Forums
New
Dec 15, 2008 7:41 PM

Jan 2008
Post your suggestions here.

Please include:
-Title
-Any directly connected series/movies/ovas
-Reason it should be added (why is this series important/relevent to anime history, in terms of story, development, art form, characters, archtypes, etc)

Mr_PandaDec 15, 2008 9:37 PM
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 31, 2009 3:32 PM

Sep 2007
Project A-Ko [ova]
-parody series references a number of other works of anime from the 1970s and 1980s.

Slam Dunk [manga]
-It was first published in Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump in Japan and has sold over 100 million copies in Japan alone. In 1995, it received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōnen and in 2007 was declared Japan's favorite manga.
Jan 31, 2009 9:44 PM

Jan 2008
A-ko is already on there. ^_^ But Slam Dunk looks like a worthy addition. Added.

Cheers.
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Dec 4, 2009 1:27 PM
Jan 2009
Alakazam The Great! (The Monkey King) aired 1960
http://myanimelist.net/anime/4481/The_Monkey_King
its a really cool retro anime movie that not many people know about it is similar to Dragonball.
Dec 7, 2009 6:22 AM

Jan 2008
Works for me. I actually just picked-up a VHS copy this past month.
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Feb 27, 2010 5:09 AM
Oct 2008
Yoshiro Tatsumi's The Push Man and Other Stories
http://myanimelist.net/manga/3874/The_Push_Man_and_Other_Stories
Related Manga: Good-Bye, Abandon the Old in Tokyo (All are a collection of short stories)

Coined the term Gekiga (Meaning Dramatic Pictures) and created a movement to create more mature works aimed at an adult audience.

If you need a little more info on Gekiga, see this club:

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=12945

BTW, awesome club you have here.
Mar 19, 2010 4:09 AM

Jan 2008
Forgot all about Push Man. Glad I'm not the only one that's read some of Tatsumi's work. Gladly added.
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Apr 23, 2010 6:58 PM

Jan 2010
Fist of the North Star and Kinnikuman were both hugely influential on the whole shonen fighting genre, so I think that they both merit additions.
Apr 26, 2010 8:25 AM

Jan 2008
Hokuto no Ken is already on the list. Kinnikuman looks like it's worth adding though.
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
May 2, 2010 5:53 PM

Jan 2010
I found some new ones:
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure(Hugely popular shonen fighting series)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing(This was WAY more influential than Seed)
Saint Seiya(Was one of the first examples of the Neo-Shonen movement)
Black Jack(One of Osamu Tezuka's more famous works)
Giant Robo(One of Mitsuteru Yokoyama's more famous series)
Cyborg 009(Shotaro Ishinomori's huge library of famous superhero titles)
8 Man(Japan's first cyborg hero)
Ai no Kusabi(Critically acclaimed yaoi OVA)
Ambassador Magma(One of Tezuka's more famous works)
Android Kikaider(Another Ishinomori superhero)
Anpanman(Famous children's show ranked with Doraemon)
Appleseed(A huge hit in America)
Armored Trooper VOTOMS(Often said to be the best of all real robot series)
Babel Nisei(Another Yokoyam series)
Blood: The Last Vampire(A hugely successful OVA in America)
Captain Tsubasa(One of the more famous shonen sports series)
Shinzo Ningen Casshern(A popular tatsunoko Superhero show)
Castle in the Sky(Ghibli)
City Hunter(Another instrumental series in the creation of neo-shonen)
Combattler V(The first five person combining robot. Part 1 of the RRT)
Crayon Shin-Chan(Extremely Popular in japan)
Devilman(One of Go Nagai's Popular Series)
Dirty Pair(First Girls-with-guns series)
Dororo to Hiyakkimaru(A famous Tezuka series)
Dr. Slump: Arale-Chan(Akira Toriyama's first major success)
Elfen Lied(A very popular series)
Escaflowne(Critically acclaimed)
Excel Saga(Pioneer in the hyperactive anime comdefy genre)
Gaiking(Famous Go Nagai series)
GaoGaiGar(Often called the greatest super robot series ever made)
Getter Robo(The first combining robot/Go Nagai)
Golden Boy(Popular Ero-Comedy)
Golden Warrior: The Gold Lightan(Popular Tatsunoko Robot Series)
Gunsmith Cats(Often called the best Girls-with-Guns series)
Hyakujuu-Ou Golion(Localized into Voltron)
Kodomo no Omocha(Super popular series)
Kyoushoku Souku Guyver(Super Popular series)
Magic Knight Rayearth(One of CLAMP's more famous series)
My Neighbor Totoro(Ghibli)
Nadia, The Secret of Blue Water(Gainax's first TV series)
Ninja Scroll(Huge success in America)
Porco Rosso(Ghibli)
R.O.D. OVA(Huge Success in America)
Record of Lodoss War OVA(Pioneering High Fantasy Anime)
Robot Carnival(Critically Acclaimed)
Ronin Warriors(Brought in many new american fans)
Rurouni Kenshin(Hugely popular fighting series)
Sakigake!! Otokojuku(Pioneering delinquent anime series)
Samurai Champloo(Follow-Up to Cowboy Bebop)
Samurai Pizza Cats(Early Success in America)
Slayers(Early Success in America)
Space Adventure Cobra(Legendary Series in Japan)
Space Runaway Ideon(Precursor to Gundam)
Street Fighter II: The Movie(Early Success in America)
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu(Pioneering Moe Series)
Terra E....(Critically Acclaimed Sci-fi)
The Three Eyed One(One of Tezuka's more popular series)
The Urotsuki(generated a huge controversy in America)
Time Bokan(A hugely popular series in japan)
Tosho Daimos(Third series in the RRT)
Unico(Oneof tezuka's more popular series)
Vampire Hunter D(Huge success in america)
Violence Jack(Go Nagai)
Voltes V (Second series in the RRT)
Yatterman(Created the stereotypical three-villain team)

