Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2011 12:56 PM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was refreshingly crappy. At the beginning it had an Indiana Jones-ish vibe to it - just with so called "microbiology" (was that the term they used?) instead of archaeology. And with a fucking freak monster as his trusty sidekick instead of a fat, bearded Egyptian or a 10 year old Chinese. Sweet!

I liked how they managed to put every little cliché in this piece too, and to be honest that's what I like so much about these 80s and 90s horror, sex and gore OVAs: if you actually like that kind of stuff, there you go, you've had an entertaining (well, at least somewhat) little story. If you're like me and can enjoy something for all the cheese and crap that it is, you're set too. We get man-eating titties; a nice scene implying that there's gonna be some rape or at least some more cannibalism, and by the next Japanese prime minister at that; a Japanese scryer who goes to "cleanse himself" at a shrine - including the classic sitting-under-the-waterfall shot; the omnipresent brute force but and no brain gaijin; and (my personal favourite bit): they even managed to squeeze in (*rimshot*) a tentacle face-rape just before the end. Other highlights include a severed hand that not only could attach itself to a flying helicopter with precision that would make a Swiss watchmaker pale in comparison, but can also move on its own, pick locks and control people that it has embedded itself in to.

I don't know if anyone noticed this one (and I guess it's one of the less absurd things in this OVA), but boobs-with-teeth girl's father has an actual dungeon in his house! Complete with hooks on the walls to chain up people and old style prison bars. Good for him that he swings that way I guess, I can't imagine that people with other fetishes have the facilities and equipment to contain a person that suddenly grows teeth where there shouldn't be any.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
May 18, 2012 9:51 PM

Jul 2011
At least we finally get to know the origins of a certain member from the Addams Family ;D

6/10. Komada pwns!
May 22, 2014 2:23 PM

Apr 2009
The last third was def. the best. Ninja Hand is probably my favourite character.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 27, 2014 6:36 PM

Dec 2008
Why wasn't this turned into a series? I think it would've been a good one.

I'd totally date Komada!

Sent with Mal Updater
Dec 14, 2014 3:34 AM
Jul 2018
If this was cliche, at least the cliches it used weren't as basic as more modern anime and were more cliches to the western movie industry. Doesn't exactly make it better, but it's a difference that should be noted.
Hannah_Ana said:
Why wasn't this turned into a series? I think it would've been a good one.

Totally agree.
Jan 16, 2015 5:55 AM

Feb 2008
Nothing is complete without tentacles entering a woman's mouth.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 15, 2015 12:41 AM

Jan 2015
Well, this was okay. We need more protagonists with mustaches.
Oct 1, 2015 5:25 PM
Jul 2014
Lol, I really don't know what to think of it!?! It's crappy, no doubt about it, but it has some bright moments, a few scenes of good animation and some such surreal twists,that it's funny.
For example, in the middle of the forest,after surviving the 'car/demon' accident:
'Psssst. Don't you hear it?' (they walk through the forest)
'Vow, it's some kind of temple?!?' (And then, I was expecting siege, massacre, attack of all the bad-ass demons you can imagine, but they encounter -you're not gonna believe it- GRANDPA?!?!?!? WTF?!? In the temple she never saw in her life?!?
Next example - the flying hand!?! We can quite easily consider it as character on it's own, LOL! It caught the helicopter with such accuracy - I believe it could play as pitcher in any given major league baseball team!!! LOL
List of such surreal gigs goes on and on, it's actually worthy of any Monty Python's show...
None the less, I'm not sorry for the hour I spent watching this Anime. It was quite entertaining I must say!
Nov 7, 2015 3:36 PM

Aug 2009
Liked it. It had a nice art style, good animation (reminded me of Mezzo Forte) and the characters were interesting and fun. The story could have been better, but it wasn't horrible either. There were some logic errors, and sometimes there was like, a bit too much erotic stuff going on (the "tentacle in the mouth" thing was a facepalm moment), but still, it was very entertaining! :-)
Dec 10, 2015 8:37 PM

Mar 2013
yea good storyline..... art.... msuusic.... i guess
Mar 25, 2016 12:57 AM

Dec 2015
Classic (not in a bad way) and effective, bare some astonishing moments (living rocket punch? XD).
Usual good drawings (for a Madhouse OAV).

