Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 2, 2014 5:50 PM
Dec 2013
Has anyone else found the huge difference between scores of Chaos Head and Serial Experiments Lain jarring? It's very confusing, because they're very similar shows, with almost exactly the same pitfalls. Both are train wrecks that leave you with more unanswered questions than any new thoughts they both promise. The only reason I can think of why people would consider Chaos Head a lot worse is that its based on VN and can therefore be considered adaptation decay, or that the characters are annoying (as opposed to just flat, as in Lain).
Jan 2, 2014 6:10 PM

Jan 2010
Long answer

Short answer

Jan 2, 2014 6:29 PM

Jun 2007
Lain is "okay" but overrated by the 'mature anime for mature viewers like me' crowd and thus is rated fairly well.

Chaos;Head is just fucking terrible - and no, it's not 'adaptation decay', the VN is godawful garbage too.
Feb 8, 2014 11:11 PM
Feb 2010
TallonKarrde23 said:
Lain is "okay" but overrated by the 'mature anime for mature viewers like me' crowd and thus is rated fairly well.

Chaos;Head is just fucking terrible - and no, it's not 'adaptation decay', the VN is godawful garbage too.

this guy is actually mentally retarded. i have seen nothing from bullshit spewed from this guys mouth and i have seen him on multiple threads.

it most certainly is an example of Adaptation decay, you take a visual novel that is 10 hours to complete at minimum, take away all of the fun of branching delusions, censor the fuck out of it and cram 10 - 30 hours of content into 12 episodes

12 episodes, lets do some math.

12episodes x 27minutes = 324 minutes / 60 minutes = 5.4 hours.

YOU COULD MARATHON CHAOS HEAD IN HALF THE MINIMUM ESTIMATED TIME TO READ THE VISUAL NOVEL.

That, is a true definition of Adaptation Decay, take it from someone who just finished the visual novel.

the source material was far too much and too non linear to cram into a 12 episode anime.

The VN is good, by no means great. i would rate it highly 8/10 the anime however i dont think i could stomach to watch it.

* i'm nit trying to personally attack you, but stop spouting bullshit*

you get mad props from me for having gunslinger girl as one of your favourite manga, it is pretty much the only manga that ever made me openly cry.
Feb 8, 2014 11:13 PM

Jun 2012
Lopkir said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

this guy is actually mentally retarded.
Thanks for your internet diagnosis, you must have quite the PhD to make such an allegation.
Feb 8, 2014 11:16 PM
Feb 2010
PhD = pretty huge dick

why thank you, but you left out my reasoning. i made many valid points to why what he said was flat out Ignorant.

Cheers
Feb 8, 2014 11:25 PM

Jun 2012
Lopkir said:
PhD = pretty huge dick

why thank you, but you left out my reasoning. i made many valid points to why what he said was flat out Ignorant.
I was going to say sine qua non but I felt pretentious just typing it.

You're still founding your reasoning as to why Chaos;Head is a shoddy adaptation solely on it's pacing. Who's to say he didn't have fundamental problems with the series on both mediums?

Furthermore, adaptation decay is irrelevant to the rating of this series, nobody is going to give the Anime a higher rating because they liked the Visual Novel.
Feb 8, 2014 11:57 PM
Feb 2010
woah woah woah, slow down thier cowboy.

1. i never said the source Material was flawless

2. "solely on pacing"

- "the source material was far too much" *entirely different ( the pacing was caused by this to be sure, but its the removal of content that i was talking about)

- " too non linear" the branching delusions from the novel in praticular ^ KINDA the same thing ( im tired man)

- "censor the fuck out of it " *its pretty bad*

- the terrible pacing

there. i clarified why it is a bad adaptation, if i continue on with this conversation ill start pissing my self off.

just to ice this one.
Feb 13, 2014 3:49 AM

Jul 2012
Lopkir said:
woah woah woah, slow down thier cowboy.

1. i never said the source Material was flawless

2. "solely on pacing"

- "the source material was far too much" *entirely different ( the pacing was caused by this to be sure, but its the removal of content that i was talking about)

- " too non linear" the branching delusions from the novel in praticular ^ KINDA the same thing ( im tired man)

- "censor the fuck out of it " *its pretty bad*

- the terrible pacing

there. i clarified why it is a bad adaptation, if i continue on with this conversation ill start pissing my self off.

just to ice this one.

100% agreed^
We can even say the same goes to 11Eyes (besides the level-up by sex bullshit, just like Fate Stay Night, another adaptation massacre)
Jul 12, 2014 5:12 AM

Dec 2013
I've never messed with the VN for this one, nor was I able to sit through Lain's 2nd episode or any thereafter.

I'm going to spoiler tag the rest of my post in case someone who hasn't seen this one stumbles across this thread...

So, back to the original post... This series is scored just under a 7 here on MAL while Lain is just under an 8. That's not really a jarring difference, and while I couldn't sit through Lain I wouldn't call this series a trainwreck. In fact, I'm thinking that word doesn't mean what you think it does. But, this is all just my opinions.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.

More topics from this board

» The Chaos;Head Anime is Bad, but don't give up on it!

Volcanic_Phoenix - Apr 23

2 by Hashiriya_weeb87 »»
May 30, 11:58 AM

Poll: » ChäoS;HEAd Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 11, 2008

98 by hedous »»
May 8, 1:31 AM

Poll: » ChäoS;HEAd Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DeadIEnd - Dec 25, 2008

247 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 22, 12:40 PM

» Friendly reminder the anime is an absolute embarrassment and the visual novel is legitimately up there with steins gate

Fischer77 - Mar 22, 2023

19 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Jan 14, 12:34 AM

» I. Hate. The. Main. Character. ( 1 2 )

SY_IS_DEAD_IRL - Oct 22, 2008

66 by SciADV_Maniac »»
Mar 10, 2023 4:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.