Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 24, 2008 2:57 PM

Aug 2008
cyruz said:
Another awesome episode, I'm loving this show to the fullest. The 99 e-Mails at the end were a nice touch.

Me too! A great drama, filled with romance! Just love it! xD
Miyako appears to have had some kind of tragic past...
Nov 8, 2008 5:31 PM

Jun 2008
ahh i don't like kei though >_> i hope he chooses the other one
Jan 4, 2009 6:32 PM

Dec 2008
Iriya said:
Hmm, can't quite pinpoint what exactly but I don't like Miyako quite as much anymore after this episode. Maybe it's because she tried to get Hiro to hang out with her even though Kei had a basketball match and Hiro might possibly want to go. I didn't like how it was almost like she was asking him to choose.

Seconding this. I do have a comment of my own though. As it stands, it's either MiyakoxHiro or KeixHiro, and it seems like a common reaction to get jealous, taking matters into your own hands like Miyako did. I can't say that her pulling Hiro away from Kei is saintly but I suppose that's what love does to people.

That aside, I wonder what's gonna happen with those missed calls...and I'm guessing this is just a race to confession xP It's hilarious how Hiro has no idea. I'm rooting for KeixHiro at the moment, though.

Dango, dango, dango, dango, dango, daikazoku~

Jan 29, 2009 11:31 PM

Nov 2007
Wow, so Hirono goes to Kei to help her, wonder how Miyako is going to take this, and Renji and Chihiro progress yet again:3, lmao at the police woman uniform xD
Mar 15, 2009 3:38 PM

Aug 2008
With Miyako Counter-PWNED it's a 1-1 tie, and soon after Kei takes the lead.

Can Miyako's attack of 99 epic mails turn the table?
Apr 11, 2009 3:13 PM

Jan 2009
I really liked this episode, suprisingly I'm more of Kei's side. Miyako is completely annoying to me, I hate it the "other" girl comes in and interferes with your territory.
I think Renji can be a little bitch. Chihiro and him act like their four sometimes, its retarded but when their not, their quite cute.
I'd like tossing your salad.-"Yuru"/MMMKD
DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM MOTHERFUCKER?-SophieWophie<3
Jul 18, 2009 4:22 AM
Apr 2009
Kei owned her back. Nice.
Sep 25, 2009 12:54 AM

Sep 2008
This episode made me realize that there's actually 2 stories going on, and not the same person at different times in his life.

I feel rather stupid.
Jun 1, 2010 9:24 AM

Nov 2008
I though that Hiro might abandon Kei but I was glad that he did not. Renji's mother might be having an affair. LOL
Sep 3, 2010 8:22 AM
Jul 2018
atlantiza said:
Tenshin said:
haha i lolz at kuze-san uniform collection XD

I spy with my little eyes... A MAHORA UNIFORM. (Negima)

Picture for proof :o

XDXDXDXD good eye, i didn't even notice that x3
Jan 25, 2011 6:59 PM

Aug 2010
deli53 said:
Kei is being stupid. She had Hirono like forever and now that she has rival she gets pissed off? Just confess your feelings you had soo many chances to do so. I want Miyamura with Hirono and I guess something has happened to Miyamura in the past cuz when she heard the word disappear, she told herself that she was going to disappear again..

I agree, it is a bit strange. A little rivalry is pretty exciting.

I feel like if the OST was better, the anime would be SO much enjoyable.
Aug 4, 2011 10:41 AM

Mar 2011
It made me happy seeing Hiro arriving at the infirmary to see if Kei was alright.
Nov 3, 2011 3:36 PM

Aug 2010
The uniform collection.. hahaha! And Renji asking why his mother knew about it. If I were in his position, I would NOT ask. I wouldn't want to hear the answer....

Nov 8, 2011 12:53 AM

Feb 2009
I wonder what does Miyako mean when she said she doesn't want to disappear again (from someone's heart).

And Kei is looking more like an antagonist than anything else really.

Chihiro's storyline is by far the most interesting one so far.
Nov 12, 2011 12:47 AM

Jun 2011
Looks like Miyako has her own secret when she mentions that she didn't want to disappear again, wonder what all that was about?

