movie and it was average just like berserk. I rarely give under 7's and they are reserved for true dissapointments.

Well it goes to show that you couldn't enjoy Disappearance without watching the prequels. What were you thinking? Also a 5 score is average. 7 is good.
Sep 20, 2017 4:15 AM
Aug 2016
>talks about hype.
>rezero in favourites

XDDDDDDD
Sep 20, 2017 4:31 AM
Jan 2017
It's pretty simple.
1.Has one of the most amazing story.
2.World building is top notch.
3.Has one of the most well written character out there - Griffith.
NOTE : THIS IS REGARDING THE MANGA.
The 1997 anime ended on a massive cliffhanger which might disappoint some people, but it has amazing soundtracks which blend perfectly with the atmosphere of the anime. The manga is no doubt one of the very best because of the artwork and brilliant story.
Sep 20, 2017 4:32 AM

Dec 2012
Any Hype is for the manga since most people generally complain about the anime series instead, especially the newer ones. It's a solid 7 or 8 if you ask me for being an entertaining fantasy/action hack n' slash, not really masterpiece material. I especially don't see how people can maintain interest in the manga with such a flaky author who won't ever work on it all that often,I get enough of that with Black Lagoon and Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, but I don't read Beserk either.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Sep 20, 2017 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
Ask @Darek he was once a big Beserkfag until Jojo came along... poor soul :(

OT: This is just my opinion as an idividual that only seen the anime and as not touched the manga yet. In my opinion while the anime can be consider a bit "outdated", the series still on itself has some great character interactions and word building. That combined with a fantastic ost and a surprising ending that makes anyone wanna go read the manga is not hard to see why it is so appealing.
Sep 20, 2017 4:41 AM

Aug 2008
I read Berserk manga first before the anime. Berserk is great in Golden Age Arc but after Golden Age arc, it went downhill. We got too many uninteresting side villains like troll, Kushan etc. The tone really change after the flashback.
ZapredonSep 20, 2017 4:46 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 20, 2017 4:41 AM

Jul 2016
I can only say that berserk is not your thing, op.
Berserk has good character and story development, and I believe that berserk is still better than re: zero in that aspect.
Sep 20, 2017 4:44 AM

Mar 2016
Dont understand why your whining about those things when you have re:zero in your favourites.
Sep 20, 2017 4:53 AM

Apr 2017
You should post this in the manga discussion :)

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Sep 20, 2017 4:54 AM

Jul 2015
@Casper I'll just play along and assume that the points you mentionned in the OP are true (I disagree, especially with the bit about characters, since IMO Griffith is one of the most interesting characters in anime).

Is character development mandatory? You have Mushishi in your favs. Cowboy Bebop is another example of an anime who reveals his characters through clever narration than "development". Wasn't Casca a defenseless girl in her flashback, when she met Griffith? Wasn't Guts a loner? Berserk doesn't need to show us the past of Judeau & co, because it's obvious from what we are told that it will be similar to Casca or Guts' pasts.

Once again, is there any real obstacle in any fiction? It's up to the viewer to decide if the main character was indeed in danger or not, but it's quite a given that he or she can't die before the end. From what I remember, while Guts combats prowess are incredible, the rest is all more or less believable with most charcters getting hurt but more importantly facing cruel dilemmas.

The bit about gore. You haven't seen gore in anime. I wish people could stop with "Berserk/Elfen Lied is gore". It's not even a quarter as gore as what came out in OVA during the 80's.

@Zapredon Berserk looks boring as fuck after the Golden Age. I'm not picking up that stupiudly long manga anytime soon.
Sep 20, 2017 5:00 AM

Aug 2008
Clebardman said:

@Zapredon Berserk looks boring as fuck after the Golden Age. I'm not picking up that stupiudly long manga anytime soon.

To make things worse the manga will probably never got finish.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 20, 2017 5:04 AM

Apr 2017
Thought it was the other way around, the hype in the manga not the anime

Sep 20, 2017 5:48 AM

Feb 2010
"Hey guys, I decided that this anime is shit and now I'll pretend to ask for an explanation why people like it but I really just want to tell the fans that they have shit taste and are wrong and my mind is already 100% made up so joks on you people who think this is supposed to be an actual discussion."

