Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 6, 2012 9:24 PM

Oct 2008
RIP Commander Latrova.

Keeping it real and protecting all the way to the end. She'd lost so much and gave her all. Yuuya better mention her every 3 episodes. =_=

Oh and guess what. Cryska and Inia took the core module. USSR>JapanxUS

We're officially fucked.

Oct 7, 2012 9:50 AM
Oct 2012
Urgh... I'd really like to know what's wrong with Yuuya lately. He was such an enjoyable character in episodes 3 and 4, but then he starts just bending over backwards for a nation that not only lumps him in with all the "blue eyed devils", but thinks he has to be saved and converted back to the Japanese way. Come on!

When are they going to figure this simple lesson out?

Why Japanese ACM sucks

The problem I've seen from the beginning, and I've mentioned this in my review, is that the Japanese ACM tactics that are described in this series are the same tactics that caused them to lose to the Americans hands-down in every aerial engagement since Midway. You don't bank, roll, and maneuver in the horizontal axis when your TSFs can be outperformed through vertical climbs and dive attacks (as the Wildcat and Hellcat drivers did in the Pacific).

Also, when you have a bunch of bugs swarming you, you don't fight a traditional Napoleonic engagement. As great a read as Clausewitz is, when is Yui going to read up on her Mao, or Colonel Boyd? Since the Battle of Cannae, maneuver warfare has been the de-facto way to win a battle both from a tactical and strategic sense. Adding the unorthodox with standard operating procedure to further confuse the enemy is precisely why the BETA are winning so far in this series. The characters all say the BETA are unpredictable. Then why don't the humans start doing something unpredictable, themselves?

Simple strategy for winning the entire war:

1) Equip the EM cannons to strategic bombers to sweep the infested areas of Europe and Asia from a safe altitude, cutting off certain hives from their neighbors and eliminating the Laser Class.

2) Send in higher thrust-weight ratio TSFs (Falcons and Eagles) in to sweep up the leftovers once the Laser Class have been destroyed, using the advantage of altitude and speed to jink out of the way. Operate under EMCON to ensure the BETA can't detect the incoming forces.

3) Send in a few Boomers off the Japanese coast to fire some Polaris missiles, and have the MIRVs target the colonies of BETA that haven't surfaced.

4) Develop a biological weapon (likely smallpox or some other deadly strain) the BETA's immune system aren't accustomed to, and release it globally to eradicate the BETA population.

All I'm asking for Episode 15 is that Yuuya goes back to being a Viper driver.
RaiwatanabeOct 7, 2012 10:09 AM
Oct 7, 2012 1:40 PM

Apr 2010
Raiwatanabe said:
Urgh... I'd really like to know what's wrong with Yuuya lately. He was such an enjoyable character in episodes 3 and 4, but then he starts just bending over backwards for a nation that not only lumps him in with all the "blue eyed devils", but thinks he has to be saved and converted back to the Japanese way. Come on!

When are they going to figure this simple lesson out?

Why Japanese ACM sucks

The problem I've seen from the beginning, and I've mentioned this in my review, is that the Japanese ACM tactics that are described in this series are the same tactics that caused them to lose to the Americans hands-down in every aerial engagement since Midway. You don't bank, roll, and maneuver in the horizontal axis when your TSFs can be outperformed through vertical climbs and dive attacks (as the Wildcat and Hellcat drivers did in the Pacific).

Also, when you have a bunch of bugs swarming you, you don't fight a traditional Napoleonic engagement. As great a read as Clausewitz is, when is Yui going to read up on her Mao, or Colonel Boyd? Since the Battle of Cannae, maneuver warfare has been the de-facto way to win a battle both from a tactical and strategic sense. Adding the unorthodox with standard operating procedure to further confuse the enemy is precisely why the BETA are winning so far in this series. The characters all say the BETA are unpredictable. Then why don't the humans start doing something unpredictable, themselves?

Simple strategy for winning the entire war:

1) Equip the EM cannons to strategic bombers to sweep the infested areas of Europe and Asia from a safe altitude, cutting off certain hives from their neighbors and eliminating the Laser Class.

2) Send in higher thrust-weight ratio TSFs (Falcons and Eagles) in to sweep up the leftovers once the Laser Class have been destroyed, using the advantage of altitude and speed to jink out of the way. Operate under EMCON to ensure the BETA can't detect the incoming forces.