Veethorn said:

Completely agree with you~
Jul 10, 2012 2:32 AM
Jul 2012
I loved this episode.
I am curious which one he will choose in the end.
Aug 8, 2012 10:20 PM

Oct 2009
Ruri-san said:

Veethorn said:

Completely agree with you~

That's for sure, very good ep!
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Oct 21, 2012 11:31 PM
Sep 2012
Really liking it so far.

Renji x Chihiro are my favourite.
Nov 4, 2012 5:22 AM

May 2012
Damn nice episode that ending was really great! Up to the next episode and lets see what happens next!
May 29, 2013 2:03 AM
Jul 2018
Benzen said:
Really liking it so far.

Renji x Chihiro are my favourite.

Agreed. They are definitely the best couple in the show. There storyline is more interesting too.

I am definitely routing for Kei now. (although I can't say i'm a huge fan of either of them). Miyamura acts all nice to Hiro, but she's a completely bitch to Kei. Maybe some backstory will elaborate on her way of acting, but for now, I don't like her. (childhood friend normally wins anyway)
Aug 31, 2013 10:19 PM

Nov 2012
hmm I see kei declare a war with miyako :3
I wonder how hiro will act for this :3

and 99 missed calls? I wonder what gonna happen in next episode :3

btw that smile of chihiro in the end :) I hope she can remember anything from now :3
Oct 20, 2013 5:57 PM

Jan 2011
Ignoring that it's weird to have a collection of girls uniforms in the first place..why does he have different sizes, and especailly, a size that fits Chihiro? Especially that police woman uniform..

Renji's mother looks like she wears a different size, so who was it for (it's not like her wearing it wouldn't be weird enough on it's own..)? Just in case, like "you never know when it would be useful"? Or a collectors pride,if you start it, you get the complete collection?

That scene was one of many that made me really like ef. I actually started quite some time ago, but more or less put in on hold for months to watch other things first, but now that i got around to watch it, i wouldn't want to miss it.

It's refreshingly different from most anime with romance as a major story focus, avoiding most, if not all clichés, while still featuring a nice story including rivalry, but also some comedic highlights without being jarring or anything.

Art style is also nice. The music is nothing i will remember and listen to over and over, but still nice and fitting.

I hope it continues like this, including the second season.
Nov 15, 2013 4:54 PM

Sep 2011
So, which girl is gonna go down the yandere route? :D
I can understand Kei's "pain", but she is being way too selfish :/ I'm still with Miyako. I wonder what's her story though (not wanting to disappear again).
Also, that 99 missed calls o_O It was probably Miyako, but why so much? Did Hiro leave her that abruptly and without a word? But still, this many calls... I guess she is pretty much as freaked out about "losing Hiro" as Kei. But probably for a somewhat different reason (again, the disappearing).
RazielZeroNov 15, 2013 4:58 PM
Feb 10, 2014 3:25 PM

Aug 2013
I like how Renji is slowly grabbing Chihiro out of her closed world. He's really dedicated to her. I still hate his voice xD

Hiro is a dumbass, to forget her like that. I mean, I'm not really fond in Miya since I find her a bit bitchy, but she doesn't deserve that.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 17, 2014 7:01 AM
Mar 2013
minouneetzoe said:
I like how Renji is slowly grabbing Chihiro out of her closed world. He's really dedicated to her. I still hate his voice xD

Hiro is a dumbass, to forget her like that. I mean, I'm not really fond in Miya since I find her a bit bitchy, but she doesn't deserve that.
well he should've atleast called her in advance and told her the reason he couldn't make it. I think that since he skips school so much it's become a habit to skip meetings/appointments.
Jun 10, 2014 2:52 AM

Jul 2013
Fuck yeah, bitchy Miyamura got hers.
I don't usually care about who ends up with who in anime, but god, I am shipping Rei SO HARD right now. Been a while since I disliked a character so much as I dislike Miyamura.
Aug 17, 2014 6:59 AM

Jan 2014
This episode was really powerful, in every sense: script, scenery, angles, art.. everything.
The talking between Kyousuke and Hiro was amazing, really impressive, as well as between Kei and Miyako, Kei speech pumped me up.
I am shipping Kei and Hiro. Kei is really understandable, she always liked him, but she couldn't make a move because of the feeling of guilt towards her sister. Now that she seems to have found hope and happiness, she feels more at ease but coincidentally a rival appears.
I don't dislike Miyako though, and it seems also that she's got a gloomy backstory.

