Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Barakamon
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 27, 2014 2:03 AM
Apr 2014
i started watcing this expecting something like usag drop( an anime that would give you warm and fuzzy felleing while wathcing it), but obviously its nothing like this, maybe its for a comedy? but then again, it rly isnt that funny, so i wanted to ask you what are you all seeing in this anime, for me its 6/10 anime
elemeledudkiSep 27, 2014 2:07 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 27, 2014 2:06 AM

Jun 2013
Maybe it is funny to other people?
Sep 27, 2014 2:09 AM

Oct 2008
6/10 from me as well, honestly its nothing special and it very much feels like a cheap Yotsubato! rip-off.
The main problem i have with it is that it cant decide if it wants to have a cohesive story with the whole calligraphy thing or just wants to be a laid back slice of life.
Also the whole the country side with its quirky residents is better in any possible shape or form than the city life, just makes me raise my eyebrows every single time its mentioned/implied.

Comedy is decent, but there was a much better comedy series this season (gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun ) so meh.
Sep 27, 2014 2:12 AM

Feb 2013
Because other people who aren't you obviously enjoy it.
Sep 27, 2014 4:34 AM

Sep 2014
I'm only 4 episodes in but i love the interaction between the main character and the little girl funny as hell that might be why its so loved at least one of main reasons :P
Sep 27, 2014 4:41 AM

Sep 2013
Maybe, just maybe, there are more people who like this show than people whom shares the same view as you.
Sep 27, 2014 4:53 AM

Dec 2012
nochyba said:
i started watcing this expecting something like usag drop

There's your problem.

Though there are some heart warming moments if you think about Naru's possible situation regarding her family.

I'm just glad a quirky show is getting some good attention.... I'm also glad to have been given two quirky funny shows this season
Sep 27, 2014 4:58 AM

Sep 2013
^This guy's signature tells it all.
Sep 27, 2014 4:58 AM

Feb 2013
why everything that likes to the popularity is overrated?

Sep 27, 2014 5:00 AM

Sep 2013
badwolf45f said:
why everything that likes to the popularity is overrated?

Because when a show you don't like gets popular, you start to call it overrated to justify ...anything.
Sep 27, 2014 6:59 AM

Aug 2013
Objurgo said:

I'm just glad a quirky show is getting some good attention.... I'm also glad to have been given two quirky funny shows this season

Your sig should be quotable haha.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 27, 2014 7:40 AM

Nov 2010
Maybe because we started it without expecting it will be like Usagi Drop and comparing it to Usagi Drop.
Sep 27, 2014 8:58 AM

Apr 2014
Stop comparing Barakamon to Usagi Drop ffs.
They are not the same!!
Barakamon focuses on comedy and that comedy brings those warm feelings.
Usagi Drop is a josei anime about family relationships, and the interactions between the two main characters bring the warm feelings.
Understand that, and never compare those two.
Both of them are awesome, I highly recommend them.
And no, Barakamon is not overrated, it is way better than some other shiet (no examples given, because people have different tastes) that come out.
Sep 27, 2014 9:05 AM

Jun 2014
nochyba said:
i started watcing this expecting something like usag drop( an anime that would give you warm and fuzzy felleing while wathcing it), but obviously its nothing like this, maybe its for a comedy? but then again, it rly isnt that funny, so i wanted to ask you what are you all seeing in this anime, for me its 6/10 anime
people have different taste
Sep 27, 2014 9:09 AM

Aug 2014
Is it a routine on MAL to make one of these threads for every anime that just finished airing?
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 27, 2014 9:12 AM
Mar 2013
yea I don't really understand the love for it

The story lacks focus and often switches between a slice of life and a show about calligraphy. The cast are stoic for the most part but there are some funny scenes. I find the transition from comedy to serious is handled very badly. The comedy is very childish and immature in my opinion and has gradually gotten worse. The first few episodes were decent with a "moral of the story" structure but this has seemingly disappeared in favour of a predominately episodic approach focusing on a short story with no real meaning and contribution to the over arching plot which I find a bit disappointing. There has been a noticeable increase in the sexualisation of naru which I am not a fan of and I feel it weakens the main themes of the series.

