Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 27, 2013 5:43 PM

Feb 2008
I enjoyed the first episode, but the second episode had me go: "Waitaminute... didn't we just see this... yeah definitely saw this before". I read through some of the reviews here and confirmed what I thought. It's episodic and almost all episodes are the same. Granted, not Haruhi Endless Eight (please God no) the same, but there's no real story progression.
I like the style. I like the characters and the fact that it's creepy (as far as an anime can be creepy of course), but I'm not planning to mind numbingly watch 26 episodes with basically the same format and no progression whatsoever.

So my question is: which episodes can I skip and when does the story become interesting? I read somewhere "around episode 20", but I'd like a more exact number.
Mar 28, 2013 11:51 AM

Feb 2010
AeonsLegend said:
I enjoyed the first episode, but the second episode had me go: "Waitaminute... didn't we just see this... yeah definitely saw this before". I read through some of the reviews here and confirmed what I thought. It's episodic and almost all episodes are the same. Granted, not Haruhi Endless Eight (please God no) the same, but there's no real story progression.
I like the style. I like the characters and the fact that it's creepy (as far as an anime can be creepy of course), but I'm not planning to mind numbingly watch 26 episodes with basically the same format and no progression whatsoever.

So my question is: which episodes can I skip and when does the story become interesting? I read somewhere "around episode 20", but I'd like a more exact number.
My words exactly... I watched the first episode and while it was boring I liked the theme and ranked 8, then the 2nd episode was exactly the very same thing but the characters had even less depth and the story was even more boring... 7

Just watched the 3rd episode... and I finally ranked the anime with a 5, the story was boring and predictable, the plot was shadowed and a 10 years old kid could come up with something better...

If it keeps like this I'm going to drop this anime before the 10th episode, if it wasn't for the super interesting theme and art I'd have done it episode 1. Can someone please enlighten me on whether does this anime get better or not?
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Mar 29, 2013 3:36 AM

Mar 2013
Hah, I though so too. I have just watched 9th episode. From the first I like a climat prevailing in this anime. Mysteries, riddles I like that. As you wrote every next episode was worst than previous one for me too.

We can without any problems divide episode into parts, cause every is the same. The beginning, opening, introduce character, write a message to Hell Girl... etc.
I could tolarate that, but even some scenes are taken alive from earlier ep.

The mystery around Hell Girl is still unexplained. Really authors could lift us the veil of secrecy.

Why all eps is identical? By 9 eps Ai only add 2 sentences to her typical statement.
Would it improve? I heard that 14 episode is quite touching. We'll see.

There is a second season, but I don't know if I will be able to watch it if it won't change.
"The time is out of joint; O cursed spite,
That ever I was born to set it right!"
~ Hamlet
Mar 29, 2013 4:00 AM
Jul 2018
In my less discerning days I watched all three seasons. It's still basically the same show from first to last episode tbh. They do go into Ai's backstory near the end of Season 1, which is best bit of the show. JGS takes procedural to a whole 'nother level :P
Mar 29, 2013 6:01 AM

Feb 2010
deadleeserious said:
In my less discerning days I watched all three seasons. It's still basically the same show from first to last episode tbh. They do go into Ai's backstory near the end of Season 1, which is best bit of the show. JGS takes procedural to a whole 'nother level :P

Thank you for the information. I'll drop the anime in this case.
Mar 29, 2013 6:22 AM

Mar 2013
deadleeserious said:

I'm watching it now. I have just finished 14 episode. Anime is very schematic, but I can say that some situations are interesting. Mostly when ppl are considering of taking revenge, not just doing it. Almost there was a happy end story, where girls became reconciled.

Anime changes a little from first episode, maybe isn't addictive but I can't judge it for less than 5.

I hate dropping anime so although I'll finish this season.
"The time is out of joint; O cursed spite,
That ever I was born to set it right!"
~ Hamlet
Mar 29, 2013 6:29 AM
May 2012
As I can't disagree that the episodes are somewhat repetitive, it's a good anime if you enjoy this kind of stuff, but if you're looking for a plot and story with a main character of sorts, then you won't find it.

I personally loved the series, as it was a big change from some of the previous mystery/suspense/supernatural/etc. anime I've seen in the past. You might also find it tolerable if you enjoy slice of life anime to an extent, because Jigoku Shoujo might even come off as that to some.
Mar 29, 2013 8:18 AM

Feb 2008
So is there any specific episode I can pick this show up or is the general consensus to just drop it and move to greener pastures?
Apr 22, 2013 10:18 AM

Feb 2010
AeonsLegend said:
So is there any specific episode I can pick this show up or is the general consensus to just drop it and move to greener pastures?

It's an episodic anime, so every episode will be the same thing just with diff characters and their problems.

From a Kamina fan's perspective? Drop and never look back.
Apr 22, 2013 10:25 AM

Feb 2012
AeonsLegend said:
but I'm not planning to mind numbingly watch 26 episodes with basically the same format and no progression whatsoever.
Then you're missing the point of the show. If you don't want an episodic show then don't watch one. Skipping to episode 20 is ridiculous.
Apr 22, 2013 11:10 AM

Apr 2011
I watched the first season and like someone mentioned the backstory at the end of that season is the best part of the series. I want to watch the other seasons, it's a shame if it uses the same formula the whole time. That show has a lot of potential, sounds like it doesn't quite live up to it.
Apr 22, 2013 11:18 AM

Feb 2012
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
That show has a lot of potential, sounds like it doesn't quite live up to it.
It completely lives up to everything that it tries to be. Watching an episodic show and then complaining that its episodic is just dumb.
May 4, 2013 3:29 AM

Feb 2008
In the end, I decided to drop the show altogether. It's not the episodic nature that bothers me. I've seen plenty of shows which are episodic that are amazing. It's just that the episodes are too similar for me. No big deal.

Slyr3do0n said:
AeonsLegend said:
but I'm not planning to mind numbingly watch 26 episodes with basically the same format and no progression whatsoever.
Then you're missing the point of the show. If you don't want an episodic show then don't watch one. Skipping to episode 20 is ridiculous.
Skipping to a certain episode is only possible with an episodic anime so your argument is not valid.

Slyr3do0n said:
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
That show has a lot of potential, sounds like it doesn't quite live up to it.
It completely lives up to everything that it tries to be. Watching an episodic show and then complaining that its episodic is just dumb.
I think you're missing the point in taco's argument. He says the show could have been better if there was more focus on different aspects. This can be done while still being episodic. Cowboy Bebop was episodic, but each episode was different so you could enjoy it. The complaint is that each episode is too similar. That is a fair complaint.

I think it's safe to say that the setup of this show is not for everyone. There's no point to fight eachother over having different needs in anime. The fact that a certain person does not like this anime because of certain aspects should be respected and not mindlessly assaulted from a fanboy point of view.
Nov 11, 2022 7:05 PM
Dec 2017
i watched all of the episodes just to see how stupid it can get and yep it does get stupid alrigt.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Chilli-Kun - Jan 31, 2008

79 by JoaoPedru »»
May 13, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

B25Mitch - Nov 2, 2008

72 by JoaoPedru »»
May 13, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

redbuzz - May 8, 2008

69 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Predseln - Apr 16, 2009

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 30, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Episode 11 Discussion

Moonfrost - Sep 19, 2009

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Mar 29, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.