Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

[SPOILERS] Refrain vs. After Story- which climactic or pivotal scene impacted you the most?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 18, 2013 5:51 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
kinda weird in a way how animal deaths can feel just as bad as human deaths, but I guess with proper writing it's sensible

saddest VN scenes huh... well other than what's already mentioned, the ending of Aiyoku no Eustia hit me pretty fucking hard as well
2manyfeels t.t

also MLA has quite a lot of emotions all over the place but they're more continuous rather than one big climax (although *that* part stands out a bit)
Dec 18, 2013 6:47 AM

Aug 2008
Swan Song had quite a few moments which made me feel like the earth was ending (no pun intended). That and MLA had to be the cruelest blackest void of emotions a player had to experience.

Kira Kira also had some key feels in one route.
Dec 18, 2013 1:03 PM
Feb 2012
I think Shizuru's route from Rewrite was the most emotional and depressing thing KEY has ever done... I mean the whole chapter was sad, but the ending is just something else Q _ Q.
Dec 18, 2013 4:44 PM

Aug 2008
You know darkstar is right that Shizuru's route is one of the only key routes that has the ending leave off on such a bummer.

But for some reason...I didn't feel anything from it. I think it was too rushed to be truly effective really. It just felt like a bunch of stuff was "happening" but there was no build up to really anything.
Dec 18, 2013 5:02 PM

Sep 2013
Shizuru's route was sad in my opinion I mean

Her route was the only one that had a sad ending in Rewrite tbh, all the other routes were okey. Made me sad since I really liked Shizuru and Kotarou together.
Dec 18, 2013 6:50 PM

Sep 2012
As much as I love Clannad and After Story, I never really understood why people seem to LOVE episode 18 so much more than the rest of the series. Yes, I'm aware of the scene's significance for both characters.
Dec 18, 2013 7:52 PM

Feb 2012
I've heard from quite a few people that Shizuru's route is shit, and to add on that I find her really really boring in common route, I think I wouldn't feel anything at all from her route. to the people who have played her route, would I be able to skip it and go on to the terra route? or is there important info there?
Dec 18, 2013 8:19 PM

Sep 2012
smilewolfy said:
I've heard from quite a few people that Shizuru's route is shit, and to add on that I find her really really boring in common route, I think I wouldn't feel anything at all from her route. to the people who have played her route, would I be able to skip it and go on to the terra route? or is there important info there?

You grow to love her. She doesn't talk much or attract much attention in the common route. Heck, I never liked her that much at first. Her route makes her cute though.

You can't really "skip" routes. Unless you mean not paying attention to detail, but it does give more information on the Key and its effects, and shows some importance of the Occult Club affecting the whole group.
Other than that, only the Akane and Kotori routes give much information that relate to the Terra route. (I haven't played in a while, but I just replayed Akane's route :3)

Also don't play Shizuru's route before Chihaya's.

Edit:
remembered that it has information regarding Koutarou's powers.
ExboDec 18, 2013 8:34 PM
Dec 18, 2013 8:32 PM

Sep 2012
smilewolfy said:

Shizuru's route was shit, but I still teared up towards the end.
It's hard not to value some of the character attachment by the emotional parts of the story.
Dec 18, 2013 8:40 PM

Aug 2008
I'll be honest, you can near skip the entire game of Rewrite and go to Terra. It feels terribly disconnected from the rest of the story. Yeah there's plot details, but it generally contradicts itself and there's plot holes up the wazoo anyway. Heck you might enjoy Terra more that way.

You know what would have made Shizuru's route good? Character development from her...that would have been nice. You know what would have also made it good? Solving the problem with her parents...yeah those things would be nice indeed. It's like here's Shizuru..this is everything to her character and you can't help her at all...in fact you only make her more miserable by letting her get attached to another person who she eventually loses as well. I think the writer really friggin hated her or something.

As much as I love Clannad and After Story, I never really understood why people seem to LOVE episode 18 so much more than the rest of the series. Yes, I'm aware of the scene's significance for both characters.