3/5
Score: 6.5-/10
Rei_IIINov 2, 2016 8:11 AM
Apr 3, 2016 8:10 PM

Apr 2014
I enjoyed this for the most part. The one thing i always have a problem with is (in reference to the beginning on the way to the hot springs) If your being chased by a tractor trailer, just stop the car and turn around. He will either take 10 minutes to do a u-turn or have to drive god knows how long to find a spot to pull around into. By then you will be miles down the road.
---------My Profile------------
Apr 19, 2016 1:16 AM

Nov 2008
It's OK for a quick horror flick that features gore needs.
Jun 1, 2016 12:39 PM

Jun 2009
I found it to be a fun anime. The story was interesting and it did had some really cool ideas. I like the idea of demonic virus. This anime was like Devilman meets Resident Evil in a way. I'm glad that I bought the DVD a few years back. I won't mind if they remade it into a full series one day.
Jan 27, 2017 7:14 PM

Apr 2012
Sadly 90s Japan seems to have run out of good demon horror-based stories (the age of Cyberpunk after all, but the 80s/early 90s was great for it). This does try, with the biotech elements, and classic Madhouse production / Kawajiri scripting but its main failing is that it's just largely boring (and the creature designs aren't great).

ballistique said:
I don't know if anyone noticed this one (and I guess it's one of the less absurd things in this OVA), but boobs-with-teeth girl's father has an actual dungeon in his house! Complete with hooks on the walls to chain up people and old style prison bars. Good for him that he swings that way I guess, I can't imagine that people with other fetishes have the facilities and equipment to contain a person that suddenly grows teeth where there shouldn't be any.

LOL nice observation ^_^
BlackoutingJan 27, 2017 8:35 PM
May 21, 2019 5:37 AM

Jan 2013
So it's basically a crap old hentai but the fun parts aren't there.
Sep 9, 2020 8:58 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I want to like it. But everything just felt weird, and so wrong at the same time. I feel guilty with the guy that couldn't return to his normal life. Because of his disease. But, whatever happened, this show simply fine and had a little okay moments to me. 6/10 (complete review can be checked at my profile)
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 31, 2020 2:37 PM

Jun 2014
Hm this was a 4/10 at best.

Had some fun to it but not enough to make it memorable or worthwhile.
:3
Mar 30, 2021 4:18 PM

Jun 2016
They certainly don't make shows or ova's like these anymore. A shame really, although the closest thing to stuff like this, is hentai, minus the gore, of course.

For an hour long ova, I never did feel like I got much out of it. Two demon fighting scientists, one of whom is a half demon himself. It kind of felt in a way like an origin story for a new hero, but it forgot to say how he got his powers, or in this case the demon. The background art was very nice, the animation stiff at points, quite a few still frames, and that character design, especially the faces, seemed a bit off.

Jan 8, 2023 9:28 AM
Jan 2021
Karura_Jiinsaru said:
At least we finally get to know the origins of a certain member from the Addams Family ;D

6/10. Komada pwns!

LoL I just saw the Wednesday series and today saw this ova. Won't be surprised if the hand dissolves inside Wednesday or Enid.
Jan 8, 2023 9:30 AM
Jan 2021
I totally enjoyed this ova till the part they meet that fortune teller, after that it was all downhill
Jul 27, 2023 12:19 AM
May 2017
There was room for improvement but I don't think it was trying to be anyway big; so it's alright. 
Feb 25, 4:58 AM
Oct 2009
Decent enough.

OST was excellent at some part.

They wrapped it up a bit too quickly. Maybe could've given us 10 more minutes to build on the characters.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.