Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
BTOOOM!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]
Jun 20, 2021 8:13 PM
Jul 2018
Yanno, I'm perfectly fine with Taira betraying the two MC's. They gave us enough indications that Taira isn't actually a bad guy -- just a bit delusional. In the end, he's filled with regret -- and of course he misses his family, and seems to be the kinda person who'd do anything for them. From missing home, to being injured and "out of it", to not wanting to die but being stuck in a game -- AND with the MC's constant habit of leaving Taira behind, thus filling him with anxiety -- all these things kind of justify Taira's betrayal. Furthermore, it's apparent that for the duration of the series, betrayal wasn't on Taira's mind. Internally, he even admitted that he didn't MEAN to hide the fact that he was collecting chips.

Taira is one of the least flawed characters in the show, behind the two MC's and some others. But he's still human.

His death was rather sad, too. Smiling at the camera and committing suicide, with his family on his mind. (Even though he technically never had to do that... as the MC seemed to have forgiven him.)

=====

I'm glad for once a main character was able to refrain from having sex given the moment, lol. I wouldn't have thought a sex scene would be necessary, but I'm glad it started out that way so that the MC would conclude the 12-episode series with some innerpeace and personal realizations of sorts.

The MC is pretty flawless despite being a NEET and hitting his step-father... although I guess the reason for that was his distant father and parents' divorce... and so I feel like he's the LAST character that needs to have any guilt or regrets. Since he's done the least wrong on the island.

=====

Great series. I feel like I should give it a 9/10, for some reason, however, I have to go ahead and give it a 10/10 because the series has virtually no flaws. The animation was consistently decent. Never once did the immersion break -- and never once did I think "huh, this is a still or panning shot" or "what lackluster animation here" ... it was always consistently fluid. The characters were always moving and shifting positions. The facial expressions were nice. Madhouse Studio did an excellent job. I have no complaints.

=====

And yet, there's still so much more! What about the child psychopath? Or the sunglasses dude and his female accomplice? I can't believe years later there hasn't been a sequel or second season. Was this show really not popular enough?? What a shame, I'd like to see how the rest plays out, but I guess I'll never know since I have no desire to read manga, hehe.
Jul 21, 2021 11:19 AM
Jun 2021
this anime is so underratedd omg i need season 2, i'm curious about what happened in the island when there is a technical problem. i wish they make a season 2 but they said that btoom already cancelled :''
Oct 7, 2021 2:54 PM

Jul 2019
Seems like season 2 is canceled. I wish it had one. I hope in future (if possible) they make s2 bcuz i don't like reading manga.
Nov 20, 2021 11:25 AM
Jul 2020
Great ending. Overall, its a low 7,(changed to 6) for me. Although, it really is a shame that the concept was so good despite the simplicity of the game but was filled with hideous writing, rape after rape. MC was irritating and naive as hell, but it seems like there will be a development in the future.

And also, there's just something that makes me not drop it so thats an extra point i guess.

Might read read the manga.
laaalaNov 22, 2021 6:35 PM
Jan 16, 2022 7:18 AM

Mar 2017
This was a good anime but I don’t think it quite reached its full potential… seemed like there was too much that the studio tried to fit into a single season and so it all came off as a little half-hearted.

That said, I think the manga will be a blast to read (see what I did there?) so I’ll definitely check that out!
Feb 27, 2022 11:15 PM
Feb 2022
Ay like this is it some hungry game type of anime not bad
May 4, 2022 6:13 PM

Jul 2021
it was pretty good till episode 7 after that it went downhill but overall it wasn't a bad anime overall it was good and pretty enjoyable though it's a lil unsettling to watch 5/10 a little underrated to be frank.

"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 15, 2022 5:54 AM
May 2021
woah didn't expected a kiss scene to happen at last episode. But really good. I really liked the series so far, 8/10. No sequel till now, it's been 10 years lol. Need to read the manga, no other option
Oct 11, 2022 10:31 PM
Jun 2020
It was alright. Didn’t feel like reading the manga to finish the story tho
Nov 22, 2022 5:05 AM

May 2020
Taira losing it was always coming, those subtle hints from the very beginning weren't there for nothing after all. I find his approach totally normal given the circumstances, though we know guys depicting realism don't live long, so was it for Taira.

They did try to give a satisfactory end, though the episodes clearly weren't enough given the format of this series. We still don't know plenty, heck we haven't met every player. Though it was engaging, had that thrill time to time plus it had Himiko and her circumstances( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). But the plot aiding certain characters every time from any kind of attack was down questionable lol.

6/10. Typical Madhouse product, never got a second season.
Dec 22, 2022 6:54 AM
Jul 2020
good episode but cliffhanger ending was eh
May 15, 2023 1:56 PM

Dec 2022
Taira is a neat character. Not stereotypically evil like many of the characters in this anime, but prone to paranoia and getting caught up in his own thoughts. That's why he was shown to be largely altruistic in earlier episodes, while also being still very much interested in surviving and escaping.

Ryouta ignored the proverbial devil on his shoulder and decided to refrain from having sex with Himiko as well, even though she would've accepted, purely because she was still reluctant to be touched by men. Pretty admirable stuff. And there was still romantic development there either way, so that's nice.