Good directing and budget, as well as Tomoya coming to terms with his father problem finally. Just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy by the end seeing so much positive development from him. Ushio scene is really sincere and heartfelt, even with the limited exposure to her character it's hard not to feel happy for her when you saw her struggle so much the previous episode.
hyperknees91Dec 18, 2013 8:43 PM
Dec 18, 2013 11:40 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
or you can read the entire game and skip Terra, might be better :P

Dec 18, 2013 11:56 PM

Feb 2012
hmm i see i see, well thanks guys xD i guess i'll do Akane then Lucia routes, followed by Terra and keep Shizuru route for, like, if the anime gets announced and I need to have more knowledge before it airs xD (my friend did something with save files, i have no idea what, and unlocked the entire game for me and all CG's when i got it :3)
Dec 19, 2013 10:11 AM

Jul 2011
In a comparison between the animes, it's no contest. Clannad made me tear up a bit whereas Little Busters just made me feel sad.

If we're comparing Visual Novels, then Little Busters wins hands down - the part where Kengo is saying his good-bye really made me start to tear up.

That being said, both scenes are excellent in their respective shows.

Edit: Is it ok if I take it back? I want to vote for Little Busters now, because upon second viewing, the dude who voices Kyousuke does such a DAMN good job at displaying how distraught Kyousuke is with what's going on that it makes me feel goosebumps every time I hear it. What a fantastic performance.
Random45Dec 19, 2013 10:40 AM
Dec 19, 2013 11:21 AM

Sep 2012
Midorikawa Hikaru is king.
I can't imagine how much better received this episode was simply because of how voice acting. If it was as weak as the VN by comparison, I don't think I would've felt any emotion at all when I watched it, but I got chills and it seriously felt like he was crying when I watched it.
Dec 19, 2013 11:49 AM

Jun 2012
So many KEYfags here, it's impressive xD

Oh and, sorry, but I liked the anime adaptation of clannad the most...
Dec 19, 2013 11:52 AM

Jul 2013
Kanapesh said:

http://cdn.weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ur-gay-gif.gif
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Dec 19, 2013 11:58 AM

Sep 2012
Kanapesh said:

It's okay.
You're still a bro for having Kyousuke on your favorites and reading hella VNs.
Dec 20, 2013 1:29 AM

Sep 2012
For me, Kyousuke's part is the only scene in anything I've watched that hits me harder after every subsequent re-watch. First time: Yeah pretty good, no tears though. nth time: ;_;
Midorikawa, deserves a medal.
Dec 29, 2013 8:33 PM

Sep 2012
Definitely LB for me. Only Anime that hit so hard I picked up a VN. (Though I am heavily considering picking up some more)

Also, Most of ~Refrain's adaptation didn't quite hit home (I'll get back after a marathon) but that scene had me bawling harder than anything else in LB, and I certainly HAVE lost my diginity many times because of LB...

smilewolfy said:
I think one factor would be what people cherish more, family or friendship.

Smilewolfy hits on the money I think. I value family, but right now I have no plans of making one of my own, so friends (especially ones that would care enough to quickly sacrifice themselves for you like all three of the bros did) mean the world to me.

Hence, Little Busters hits home more than anything else.

[If I didn't think that, then I would have just wasted the last 3 days trying to make it through Rin2 onward (-_- ) ( T.T ) ]
Dec 29, 2013 11:02 PM

Jan 2013
The vibe I get from this thread: "I'm sooo superior to all ya'll! I'm on that VN shit! YOU ALL ARE FAGS! G O M L!"

I can't even put down a serious personal opinion because of the overflow of bias xD
Please send me a message/profile comment since I will most likely not check my forum posts. Thank you.
Dec 29, 2013 11:17 PM

Sep 2012
made the thread before Refrain's anime farewells were even animated.
I made it to prove that as great of a job as Clannad did with KyoAni, Little Busters stood strong as a VN, specifically in Refrain.
It's the better version of the story for Little Busters, and comparing Refrain in the VN to people's experience with KyoAni's adaptation of Clannad is fair, because it's for most people who have seen both.
Little Busters would have to go far in order to top that entire episode 18 of After Story for people, and despite the forums being full of LB fans, you'll see a lot of people with Clannad After Story in their top favorites as well. It's not just full of people who shit on Clannad because it's not Little Busters.

