Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 18, 2011 3:10 AM

Jan 2008
...is unbelievable. I'm continually baffled by how this manga even made it to the West. I'm not exactly a feminist but this shit is just insulting on every level. It goes beyond pulp and into pure misogynistic material.

Not impressed.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 22, 2011 6:33 PM

Feb 2008
I stumbled into this thread when I first started reading this manga and I didn't think it was misogynistic while reading. It certainly didnt have women in the most flattering light but I felt it was an appropriate period manga...... with the added over-drama. However, when you get around volume 13-14 that's when I start agreeing with you. Hanzo's wives who all had their own backstories and personalities (which isnt saying too much with this series) were all completely dumbed down into his polygamous sex objects. I really didn't like that. I mean, Tsukumo had a child.... what happen to that? And Tsukibue was one of the coolest characters I thought. She ended up having NO personality after Hanzo convinced her to become a "real" woman.

However, you could also argue how this series protrays men in a negative way. At times I thought the manga was obvious in protraying men as violent and psychotic for power incapable of having loving relationships with anybody.

meh. overall this was a page-turner at times, Im glad I read this series. 'Ooku: The Inner Chambers' is much better and would highly reconmend reading that next, if you havent already.
Sep 23, 2011 12:39 AM

Jan 2008
If you liked this manga at all, then you definitely need to read Lone Wolf & Cub, and Samurai Executioner. By the same artist/author and so much better.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 29, 2011 7:28 PM

Feb 2008
This manga was okay; there were times when I felt it was a page turner, like when Hanzo sneaks into Takeda. But overall this isn't really something I'd read a second time. Like you said, I didnt like how women were portrayed. At first I just figured the treatment of women was just showing the brutality of this time period. but i started to get really sick of it as the volumes went on.
Dec 29, 2011 1:43 PM

Jan 2009
The story felt rushed and many interesting or relevant threads were left unexplored and as Duelistbluerose mentioned some of the more interesting characters were dumb'd down toward the end, so I don't give it such a high score.

But the portrayal of women didn't really bother me, I think if you take it as a serious story you'd feel annoyed, to me it felt like black humor/ parody.
Dec 30, 2011 2:18 AM

Jan 2008
alcurad said:
But the portrayal of women didn't really bother me, I think if you take it as a serious story you'd feel annoyed, to me it felt like black humor/ parody.

I didn't get the dark humour vibe at all from reading it. I saw it more as a cynical way to sell more copies for young guys. The manga reflects the time it was published, not necessarily the era the story is set in.
Dec 24, 2023 9:23 AM
Feb 2022
Bru I hope she saw this after all those years and rewarded you + thx for the recommendation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Path of the Assassin Chapter 24 Discussion

Beatnik - Dec 22, 2008

0 by Beatnik »»
Dec 22, 2008 8:16 AM

Poll: » Path of the Assassin Chapter 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Dec 17, 2008

0 by Beatnik »»
Dec 17, 2008 7:37 AM

Poll: » Path of the Assassin Chapter 2 Discussion

Beatnik - Dec 17, 2008

0 by Beatnik »»
Dec 17, 2008 7:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.