EDIT: Also, Hurricane Polymar(Hugely popular Tatsunoko Superhero Show).
PequeninoMikhailMay 2, 2010 6:16 PM
May 3, 2010 3:47 AM

Nov 2008
Patalliro! should be on the relations as one of the first TV anime to have shounen-ai themes in it.

The Guin Saga novel should be there as well as the longest running novel series by a single author. Kochira Katsushika-ku Kamearikouen-mae Hashutsujo should also be there for similar reasons, as it's the longest running manga series ever.

@PequeninoMikhail: I think that the focus of this club is on ground-breaking anime rather than listing every show with critical acclaim. LotGH is in the relations because it is the longest OVA series ever made, not because of it's critical acclaim.

I will let mr. Panda decide which ones should be in, though.

EDIT: I managed to get Mittsu no Hanashi accepted, so feel free to add it to the relations.
Rosa_FOEtidaMay 3, 2010 1:03 PM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
May 3, 2010 10:51 PM

Jan 2008
Critical acclaim can be a factor, depending on the nature. Usually it would have to be something fairly substantial though. Spirited Away's winning an Academy Award, Pokemon's earth-shattering impact in pop culture, or Doreamon's status as Japan's cultural ambassador are examples. I would also see merit in making a case that a given anime, while not being the first, was the one that brought a concept, archtype, or other such idea into the mainstream/public eye.

I'll filter through the list and see how many I can unravel. In the mean time: not sure about Patalliro just yet, but the two written-form entries look good.

Also: flygon is awesome (getting that into the database).

Also: I think you can add it on your own you know, but I did it. :p
Mr_PandaMay 3, 2010 10:57 PM
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
May 3, 2010 11:36 PM

Jan 2008
After reviewing Cyborg 009, I'm thinking of adding it in as the first "sentai" anime/manga. If anyone knows of a reason not to, let me know. Working on verifying some others.
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Jan 26, 2012 7:53 AM

Nov 2009
Ideon, and Ideon Be invocked,
because it's the first "Divine Mecha"
Dec 6, 2012 9:17 AM

Jan 2008
Could you define the "Divine Mecha" subgenre for consideration?
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Dec 6, 2012 9:21 AM
Mar 2011
Mr_Panda said:
After reviewing Cyborg 009, I'm thinking of adding it in as the first "sentai" anime/manga. If anyone knows of a reason not to, let me know. Working on verifying some others.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/4750/Jinzou_Ningen_Kikaida
First Henshin hero manga
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Dec 6, 2012 9:25 AM
Mar 2011
Tiger Mask had real life Pop Culture influence 7 real Wrestlers have used Either Tiger mask or black tiger as there gimmcik in real life
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Dec 6, 2012 9:26 AM
Mar 2011
Mr_Panda said:
Critical acclaim can be a factor, depending on the nature. Usually it would have to be something fairly substantial though. Spirited Away's winning an Academy Award, Pokemon's earth-shattering impact in pop culture, or Doreamon's status as Japan's cultural ambassador are examples. I would also see merit in making a case that a given anime, while not being the first, was the one that brought a concept, archtype, or other such idea into the mainstream/public eye.

I'll filter through the list and see how many I can unravel. In the mean time: not sure about Patalliro just yet, but the two written-form entries look good.

Also: flygon is awesome (getting that into the database).

