Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 2, 2009 6:46 AM

Mar 2008
Out of the current ~650 people who are "watching" Kampfer, about 1/6 of us already RATED the show. Given that the rating can be changed whenever you want, don't you feel it strange to rate something based on ONE episode?

For instance, have you seen how badly rated reviews are that come out after 1 episode? This shows a general disapproval amongst most of the member here in MAL that you shouldn't judge or rate something just by 1 episode!

I know the title may be insulting to them, but I couldn't think of a better way to put it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 2, 2009 6:53 AM

Nov 2008
Well, I shouldn't worry so much about the ratings, but about the show itself..
Oct 2, 2009 8:49 AM

Jul 2008
For a show based on fanservice (trap / yuri at that) with an almost non-existing plot, one episode is quite enough to support the predictable unwatchability, I daresay. Also, when you already read the manga before and you know what to expect (storywise), I think it's ok to rate it after the first episode, according to the animation / sound quality etc.
And yes, I am one of the "retarded" people.
Oct 2, 2009 9:31 AM
Sep 2007
First episode was quite fun.
Looking forward to ecchi fanarts.
Oct 2, 2009 9:39 AM

Jun 2007
A review and a vote are totally different.

I don't see a vote on a first episode as a judgement, but as a feeling on that show, and somewhat an expectation.

I usually rate every show, also from the first episode, and then change my vote based on what happens. At the end of that anime I like to see if, and how, my opinion of it changed. Maybe it was way worse after the first episodes or maybe it gained my appreciation in the second half, and got me to change that vote. It's fun to see how some shows looked awesome and then bore me to death (and reverse).

So think what you like to think, but sorry, I don't think I am a retard.

Oct 2, 2009 9:56 AM

Jul 2007
I agree that usually shows should be judged after watching them. But honestly this one pissed me off badly - It's an exception in my rating system that I rate a show after just one episode.. But hey - I think it "deserves" it. I gave it a 3 - because of an ok animation, it doesn't have anything else..
Oct 2, 2009 10:03 AM

Dec 2008
Some people like to rate an anime when they are on the newest episode.Because they are rating it based on what they think so far of the anime. Since the first episode is the newest episode they are rating it based on the impression they got. Their rating will probably change when more and more episodes come out.

I say 1/6 have their own way of rating and you're a retard.
Oct 2, 2009 11:20 AM

Jun 2008
MaStar said:
For a show based on fanservice (trap / yuri at that) with an almost non-existing plot, one episode is quite enough to support the predictable unwatchability, I daresay. Also, when you already read the manga before and you know what to expect (storywise), I think it's ok to rate it after the first episode, according to the animation / sound quality etc.

Seconded.

But I don't rate a show until I'm done watching it, be it completed or dropped.

Do we live to watch Anime, or watch Anime to live?
Oct 2, 2009 11:24 AM

Apr 2008
Is it really necessary to start threads like these each time a fraction of the viewership rates a new anime after one or two episodes (see Haruhi2 shitfest)?

People have their own ways of rating, and in the end, once the show has finished airing, the average score works itself out.

Oct 2, 2009 11:27 AM

Aug 2008
I'm going to wait till all the episodes are released then watch it. =\

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Oct 2, 2009 11:34 AM
Jun 2009
cool story bro
Oct 2, 2009 11:35 AM

Apr 2009
Only 1/6? Wow, apparently that show raises the average intelligence level of any given population.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Oct 2, 2009 12:12 PM
Mar 2008
who the heck cares. get over it. move on with your life.
and no, I did not rate this yet.
kthanks.

ps.
kaminakun said:
I know the title may be insulting to them, but I couldn't think of a better way to put it.
you could have put this in a MUCH better way.
Oct 2, 2009 12:20 PM

Sep 2008
There's nothing wrong for people who are watching the show to rate it after one episode, cause they could always change their vote later...but it's totally wrong for people who dropped the show after one episode to rate it, cause they'll never change their stupid 1's or 2's. More than that, it's wrong to rate a show you drop after any number of episodes.
Oct 2, 2009 12:29 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
kaminakun said:
Given that the rating can be changed whenever you want, don't you feel it strange to rate something based on ONE episode?.
This is exactly why you can rate the show already. You guys are totally missing the point in MAL's score system and its influences.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 2, 2009 12:36 PM

Dec 2007
I almost always rate shows since first episode, then modify it after seeing every next episode, really no big deal - in fact it makes life much easier and makes final score much more precise
Oct 2, 2009 12:45 PM

Sep 2007
Some people who are watching lots of series at once may rate after the first episods, so a week later they don't forget what score they gave it.

