Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 4, 2022 11:05 PM

Feb 2021
The ending was pretty good but most of the beginning and middle was pretty boring tbh. Since I liked the ending I'll be generous and give it a 6/10
May 8, 2022 4:43 PM

Jul 2016
Ending credit the e reminds me of paprika.
Sep 2, 2022 5:41 AM

Jan 2021
Satoshi Kon is truly a master at what he does. The fact that this is the movie that succeeded the masterpiece that is Perfect Blue yet it was able to hold up to its quality tells you enough about his brilliant mind. The idea of a woman who met a man that shaped the rest of her life despite knowing hardly a thing about him seems too bewildering of a plot but somehow I understood her and rooted for her. That ending was absolutely beautiful. Chasing after an idea rather the actual person that said idea revolved around was a very nice and cool concept. Loved how the woman finally reconciled with her past buried feelings on her deathbed and moved on. Not to mention the animation and presentation of this movie that was only made possible because of Satoshi Kon's artistry. Genuinely a masterpiece to me almost on the same level as Perfect Blue. A solid 9/10
Oct 12, 2022 7:06 AM

May 2016
Was lucky enough to watch this in the cinema a few days ago, it was an incredible experience. Laughed and cried. My favourite movie. :)

Satoshi Kon's genius was as clear as ever. Such a well crafted movie - everything is connected, and no time or line or scene is wasted or feels overplayed. And the editing!! The editing and general playfulness of the presentation makes it so easy to become entranced in Chiyoko's life story. The two male leads/documentary makers play such great audience inserts, for both types of people watching. My friend who'd never previously watched an anime movie, let alone a Japanese movie, was shocked how much he loved it - as much as any other.

It helps that Satoshi Kon always made full use of the medium of animation. His films practically scream the freedoms of it. For this movie it also helps to understand that it is more about the power and nature of art than 'just the power of love'. Or at least, the connection between the two--and the demons once can face in the pursuit of it. Be it the oppressiveness of the time, or the fear of losing oneself to time... Both are beaten and overcome through the connections art creates (from the painter and his painting to Chiyoko and her acting, and from Chiyoko and her acting to the documentary maker and his own lifelong pursuit). Art is eternal, even if it is all but a distant memory.

perfect/10.
ZaugrOct 12, 2022 7:37 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2022 1:22 PM

Dec 2020
This was...amazing. I love how the different scenes flowed, connecting everything together as the film reached its end. The editing was fantastic and I like how both Tachibana and Ida were involved in the scenes. It is easy to become engrossed in Chiyoko's life. I teared up a bit at the end...
I am glad she was able to find herself, through her film. And again, rediscover the old Chiyoko during the last days of her life.

This reminded me of how many interesting and beautiful stories have been forgotten...
Every single person lives a different life. Meets different people. Experiences different things, emotions. But there is no one to document their life. No one to remember them. Lost to time. Maybe in decades, centuries or millennia, everyone will be forgotten and replaced by new people with new experiences...as the past makes way for the future.
Oct 29, 2022 8:26 AM

May 2021
Another mediocre work by Kon, what a clumsy movie, the director was unbearable and the Assistant was decent tbf, the "romance" or whatever you call that was lame, the main plot ridiculous, the last message was corny and the use of imaginary resources was cheap, 3/10 and definitely not worth watching.
Nov 1, 2022 10:44 AM

Mar 2022
Words can't describe how i adore this movie, literally just finished it 15 minutes. Just a mesmerizing experience. Seriously one of the best movies ive ever watched period.
Feb 17, 2023 8:04 PM
Apr 2019
Really good film, I don't know why Mal is asking an episode 1 response when it's a movie though
Apr 14, 2023 8:33 AM

Sep 2020
I have a mix feeling about this anime. 6/10
Apr 16, 2023 1:31 PM
Mar 2023
I thought the way the story was presented visually was Amazing. I especially enjoyed the Director and his assistant interacting with the film(s).

I was some-what confused through out the movie, and the lack of a true ending (in my opinion) seemed like a flaw to me. I did find it enjoyable enough to give it a 7/10.
Jul 15, 2023 3:54 AM

Aug 2013
What a clusterfuck of a movie.

Its about reliving a story of old regarding a lost love it seems?

But honestly, the story isn't told well. Its like the writers tried to add more depth to the story by telling it in the way they did. Which in my opinion did not accomplish more depth. What it did accomplish though was stretching out the story and giving it a hint of confusement.

It kinda baffles me this has such a high score.

Would not recommend.

LimiJul 26, 2023 11:23 AM
Jul 26, 2023 8:38 AM
Jul 2023
Limi said:
What a clusterfuck of a movie.

Its about reliving a story of old regarding a lost love it seems?

But honestly, the story isn't told well. Its like the writers tried to add more depth to the story by telling it in the way they did. Which in my opinion did not accomplish more depth. What it did accomplish though was stretching out the story and giving it a hunt of confusement maybe.

It kinda baffles me this has such a high score.

Would not recommend.

Thanks for telling the most braindead take about a movie you didn't get one bit.
Oct 4, 2023 7:44 AM
Jul 2020
I think this is something that is exaggerated. The storyline is not that deep, just exaggerated to make it look poetic. I'm a bit bored watching it but there are interesting things too. 6/10

Dec 27, 2023 4:44 AM

Aug 2022
Watched it last night and it's great! Kon's shows his love for Japanese cinema here really well!
Mar 11, 8:59 PM

Dec 2022
wow yeah that's a masterpiece. a love note to cinema. took self-referentialism to a whole different level. definitely inspired by Mulholland Drive and then went on to HEAVILY inspire Inland Empire. two of my favorite films, crazy to see how well this fits between them. also some Joyce influence weaved throughout. and this clearly inspired Nolan's work as well, Interstellar comes to mind.
well i don't get paid to be an amateur film and literary analysis critic so that's all, yes it's good.
Mar 14, 11:19 PM
Dec 2022
More Satoshi Kon yippee

Movie pretty cool, I love the way the story is told, probably have seen that kind of storytelling like once before
May 29, 7:20 PM

Aug 2023
like a pleasant, yet bittersweet dream
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Correlation with "Magnetic rose"

ManuelK06 - Oct 29, 2018

1 by troilus_05s »»
Oct 14, 2022 1:27 PM

» Original Dub is Better than 2019 Dub

Brittaman12 - Jun 4, 2022

2 by Brittaman12 »»
Jun 5, 2022 8:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.