Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 13, 2016 10:06 PM
Dec 2015
So I've found the answer... Makoto is not the aunt at all. This anime is an adaptation from the original novel, and the protagonist of that novel is actually Makoto's aunt. As i'm sure you remember from the anime adaptation the Aunt talks about her past with a man she loved and how she could time leap. This is referring to the original novel. For further information the link is down below. When you reach the website simply scroll down to to the heading Adaptations and look for the 2006 Anime Film subheading and you'll find the same answer. You can also read the plot which tells a brief summary of the Aunt's experiences with time leaping as a teenager.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Leapt_Through_Time
Jul 13, 2016 10:22 PM
Dec 2015
Ljam said:
Zealot said:
your all missing the fact that when she goes back in time, she takes over the body of the past mokoto.
In other words, there cant be 2 mokotos at the same time.

Zealot and Papersheep said it's impossible for Makoto and her aunt to be one since every time she time leaps, she's still in her same teenage age so how come?. I've got another theory in my sleeves. Makoto and Aunt Witch can actually be one person. It's not really the teenage Makoto who time leap, but the Aunt did. She's the Makoto from the future right? So she went back to her old time where the painting is still present, so she could restore it. Of course there's a possibility that the aunt will stay the way she is 'coz she's from the future. Chiaki said he's from the future, he came just to see the painting. But he stayed long because he had fun with Makoto and Kousuke.Zaleot, you said that when a person goes back in time, he'll take over the body of it's past. Then shouldn't Chiaki disappear when he time traveled since he's actually still not present that time or he'd turn to a kid again? He's still in his teenage body right? :

I've come up with another idea again which made things complicated AGAIN. They said “If Chiaki will be waiting in the future, then Makoto will be older than him , right?” Well that’s not it. Zaleot might be a bit right about taking over it’s past body when you time leap back. You see, the Chiaki biking with Makoto everyday is him in the past.. The future him is actually the one in the picture frame shown in one of the scene in the movie.. So another reason and possibility is cited. But then back to Zaleot and papersheet’s point of view.. My answer there was disturbed ‘coz of this idea I’ve come.. So another idea of possibilities was revealed but another in complication =.= this is a bit hard… BUT I DON’T REALLY MIND.. I LOVED THE MOVIE AND EVERYTHING IN IT WAS WORTH SEEING SO, WHY COMPLAIN? :) Though I still want to figure out more reasons and solutions. I want to clear things… I’LL ADD ANOTHER IDEA ONCE SOMETHING POP OUT OF MY MIND. :D
Ljam said:
Zealot said:
your all missing the fact that when she goes back in time, she takes over the body of the past mokoto.
In other words, there cant be 2 mokotos at the same time.

Zealot and Papersheep said it's impossible for Makoto and her aunt to be one since every time she time leaps, she's still in her same teenage age so how come?. I've got another theory in my sleeves. Makoto and Aunt Witch can actually be one person. It's not really the teenage Makoto who time leap, but the Aunt did. She's the Makoto from the future right? So she went back to her old time where the painting is still present, so she could restore it. Of course there's a possibility that the aunt will stay the way she is 'coz she's from the future. Chiaki said he's from the future, he came just to see the painting. But he stayed long because he had fun with Makoto and Kousuke.Zaleot, you said that when a person goes back in time, he'll take over the body of it's past. Then shouldn't Chiaki disappear when he time traveled since he's actually still not present that time or he'd turn to a kid again? He's still in his teenage body right? :

I've come up with another idea again which made things complicated AGAIN. They said “If Chiaki will be waiting in the future, then Makoto will be older than him , right?” Well that’s not it. Zaleot might be a bit right about taking over it’s past body when you time leap back. You see, the Chiaki biking with Makoto everyday is him in the past.. The future him is actually the one in the picture frame shown in one of the scene in the movie.. So another reason and possibility is cited. But then back to Zaleot and papersheet’s point of view.. My answer there was disturbed ‘coz of this idea I’ve come.. So another idea of possibilities was revealed but another in complication =.= this is a bit hard… BUT I DON’T REALLY MIND.. I LOVED THE MOVIE AND EVERYTHING IN IT WAS WORTH SEEING SO, WHY COMPLAIN? :) Though I still want to figure out more reasons and solutions. I want to clear things… I’LL ADD ANOTHER IDEA ONCE SOMETHING POP OUT OF MY MIND. :D