Clannad's scene was really emotional, and I wanted to see if people felt that Refrain's farewells were comparable. I even helped Clannad out a bit by mentioning that they could choose Nagisa or Ushio's death, as there were some people who found that to be more emotional than the flowefield and reminiscence.

There's no fair way to do this poll, because if I went to a discussion for anime in general to make it, Clannad's anime is 20x more popular than Little Busters, and the anime pales in comparison to the VN, so the polls would be at least 90% in favor of Clannad.

So yeah, this poll wasn't to compare each anime with each other, or even each anime's adaptation of those scenes with each other.
I wouldn't dare to make that thread, because Clannad would win even in these forums if we're comparing the anime quality.
Dec 30, 2013 3:25 AM

May 2010
I love Clannad but Little Busters ending was easy to understand plus awesome, I really loved seeing all the characters back together, such a warm feeling..
Dec 30, 2013 3:28 AM

Sep 2013
Anime Adaptation:
Clannad > Little Busters (JC Staff Shit)

VN:
Little Busters > Clannad

Sorry, but the anime of LB! was ruined by JC Staff. only way they going to sell a lot of BD/DVD's is because of the bundled OVA's that come with it.
Dec 30, 2013 4:31 AM

May 2010
Definitely After Story, you know. I was rewatching it at the same time while watching LB! and there's big emotional difference between these two. The scene which hit me the most this time was when Tomoya recalls the time he spend with his father when he was a kid, and realizes that he wasn't such a bad guy. It was even stronger than Ushio x Tomoya's scene imo.

Boys' farawell was also amazing, but didn't make my cry THAT much.
Dec 30, 2013 5:58 AM

Oct 2009
As much as JC Staff tried to bring it together, I was expecting as much UMF in drama as KyoAni... so I guess I was let down. Being a fan of all Clannad, Kanon and Air...

Clannad had an over all impact for me [anime wise]
but while playing Little Busters! I just can't help but

*tear* click *tears* click *more tears*

while playing XDDD
Dec 30, 2013 9:27 AM
Apr 2013
DeathyZA said:

Sorry, but the anime of LB! was ruined by JC Staff. only way they going to sell a lot of BD/DVD's is because of the bundled OVA's that come with it.

Completely forgetting the first season sold well without any extra OVAs, are we?

Anyway, I of course I like the "Parting of the boys, both anime and VN. In fact I love it more here in the anime for some bloody fantastic work by Yui Horie and Hikaru Midorikawa. And I of course like what comes after more than in Clannad, cause you know, no deus ex machina travel back in time....... Which is still stupid btw.
MCALDec 30, 2013 9:32 AM
Dec 30, 2013 9:34 AM

Sep 2013
Season 1 sold well? This must be key magic working in, cause fuck Season 1 was horrible.
Dec 30, 2013 9:49 AM
Jun 2013
Season 1 wasn't that bad. I agree the art/animation quality is pretty low and the comedy is weak most of the time (sleepover/boys playing's episode being an exception). Some characters are a bit messed up also (Masato...), but there were some damn good idea. Kyousuke always watching over Riki, KomaRin's relationship's improvement, subtle hints like Riki waking up after completing a route and other stuffs in Kud's route, episode 25 better than the short passage Miyuki had in the VN...

It could have been way better for sure, but it still deserves a 8 or, at least, a 7 for me.
Dec 30, 2013 9:57 AM

Sep 2013
Ol-Hybrius said:
Season 1 wasn't that bad. I agree the art/animation quality is pretty low and the comedy is weak most of the time (sleepover/boys playing's episode being an exception). Some characters are a bit messed up also (Masato...), but there were some damn good idea. Kyousuke always watching over Riki, KomaRin's relationship's improvement, subtle hints like Riki waking up after completing a route and other stuffs in Kud's route, episode 25 better than the short passage Miyuki had in the VN...