Also: I think you can add it on your own you know, but I did it. :p

The Oscars a crap awards

Dec 6, 2012 9:29 AM
Mar 2011
Id add anything that had won the animage gran prix or finished top three in the anime or episode of the year

Dec 6, 2012 4:37 PM

Jan 2008
Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but in the interests of keeping the thread clean, could you condense everything into one post in the future? :P

I'm actually surprised Android Kikaider isn't already on there. Thought I had it. Then again, nothing's been updated in forever. I'll add it to things to do once the winter break hits.

>.> Whether or not you think the Oscar is a good award or not, it represents a historical milestone in recognition of the anime medium on an international scale.

I don't think winning the Animage Grand Prix would--necessarily--be a sufficient cause. While it's been around since the 70s, it's solely based on the readership of the magazine.
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Dec 6, 2012 4:43 PM
Mar 2011
Mr_Panda said:
Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but in the interests of keeping the thread clean, could you condense everything into one post in the future? :P

I'm actually surprised Android Kikaider isn't already on there. Thought I had it. Then again, nothing's been updated in forever. I'll add it to things to do once the winter break hits.

>.> Whether or not you think the Oscar is a good award or not, it represents a historical milestone in recognition of the anime medium on an international scale.

I don't think winning the Animage Grand Prix would--necessarily--be a sufficient cause. While it's been around since the 70s, it's solely based on the readership of the magazine.

nope is not there is industry vote for that award too i know that for a fact since i work there

and Plus i ahve many reason why on a purely Artsitc Level that the oscers are bad awards one of the biggest is the wrong Ghibil Film won two best director is a Joke Category
list of top class ones who never one
1 hitchcock
2 Kurosawa
3 Godard
4 Fellini
5 Kieślowski.
6 Kobayashi

DateYutakaDec 6, 2012 4:54 PM

Dec 7, 2012 12:36 PM

Jan 2008
The only source I have on Animage's selection method is the following excerpt:
"The Anime Grand Prix is annual prize decided by the readers' votes to the anime of the year. The Anime Grand Prix started in 1979, and the first prize was announced at the issue 1980 January, generally announced at the next year's June issue every year."

I can't find any sources that indicate the readers aren't the primary determiners of the ones that win. If you have any, by all means post for consideration. Under current circumstances, I could make an argument that the FIRST title to win the award has historical value (due to the mag's long run), but any subsequent titles there would need to be additional factors. Which--likely--there are for some of them.
DateYutaka said:

and Plus i ahve many reason why on a purely Artsitc Level that the oscers are bad awards one of the biggest is the wrong Ghibil Film won two best director is a Joke Category
1 hitchcock
2 Kurosawa
3 Godard
4 Fellini
5 Kieślowski.
6 Kobayashi

Kurosawa won two Oscars in his life, and was nominated on multiple occasions. Unless you're just referring to the Best Director award? He was nominated for that one, but didn't win. Even then, just being nominated is sufficient recognition of talent. I'm not sure what your beef with the Oscars is on this point. :(
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Dec 7, 2012 12:51 PM
Mar 2011
Mr_Panda said:
The only source I have on Animage's selection method is the following excerpt:
"The Anime Grand Prix is annual prize decided by the readers' votes to the anime of the year. The Anime Grand Prix started in 1979, and the first prize was announced at the issue 1980 January, generally announced at the next year's June issue every year."

I can't find any sources that indicate the readers aren't the primary determiners of the ones that win. If you have any, by all means post for consideration. Under current circumstances, I could make an argument that the FIRST title to win the award has historical value (due to the mag's long run), but any subsequent titles there would need to be additional factors. Which--likely--there are for some of them.
DateYutaka said:

1 hitchcock
2 Kurosawa
3 Godard
4 Fellini
5 Kieślowski.
6 Kobayashi

Kurosawa won two Oscars in his life, and was nominated on multiple occasions. Unless you're just referring to the Best Director award? He was nominated for that one, but didn't win. Even then, just being nominated is sufficient recognition of talent. I'm not sure
what your beef with the Oscars is on this point. :(

he none of the ones o listed won 1 Condpedtive Best Director Ocser thats a Beyond a Joke sorry bot That is that

and i Think takahata shpuld have at lest 2 Oscers tp his name Rintaro should have about 5 Anno at lest 2 but Disney and Dreamworks Dominate that at as a fellow lover of animation [ like i sense you to be] Cannot say Disney desives all them awards for making stuff that ha Stigmatized animation as for Kids[ while Talking down to the Kids] in the west and the fact that They have damaged the Voice acting Profession in the US
as a fellow historian you should be able to see that