I really liked this anime. Sure, some cheap events happen just to add tension or more action to scenes, but the survival aspects and character interactions were reasonably thoughtful. You also never truly knew what was going to happen next, which is the sort of anticipation that only a few other anime can pull off well.
Archean-ReturnMay 15, 2023 1:59 PM

Shaded Horizon

Jun 13, 2023 12:31 AM
May 2021
..... .......... ......... .......
Jun 14, 2023 9:39 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
As expected, a cliffhanger ending, but imo not a bad one and that’s what I’m most happy about, I found it to be satisfying enough to end on. This was mainly due to Ryouta finally finding out that Himiko is his Himiko and the two of them officially hooking up, and things kinda coming full circle with Taira who was out of commission for pretty much the entire 2nd half of the show. I really hated to see him go down that route but it made sense, and I assumed he wouldn’t last till the end once he was bitten by the Komodo Dragon, and of course his end involving them once again was fitting but he at least went out on his own terms and didn’t get eaten alive, but man was it upsetting.

And then the final scene showing something is wrong with the island kinda hurts since I know there’s no Season 2 and we’ll probably never get one, but it’s definitely enticing me to read the manga lol, maybe I will one day. But with that, we’ve reached the end of Btooom, and I found it to be a damn good show, there were of course issues with plot armor here and there but overall I found it to be very enjoyable. It had very nice art and animation thanks to old school Madhouse and the survival game never got boring imo, and that’s partly thanks to the great characters.

And I can’t not mention the awesome OP and ED, they have that nice combo where one is fast and intense and the other is slow and calming and of course they’re great songs, the 2nd OP we got in this last episode was good as well and I was surprised to get a whole new song on the last one lol. It’s always nice watching shows from the good ol early 2010s, I wouldn’t get into anime till 2013/2014 but there’s a certain nostalgic feel shows from this era have and it was definitely present in this show, 2012 is a time I really miss as well for other reasons.

And I guess with that I’m done with this series, fingers crossed for it to randomly come back with a vengeance one day lol.
TheColonel76Jun 14, 2023 9:43 AM
Oct 14, 2023 3:36 PM
Aug 2023
I'm a little disappointed that Himiko didn't confess to Ryouta that she was his Himiko, but rather Ryouta figured it out. It kind of bypasses the potential character growth for Himiko because she still didn't trust him enough to tell him the truth. It could have been a major character development moment like when the "white ghost" nurse couldn't bring herself to kill the constantly betraying doctor she loved yet she always said she hated and would kill. Obviously Himiko still has a phobia of men due to that fat guy, and the pop star in her backstory, but if she confessed to Ryouta, it would have shown she was overcoming her trust issues. Also while talking about Himiko and the "white ghost's" hatred for men, I wish they would have tone that down, it was too exaggerated. The "white ghost" was only betrayed by one specific guy, and it almost seemed like a joke how Himiko was always exclaimed her distrust of men.

Taira betraying Ryouta and Himiko, Ryouta shouldn't have forgiven him. I know they had to do some convoluted thing to make Ryouta figure out he was the ahole in his backstory so that he can have character growth, but Taira tried to kill them while being mostly a liability/useless much of the whole season. They shouldn't give intentional backstabbers a second chance. I know the "white ghost" does, but she loved the betraying doctor. It could have worked better if they played up Taira's hallucinations/fevered delusions more, or made him Ryouta's anchor to civilized life or moral compass. Or perhaps could have had Ryouta see Taira as a father figure when he couldn't see his actual father and step-father as such.

Overall this anime was interesting but I didn't find the execution nor characters that compelling nor natural feeling. This anime seems similar to Dr.Stone, but the battle royale with bombs instead of science. I would recommend Dr.Stone for anybody who liked this anime, it has really good execution and characters that are compelling and natural feeling. It has the same sense of "we got to work together" but not feeling so hallow like it did here.
Oct 23, 2023 1:01 PM
Jun 2022
That Betraying Bit Didn't Sit Right With Me But Other Than That Dope Episode . This Anime Is Now In Rotation Of My Rewatchable Animes.
Nov 12, 2023 9:51 AM
Oct 2023
i want a next saison
Dec 2, 2023 4:33 AM

Nov 2023
This show is literally just a survival starterpack with a slice of tsundre but as a lover of the survival genera I loved it anyways
Feb 19, 5:32 AM

Jun 2020
this anime sucked ass but might read manga
May 8, 9:17 PM

Apr 2015
That wasn't bad at all, it ended on bit of a cliffhanger but I wasn't disappointed
sadly I don't think there was ever a plan for Season 2, I think they adapted so many chapters to try to catch up to the Manga so the anime fans can pick up from there

I think Survival/Royal Battle genre is my new favorite
May 14, 1:35 PM

Jun 2015
I feel bad for Taira-san. He wasn't evil like some of the other scum in the series.

Why did they do me so dirty? Why isn't there a second season. This show sat in my list for years and I started it reluctantly. I didn't expect it to be that good.

BTW, the episode opening, should have been the opening for the entire show. It was much better.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2012

140 by Niveen_Sleem »»
May 14, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Elite60 - Nov 8, 2012

142 by Niveen_Sleem »»
May 12, 11:48 AM

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 30, 2012

243 by Niveen_Sleem »»
May 4, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2012

142 by project_ain »»
Mar 28, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Btooom! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Elite60 - Nov 15, 2012

158 by project_ain »»
Mar 27, 7:25 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.