Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 24, 2013 6:07 PM

Jan 2013
This is getting so interesting! I'm loving how it's not just one protag who the focus is on. There are 3 different stories going on right now that are slightly connected. I swear I have the stupidest grin while watching cause I'm such a sucker for good romance :D

I honestly can't even decide who I like the best yet because they're all so great.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Aug 31, 2013 8:48 PM

Nov 2012
hmm this is it! XD finally chihiro telling her feeling to renji.. ahh even in the beginning it was hard.. :3
it is really beautiful.. :3

DeathfireD said:
I'll make it simpler lol.

Manga guy (Hiro Hirono) is childhood friends with both basket ball girl (Kei Shindou) and memory loss girl (Chihiro Shindou).

Basket ball girl (Kei Shindou) is the younger twin sister of memory loss girl (Chihiro Shindou).

Book Boy (Renji Asou) likes memory loss girl (Chihiro Shindou) and she likes him (most of the time).

Basket Ball girl is object of interest of Camera guy (Kyosuke Tsutsumi).

Crazy horny girl (Miyako Miyamura) likes Manga guy (Hiro Hirono).
Basket ball girl (Kei Shindou) also likes Manga guy and childhood friend (Hiro Hirono).

The one thing they all have in common is that they all know or see the two twin sisters.

Heres a visual of what I just said

I'll make a better one later.

/start rant
So after watching the latest ep, it could be concluded that if those twin sisters did not drag manga kid away from his work, he would never have gotten into manga and probably would have focused on trying to get into a good art college (of course never skipping school and never meeting horny girl), one of the sisters would not have fallen in love with him, the other one probably would not have gotten into that accident (i'm sure we will learn the cause later), and all the other characters probably would have met under different circumstances.

/end rant

ahh I see now :3 thanks bro lol :3
Oct 20, 2013 12:20 PM

Jun 2013
It's not tagged seinen for no reason. Way to go Renji. Loved this episode.
Oct 28, 2013 8:25 AM

Sep 2011
Oh crap you're done.

Nov 14, 2013 4:53 PM

Sep 2011
That confession was pretty sudden, lol.
Not related to that, but I'm starting to not care about the Chihiro x Renji story anymore. I don't know, it's just kind of boring compared to the Hiro x Miyako :S

Apart from the Chihiro part, the episode was awesome. Miyako is great.
Feb 5, 2014 7:49 PM

Aug 2013
Well, that was an unexpectedly fast romance between Renji and Chihiro :P

It was kinda too obvious that Kei would show up when Miyako was with Hiro...

Miyako is funny and always joyful. It made me laugh when he got home and she was just waiting there xD

What I guess will happen (it might be a bit too soon though) : Kei will try to get Hiro to love her but he'll get closer and closer to Miyako. Meanwhile, Kyosuke will encounter Kei and will fall in love. Maybe she'll even use him to annoy Hiro. Anyway, that's just random speculation :P

What deceive me about this show is some of the seiyu that have kinda annoying voice and the character design that I find for most character not interresting at all. I mean, they don't have to have that super obvious unique design like a amazing scar or whatever, it's just that their look are... boring. There is exception though, the eyepatch is not something very original in anime, but what I like is that it give her a mysterious look even if there is no mystery behind her eyepatch (her eye lost in a car accident).
minouneetzoeFeb 5, 2014 7:52 PM
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 17, 2014 6:36 AM
Mar 2013
If this anime was just about one couple it'd get boring really quickly but I'm glad there's multiple protagonists. It makes it a lot more interesting. I am really liking the romance between Renji and Chihiro so far, but I'm not sure what's going on with Hiro and Kei yet.
Jun 12, 2014 6:18 AM

Oct 2013
great fucking ep
the tears were real T-T
so cute/sad/happy/
[/quote]
Aug 17, 2014 3:34 AM

Jan 2014
Nice episode, even though I prefered the last one more.
I like the fact that the attention moved more to Hiro and Miyako, even though the crescendo between them was cliched.

Talking about crescendos, the pinnacle of Chihiro and Renji at the sea was overly dramatic, when she did that move worth of one shakesperian's tragedy.