Oct 2, 2009 2:12 PM
Nov 2007
lol

I rate whatever I watch and read after the first episode or chapter. I modify it when required.

Like cyruz said, it provides us with the means to make a decision to whether to pick this up. I was planning to watch episode 1 this morning, but after seeing the rating, I plan to wait a bit before making a judgment to whether to watch it.

In any case, it's a good system and I highly encourage people who've watched it to rate it. The only thing I disagree with is giving ratings to dropped shows.
radiantfireOct 2, 2009 2:27 PM
Oct 2, 2009 3:31 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
radiantfire said:

In any case, it's a good system and I highly encourage people who've watched it to rate it. The only thing I disagree with is giving ratings to dropped shows.

Unless I find the series extremely bad so I dropped it. But I rarely drop a series completely and the series must be really really ridiculous for me to drop it. I also drop series that I try for fun because of the manga but won't continue because I'm reading the manga anyway. It doesn't mean that they're bad.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 2, 2009 3:49 PM

Sep 2008
wakka9ca said:
radiantfire said:

Unless I find the series extremely bad so I dropped it. But I rarely drop a series completely and the series must be really really ridiculous for me to drop it. I also drop series that I try for fun because of the manga but won't continue because I'm reading the manga anyway. It doesn't mean that they're bad.

Ah, but you never know right? It's wrong to rate a show and have it forever dropped. It's fair for the show if it's been completed and then having a bad score by the anime watcher/reader. It's almost trolling the show's popularity, what's the difference between rating a show and dropping it on the first episode or sixth episode, there is none because you haven't seen the whole thing yet and have a full opinion on the show. Kurogane no Linebarrels is very good example of this.

But I don't see a problem in rating a show early on and change the rating later if the person does intend to finish the show. I done that plenty of times. I do understand what kaminakun is saying though but people shouldn't be influenced by a shows rating but it's synopsis and what not. Its always better to see for yourself if you want to watch it or not. That's just my opinion though because I know not everyone wants to waste 20 to an hour of their time of course.
Oct 2, 2009 3:58 PM
Mar 2009
As cyruz pointed out, you're all missing the point of MAL.

It's because of the fact that the score can be changed AT ANY TIME that rating after the first episode is a thing you can do.

People who make threads like this are the ones who are retarded.

Oct 2, 2009 4:02 PM

Apr 2009
You know, "retarded" used to be a politically correct way of saying someone wasn't as smart as someone else, much like "mentally handicapped" is today. I guess there's just not any nice way to say someone's stupid.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Oct 2, 2009 4:25 PM

Jun 2009
I drop shows however, whenever I feel like. a lot of times when Im in the middle of the series like 7/12 or something and I feel theres just totally no point go on watching it, I give it a 4 and drop it.
4 is the minimum score of shows I would be able to watch it till the end, which means, no matter how bad it is, as long as I should be able to finish it, it deserves at least a 4 :)
Oct 2, 2009 4:36 PM

Jun 2008
AshDragon said:
Ah, but you never know right? It's wrong to rate a show and have it forever dropped. It's fair for the show if it's been completed and then having a bad score by the anime watcher/reader. It's almost trolling the show's popularity, what's the difference between rating a show and dropping it on the first episode or sixth episode, there is none because you haven't seen the whole thing yet and have a full opinion on the show. Kurogane no Linebarrels is very good example of this.
It's also wrong to finish a series just to rate it when you hate it from early on based on whatever the earlier events had shown. And well, for finished series on MAL, only someone who has seen 1/5 of it would the rate count right? First impression plays an important role, and series that fail to realize this will most likely won't go very far. In a 25~ episode series, if the series still don't pick up after 1/5 of the airing has been done... I do question its value.
Oct 2, 2009 5:14 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
AshDragon said:

Dropping is not permanent (for me). I picked up two series I dropped simply because I suddenly felt the urge to watch them. As of currently, I only dropped 3 series that I rated. And all three were just too bad for my tastes for me to watch it (i.e. it was painful). However, I am willing to pick-up any of them when I feel the urge to watch them. So the score is not final yet.

I understand your frustration. Shangri-la suffered a similar fate. However, by your logic, everyone should completely finish the series to rate it. This is biased, because mostly the ones who liked the series to some extent will continue watching it, making the score higher than it should be to the general viewer.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 2, 2009 5:35 PM

Sep 2008
I rate the series by episodes too.

First rating is just the rating of episode one, but the more episodes, the more my rating covers.

I do this with friends so we can see the change of our ratings throughout the series.
Oct 2, 2009 6:21 PM

Aug 2008
IMO theres nothing wrong with rating after one episode. After more episodes, if you feel its wrong, change it. Simple as that.

In most series you can generally see the entire direction from 1 episode, and first impression ratings are often fairly accurate - unless of course it turns terrible, or brilliant.

And I agree with the dropping argument... Although I do tend to rate *some* shows I drop after 1 episode, I mostly only rate those I drop after 2-3+.
Oct 2, 2009 7:05 PM

Oct 2007
coole geschichte bruder
Oct 2, 2009 7:05 PM

Sep 2008
*facepalms* This is why I usually avoid commenting on MAL. It isn't how you should rate shows, you should never rate a show and only leaving it dropped, if you are going to pick it up again, that's fine but if it's a show you are never going to pick it up and give a really low score, that isn't fine. You are messing up the score that way because you haven't seen the whole thing to properly judge the show. Here are a few examples why people shouldn't drop a show and give it a poor ratings:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/2167/Clannad/stats
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2001/Tengen_Toppa_Gurren_Lagann/stats
http://myanimelist.net/anime/934/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni/stats

Look at the total number of people that gave a show 7 and less when it's obviously much better than that (if you were to compare them to other genres of their selves, they would be the best for the genres for what they are, meaning it shouldn't be 7 or lower) or how about this, if it's not their cup of tea, it's stupid to give it a poor rating when you already know its not your type a show and dropping it because of that. There is no logic in that kind of thinking. That's like trolling a show, I hate yuri fluff animes (Strawberry Panic or Aoi Hana) but going out of my way to watch like 3-6 episodes of it and dropping it and giving it a 5 would hurt it when you know there are some people out there that like that sort of genre but since I would be biased on it and not know better about it's structure, it wouldn't be right now would it?

There are some shows I dropped even though they are popular to other people but I didn't give it some low score because it's just not my type of anime and other people who would like that type of show would have a more accurate reading on it because it's score wasn't poorly influenced by me who didn't bother finishing rest of the series to have a full judgment on it. That's all I'm going to say for this and I don't think I need to be any more clear on this subject so I'm not going to be looking back here and seeing what people disagree or maybe even agreed with. Just getting a point across and maybe people will understand or not which is probably the latter. -_-
Oct 2, 2009 7:07 PM

Apr 2009
I keep score tabs on everything I am watching, no matter how far in I am. It changes throughout the show and then I end up with a final score at the end.

Most of the time, it works nicely.
Oct 2, 2009 7:18 PM

Jun 2008
AshDragon said:
That's all I'm going to say for this and I don't think I need to be any more clear on this subject so I'm not going to be looking back here and seeing what people disagree or maybe even agreed with. Just getting a point across and maybe people will understand or not which is probably the latter. -_-
People read this sort of replies so a discussion can result and some sort of compromise agreement is resulted. Now with this...