I honestly think it had a lot of potential but it has been handled badly and therefore I can only give it a 5.5/10
Sep 27, 2014 9:13 AM

Jun 2012
I don't know, to tell you tha truth.
Sep 27, 2014 9:51 AM

Jan 2014
I don't even know why some people think that this is a show about calligraphy even after watching it.
Sep 27, 2014 2:10 PM

Nov 2012
JD2411 said:
There has been a noticeable increase in the sexualisation of naru which I am not a fan of and I feel it weakens the main themes of the series.

So noticeable that absolutely nobody but you seems to have noticed, huh.
SuperRedSep 27, 2014 5:12 PM
Sep 27, 2014 2:59 PM
Jan 2014
just because you don't like it doesn't mean its overrated baka
Sep 27, 2014 3:16 PM

Dec 2013
It IS overrated but who cares.
Sep 27, 2014 3:19 PM

Sep 2012
nochyba said:

The bigger question is, why is Usagi Drop so overrated? I found this to be a lot better. From my perspective, you're the one with strangely different taste here.
;)

JD2411 said:

The story lacks focus and often switches between a slice of life and a show about calligraphy. The cast are stoic for the most part but there are some funny scenes. I find the transition from comedy to serious is handled very badly. The comedy is very childish and immature in my opinion and has gradually gotten worse. The first few episodes were decent with a "moral of the story" structure but this has seemingly disappeared in favour of a predominately episodic approach focusing on a short story with no real meaning and contribution to the over arching plot which I find a bit disappointing. There has been a noticeable increase in the sexualisation of naru which I am not a fan of and I feel it weakens the main themes of the series.

I honestly think it had a lot of potential but it has been handled badly and therefore I can only give it a 5.5/10

It's kinda funny. I could apply most of your review to a review of Clannad season 1.
Vladz0rSep 27, 2014 3:22 PM
Sep 27, 2014 3:40 PM

Aug 2009
IntroverTurtle said:
Maybe because we started it without expecting it will be like Usagi Drop and comparing it to Usagi Drop.

When you go into something expecting it to be similar to something else you will almost always end up in disappointment. Have you not learned that?
This anime is not overrated. Many people enjoy it and it does give you that "warm and fuzzy" feeling if you allow it too. Once you have expectations at all they can easily hinder your viewing experience. Now if you went into this without expecting anything at all I'm sure you would have liked it tremendously. Too bad for you though, this anime is inspirational and for you not to get any of that must be completely saddening.

Sep 27, 2014 3:46 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
There has been a noticeable increase in the sexualisation of naru which I am not a fan of and I feel it weakens the main themes of the series.

...In the show or in the fandom?
Sep 27, 2014 3:51 PM

Jul 2010
JD2411 said:

Sexualisation of Naru? Were you drunk or something when watching this? You couldn't be further off. I'm not even going to bother with your other arguments because it's hard to take them seriously.

I thought it was a great adaptation, it really captured the peaceful mood of the island and its inhabitants, the growth of Seishuu and the humour was lighthearted and funny. Overall a really soothing anime and it's a pity some people weren't able to enjoy it. But you know, opinions and all that.

Calling it overrated amuses me because I actually think this anime deserves to be more popular than it currenly is.
Sep 27, 2014 3:59 PM

Jan 2014
How do we determine if an anime is overrated?

If alot of people have a positive opinion on an anime and you disagree does that make it overrated?

I'm actually seriously curious about this since alot of people seem to judge alot of anime as "overrated".
Sep 27, 2014 4:03 PM

Jul 2010
Saikachi said:

Most people throw overrated around as soon as they dislike an anime that is generally well liked and popular. I think it convinces them their argument is more valid that way.
Sep 27, 2014 4:06 PM

Sep 2012
Okaishi said:
Saikachi said:

Most people throw overrated around as soon as they dislike an anime that is generally well liked and popular. I think it convinces them their argument is more valid that way.

