Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 22, 2013 8:06 AM

Jul 2008
I marathon the anime right now, i hate it but i know it good, it just hard to not see my self in the MC.

today in http://anidb.net i find out that Watamote get (5 for fans, 9 recommended)
No single Must see O_o even worst MOE anime get at last 1 Must see!

i think these anime hurt.

Dec 22, 2013 9:38 AM

May 2009
You answered your own question: many people dislike it because they see themselves in Tomoko. Through her, they're reminded that their daily life sucks and that they use anime to forget about it. It takes a strong mind to be able to get yourself past that and enjoy the show for what it is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2014 8:10 PM

Jun 2013
Those people who dislike the anime just because they're uncomfortable seeing the main character doing what most of them do are the worst type of shit I can think of.

I feel 90% related to this anime and I this anime gave my a good laugh and I really enjoyed it.
Apr 24, 2014 3:27 AM

Feb 2012
I don't think it's as simple as "my daily life sucks too"

I think SOME people hate it because Tomoko is fully fleshed out. She is not your average sympathetic shy anime girl. She is the real deal, complete with misguided hatred and anger. I feel that some people cannot come to terms with their own flaws such as this, and feel a bit insulted or attacked so they become defensive (Tomoko has done so herself whenever a shred of self awareness arises)

*I say this because I have a not-so-close friend that told me he hated the show, and lo and behold, I see a lot of the same flaws that Tomoko has in him. He's socially awkward, and always has this me vs the world attitude.
Apr 29, 2014 1:01 PM

Mar 2014
I don't necessarily hate it.
If anything, I really feel for Tomoko. I keep hoping she'll finally catch a break. But at the same time I sympathize with many of her problems too much and it stirs up too many feelings for me to handle more than 1 episode at a time. >_>
Apr 30, 2014 11:47 PM

Mar 2013
People expect (wrongly) to see some type of progress, results, or growth on Tomoko's part. They may share similarities with the MC, but unlike their real life where they fail in certain aspects, they watch anime (largely) as an escape mechanism, so when something shatters their delusions and makes them feel uncomfortable, they spitefully lash out at it, dropping it and/or giving it criminally low ratings. Many who did this will deny my assertions and fabricate some pseudo-intellectual garbage to defend their crime, but its best to not believe them since the (vast) majority are Lying.

In reality an anime like this deserves atleast an 8.5 Mal rating. Thats what NHK has, but it itself suffers from some of these same haters, preventing it from being the 9+ Mal rating it deserves to be.
Aug 19, 2014 12:10 AM

Nov 2011
At first, I was very interested. I couldn't wait to watch it. Then it finally came that I could no longer hold it in.

Disappointment.

For something directed by the same person who directed BakaTest, this one is just GAY. It gets old fast, and there's just not much of a charm to it. I hate it even more because it parodies KyoAni garbage too often. Big minuses.
Aug 21, 2014 12:41 AM

Jul 2013
People seem to hate this for stupidest reasons. The other thread where the op was complaining about how Tomoko isn't accurate portrayal of socially awkward people made just my eyes roll. It's a comedy show so why go into it expecting it to be some hardcore psychological drama?

Personally i didn't find anything to complain about Tomoko's personality. Of course she is a extreme personality but i think lot of her rang true and i could relate to her in several ways.

I also see people crying how cruel the show is but that's just bs. Her classmates never actually pick on her and the few insults she get's during are well deserved. I admit that i'm sort of shut in but only once or twice it felt like the show crossed the line and stopped being funny but overall the show doesn't go so far that anyone should feel uncomfortable. Maybe if her classmates had actually been assholes (which they clearly are not) and picking her constantly then i would see why people cant watch the show but that's not the case. Only the people with the most delicate psyche will grab a pillow thanks to this show. Some of the humor is dark for sure but joke is a joke.

To me it's just major bs that some people think that this show is about making you feel good about yourself and that it's spiteful towards shut ins.
Aug 22, 2014 5:37 AM

Jun 2009
The only reasons I kind of dislike it is too much second-hand embarrassment and the fact that nothing significant happened in the whole anime (I wasn't expecting a huge change, but something, at least.....?). Other than that, it's totally OK. I don't hate it at all.
Aug 23, 2014 12:27 AM

Jul 2013
mjudla said:
The only reasons I kind of dislike it is too much second-hand embarrassment and the fact that nothing significant happened in the whole anime (I wasn't expecting a huge change, but something, at least.....?). Other than that, it's totally OK. I don't hate it at all.