3) Send in a few Boomers off the Japanese coast to fire some Polaris missiles, and have the MIRVs target the colonies of BETA that haven't surfaced.

4) Develop a biological weapon (likely smallpox or some other deadly strain) the BETA's immune system aren't accustomed to, and release it globally to eradicate the BETA population.

Some points of you i agree however there are also things i disagree with.
First of all people learn from past mistakes the same can be applied to countries the air combat manoeuvring your referring to is the one from WW2.
Don't you think they learned from that and changed them already i mean your talking about 70 years ago.
Secondly tho the Zero was a advanced and good machine at the start of the war by the end of the war it was outdated unlike the Americans, English, Germans and Russians the Japanese didn't do much to update there planes.
With the result that the Zero had no change anymore against the planes the allied used which gained more firepower armour and speed during the war.
It should also be mentioned that the tactics that the allied forces where using changed during the course of the war as well and became effective against the Japanese mid 1942 after the introduction of new tactics against them.
Also i haven't seen to many of the tactics the Japanese are using yet i mean the only fights on Japanese soil we have seen so for is the one from the first two episode and the one from Yui's memory at the start of episode 13.
Which in my opinion is the little to judge from.

I also disagree with you on the tactics used i mean these bugs have been on the planet for more then thirty years don't you think in those thirty years someone came up unique ways of countering them.
They would probably have used countless of tactics and strategy's against the even including ones never used before even things that are completely unpredictable.

We had a discussion before on the forums as to why they BETA managed to get the entire Eurasia continent and many things where mentioned including nuclear warfare.
Yet someone familiar with the Muvluv universe managed to counter them all.
However chemical warfare,radiological warfare and biological warfare where not mentioned and i have been wondering about them.
No mater how resilient the BETA are at least some of these forms of warfare should work on them.
Tho it also raises the question of how are you going to get those weapons into BETA territory and far enough to have good effects against them.

Those Polaris missiles you mentioned are outdated now a days they use Trident missiles and judging from what i was told last time it seems those laser class BETA are able to intercept them.
Again including the last discussion topic we had about the subject of why the Eurasia continent was invaded there where several people that came up with some interesting ideas to counter the BETA.
And that's on a forum topic seem by a few hundred maybe a few thousand people.
This war involved millions of people so they should have had some with even better ideas to counter them.
Oct 7, 2012 2:30 PM
May 2010
I'm not really sure why I'm responding to this. Or why I'm posting at all. Boredom, maybe?

Raiwatanabe said:
Stuff

Most of the things you mentioned are discussed in the visual novels. Some of them are actually utilized, as well. I'll go into detail if anyone wants me to, but the #1 reason the BETA are winning this war is not due to humanity's poor tactics or inadequate weaponry. That's an issue, yes, but it's not the main reason.

That reason is numbers. Sheer numbers. The BETA generally outnumber humanity in a 20:1 ratio. Inside a hive, that ratio is roughly 100:1. The BETA are effectively stupid, but the fact that there are so many of them, and that they generally attack with such overwhelming numbers, is why humanity is losing; no matter how much firepower is brought in for an operation, it never seems to be nearly enough to quell the swarm.
Oct 8, 2012 7:09 AM
Sep 2012
Darkness-man said:
Man, Yuuya sure is becoming more and more mature.

i rather say he becomes mature, until now he was like a spoiled kid
Oct 11, 2012 6:23 AM
Jul 2018
Damn good episode glad Yuuya is alright.
Oct 11, 2012 8:13 AM
Oct 2012
Raiwatanabe said:
... Since the Battle of Cannae, maneuver warfare has been the de-facto way to win a battle both from a tactical and strategic sense. Adding the unorthodox with standard operating procedure to further confuse the enemy is precisely why the BETA are winning so far in this series. The characters all say the BETA are unpredictable. Then why don't the humans start doing something unpredictable, themselves?

Maneuver warfare can only help them for so much; raiding, Laser-class hunting, tactical repositioning and avoiding particularly dense groups of BETA on the battlefield. The numbers of BETA in any significant engagement of worth is such that any firepower, range and technological advantage is utterly and completely neutralized by the sheer numbers of the BETA.

There's no bomber with a barrel-using projectile weapon that's safe unless it's a space-borne vehicle. The EML is also heavily hinted at to use G-Elements, meaning that unless they can take Hives they won't be able to mass-produce the weapon.