Give me more Kyousuke, please.
Aug 22, 2014 9:06 AM

Dec 2013
Why is that Kei so jealous ? Isn't she Hirono's sister ?
Great ep, lots of HironoxMiyako, less Renjifag. Chihiro is a bitch too in this ep.
Wtf this random kiss idea.
I wonder when some real drama comes in.
Oct 14, 2014 9:50 AM

Jan 2014
story about girl who lives alone in a world that has ended. Clannad much?!
Jun 30, 2015 2:15 PM
Sep 2009
Kei is an idiot... who the hell calls a guy you like "Onii-chan" and expects them to love you back?

Obviously he will never see you as a love interest if you keep calling him "Brother" idiot.
Sep 23, 2015 2:23 AM

Jan 2014
Aw, this was nice.
Poor Kei :(
Oct 1, 2015 10:13 PM

Nov 2011
For the person asking what the clouds inside people means, during the first episode it didn't make much sense, but I thought it was pretty easy to infer afterwards. Recall the title Sky::Feeling, and note that ef's themes are about both dreams and people (and in a broader sense, society). The feelings one has when looking at the sky evokes one's dreams, so showing the sky inside the characters is calling attention to the dreams inside people, and how said dreams relate to each other and society.

Speaking of which, I want to talk about these two thematic elements in the context of Hiro's development this episode, because Hiro is the only person in the show who is already living his dream/purpose. Hiro's state shows that people generally cannot exist as an island. Where Miyako has been more literally alone, Hiro is alone figuratively. (This is further portrayed symbolically by Miyako literally lacking color through her blindness, while Hiro lacks color figuratively.) The figurative lack of color in Hiro's world stems from the lack of emotional connection: I think Hiro's father's role is the most important part of the backstory because of this. You see, his father trained him to pursue drawing to such an extreme that Hiro neglects his need for relationships and emotional contact. I believe Miyako perceives this kindred loneliness, which explains her unusual degree of persistence as well as her overlooking of Hiro's rudeness. I'm growing more and more interested in her backstory because of this.

That then leads us to this episode's title separator, Oblivion::Dream. I like this one in particular because it can be used to speculate on both the situation before and after it. We haven't seen enough of Kei to know what her dream is. Although we could surmise it's related to being with Hiro given her current pursuit of him, I doubt it since the characters in this story aren't defined by requiring a partner explicitly, but rather by having a void that needs filling (which said partner is able to fill implicitly). Considering that both Renji/Chihiro and Miyako/Hiro share this sort of relationship, I think Kei's actual dream is different (and perhaps more suited to interacting with Kyosuke's issues).

As for Chihiro, we could infer that "oblivion" refers her lack of memory while "dream" refers to (...) her dream. I thought Renji's gesture was kind, but I also think he may be getting in deep too quickly. His ideal of being a "white knight" might mean well, yet I can't help but feel that he has no clue how much responsibility he is taking on in offering to write a story with Chihiro. At that, I think it's somewhat understandable for her to fall in love this quickly due to her memory loss, but Renji has only know her for what, a week? I can't imagine Renji's current state being anything more than infatuation. Big decisions like this need to be considered longer and more seriously than I think he has. That doesn't change how cute his asking for a kiss or Chihiro's reply was, but I still feel apprehensive about this development.

On another note, I think the director went considerably overboard with the rapidly changing angles, the nonsensical sudden fall, and the body slinging during the most heated part of Chihiro's frustration. The development was palatable overall since it made sense story-wise, but it would have been much better had the visual intensity been toned down a couple notches. Having intense drama in an outward, visible manner simply doesn't work well without a lot of buildup, even if it does make sense. Less is more.

Even so, overall I think the directing has been excellent so far. The only other element I don't particularly care for is the random scene switches interrupted by a solid-colored screen. It doesn't seem to have any significance story-wise. I figured it might be to save time and money on animation since the animation is absolutely gorgeous otherwise, which is made especially impressive given how detailed the art is at times. I view said scene switches neutrally as a result.

Oh, and before I forget, I think we can finally determine with a degree of certainty that Kei and Chihiro aren't Hiro's sisters by blood. The way they met him on the bridge in the backstory felt too unfamiliar for them to be blood-related even if they didn't interact with him much before then.