Hey dude your logic is really really flawed... Makoto herself only follows one timeline. She can't be two people at once. Also even like you said if Makoto as an older woman really did have one time leap left and actually time leaped back, their would not be a younger Makoto there because there is simply only one Makoto in each time leap.
Sep 18, 2016 5:54 AM

Dec 2015
I think it's a plothole, Aunty witch can't be Makoto since Makoto's sister has black hair and Aunty witch's sister (Makoto's mother) has blonde hair.

Chiaki promised he'd see Makoto in the future and Aunty witch mentioned something about parting from the love of her life when she was around Makoto's age.

What's confusing is that Makoto promised she would make sure the painting is restored and kept safe for the future and Aunti witch is the one who restored the painting. If Makoto's aunty restored the painting why wasn't it present in the future, will Makoto make sure it is kept safe? No-one knows.

Wish they added a segment where a future Makoto and Chiaki meet, wouldn't Makoto be in her late 30s and Chiaki be in his early 20s? So confused >_<

*Can't believe I was a kid watching dubbed Naruto when this was created O_o
~
Mar 6, 2017 8:23 PM

Dec 2016
I believe not. I think her aunt went through the same things that Makoto experienced. Discovered the same time traveling device, then found out it actually belonged to one of the friends from her old photograph. Then the guy dissappeared. But why is she recovering and taking care of the painting? Maybe her old friend also wanted to find the painting, just as Chioko, and she found that out. Maybe he even told her that he was going to wait for her in the future, just as Chioko said to Motoko. That's why i think Matoko chose in the end to dedicate her future to the same profesion as her aunt. Well, this is mere speculation because the movie does not clarifies this completely so.. Yep, it's a great movie :D
Dr_Manhattan95Mar 6, 2017 8:37 PM
Dec 7, 2017 12:09 AM
Dec 2017
What if chiaki is actually aunties time traveling lovers son and has been told by his father about the painting so that's the reason why he has traveled to see it
Dec 25, 2017 6:55 PM
Nov 2017
So many unanswered questions. I was sure they could be the same person.
Jul 13, 2021 8:17 PM

May 2020
So many people don’t realise that Makoto’s aunt is the protagonist of the novel this movie is based on and is a sequel too.
Aug 9, 2021 8:53 PM
Jul 2018
Zenoxio said:
Is it possible the aunt is a future self of Makoto?

The aunt somehow knows about time leaping and isn't surprised to hear Makoto can do it.

Makoto promises she will ensure the painting is there in the future for Chiaki to see. The aunt is dedicated to restoring that painting.

They look alike. http://animewriter.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/makoto-aunt.jpg

Makoto seems to trust the aunt (or feels comfortable around) over her own father and mother.

The only unknown thing is how the aunt went back in time to arrive at the time of her younger self. Although it is very possible time leaping was invented before she found Chiaki in the future and used the new invention to return back to the current time of the movie.
here’s the problem with that. If the aunt is the adult version of makoto who is from the future, she broke the rule of not telling anyone about time leaping by telling her former self
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo Discussion (GO WATCH THIS) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - May 11, 2007

506 by JullianGG »»
5 hours ago

» plot hole

Algazero - Nov 10, 2010

18 by Khashishi »»
Apr 10, 2023 11:15 PM

» The Painting

itz_lelouch - Mar 12, 2023

5 by waalex11 »»
Apr 1, 2023 4:42 AM

» Awkward/Funny Scene

Rand_al-Thorfinn - Aug 26, 2022

5 by omen- »»
Sep 13, 2022 4:19 AM

» When is Chiaki actually from

iamhim - Nov 9, 2020

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Aug 1, 2022 12:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.