I disagree. In a sense nothing huge happened but if you look at where Tomoko started at the beginning of the show you can clearly see that her condition improved over the course of the show.
Aug 23, 2014 12:29 AM
Jul 2018
Watamote <3 I love the cringe humor!
Aug 23, 2014 2:36 PM

Sep 2011
Nah... some people want character development.
You know. Lonely shy girl/boy at first, otaku, loner, suddenly developing a harem/reverse-harem.
Yeah, fans love that.

Which is unlikely to this anime.

Tomoko's a b!tch. She deserves everything. ^_^
Aug 27, 2014 3:02 PM

Aug 2013
This Anime was a really good watch. I do think people seem to take it personal which is why it wasn't well received. I personally found the series hilarious and anyone that tries to act like this series was a personal attack against them is simply being delusional.
Aug 27, 2014 3:03 PM
Jul 2018
I see myself through her and that's one of the reasons why I love the show so much!
Aug 31, 2014 3:40 PM
Aug 2012
lol, man, WataMote is absolutely hilarious! Was absolutely funny when she fell asleep with the "handy messager"

i really don't see any reason why to pity the girl or feel sad about it, only real issue with her is that she is shy and needs to work on it, which is what she does at a more realistic rate.

if anything, i'd prefer to have had her high school life over mine.

perhaps people don't like this anime, because they are feeling guilty for being on the other side of the table.
Sep 6, 2014 12:32 PM

Oct 2012
I kind of feel like it's the opposite. Most people i know who thought this anime was funny thought so because it REALLY captures what having intense social anxieties as a teenager is like. It lets those of us who had to go through or who are going through that misery laugh at ourselves and feel understood. Those who have never dealt with that level of anxiety and social isolation find Kuroki offputting and creepy.
Sep 23, 2014 1:57 AM

Sep 2014
I enjoyed it, even though her social awkwardness did hit somewhere near home.
I can barely hold a conversation with people who aren't open perverts.
Sep 24, 2014 10:18 PM
Jul 2018
It didn't really hit home that much.

The protagonist is that loner type, but is more of a schizo than anything else, so it's difficult to like her.
I still like her though; I generally like most loner/hikikomori types.
Oct 12, 2014 1:42 PM

Jan 2012
She is the female me. I usually hate slices of life or anything like this, but I found myself not laughing at her, but myself for going through everything she has.
Oct 20, 2014 7:42 AM

Oct 2011
The first I ever heard of this show was from an article condemning how it made fun of people with social anxiety. So maybe some people do feel that it ridicules them. I did not.
Oct 20, 2014 7:50 AM

Oct 2008
To be fair the whole premise and just the overall tone of the show is presented in a very comedic fashion.Its by no means a proper,accurate representation of a shut-in/antisocial type of person,at least compared to Welcome To The NHK which was much more direct and "hard hitting" to a lot of people.
amateurOct 20, 2014 7:53 AM
Oct 29, 2014 1:59 PM

Oct 2010
amateur said:
To be fair the whole premise and just the overall tone of the show is presented in a very comedic fashion.Its by no means a proper,accurate representation of a shut-in/antisocial type of person,at least compared to Welcome To The NHK which was much more direct and "hard hitting" to a lot of people.

Welcome to the NHK! is a comedy as well.

I'd say they are on par. Some exaggerated traits for the sake of fiction but the background is relatable in that sense. Probably Welcome to the NHK! exploits the idea of being more mature because the conflicts and setting of adulthood are not as abrupt and overdramatic as the ones in adolescence. But it's hard to deny that Tomoko's more... extreme? emotional? display has a quite realistic context and origin.
jal90Oct 29, 2014 2:05 PM
Oct 29, 2014 2:16 PM

Sep 2014
Tomoko is portrayed a bit realistically,but also her life and struggles are exaggerated
in order to make the show funny.If they were too realistic about a socially anxious person,the show would be very depressing.And anyway,Welcome to the NHK does this better.
Personally I loved the show.I'm a guy,but when I was Tomoko's age I was a lot like this.It also happens that I have a friend just like Yuu,good looking,popular,but also a bit of a geek.
Oct 29, 2014 2:18 PM

Oct 2012
I thought the anime itself was okay but I was annoyed with her (blanking on her name lmao) because she reminded me so much about myself and the qualities that I hated about myself.
Oct 30, 2014 4:56 AM

Oct 2010
Penfort said:
Tomoko is portrayed a bit realistically,but also her life and struggles are exaggerated in order to make the show funny.If they were too realistic about a socially anxious person,the show would be very depressing.And anyway,Welcome to the NHK does this better.