In the end, I'm glad we were able to get through a drama bomb without it considerably worsening the series; it seems like most shows fail horribly on this front. Despite my issues with that aspect, I still thought this was a strong episode and I continue to look forward to progressing developments.
TripleSRankOct 2, 2015 6:54 AM
Oct 23, 2015 8:29 AM

Apr 2011
this story she wants to write ressembles the visual novel Eden* lol
Oct 23, 2015 5:40 PM

Jul 2009
It was so cute when he asked to kiss her.
Oct 30, 2015 9:51 AM

May 2015
Chihiro x Renji is honestly the most annoying part of this story so far. It is extremely melodramatic. The story Chihiro wants to write sounds exactly like Clannad. The Hiro parts in this weren't bad though. I like how he got more screen time this episode.
Nov 11, 2015 3:59 PM

May 2015
The story about Chihiro and Renji breaks my heart. He really has fallen in love with her, and yet every day she forgets about him and their relationship. It's too much to hope that she'll regain her memories in the end. It's so tragic.

As for Hirano, Miyako and Kei's story, it's pretty good. I'm not particularly fond of Kei, who seems pretty two-dimensional from where I'm standing. I mean, I feel like she could be incorporated into the first story extremely well, yet her role is minimal in it. She just doesn't seem to have a lot of depth. Miyako's a tad annoying, but I like that about her. In the end, I'm rooting for her and Hirano instead of Kei and Hirano.

Regarding Kyosuke's story (I don't really see it as both his and Emi's story), I'm still not sure what it's about. Also, I'm wondering why they've bothered adding it, since Kyosuke is listed as a supporting character in this anime, suggesting that we're not really going to go too deep into his story.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Dec 21, 2015 1:37 PM
Nov 2014
Renji's voice is hilarious, cannot take him seriously hahaha.
Nov 11, 2016 9:43 PM

Mar 2015
Learned again. Putting Mayonnaise on flaming pan will extinguish the flame, WoW.

All romantic developments are happening in this episode alone. I like where this is going. Each story in this show is connected in one way. I think Renji confession was early imo.

My favorite couple to happen is Miyako and Hiro and Miyako is the most attractive girl in this show.

3.9/5
Nov 20, 2016 6:33 PM

Jun 2013
well now we know who the original writers were for shelter
Nov 1, 2017 5:36 AM

Jul 2008
Oh Hiro....you're really in trouble now.
May 20, 2018 4:41 AM

Apr 2015
Oh come on, Miyako...

Guess I love Manic Pixie Dream Girls a bit too much.
Mar 10, 2019 3:17 AM

May 2016
More sad stuff, I smell incest though...
Jul 23, 2019 8:52 AM

Jul 2016
It's like I'm watching reverse netorare
All you can hope for in your worldview is consistency
Aug 27, 2019 1:10 PM

Sep 2016
really good episode with nice drama, and i do love that part of the ED where it shows kei running away. this always happen after kei gets hurt or betrayed, and it’s as if she’s running away from that pain. if anything, the whole chihiro and renji conflict was a little too dramatic for me. confessing after a week? really? and also, why the fuck did chihiro fall? like? did the waves do it? idk it was really awkward but kei x hirono for the win
Nov 2, 2019 2:27 AM

Dec 2015
Conversations really hit this episode, the confession at the end was cute.
May 6, 2021 3:24 AM

Nov 2018
Shaft are true professionals at making stylish and kinda sexy pseudo-deep stories.
Unfortunately it's not really that good outside of style ...
I hate everyone equally
Jul 9, 2021 5:06 AM

Mar 2016
someone said Chihiro really needs some of these. i have to agree, but i think all the characters here need that

Sep 2, 2022 2:41 PM

May 2018
Gigachad Renji already going for the love confession. I never knew he had it in him haha
Sep 15, 2022 4:55 PM

Jan 2013
The story she wants to write is pretty much herself already.
Every day for her is a new world where she feels alienated and alone.

Definitely getting more interested in the story though.
Oct 19, 2022 5:49 PM

Apr 2022
''Why does someone knows me better than I do'' Im sorry but this is so sad :(
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Nov 20, 2022 8:25 PM

Jul 2022
The reference to Clannad

Btw, the illustration of Mizuki at the end has nothing to do with the Mizuki shown in the Anime, or is it me? xd
May 3, 2023 10:01 AM

Jul 2016
Well that's a rough scene to walk into. Poor Kei.

That scene on the beach was adorable for a failed(?) attempt to ask someone out.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

280 by Miryy »»
May 20, 6:02 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Nov 12, 2007

97 by Miryy »»
May 20, 5:11 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Nov 5, 2007

74 by Miryy »»
May 20, 5:15 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Oct 16, 2007

93 by Miryy »»
May 19, 12:25 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.