Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 31, 2017 6:11 AM

Jul 2008
God damn it Kyoko always getting neck deep in the poop.

Just WTF is going on with these creepers....I love this show.
May 24, 2018 5:47 PM

Nov 2016
Poop!

Fantastic episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 29, 2019 8:27 PM

Mar 2016
This was a long time coming but: that a person's soul/consciousness/whatever would be connected to their virtual body/avatar makes absolutely zero sense. I could understand if remnants of the user's feelings/will, through that Imago thing, were somehow copied and lost along with the virtual body and left to wander in the old spaces, but the idea that the unconscious body is left completely behind is too hard to believe. The distinction between the real world and e-spaces, and it's doubling of our real world, would mean only a 'soul' that is completely digitized could persist there, and there is really only meaning to the soul/body distinction if the analog 'soul' is left behind along with the real body. Whatever Imago's medical features are, and kirabugs, might make this more believable plot wise, but the cyber supernatural, urban legend undercurrent of the show was really intriguing and I feel like if people really are getting lost in the e-spaces we're losing some of that feeling. This series has done a good job of making parallels between old, out-of-date digital spaces and abandoned, forgotten locations IRL, and I can't help but think that the 'ghosts' that haunt each of these places shouldn't be so solidly connected.
syncrogazerJul 29, 2019 8:37 PM
Aug 10, 2021 7:07 PM

Jul 2017
One of the most tense anime episodes I've seen in a while, and boy did it help that I saw it pitch dark at night with the speakers loud here. I genuinely experienced that nervous breakdown feeling that both Fumie and Yasako were both experiencing as they not only had to consistently try and hide from the Illegals that were invading their place (with the place basically being an e-space), but also trying to save Kyoko from her soul being lost forever. It's still not over yet in terms of the escape but at least Kyoko for now is back. Man this episode at night just made it feel so much more special than what I expected out of this episode on paper. Solid sound design as a whole.
Dec 29, 2021 9:17 PM

Apr 2012
brooo this episode was so scary ToT
Mar 23, 2022 6:21 PM
Aug 2016
This was such a good episode. Everything about it, from the 'wandering to other side' actually happening with Kyoko to actually bringing Kyoko back by syncing her actual body with her cyber body using the coil tag. Now this is how you write a good sci-fi show.

5/5
Apr 14, 2022 11:08 PM

Feb 2021
After just 2 eps this is like a completely different show
Jun 20, 2022 10:56 PM

Jan 2010
I can't believe it, this is actual cyber horror. It's been so goddamn long since I've seen anything even resembling horror in anime.

The Illegals from the deepest parts of Obsolete Space are creatures that, when they touch you, can steal the digital equivalent of your soul, either sending you into a coma or outright killing you. To see them, you must be wearing the AR glasses, and if you take them off, you risk having your real and digital self split since you're in the middle of Obsolete Space, also endangering your life. At the current moment, the Illegals are indestructible, they can't be reasoned with, they are of unknown origins with unknown abilities, and they can break through even Metatag-laden walls within a few minutes. All you can do is hide and run.

I'm so happy this anime exists. Dennou Coil is amazing.
Jul 16, 2022 12:31 PM

Sep 2016
I'm absolutely loving these spooky internet shadow people spectres. Reminds me very much of the shadow people that were in the Japanese horror movie Pulse (Kairo, 2001). Cool video for those who are interested in the resemblance: https://youtu.be/HfoU_Z1uVfc
Oct 4, 2022 5:57 PM

Jan 2020
Fumie is performing some serious mental gymnastics to tell herself Kyoko catching a cold made her all shadow-y and have "no data" printed along her body.

This did just become a very different show. I sort of wish we had gotten to this point sooner and cut out some of the slice-of-life/filler-y episodes. Oh well, I'm hoping for a strong finish.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jan 21, 2023 2:29 PM

Jan 2014
This poor girls gotta be so traumatized LOL. Like that was a frightening experience, even as a viewer. Plus literally any plot involving densuke stresses me the hell out lol, why they gotta always put the little girl and dog in danger

I wonder if they’re saying “give it to me” because they want their consciousnesses? Also I had a bad feeling when Kyoto had the candy, it reminded me of that story of Persephone and how because she ate some food she was trapped in hell forever… I think if Kyoto ate anything there she wouldn’t have been able to return, they got her back in the nick of time

syncrogazer said:
This was a long time coming but: that a person's soul/consciousness/whatever would be connected to their virtual body/avatar makes absolutely zero sense. I could understand if remnants of the user's feelings/will, through that Imago thing, were somehow copied and lost along with the virtual body and left to wander in the old spaces, but the idea that the unconscious body is left completely behind is too hard to believe. The distinction between the real world and e-spaces, and it's doubling of our real world, would mean only a 'soul' that is completely digitized could persist there, and there is really only meaning to the soul/body distinction if the analog 'soul' is left behind along with the real body. Whatever Imago's medical features are, and kirabugs, might make this more believable plot wise, but the cyber supernatural, urban legend undercurrent of the show was really intriguing and I feel like if people really are getting lost in the e-spaces we're losing some of that feeling. This series has done a good job of making parallels between old, out-of-date digital spaces and abandoned, forgotten locations IRL, and I can't help but think that the 'ghosts' that haunt each of these place

This is a good critique but I think there’s an explanation: dennou coil is making the argument that there is no analog soul, the soul is completely digital. Or rather, it can be made digital. So it’s more like a splitting of the entire being; the analog version is just the body and the digital version is the consciousness, with a digital representation of the body. Kinda like all those sci-fi movies where people try to upload themselves to the internet so they can live forever or something. That’s why this splitting can only happen when the glasses are on, I think the glasses work by connecting to your consciousness/brain activity. Like that’s how they make phone calls with their hands and how isako can fight with her mind etc. so when your glasses are on your consciousness is digital, and it is at risk of splitting from your body. Thats my best guess for what’s going on
laputiaJan 21, 2023 2:51 PM
May 14, 2023 3:29 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Kyoko's part was really a much scarier version of Chihiro. Densuke is the goat though
Apr 13, 1:49 AM

Nov 2023
The lighting and atmosphere is just a masterpiece
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Dec 8, 2007

138 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 16, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 23 Discussion

_edge_ - Nov 29, 2007

31 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 15, 2:40 AM

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MasterChief - Aug 10, 2007

106 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 11, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Siing - May 17, 2007

60 by Slice-of-sky »»
Jul 6, 2023 2:00 AM

Poll: » Denno Coil Episode 24 Discussion

_edge_ - Dec 10, 2007

40 by Fafette »»
May 24, 2023 10:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.