You seriously didn't think that a cannon, regardless of railgun or conventional cannon, would actually be longer-ranged than any rocket system, did you? And why would they need strategic bombers when they already had the capability to bombard Hives from space?

If the Falcon and Eagle were that successful designs the Europeans wouldn't have had to develop the Typhoon. It's not so much about avoiding BETA as it is unavoidable to engage in close-range combat with BETA if you ever intend to walk into taken territory. The BETA also don't play by EMCON; how many conveniently-placed black-boxes do you have to distract the BETA? On the average battlefield, the TSFs would take engagement priority just by having their systems online.

BETA Hives have tunnel networks underneath them that allow the rapid deployment of forces up to several kilometers away from the main Hive. Something as advanced as MIRVs is like lighting up a candle in a dark room full of moths; Laser-class are going to be all over the warheads faster than they can hit. You could use this for less-developed Hives that have yet to produce their own Laser-class, but that's assuming that they're not being covered by another Hive's Heavy Laser-class.

The only successful use of nukes on a Hive was when a second landing occurred in Athabasca after the first one in Kashgar, and it's well-known that it took several nukes to destroy the landing Hive. Once it's established itself, nukes can only do so much to alien superstructure. Even the vaunted G-bomb, using G-Elements found in BETA Hives, only blew chunks off the Phase 2 Yokohama Hive; it took a second shot to level the Hive's top structure. Most major Hives at the time of Total Eclipse are Phase 4 to 5.

Having survived hard vacuum and interstellar radiation well before coming to Earth, and following the 25+ years of consuming Eurasia and Asia's landmass, any weakness to natural environmental factors would have shown themselves by now. The BETA's internal structure were so alien that billions invested into a plan to study them turned out nothing more than whatever information you've seen about them in Total Eclipse so far.

He was never a pilot for any F-16s/YF-17/F-18s though, what are you going on about?

If you think I'm pulling a whole load of **** from thin air, then I have to say "unfortunately no, the VN and supporting books and stories have already proved this."

The original Total Eclipse didn't even bother to go into technicalities about BETA capabilities.
Oct 15, 2012 11:44 PM
May 2012
vagsk said:
R.I.P. Commander Latrova

I hope it wasn't the Scarlet twins who delivered the final blow to Commander Latrova.

How did exactly she died? I mean what the hell just happened?!

They just skipped the scene like that & never know what happened to her! WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?! THIS IS JUST CONFUSING AS HELL!
JafriZinOct 16, 2012 10:53 AM
Oct 24, 2012 6:14 PM

Aug 2011
RIP Commander Latrova!!!

JeffreyZin said:
vagsk said:
R.I.P. Commander Latrova

I hope it wasn't the Scarlet twins who delivered the final blow to Commander Latrova.

How did exactly she died? I mean what the hell just happened?!

They just skipped the scene like that & never know what happened to her! WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?! THIS IS JUST CONFUSING AS HELL!

She got taken out by a Terminator class TSF..., most likely the scarlet twins which is kinda disturbing.

"The Eishi are the edge of humanity's blade"

Another great episode, this anime is reminding me why i love mecha anime so much!!!

Episode Naxcore: 5/5
5547r8.jpgNaxrrhid.png
Dec 3, 2012 5:30 PM

Jul 2012
Wow sad the Zhar squad was killed by unknown badass but it's said they used the Zhar squad as propaganda tools they were heroes in their own right but they used their deaths to boost the morale of the people by calling them heroes.
Aug 31, 2013 8:18 AM
May 2013
I loved how everyone thought Yuuya is dead.

Amon-Raw said:
Wow sad the Zhar squad was killed by unknown badass but it's said they used the Zhar squad as propaganda tools they were heroes in their own right but they used their deaths to boost the morale of the people by calling them heroes.

After I watched this episode for the 2nd time I understood what happened:
ZarnaavNov 2, 2013 1:50 PM
Aug 10, 2014 2:45 AM

Jul 2008
The Russians took out Zhar Battalion....its those commanders that need to die now.
Aug 8, 2017 8:35 AM

Apr 2014
Why is this Not in a Super robot wars game already?? It has Stuff That can actually be use for a good story! I have 2 things to say.

1st is that Yuuya is developing pretty well for a character.
2nd Who the Fk send that unknown Mech into the Field?? Why was it also killing Other Mechs?
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
Aug 28, 2017 4:29 PM

Jun 2017
is yuuya's mom the commander?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 1, 2012

175 by Zane_0 »»
Aug 9, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.