Not too much scrren for Chihiro and Renji, but it was incisive enough. Powerful the image of her not being alone anymore inside her cage.
Best episode.
Aug 23, 2014 7:04 AM

Dec 2013
Wrong choice Hirono :/
Oct 5, 2014 8:07 PM

Aug 2014
i feel like i know where the romance is heading.

poor miyako.
May 22, 2015 4:00 AM

Aug 2009
lol @ kuze san's hobby

dem cosplay chihiro

damn... so now it's a full-on battle between miyako and kei

miyako played a little dirty, but kei scores first
Sep 25, 2015 4:53 AM

Jan 2014
I'm rooting for Kei lol
Oct 5, 2015 2:06 AM

Nov 2011
The drama in this episode, particularly the shake-up of Miyako's character, was nearly enough to cause me to break my analysis of the show to discuss primarily in a more personal manner. While there's nothing wrong with that, I'd like to stick with the same style as my previous posts. Still, I felt it was noteworthy (personally) that I had to rewrite major sections of this post because the drama (and what that revealed about a certain character) was just that compelling.

Anyway, to start with, there was an excellent contrast made between Hiro and Kyosuke this episode. Although they were talking about the methodology in creating a story, in reality their differences in personality are being revealed more explicitly. Hiro is more responsible, but he takes his responsibility to such an extreme that he struggles with taking into account his personal feelings and his need for others. On the other hand, Kyosuke isn't as inhibited with others, but he takes his "freeness" to the point that it's irresponsible, and he struggles to be satisfied due to laying no foundation for himself. He's completely selfish, yet he can't be happy because of said selfishness.

On Renji and Chihiro's side of things, not much new happened from a narrative standpoint, but we did see that Chihiro now views Renji as the way out of her "circle of memory". This again draws attention to the enormous responsibility Renji is taking upon himself in becoming close to Chihiro. Himura continues to warn him about this, and for good reason. If he keeps growing closer and it doesn't work out, it could be devastating for Chihiro, not to mention any pain it might bring Renji himself as well. I've mentioned an unease I have concerning their relationship because of this; it still sticks with me now.

As for Kei and Miyako, I think an important part of Miyako is being revealed by this sudden conflict. You see, at first she seemed like a more mature version of Renji in that she was trying to help Hiro, and it helped herself in the process. She understood what he needed to do to be happy. But now that her budding relationship with him is being threatened, her strength in hiding her internal damage is crashing, and it looks like she's falling into despair. Hiro is the only person who acknowledges her, and she apparently isn't able to cope any longer... Unfortunately, that very desperation could drive Hiro away even more.

While I was sympathetic to Kei's situation before this episode (and discussed it at length in the previous episode discussion), I can't help but feel that she's become all the more selfish in this episode. She hasn't learned from what happened to Chihiro. Her jealousy is leading her to hurt someone else again through underhanded methods rather than facing up to Hiro fairly. Kei's manipulating him, and while I certainly can't condone Miyako's choice to attempt to sabotage Hiro's going to Kei's game, someone who is willing to say they will destroy someone else when that other person did nothing wrong... I can hardly even sympathize with that. I guess I'm trying to say that they were both in the wrong, but Kei shares the greater guilt because she's the one who initiated it.

It was an excellent dramatic development.

On a personal note
TripleSRankOct 5, 2015 7:59 PM
Oct 23, 2015 5:44 PM

Jul 2009
Kei is getting on my nerves, really..
Nov 12, 2015 5:41 AM

May 2015
I really hope things work out between Chihiro and Renji, but it isn't looking good. Especially due to the objections of Chihiro's guardian. I'm hoping she'll break out of her shackles and regain her memory, but I feel like I'm hoping for the impossible, even if it IS an anime, where anything can happen.