What a pleasant, constructive thread we've got here.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 20, 2017 5:49 AM

Apr 2015
It's shounen with an adult protagonist that looks GAR, and is super edgy. Combine all of that with nostalgia for the mid-to-late 1990's, and you've got yourself a winner in the over-rated department.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 20, 2017 5:55 AM

Apr 2017
You don't watch Berserk, You read it..

>The series is quite MEDIOCRE THO

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Sep 20, 2017 5:57 AM

Mar 2017
Oh you poor poor soul. How dare you dislike one of the most universally loved franchise and have a mainstream non-critically acclaimed anime on your favorites. You're not a very smart man. AD is going to have a field day with you.

Best of luck.

You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 20, 2017 5:57 AM

Mar 2016
Casper said:
Can someone please explain me why this anime is looked so highly upon ?

It has a brilliant source and soundtrack. It also manages to fuck both of them, so I don't know.
Sep 20, 2017 6:09 AM

Apr 2015
zodd0 said:

Berserk? Shounen?

I'm sorry. 'Seinen'. Let's totally ignore the fact that the difference between Shounen and Seinen is based on only one point, and that's the age-range that the magazine is aimed for. Assuming that because a work is aimed for an older audience, it's going to be a good work.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Sep 20, 2017 6:14 AM

Nov 2016
You're only mentionning the anime here but what really blows people away is the manga. But the anime is great too, I liked following a lone warrior that grew over the years to accept the mercenary group he was reluctant to join (he was even forced into it) as his family. How he lives for combat but tries to understand himself and his brothers in arms.
Sep 20, 2017 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
SeidouTZ said:
Ask @Darek he was once a big Beserkfag until Jojo came along... poor soul :(
I am still a fan, kind of, just everything after the golden age is kinda eh.

Also not answering the OP lmao, he isn't here to debate clearly.
Sep 20, 2017 6:27 AM

Mar 2014
It's actually the manga that is praised and not the anime adaptations. In any case, I think the manga was perfect up to the Lost Children Arc and then took a nose dive so I don't find it a masterpiece as a whole either.
But if we're talking about the Golden Age arc, which is basically what you watched in the anime, what I love about it is the intriguing plot, and especially the depth and development of the characters, along with the relationships between them.
Sep 20, 2017 11:44 AM

Aug 2009
I think you probly just don't like that sort of anime. Stick to slice of life and imoutos.

The 1997 anime and the manga are the only things worth going through though IMO.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Sep 20, 2017 12:00 PM

Dec 2015
- Talking about hype on Berserk
- Pic of Re:zero
Sep 20, 2017 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
If you cut out Berserk 2016 and 2017, then yes, the praise is mostly deserved although a little overrated.
Sep 20, 2017 12:46 PM

May 2012
Berserk 2016 is good and 2017 is even better if you don't care that much about animation like me. I would say Berserk 2017 was probably the 2nd best anime is last season after Attack on titan 2

Original Berserk is even better, and it is one of the best action anime I've seen. If you don't like Berserk then what are the good anime in your opinion ?

Looking at your list you seem to prefer childish action anime like Soul Eater. LOL One episode of berserk is like day and night better than all episode of this show combined.
Sep 20, 2017 12:52 PM

Nov 2014
Nor do you understand what makes a good anime/manga in that case
Sep 20, 2017 12:56 PM

Jun 2017
I'm pretty sure someone has already said this but : you should read the manga .Tell me ,what are your fav 5 animes?

Sep 20, 2017 1:01 PM

Apr 2017
Why are you bothering with answering someone with a REM profile pic?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2017 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
"Simple characters"?
"Lack of character progress"?
Did you actually watch Berserk?

Nobody watches the Golden Age Arc for the fights anyway, because that's not the focus. The focus are the characters' rise to fame, downfall, and their personnel development.

The ending is amazing because it has so much buildup to it while being shocking. By the time you get to the ending, you actually care about what happens to the Band of the Hawk, what turned Guts into a complete asshole, and why he wants to kill Grifith so badly. The emotional impact is insane, even if you know the ending.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

32 by StyxParadise »»
Jun 6, 6:57 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

182 by Dractune »»
May 12, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

990 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.