I don't fully agree with that. The situations in WataMote are very mundane. And in fact I think the show tries to put emphasis on how Tomoko has the wrong perception of reality. She acts like her daily life is some sort of RPG, which added with her obsession about being judged and consciously rejected is what builds this radically different view. This is in no way different than Satou's conspiracy thoughts. I think the only substantial differences here are that Tomoko's view and therefore subjective narration is emphasized more, while NHK! chooses a more objective viewpoint, we are treated more as observers of Satou's situation (WataMote aims more to put us in the MC's shoes). On the other hand, one is more structured as a plot with progression and clear goals, while the other is situational and episodic. Regardless of that I don't find one more realistic than the other and in fact it's Satou's ride the one that is filled with more extreme and absurd elements (thinking about him getting dragged into a suicidal cult, for instance) that take his situation to convenient extremes.
Oct 30, 2014 9:34 AM

Sep 2014
jal90 said:
Penfort said:
Tomoko is portrayed a bit realistically,but also her life and struggles are exaggerated in order to make the show funny.If they were too realistic about a socially anxious person,the show would be very depressing.And anyway,Welcome to the NHK does this better.

I don't fully agree with that. The situations in WataMote are very mundane. And in fact I think the show tries to put emphasis on how Tomoko has the wrong perception of reality. She acts like her daily life is some sort of RPG, which added with her obsession about being judged and consciously rejected is what builds this radically different view. This is in no way different than Satou's conspiracy thoughts. I think the only substantial differences here are that Tomoko's view and therefore subjective narration is emphasized more, while NHK! chooses a more objective viewpoint, we are treated more as observers of Satou's situation (WataMote aims more to put us in the MC's shoes). On the other hand, one is more structured as a plot with progression and clear goals, while the other is situational and episodic. Regardless of that I don't find one more realistic than the other and in fact it's Satou's ride the one that is filled with more extreme and absurd elements (thinking about him getting dragged into a suicidal cult, for instance) that take his situation to convenient extremes.

I think that Tomoko does have a wrong perception of reality,but only because she's a shut-in who didn't have much to do with reality for a time.Her situations are very mundane because she's a 15 year old student,while Sato is a college dropout who reflects on his past.
I have to admit that you are perfectly right about the difference in viewpoints between the two animes,which I failed to notice.
Also comparatively,the people around Tomoko feel more normal than the ones around Sato(suicidal,victim of domestic abuse,otaku...) which is why his situations seem more absurd that those of Tomoko,who is around normal high school students.
Nov 10, 2014 10:20 AM

Sep 2014
I guess it can be true for some people, not for me though. I do have these kind of problems (male version though), but the way Tomoko reacts to everything and the ways in which she tries to solve her problems are funny and I can't really take them seriously. It doesn't make me depressed in any way, I actually really enjoyed the show. I like these types of slice of life comedy series from time to time.
Nov 22, 2014 6:42 AM
Jan 2013
almozayaf said:
I marathon the anime right now, i hate it but i know it good, it just hard to not see my self in the MC.

today in http://anidb.net i find out that Watamote get (5 for fans, 9 recommended)
No single Must see O_o even worst MOE anime get at last 1 Must see!

i think these anime hurt.

Watamoe isn't about loliness.It is to reinforce a dogmatic view of reality.Watamote is made specifically to Hate.It is the first anime of its kind.

For once,the collective anime fandom did the right thing of bashing this show.Even if they do not understand it....

There is hope for anime yet.
genesic123Nov 22, 2014 6:47 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2013

401 by BirdNegus »»
Jun 1, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2013

258 by rafarab13 »»
May 22, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

202 by rafarab13 »»
May 21, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2013

144 by rafarab13 »»
May 21, 2:51 PM

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.