Dec 8, 2012 9:51 AM

Jan 2008
When it comes to the Oscars, the first thing you have to do is get nominated. :p We're a bit off-topic since we're going outside the view of anime, but just to clear the air here a bit. Specifically in the case of Kurosawa, I recall that in the early portion of his career he was unpopular in the Japanese film industry, which resulted in his work not getting several nominations (they apparently have a say in the issue). I'm not as familiar with some of the other people on the list, but I do know Hitchcock's films received multiple awards including Best Picture. Just in defense of the Oscars here. But what I'd like to point out is I'm applying the same rule I said for Animage that I would use for the Oscars. The first anime to win a particular Oscar seems--to me--to make it important. It represents a groundbreaking event for that particular title, and for the anime industry to receive such a prestigious award for the first time. If additional anime win the same award, I would not consider that as historically relevant, and would likely not include them on the list if that was the only thing they contributed to history. :p I promise, I tend to be consistent with my rules for choosing.

Moving on...

I don't particularly resent Disney. I do resent the average consumer who often thinks cartoons are for kids, and so the world's greatest animation studio is locked into making stuff for kids/general audiences. Disney occasionally gets away with shifting out of that mold: see the Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Great Mouse Detective, and the Black Cauldron. If we're arguing on a purely artistic level, I don't have a problem with either Disney style or with their success.

And honestly, Dreamworks is just a bit of a joke. :p Give me Don Bluth over them any day.
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Dec 9, 2012 4:13 AM
Mar 2011
Mr_Panda said:
When it comes to the Oscars, the first thing you have to do is get nominated. :p We're a bit off-topic since we're going outside the view of anime, but just to clear the air here a bit. Specifically in the case of Kurosawa, I recall that in the early portion of his career he was unpopular in the Japanese film industry, which resulted in his work not getting several nominations (they apparently have a say in the issue). I'm not as familiar with some of the other people on the list, but I do know Hitchcock's films received multiple awards including Best Picture. Just in defense of the Oscars here. But what I'd like to point out is I'm applying the same rule I said for Animage that I would use for the Oscars. The first anime to win a particular Oscar seems--to me--to make it important. It represents a groundbreaking event for that particular title, and for the anime industry to receive such a prestigious award for the first time. If additional anime win the same award, I would not consider that as historically relevant, and would likely not include them on the list if that was the only thing they contributed to history. :p I promise, I tend to be consistent with my rules for choosing.

Moving on...

I don't particularly resent Disney. I do resent the average consumer who often thinks cartoons are for kids, and so the world's greatest animation studio is locked into making stuff for kids/general audiences. Disney occasionally gets away with shifting out of that mold: see the Hunchback of Notre Dame, the Great Mouse Detective, and the Black Cauldron. If we're arguing on a purely artistic level, I don't have a problem with either Disney style or with their success.

And honestly, Dreamworks is just a bit of a joke. :p Give me Don Bluth over them any day.

side bar how come we have no people relations on the club list

Dec 9, 2012 4:19 AM
Mar 2011
Mr_Panda said:

Moving on...

Blame disney for making it that way imvho if thay did no lock i like that there would no be a mold for Example every Ghibl Movie ever made is a Family Film

my biggest issues with Disney's artistic Ideals to it Butchers its Sources and uses Horrid Stereotypes see mulan

Dec 9, 2012 8:04 AM

Jan 2008
WOAH now, Mulan taught us to BEEEEE A MAAAAN! ^_^
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Dec 10, 2012 3:42 AM
Mar 2011
Mr_Panda said:
WOAH now, Mulan taught us to BEEEEE A MAAAAN! ^_^

it buchted the story

bur then again they could not ven get greek legends right you know what movie i mean

and
club related question
how com there is no people relations list
DateYutakaDec 10, 2012 3:46 AM

Sep 9, 2013 2:51 AM

Feb 2008
Hagio Moto

Reason: mangaka of the earliest shounen ai works. park of the generation of mangakas which set their stories in foreign, European-style boarding academies but also incorporated a lot of sci-fi themes in a few other shoujo works.

Selection of works.

Thomas no Shinzou (1974)
Poe no Ichizoku (1974)

The full list is on manga-updates. Matt Thorn's website has some good articles on her.
Jul 15, 2015 3:23 PM

Aug 2014
How about Momotarou: Umi no Shinpei? It's the first Japanese feature-length animated film.
Jul 16, 2015 11:31 AM

Jan 2008
I don't think it had an entry at time of founding (for the same reason we don't consider it "anime" under our standing definition). But I agree with the importance, so we'll go ahead and add it on.
~ The Anime Historian
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » -Anime History Question Guide-

Mr_Panda - May 16, 2009

32 by Mr_Panda »»
Jan 25, 2022 10:53 PM

» Defining "Anime"

Mr_Panda - Jul 24, 2013

2 by Mr_Panda »»
Mar 24, 2016 4:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.