My guess is that Kei will develop a crush on Kyosuke, they'll become a thing, and that Miya and Hiro will be a thing. That's the best case scenario, though.

bittersweetlove said:
Kei is getting on my nerves, really..

I swear, that girl is one heartbreak from becoming a yandere.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Dec 22, 2015 7:56 AM
Nov 2014
I was expecting someone to get killed by the first few seconds of this episode.
Jun 23, 2016 6:19 PM
Aug 2014
Kei is definitely best girl. Im a little mad that she didnt confess when she could.
Oct 15, 2016 4:08 PM

Mar 2015
It seems the pairings are already set up. Kei is gravitating towards Kyousuke, and Miya - Hirono. I can't say I like it, Miyako seems like a repulsive and arrogant person. I'm really rooting for Kei on this one, and I wouldn't mind Miya being completely left out in the end.
Nov 12, 2016 4:02 AM

Mar 2015
Nothing special this episode. It just confirms the rivalry between Miyako and Kei. This episode confirms that I dont like Miyako because she easily bored over little thing.

I watch anime for the sake of gaining knowledge. It is a strong weapon that will be very useful to my daily life.

3.2/5
Nov 1, 2017 6:40 AM

Jul 2008
And it's officially open warfare between Kei and Miyamura.

Let the bloodbath begin.
Mar 12, 2019 5:06 AM

May 2016
Kei is taking the dark way, hope it don't end up killing each other the vibe it gives so far is giving me chills.
Mar 28, 2020 1:55 AM

Aug 2017
Miyamura best girl. Kei is spooky
Dec 14, 2020 4:49 AM

Aug 2018
Is it just me or do the mouth movements not sync up to what is actually being said.
_______I like rocks__
Jan 18, 2021 9:00 PM
Dec 2019
This anime is shaping up beautifully. It is also managing two stories running parallel to each other with amazing precision to detail.
May 6, 2021 5:30 AM

Nov 2018
Drama becomes too heavy for me ...
Now I understand why Monogatari was much easier to watch for me. I miss the logical dryness here , it's purely drama , romance and abstract way of storytelling.

Characters are pretty average to be honest , except for maybe Chihiro. Others are just straight up archetypes I've seen million times before. Kei is basically Kyou from Clannad. Kinda same in everything , slightly different name and that's all.
ZevvenMay 6, 2021 5:34 AM
I hate everyone equally
Sep 3, 2022 1:23 PM

May 2018
Kei finally takes action! Good thing her Onii-chan took care of her. Miyabi got stood up lmao
Nov 21, 2022 2:22 AM

Jul 2022
Well, I go more with Miyako than with Kei but I think the result is already defined from this ep. Unless... That the pretty-faced blond really falls in love with Kei and is just as in love with him, or what the hell do I know. They are the 2 viable options that I see xd

Btw, what a hdp Kuze with Renji's mother xDDD
May 4, 2023 9:03 AM

Jul 2016
Chihiro's excitement for arriving in the library was adorable but kinda sad given her memory and all.

Pretty refreshing for things to go somewhat in Kei's favor in the end for once.
May 20, 5:11 PM

Dec 2022
Loving the Kei + Hiro development in this episode. I have to be honest, I'm going to be disappointed if they don't end up together.

I'm almost positive that Miyako is out of the picture at this point. At worst, you can say that Kei is possessive, but Miyako seems to be unhinged. Not to mention how condescending she is towards Kei, when Kei has only tried to have a mature conversation with her about Hiro.

I feel that Renji and Chihiro's romance started off really strong, but for the past 2 episodes it's been moving too slowly for my liking. I haven't found the novel-writing to be particularly interesting. I realise that she's essentially writing about herself, but I don't know... Their scenes in this episode just struck me more as filler than anything. Hopefully it will start to get exciting again and lean into the memory defect part of the story.

Great episode, though!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

280 by Miryy »»
May 20, 6:02 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Nov 5, 2007

74 by Miryy »»
May 20, 5:15 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Oct 16, 2007

93 by Miryy »»
May 19, 12:25 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

radiantfire - Dec 22, 2007

332 by salarx »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.