It could have been way better for sure, but it still deserves a 8 or, at least, a 7 for me.

Lol i gave it a 9/10, but that was before I did the VN, after I did the VN I gave the anime adaptation a 7/10, Wouldve been better if the animation quality didnt suck shit! But I agree that some parts in the anime were better then the VN, but that doesent make it that worthwhile as its only a few pieces.
Dec 30, 2013 10:01 AM

Sep 2012
Season 1 sold 10.5k BDs average.
They came in 9 volumes of 3 episodes each, 2 episodes in the final volume. The OVA was a mail-in thing where you had to send in tickets from each of the 9 volumes before like September or October 2013 in order to receive the OVA.

Season 2 is selling at a higher retail price per BD disk. I think the retail is close to 9600yen, but it's lower on Amazon, but still a higher price than s1 from what I've seen.
Each BD has 3 episodes total.
V1-6 have 2 episodes + 1 EX episode.
V7 has episode 13 and the last EX route. (Salami-san)

And yeah, despite this, the BD preorder count is close to where it was for season 1. Pretty sure Warner Bros. is cashing out on LB regardless, since people say that an anime has to sell like 2-5k BDs to break even, and Little Busters is pretty average when it comes to quality.
Dec 30, 2013 10:09 AM
Jun 2013
DeathyZA said:
Ol-Hybrius said:

Lol i gave it a 9/10, but that was before I did the VN, after I did the VN I gave the anime adaptation a 7/10, Wouldve been better if the animation quality didnt suck shit! But I agree that some parts in the anime were better then the VN, but that doesent make it that worthwhile as its only a few pieces.

You said you gave it a 9/10 before reading the VN. An adaptation isn't made to please VN readers in the first place, but to introduce the story to a wider audience (and make some money in the process, of course). Like you, I read the VN after watching season 1, so I think the adaptation did well in this way. Also, Refrain's adaptation pleased some anime-only viewer so I'm also glad about it. Some of them may even want to go through the VN afterward. As for myself, I did enjoy the whole anime, even if it's still not a match for the original material.
Dec 30, 2013 10:24 AM

Sep 2012
I'm upset that what was probably my favorite of the bro arcs, and the one I was looking forward to the most turned out like this.
http://imgur.com/a/DAnYs

I couldn't enjoy these interpretations of the story, and I'm still baffled at some of these decisions from the company aside from it being 13 episodes of varying budget.
Dec 30, 2013 10:38 AM
Jun 2013
Vladz0r said:
I'm upset that what was probably my favorite of the bro arcs, and the one I was looking forward to the most turned out like this.
http://imgur.com/a/DAnYs

I couldn't enjoy these interpretations of the story, and I'm still baffled at some of these decisions from the company aside from it being 13 episodes of varying budget.

I agree. Masato's arc in the VN is nothing like it is in the anime. Nope, Masato himself isn't the same in both. The arc lacks of explanation and monologue, all we get in the anime is that Masato was a stupid boy who became the strongest before Kyousuke beat him up to make him join the Little Busters!. We didn't get to feel the despair and loneliness he faced while he was a kid. The kinniku dance was cute/funny but a bit too much in my opinion. It's just like he made this tomfoolery on purpose, which wasn't the case back then. There were so many strong words in the last scene of his arc, and JC Staff sumed up all those into three lines. That was still emotional, but far from the feels it conveyed in the VN. Anyway, if anime-only viewers were pleased with that, as I said before, I think it's fine. Hopefully they'll go through the VN to get the full (/true) experience.
Dec 30, 2013 12:26 PM
Apr 2013
You know while I guess I can see why people are still hung up on that (Not that Masato was looking so good at a few points in the VN), the whole entire chase scene wasn't the most important part of his route anyway (And he was carrying a gigantic statue on his back). Wasn't it Masato's flashback scene where Jun Maeda does a sort of deconstruction of the idiot best friend. As far as I remember JC Staff didn't cut anything from the flashback.

http://randomc.net/2013/11/23/little-busters-refrain-08/

Clearly the notion that JC Staff ruined any possibility that one can tell what Maeda was trying to tell us about Masato is wrong.
MCALDec 30, 2013 12:32 PM
Dec 30, 2013 12:38 PM

Sep 2012
Sigh...
Changing the presentation of the information changes the impact of the deconstruction. People didn't even overwhelmingly like the episode, when Masato was a favorite in the VN. It was seen as one of the worst episodes in the entire show. Your whole mentality "No info was cut, so it's good..."
Simply put, I hate that mentality with every fiber of my being.