Pretty much.
Another way is when your favorite show is something from several year back, and a new show of similar genre doesn't meet the exact criteria and standards they've come up with for anime, probably criteria you don't even apply to your nostalgic shows that got you into anime. If it doesn't meet your biased standards, then it's overrated shit.
Sep 27, 2014 4:06 PM
Mar 2013
@people saying there's no sexualisation of naru

maybe nsfw
Sep 27, 2014 4:09 PM

Jan 2014
Vladz0r said:
Okaishi said:

Pretty much.
Another way is when your favorite show is something from several year back, and a new show of similar genre doesn't meet the exact criteria and standards they've come up with for anime, probably criteria you don't even apply to your nostalgic shows that got you into anime. If it doesn't meet your biased standards, then it's overrated shit.

Yeah it really does seem that way, people are throwing around the words "overrated" and "underrated" way too much.
Sep 27, 2014 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
...that's not really sexualization, it's just a dirty joke. She doesn't know what it looks like, she's a child.

THIS is what sexualization looks like.

Rule 34 had to kick in sooner or later.
Sep 27, 2014 4:14 PM
Mar 2013
fst said:
...that's not really sexualization, it's just a dirty joke. She doesn't know what it looks like, she's a child.

stop with the pointless semantics. the joke is that it looks like a child squeezing a dick, that's undeniably sexual in nature
Sep 27, 2014 4:15 PM

Sep 2012
JD2411 said:

maybe nsfw

It's supposed to be an adult joke, combined with the fact that the web-like fluid is a natural defense mechanism of a sea cucumber. It's also a way to keep Japanese kids from doing stuff like this (squeezing an innocent sea cucumber), by censoring it. It's like how smoking is often censored in anime, even though anyone can tell what it already is. Relevant: http://i.imgur.com/ibCO91g.png
Sep 27, 2014 4:16 PM

Jul 2010
Saikachi said:
Yeah it really does seem that way, people are throwing around the words "overrated" and "underrated" way too much.

Haters can say anything they want, but in the end their score influences an anime's rating just as much as anyone else's and as such overrated anime does not exist.
Sep 27, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2010
Vladz0r said:
JD2411 said:

maybe nsfw

It's supposed to be an adult joke, combined with the fact that the web-like fluid is a natural defense mechanism of a sea cucumber. It's also a way to keep Japanese kids from doing stuff like this (squeezing an innocent sea cucumber), by censoring it. It's like how smoking is often censored in anime, even though anyone can tell what it already is. Relevant: http://i.imgur.com/ibCO91g.png
The censoring was done more for comedy.
Sep 27, 2014 5:26 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
Vladz0r said:

The censoring was done more for comedy.

Somebody already explained it:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1239129&show=40#msg33191995
Sep 27, 2014 5:35 PM

Dec 2012
JD2411 said:
fst said:

stop with the pointless semantics. the joke is that it looks like a child squeezing a dick, that's undeniably sexual in nature

That's the same thing as saying that Naru eating a hotdog or a sucking on a popsicle is sexualasation. Stop trying to twist things to suit your argument. Even then you'd need to provide a little more evidence or instances than that, she's not/wasn't handling or looking at it in any sexual matter.
ObjurgoSep 27, 2014 5:39 PM
Sep 27, 2014 5:46 PM

Oct 2012
I think the same and I really don't know why people are rating this 9-10/10.
I'm not saying they can't like it but this is 6-7/10 show at best when you look at it realistically.
Maybe they haven't seen anything better?
Or they happy enough with those cheap, slapstick jokes and bit of slice-of-life that you can see in every other anime.