:\
Oct 2, 2009 7:20 PM

Jul 2008
jedimagician said:
cool story bro
Oct 2, 2009 8:43 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
AshDragon said:

Look at the total number of people that gave a show 7 and less when it's obviously much better than that (if you were to compare them to other genres of their selves, they would be the best for the genres for what they are, meaning it shouldn't be 7 or lower)

7 is not a bad score. It's average. And just because you think it's a good show doesn't mean other people think it is. The scoring system is not limited within a specific category, it's compared to all anime genre that exist. Some genre are more preferred than others (i.e. generic harem cannot compare to good romantic comedy, so the best of generic harem does not get a 10/10)

AshDragon said:

How about this, if it's not their cup of tea, it's stupid to give it a poor rating when you already know its not your type a show and dropping it because of that. There is no logic in that kind of thinking. That's like trolling a show, I hate yuri fluff animes (Strawberry Panic or Aoi Hana) but going out of my way to watch like 3-6 episodes of it and dropping it and giving it a 5 would hurt it when you know there are some people out there that like that sort of genre but since I would be biased on it and not know better about it's structure, it wouldn't be right now would it?

Well, it's not like people WANT to watch bad series, or watch them because they hate them. They just inadvertently tried a series that they found really bad. People troll shounen-ai a lot for instance. However, they won't bother watching another series of that genre ever again and the series that failed at making them interested in the first place probably didn't do a good job anyway.

AshDragon said:

There are some shows I dropped even though they are popular to other people but I didn't give it some low score because it's just not my type of anime and other people who would like that type of show would have a more accurate reading on it because it's score wasn't poorly influenced by me who didn't bother finishing rest of the series to have a full judgment on it. That's all I'm going to say for this and I don't think I need to be any more clear on this subject so I'm not going to be looking back here and seeing what people disagree or maybe even agreed with. Just getting a point across and maybe people will understand or not which is probably the latter. -_-

Well, what is the point to write here if you don't even read what others think. What was the point of your first post then? To point out other people are idiots whereas you are the smart one? I understand that you feel outraged by some behaviors on MAL (I felt outraged when Legend of the Galactic Heroes was trolled down to rank 50s) However, this kind of attitude just defeats your argument.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Oct 3, 2009 3:37 AM

Mar 2008
Hey, it's completely valid to give a score based on a single episode.

I can understand if somebody hates this show as much as I hate say, ToraDora!.
Oct 3, 2009 4:36 AM

Jan 2009
Looks like you've judged some anime after 1 episode as well, so I guess that makes you one of the 1/6 'idiots' of MAL.

AshDragon said:

Look at the total number of people that gave a show 7 and less when it's obviously much better than that.

Those shows are over-rated if anything.
Manga_samaOct 3, 2009 5:12 AM
Oct 3, 2009 8:02 AM

Apr 2007
People actually care about these things?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2009 9:18 AM

Jun 2008
Oct 3, 2009 9:41 AM

Apr 2009
Siing said:
People actually care about these things?

apparently.
Oct 3, 2009 9:53 AM
Sep 2007
Well, I'm a retard anyway, so it doesn't bother me too much.
Oct 3, 2009 1:12 PM

Aug 2009
Well, can't be helped that some shows are kind of hurt by people not liking the genre, and then they just decide to pick it up on a whim. And if they go on to rate the show, it usually has a very bad score. To be honest, if you don't want to pick a show up, then don't. That's what I do. (Which is also why I still haven't dropped any series... yet.)

For me, I don't rate usually until I finish the whole show, which is when I give my rating based on the whole run. Now I deviate a little. I wait for at least three to four episodes to pass before passing initial judgment, then if an episode actually bumped up or floundered my expectations (it has to be a really awesome or a really horrible episode though, enough to have convinced my to change my rating), then I start changing my ratings.

So far I haven't rated any show below 6 anyway, and that was just an OVA.
Oct 3, 2009 5:18 PM

Aug 2008
MaStar said:
Pineappledishes said:
Some people like to rate an anime when they are on the newest episode.Because they are rating it based on what they think so far of the anime. Since the first episode is the newest episode they are rating it based on the impression they got. Their rating will probably change when more and more episodes come out.

