Forum Settings
Forums

The movie is a much better take on the story than the anime was *spoilers!*

New
Sep 30, 2011 10:26 PM

Aug 2009
*this thread has movie and anime spoilers!*

Why is it that people are constantly downtalking this movie? I went into it expecting trash because everyone's always on about how bad it is.

It was super-cramped, which heavily flawed it. But it was a much, MUCH better take on the story overall than the anime. The ending in particular, is how the anime should have ended. When I go back to rewatch the anime, I never do it to completion. I always stop when Tomoya and Ushio get back together. The movie does this for me and actually ENDS IT THERE. No Ushio dies, no stupid balls of light bringing Nagisa back to life. The one core thing holding the anime back from being perfect (the atrocious ending) is completely remedied in the movie.

The flow of events is also much better than in the anime. A lot of unnecessary drama was removed, like Nagisa's issues with her play performance regarding her dad.

I do think that the childbirth scene in the movie was MUCH worse than the anime's version, which actually is one of my favourite scenes ever. I also think that Nagisa's introduction was poor versus the anime. Overall though? Much better take on the story. If this had been a series of movies rather than just one, it could have been perfect.

I'm baffled that people actually consider it bad. It makes me want to check out the Air movie, and Kanon 2002.
Sep 30, 2011 10:30 PM

Dec 2010
I had massive deja vu then realized you posted on OT
Sep 30, 2011 10:56 PM

Dec 2007
Definitely agreed with you on liking the ending to the movie more. That's how it should have been, with Tomoya finally getting the resolve to get off his arse and be a father to Ushio. None of that Dragonball-wishing-Nagisa-back hogwash.
Sep 30, 2011 11:03 PM

Aug 2009
lolwut? Who are you on OT?
Nov 5, 2011 12:38 PM

Jul 2009
Anime ended like the VN.
Anime was a perfect adaptation of the VN.

When I was watching the movie, everything just felt off and wrong. Probly 'cus I'd watched the anime and read the VN first.
Dec 22, 2011 11:03 PM
Aug 2011
For me the choice is clear. Bullshit ending or not the movie simply did a better job of making me want to see Tomoya and Nagisa get together unlike the anime where I was annoyed be Nagisa's helplessness and found myself rooting for Tomoyo instead.
Jan 31, 2012 6:07 PM
Jan 2012
Honestly, I didn't like the movie. I liked the series much better because all the moments that I loved aren't in the movie. But there are some in the movie that I would've liked to be in the series.

That's my opinion and I hope others choose to support it.
Sep 18, 2012 12:20 AM
May 2012
Finally, someone who doesn't think the movie was bad! I honestly think the movie was good. It could have been much worse. At least most of it did stick to the VN, maybe except for the dream world which was a bit freaky I have to admit. But I thought it made just as much sense. Although I like After Story more because of the development and supernatural, th movie did take the supernatural aspect of it the right way and didn't use those revive orbs which I thought was a bit cheap - same as you. The problem is is that in real life we would all want that to happen, yet if you look at it in an anime you feel like you had been cheated crying for nothing basically. Strange how such an anime could leave such an impact. The movie did have a better ending though. At least he saw Nagisa another way.
Apr 23, 2013 10:45 AM

Jan 2013
I don't think the Movie was bad at all, I actually though it was pretty good.
Almost the entire Movie was focused on Tomoya and Nagisa, which was good.

But in my honest opinion, I could get into the story way better with the Anime series, it was way more satisfying for me to watch the series than the Movie was.

So if I'd have to choose whether to watch the Movie or Anime adaption, I'd pick the Anime adaption 20 times over.
Apr 23, 2013 4:30 PM

Oct 2012
maybe the movie is good but the anime is masterpiece

More topics from this board

» When should I watch this(please no spoiler)

Hickykissy - May 2

9 by Putra_weeb »»
May 5, 5:20 AM

» I know this movie's not looked upon fondly however

KaiserVonGogureo - Sep 27, 2022

6 by Theo1899 »»
Sep 29, 2022 10:59 AM

Poll: » Clannad (Movie) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Mar 11, 2008

171 by Gendolfas »»
Sep 3, 2022 5:33 AM

Poll: » Should I watch the series first?

woojoo666 - Dec 2, 2013

8 by DC27 »»
Sep 6, 2021 7:07 AM

» Is it bad that I prefer the movie to the series??

jammydodger63 - Sep 18, 2012

29 by _DaikazokuDango_ »»
Oct 11, 2020 3:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.