If you look back on ten past years for example, you would find tons of better daily life comedies then this.
The problem with young people nowadays is that their demands for good anime are pretty low and that they only look back on two past years at best. Anything older than that is history.
Sep 27, 2014 5:47 PM

Dec 2012
natsucule said:
Maybe, just maybe, there are more people who like this show than people whom shares the same view as you.
Sep 27, 2014 5:50 PM

Dec 2012
Mich666 said:
I think the same and I really don't know why people are rating this 9-10/10.
I'm not saying they can't like it but this is 6-7/10 show at best when you look at it realistically.
Maybe they haven't seen anything better?
Or they happy enough with those cheap, slapstick jokes and bit of slice-of-life that you can see in every other anime.

If you look back on ten past years for example, you would find tons of better daily life comedies then this.
The problem with young people nowadays is that their demands for good anime are pretty low and that they only look back on two past years at best. Anything older than that is history.

It could be that it's one of those hit/miss shows like Haruhi or Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
Sep 27, 2014 6:32 PM

Apr 2013
Agree. It's obviously a good show with some memorable moments
But, I didn't enjoy it as much as others
Maybe the comedy is just not my type? don't know really
Sep 27, 2014 6:36 PM

Jul 2014
>I don't like something
>Others like it
>It is overrater

Expand your mind OP, you cannot expect something so subjetive as tastes to be objetive.
Sep 27, 2014 6:43 PM

Jul 2013
I swear if I had a dollar for each of these kinds of posts I'd never have to work again.
This sure is an amazing signature!
Sep 27, 2014 6:55 PM
Apr 2014
Bengon said:
s I'd never have to work again.

February 24, 1999

rotfl, i bet you're working your ass off right now
That's how I see like more than half of the MAL users with their "waifus", hentais, harems, weird-ass video games and all that shit
Sep 27, 2014 6:57 PM

Aug 2014
'Why do people like something I don't like?'

OP
Sep 27, 2014 6:59 PM

Jul 2012
LOL Naru's sexualized? I'm done with you guys.

Damn, even something as well liked and niche as Barakamon is getting the hype-haters.

PencilSharpener said:
Is it a routine on MAL to make one of these threads for every anime that just finished airing?

Only for shows that have 8+ scores.
MayukaSep 27, 2014 7:02 PM
Sep 27, 2014 7:04 PM

Aug 2014
mayukachan said:
Damn, even something as well liked as Barakamon is getting the hype-haters.

Barakamon wasn't really hyped though. A lot people I guess stumbled on it and found that it was a hidden gem in this pretty crappy season.

Probably same with Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.
Sep 27, 2014 7:06 PM

Jul 2012
FIREF0X said:
Barakamon wasn't really hyped though. A lot people I guess stumbled on it and found that it was a hidden gem in this pretty crappy season.

It gets a lot of attention in this season. This season wasn't crappy to be honest. It was better than the past few seasons, that's for sure. It's just that the other popular shows might appeal only to a few audiences (like Free! or Kuroshitsuji for instance)
Sep 27, 2014 7:15 PM

Aug 2014
mayukachan said:
It gets a lot of attention in this season. This season wasn't crappy to be honest. It was better than the past few seasons, that's for sure. It's just that the other popular shows might appeal only to a few audiences (like Free! or Kuroshitsuji for instance)

Yeah I guess but not as much attention compared to some other shows.

Perhaps this season wasn't crappy. Though my season consisted of the hype monsters (Aldnoah, AKG, Mahouka) whom turned out to be crappy and three or so other shows. The only really good ones for me were Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. I probably found it crappy because I haven't seen a lot of the other shows which may be good.
FoxfireSep 27, 2014 7:35 PM
Sep 27, 2014 7:21 PM

Mar 2013
JD2411 said:
fst said:

...Yes, but that's different from sexualizing a character.

Besides, it was literally a one time thing, unless you've got other examples.

mayukachan said:
LOL Naru's sexualized? I'm done with you guys.

Hey, don't lump us all in with JD, he's the only one who thinks that everybody else is like lolwut
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

154 by Karva1 »»
Jun 3, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

336 by snowykevin »»
May 24, 7:36 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

158 by Euonymus »»
Mar 20, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2014

399 by Devonnius »»
Feb 20, 10:31 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

175 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 11:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.