Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 26, 2009 11:15 PM

Feb 2009
noteDhero said:
That's not character development. What in Takamura's personality changed after that conversation? Nothing. You are grossly misusing that mechanic.

Gotta disagree with you on there,bro.
That scene wasn't just about the guys showing him support but also Takamura feeling the pressure of being in a World Title fight and all the expectations that come with it. Takamura is always so loud, brash and confident but this time he actually thinks of the possibility of him losing and not just letting himself down but everyone around him.

May 27, 2009 9:43 AM
May 2007
just wait until you see takamura after the fight
Jun 2, 2009 1:23 AM

Jun 2009
People are complaining that this episode doesn’t reveal anything new about the characters, but what kind of a match would it be without this episode? That would be completely uncharacteristic for this series, considering it is the most important match (so far). If you don’t understand that it’s epic, fine, but don’t go around saying this is not important.

Please think about what is involved in here. The magnitude of it. Of course you pay attention to the mundane things, of course they’re gonna show the cheesy ‘good-luck-please-win’ scenes, of course they’re gonna have flashbacks, of course they’re gonna show the national anthem. It’s a big deal.

Remember that this is not episode 20 of a new series, but episode 96 or so of ippo. This is not a series that is seeking to define itself, or introduce characters, or develop its plot. We already know all those things, and if you don’t, then go inform yourself then. This is not animated to impress new watchers of the series, or to follow the rules of 'good anime'. We already know that ippo is the best.

This episode is important because this match is.

P.S.

There are actually some saying that the manga and the anime must be treated separately. My question is: have you guys actually watched shonen anime? Or even shoujo? I mean those animated from the manga? Don’t you know anything about anime?

Do you know what standards these anime are being judged on: One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Emma, Glass Mask, Nodame Cantible, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cross Game, etc.?

That is right, folks, the sole criterion is how well it and how truthfully it adapts from the manga. That is it. Do you know why everyone hates the first series of fullmetal alchemist, even if it was not that bad, and why they are re-doing it? Or why other series like Naruto contends to show dozens of filler episodes whenever the anime catches up to the manga? A majority of anime is animated not to introduce a new work, but as a fanservice to the characters Japanese people already know and love.
Jun 2, 2009 3:25 AM

Aug 2007
fisher_88 said:
]There are actually some saying that the manga and the anime must be treated separately. My question is: have you guys actually watched shonen anime? Or even shoujo? I mean those animated from the manga? Don’t you know anything about anime?

Do you know what standards these anime are being judged on: One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Emma, Glass Mask, Nodame Cantible, Fullmetal Alchemist, Cross Game, etc.?

That is right, folks, the sole criterion is how well it and how truthfully it adapts from the manga. That is it. Do you know why everyone hates the first series of fullmetal alchemist, even if it was not that bad, and why they are re-doing it? Or why other series like Naruto contends to show dozens of filler episodes whenever the anime catches up to the manga? A majority of anime is animated not to introduce a new work, but as a fanservice to the characters Japanese people already know and love.

Fillers do not bother me unless they go against canon. It's just really stupid to cut anything out of an anime if it was in the manga.
Jun 2, 2009 10:45 AM
May 2007
well, it's not like the hni anime has cut out stuff from the manga

like okita fought on the undercard of date and martinez

after the miyata/arnie weigh-in, miyata and his father went to get some pasta

when hawk first introduced himself in the manga, he spoke (or at least tried) to speak in english

in the first season of the anime, ippo got into boxing because of mike tyson. i was disappointed that was taken out in the anime, as well as aoki painting himself black just so he could get ippo read to fight ozuma.
Oct 30, 2009 10:53 PM

Nov 2007
And so it begins O_O this match should be crazy =O
Jan 5, 2011 9:44 PM

Aug 2008
It was pretty impressive seeing all those champions there to see Takamura off. And that was some nice build up there, too. It really felt like you were about to watch some huge sporting event. And it looks like both these guys really know how to put on a show. Watch out Takamura... I have a bad feeling about all the places that tongue has been!

Jul 19, 2011 10:14 AM

May 2010
Build up, hype, and anticipation for Takamura's fight is so immense! It was great to see all the Japanese Champions giving their support to Takamura.. The entrance was okay.. I still prefer the bear suit for Taka.. but Bryon Hawk's getup was hideous! Can't wait until they start fighting.. I wonder what style he fights.. the next following episodes would definitely be intense! ;-D
Sep 2, 2013 7:27 AM

Jul 2013
This was a good episode, it really raised the tension for the fight, and it just makes it that much more exciting, Takamura's entrance into the ring was epic with that Hawk suit, but Hawk's entrance was kind of weird with whatever he was wearing. He sure knows how to piss people off though when he tore that Takamura shirt, it looks like these 5 episodes are going to be exciting.
Nov 27, 2013 7:36 PM

Nov 2011
I hope Takamura cleans that ugly smirk off of Hawk's face.
Jan 24, 2014 9:56 AM

Jun 2009
noteDhero said:
This was a worthless episode. They spent so much time on stuff that they just gloss over during the show normally. I think the art may have been better executed, but it only underscored just how much I hate the character design and direction of the show in general. Then top it off with my favorite character, Miyata, smiling at the sight of Ippo and saying something quite out of character during the entrances of the fight (something about feeling tension, or being nervours?), and everything having to be about Ippo, made this a borderline terrible episode.

