Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jul 27, 2020 2:14 AM

Jan 2010
Going into Clannad: After Story, the ending of the first series left me with relatively high hopes. At the time, it felt a few steps ahead of other Key/Visual Arts stories I've seen, but while Clannad was definitely an upgrade in terms of visuals and its cohesive narrative, I couldn't definitively call it great. I still had my gripes about the first series feeling a bit dragged out, and going into After Story, I had similar feelings throughout its first quarter.

Well, upon finishing episode 13, I'm glad that everything's finally coming together. I started to see the narrative threads start to converge a few episodes back when story began focusing solely on Tomoya, Nagisa, and the Furukawas. Tomoya's and Nagisa's marriage isn't just a huge milestone in the anime, it's also one of the few times I've ever seen an anime introduce a couple, develop them into marriage, and still continue forward into them living as a family. Not only that, but the memories of high school really hit hard, where slowly everyone departs to live on with their lives.

Your schoolmates and friends become distant, but not disconnected. You start using phrases like "long time no see" instead of a simple "good morning." Leaving school, you start desperately searching for a place to belong to, as you lose your familiar place in society. Work becomes a daunting gateway into the "real world" you've always been lectured about, and as you begin participating as a functional member of society, you slowly forget what cramming for exams or fooling around with friends were like. They become fragmented memories, replaced with the responsibilities associated with being an adult. Or, at least that's how it feels like.

I don't think anyone really outgrows their childhood completely, and even if you do, you can still get pulled back. Akio and Sanae retain their child-like antics as much as possible, while still acting as parents doing their best to ensure Nagisa grows up confident and strong. Still, that seeing that sense of nostalgia develop in real time in Clannad really hurts to watch. As Tomoya started working, time seemed to fly forward at a breakneck pace. Individual days stop mattering as much, and important days become markers in between long stretches of daily tasks and chores. Life really goes fast when you're no longer writing dates on the corner of worksheets.

Clannad isn't just a romance or a story about having a family. It's about the initial roots of family, the development of families, retaining family, cherishing family, and departing from family. Throughout Clannad, all manner of families have been shown, ranging from happy close knit ones, to ones that were broken and then reformed, and to ones that were irreversibly broken. Every character has a family, and every one of their families have a different situation to overcome. Unfortunately, and realistically, not all of those families could manage a happy ending. However, life goes on, one way or another, and for now, I'm going to take a break before continuing to watch Tomoya's and Nagisa's family move forward as well.

God damn, after 36 episodes Clannad finally hit me. It took a while, but I'm finally a fan of the series.
Sep 5, 2020 3:41 AM

May 2020
Nagisa getting drunk lmao. That part had me craking up. Tomoya and Nagisa getting married. So awesome.
Oct 11, 2020 3:41 AM

Jun 2020
Nagisa finally graduated, and when she was drunk she was so damn cute there, and it was unexpected to see that they are already gonna marry each other well I guess that's ok for me, and it looks like that Okazaki's dad is most likely changing? Maybe I don't know.
Nov 7, 2020 8:54 AM

Jan 2020
This was a nice episode. Seeing everyone after so long + the graduation scene was great

Feb 13, 2021 1:36 PM

Apr 2017
Drunk Nagisa is absolutely adorable.

I'm so glad that everyone gathered to celebrate Nagisa's graduation.
cunnysseur
Mar 9, 2021 10:42 PM
May 2019
This was a great episode. I loved how they had the make shift graduation and everything. And the part with the ring at the end was done so well. Net does not disappoint with there VN adaptations.
Mar 11, 2021 2:13 PM
Mar 2021
I really enjoyed this episode, the part where Nagisa got drunk was priceless. I am starting to like Nagisa more and more each episode, in the first season I felt like she lacked personality, all she did was cry and I wasn't a big fan of how her character was developed considering that she was the main love interest in season 1. The only real complaint that I have about this episode is that the whole season but especially this episode is weirdly paced and it bothers me just a little bit. It doesn't bother me to the point where I find it unenjoyable I just find it weird. Overall I rated this episode a 4/5.
Jun 14, 2021 5:51 AM

Jul 2020
rain or shin, Akio still does smoke hahaha

Glad Nagisa finally graduated. omedetou

I wasn't prepared for their marriage though but things going really well for now.
Jan 18, 2022 4:51 PM

Jan 2016
Bruh really? Settling something as important as marriage with a baseball game? IK it is meant to be funny but can this please not take more than one ep?

"Please give Nagisa to me" bruh she ain't an object. Lol sorry for ruining the mood. I mean Okazaki did have the passions to practice even in the rain.

Looks like they married. I finally got to see Sunohara and Kotomi again so that's a plus. Glad the baseball crap was over. I enjoyed the graduation for Nagisa and the fact that they married. Still think something bad is about to happen.
Sulfur2Jan 18, 2022 5:00 PM
May 12, 2022 9:53 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Well f*ck. I'm tearing up (just a LITTLE ok) even from this episode. If you don't see any posts from me later on, then I probably did not survive

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 7, 2022 2:42 AM

Jul 2021
Omg look at Nagisa, she's looking like someone's wife now. So cute.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 24, 2022 10:45 PM

Jul 2022
Hey, nothing sad happened in this episode, so... why am I crying?
Of happiness obviously

When the father congratulated them on their marriage and told Nagisa to take care of Tomoya, I couldn't help but feel very happy and shed some tears. He's not the best father but he's not bad either, he just collapsed and couldn't get back on his feet.
Dec 20, 2022 9:41 PM
Feb 2021
Worst episode of the good ones by far. The two of them being married without without even kissing, well, it's quite indicative of the naivety about love this show has shown thus far. Making your entire life about one person not only unjustly puts pressure on that person, but also will leave the person doing so with nothing in the event that they lose their loved one. If Nagisa dies, which is where the series seems to be headed, it'll be hard to feel bad for Tomoya because he was setting himself up to feel like death. That's not to say that he shouldn't completely disregard Nagisa as if she means nothing, but he should put himself into a position where he still has something left without Nagisa. I guess they're gonna have kids, so that'll be something.
Mar 6, 2023 10:19 AM
Feb 2023
Congrats Nagisa!
Mar 17, 2023 6:32 PM
Mar 2023
WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY BOY SUNOHARA
Mar 29, 2023 9:10 PM

Dec 2012
In the years since I last watched Clannad, Nagisa's graduation really speaks to me on a whole new level. In particular, Nagisa's struggle with repeating and feeling left behind hit so much harder this time around. It makes her graduation ceremony even more uplifting with everyone being able to come together to support her, showing that she hasn't been abandoned or forgotten. The line that still gets me the most is when Nagisa says "I may be weak, but I want to live strongly." This embodies so much of what I've come to adore about her character and how much Clannad has meant to me throughout all of these years.
Apr 30, 2023 11:01 PM
Apr 2019
Great and wholesome just like most episodes so far.
Jul 3, 2023 11:42 PM

Jun 2021
YES YES YES YES YES YEEEEEEEEEEES THEY'VE MARRIED YEAH BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO LET'S GO PEOPLE HAHAAAAA
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Aug 6, 2023 11:44 AM

Apr 2021
Tomoya-kun doesn't give up on someone he loves so much, it was great.

good that everyone followed in graduation.

what will be Tomoya-kun with his new wife?.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1171 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jello - Mar 8, 2009

285 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 11, 2009

135 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

quentinlau - Feb 19, 2009

177 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

728 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 6:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.