What they said.

I rate it as I watch it, per each episode. It's just how I do things. And then...when it's done. I sum up what I thought about the whole show and give it a final rating.

Why are people who are different or do things different apart from your own way, "retarded"? I think that's a pretty bad way to go looking at things.

Everyone has their own style, own way, own opinion's & idea's. I wouldn't say there's one best way. Just to each their own, and their own personal view of which is better, but that doesn't mean IT IS BETTER.

It's whatever your taste may be.
Oct 4, 2009 8:50 AM
Dec 2008
I would wait till 2/3rds through the season. Because there are many anime I have seen as of late where the first few eps are really good, and then it just goes to a boring random crapfest(READ: 10x worse then naruto/bleach filler) until the last episode.

I like Akane and am interested to see where the whole relationships will go, plus im curious if Sakura secretly knows that Natsuru turns into a girl since she gave him the plushy. Seeing as all Kampfer's supposedly have a Intestine Plushy.
hawtfrankOct 4, 2009 8:58 AM
Oct 4, 2009 4:26 PM

Jun 2007
not like it matters anyway. Xinil has it set up so those votes don't mean shit until you've seen a certain percent of episodes.

And like radiantfire I score a show per episode. If I think the first episode is shit then it gets a score that reflects that. If the second episode is better then my score goes up for that show....etc. Not everyone votes the same way on MAL ;).
Oct 4, 2009 8:33 PM

Oct 2007
people rate stuff before finishing it, oh mai
Oct 4, 2009 8:34 PM

Oct 2007
DeathfireD said:
not like it matters anyway. Xinil has it set up so those votes don't mean shit until you've seen a certain percent of episodes.

And like radiantfire I score a show per episode. If I think the first episode is shit then it gets a score that reflects that. If the second episode is better then my score goes up for that show....etc. Not everyone votes the same way on MAL ;).
no, it was like that, he changed it back though
Oct 5, 2009 12:23 AM

Aug 2009
I usually take some time to think about it after finishing a show and then rate it.
Oct 5, 2009 12:34 AM

Jul 2009
I rated it in first episode of Kampfer, i give it 8 btw because i like it, and i rate it because i wanted it, and probably because i'm enjoying the manga so yeah you can call me retard or anything, it's just the way i'm doing things.

And it was not the "Final" score, we can change it if we think it was not fit..
Oct 5, 2009 4:04 AM

Aug 2007
Saitoe said:
Is it really necessary to start threads like these each time a fraction of the viewership rates a new anime after one or two episodes (see Haruhi2 shitfest)?

People have their own ways of rating, and in the end, once the show has finished airing, the average score works itself out.

lol. I agree. They 'majorly' effed up Haruhi S2 (one of my favorite shows) and now look at it o-o.
---
Well I basically rate everything during their first episode due to the fact that first impressions makes everything. Well, I can change it at some point if I dislike the fact that they're going to do some stupid stuff on some episode. Plus, what 'greatly' affects the ratings for me is basically the final episode. Usually, animes end with a cliffhanger (where there's no ending at all) will basically get 8-9 max. rating but during the duration of the programme, some people rate it 10.
Oct 5, 2009 2:44 PM

Jan 2008
Pineappledishes said:

Oct 5, 2009 4:40 PM

Jun 2007
Metroid_Ex said:
DeathfireD said:

no, it was like that, he changed it back though

Why would he change it back? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Point me to the thread that says he counts scores as soon as someone adds on.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kämpfer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Dec 17, 2009

252 by il887 »»
Apr 20, 2:53 AM

» Crap show

sjw_vegeta - Feb 2

10 by Arnez »»
Feb 7, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Kämpfer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ShanaFlame - Oct 22, 2009

126 by Lolicon »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:05 PM

Poll: » Worst Character?

neow_neow - Oct 31, 2009

36 by Lolicon »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Kämpfer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Proselyt - Dec 10, 2009

223 by White_Alice »»
Apr 28, 2023 7:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.