I can be glad that I had a drink (a rarity) before I pressed play.

Jesus Christ you complain a lot. It's called plot and character development. If you hate it so much, wait for the show to finish airing and skip half the episodes.
Jan 31, 2014 7:04 PM

Jun 2012
I thought Hawk was going to sit down when America's national anthem ended and not stand back up when Japan's national anthem would begin, however, that didn't seem to be the case; it was just to build pressure like Kimura said.
Aug 13, 2014 1:08 PM

May 2012
This match is going to be insane! Really man I can't wait to see what happens next! Really nice, Ippo's victory was also quite amazing but well all eyes focused on the match to come!
Mar 15, 2015 1:57 PM

Jul 2012
I can't believe they fit an entire episode in between two matches. Good thing I'm not watching this weekly haha.
May 17, 2015 6:22 AM
Jan 2012
Jeez! This fight miyata vs ippo is taking too long.
Near the Hawk, Takamura seemed like a nice guy.
I hate Brian Hawk.
Nov 1, 2015 5:09 AM
Nov 2014
Been a long time since I got really hyped up for a fight, have a sneaky feeling that this fight is going to blow my expectations away.
Feb 24, 2016 3:44 AM

Jan 2016
Hope Takamura kills him.
Mar 29, 2016 12:13 AM

Aug 2013
Ehh, figured they'd drag out all the introductions and save the fight for next episode. The buildup was good though, and seeing everyone fistbump Takamura was brotastic.

This fight is seriously being built up to be the best fight in the series. I'm looking forward to seeing Takamura beat the shit out of this faggot
Jul 2, 2016 8:21 PM

Jan 2013
The most important match yet, and possible ever.
Great episode.
Jun 8, 2017 5:05 AM

Mar 2013
Great build up episode.

Glad to see Sendo and Date once again.

Looking forward to the wild match!
Nov 22, 2017 2:42 AM

Jan 2016
Currently rewatching this show after 3 years and I am still hyped for this fight!
I felt so bad for Takamura struggeling with his weight and this stupid asshole is doing nothing except of fxxing girls and provocates him the whole time and he is not able to do anything before the official fight

I really liked that everyone came to support him Eji, Sendo, Mijata and Kimura and Aoki giving him their respect

I love to see Takamura's serious side, that makes me like him even more
Dec 22, 2017 7:21 PM

Jun 2015
Hype is over the roof.
Nov 26, 2018 6:10 AM

Oct 2012
So character development exist for Takamura too
Here I thought he's there just to be badass for those guys

Takamura is wearing "Taka" xD
Haha Ride of the Valkyrie
What's more America than this song? xD

Must be muscles from having sex :P
"Signature removed"
Jun 17, 2019 2:54 PM

Jul 2015

Still can't believe this braindead person is the champion.
Can't wait for Takamura to go rage mode on this asshole.

Mar 15, 2020 2:08 PM

May 2015
KIl this hawk already
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 7, 2021 4:20 PM

Nov 2016
It was great to see how everyone came for Takamura and how he reflected on everything seriously got me in the feels.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 19, 2021 6:59 AM

May 2016
The Battle of Hawk has finally begun and so much has been riding on Takamura winning this! I just hope that he'd really end up winning no matter how hard-fought the match will be.

Aug 13, 2021 9:02 PM

Aug 2018
Please win, Takamura! I cant stand Hawk, I need to see him getting knocked out!

All the champions gathering to give Takamura their best wishes was more than epic!

Dec 9, 2021 6:00 AM

Dec 2007
lot of builds up with average cliffhanger like the rest of this series.
though i bet the match itself will be worth it.

hawk brown doesn't have respect to anyone, he's disgrace to himself lol.
Jan 10, 2023 10:54 PM

Apr 2022
so many big names showed up this episode, takamura got the entire nation on his side lesggoooo
Feb 27, 2023 4:52 AM
Jul 2022
Suspense and Pressure were insanely huge this episode
Mar 22, 2023 6:02 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
The buildup is crazy!!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

65 by GingZ »»
May 27, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 30, 2009

127 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 12, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

140 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 11, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.