If you don't think that seeing Masato struggling during his rampage and having eyes that looked so dead in the VN wasn't an important aspect to his character, I'd ask you to consider how that parallels the young Masato's tiredness and rampage, or at least, it was supposed to parallel that, and it seemed like an epic shonuen battle that didn't pack the proper tension in order to relate to help relate to and understand character. JC Staff did a lot of hints for Kyousuke to show that his antagonism was half hearted, and that he was suffering on the inside. They didn't do it even as well as the VN for Masato.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE56NGAMlZU
That song was for things like this. Riki didn't even feel that uneasy that Masato was turning against everyone. The text had some hints like "Masato can't be a bad guy!" but that doesn't translate well when we have this fight that Riki and Rin seem excited to have.

It could've been better done, because I didn't see people exactly relating to Masato that well from the forum discussion.
The deconstruction attempt was underwhelming in the anime.
I'm not even asking for the impossible like increasing the length of Masato's delusions, but jeez, they didn't even go back to explain why Masato went on a rampage in the first place later on in Kyousuke's arc.
It's a 21 minute episode, and we're supposed to suddenly feel for Masato all of a sudden. They could've set it up much better.

There, I managed to withhold my personal hatred and explain why I feel the execution is weak.
Vladz0rDec 30, 2013 1:09 PM
Feb 11, 2015 8:06 PM
Dec 2014
LB!: Refrain hands down.

Not that both anime aren't excellent of course.
Sep 3, 2016 12:40 AM
Aug 2014
Tasuku_ said:
NeoAnkara said:
I choose LB because I don't like Nagisa though I like Ushio.

Same here, i don't like Shitgisa but I love Ushio ;-; and BROsuke, MasaBRO and KenBRO are so fucking awesome and that scene really hit me hard so my votes is for them ;___;

Entire Little Busters at a 1/10. Alright.
Mar 28, 2017 9:25 PM
Jan 2010
I gotta say LB and Clannad are the only VNs that I've ever played

Storywise, Refrain was way more shocking and powerful. I was really intrigued by the 'illusionary world' in Clannad but for the life of me, in the end I couldn't find it as deep as I wanted it to be, but for me Refrain was really meaningful and strong. I could be biased because I didn't like Nagisa much and I did like Rin, but I still think LB's story is way stronger.

But I'll tell you something that makes Clannad more 'sad' and that almost no one pays attention to this detail: the fucking sound track. Don't get me wrong Little Busters' music is great but Clannad's change of sound was really absurd, especially on the VN, it's not even close, it was capable of making a small sad moment turn into a heartbreaking moment.

Also, I gotta say I liked Clannad's school life better, Masato is great but he has nothing on Sunohara. Not even to mention that no girl in LB compares to Tomoyo.

When talking about the animes, I think Clannad had a better flow overall, ESPECIALLY season 1, LB's season 1 was really avarage...Clannad season 1 was great, I didn't like how all the LB's routes were all presented in order, Clannad did tie some routes together and it had a positive outcome in the end.

So I think Clannad was a little bit stonger overall but if we are to compare the true endings, I gotta say Refrain is the winner
GBcrazyMar 28, 2017 11:58 PM
Mar 28, 2017 9:37 PM

Jan 2014
Little Busters Refrain EASILY

I did not like Nagisa at all in Clannad, so it didn't affect me at all
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2013

539 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Vladz0r - Dec 21, 2013

372 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2013

352 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2013

230 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Little Busters!: Refrain Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2013

186 by CrazyButNot4U »»
May 16, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.