Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 15, 2010 12:52 AM

May 2009
So how do people (like classmates or coworkers) react when they find out you are an otaku/watch anime?

With me, there are two reactions that I see the most. First one is the one where people think Anime = Hentai. I always have to explain that there is more than that. The second reaction is interest, how did I ended up watching anime? In really rare cases, they look at me like I'm some alien >.<
祇園精舎の鐘の声、諸行無常の響きあり。娑羅双樹の花の色、盛者必衰の理をあらわす。
おごれる人も久しからず、唯春の夜の夢のごとし。たけき者も遂にはほろびぬ、偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
The sound of the Gion Shōja bells echoes the impermanence of all things; the color of the sāla flowers reveals the truth that the prosperous must decline. The proud do not endure, they are like a dream on a spring night; the mighty fall at last, they are as dust before the wind.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 15, 2010 9:08 AM

May 2010
Yes, I know right?
I just took a year of school to watch anime, But when I was at school people freaked out when they found out I was an Otaku.. All the people in my class believe that anime only consists of Pokemon and Hentai not knowing the word for hentai seeing that they don't know anything about anime. People look at me like I am crazy when I get into the room and there's usually some talking behind my back seeing that a 17 year old girl is watching ''Cartoons'' as they call it. This tends to make me get mad when people call anime cartoons and manga Pocket comics.. Its not nearly the same..

Not to long ago before I took a year of school my teacher called the Manga I was reading Donald Duck. she even stood behind me and saw it wasn't donald duck. My teacher is a anti Weeabo and so she did all she could to nag at me about me using to much time on ''cartoons'' and to little time at school.. All though my Homeworks and all that always were done..
Also my parents nag at me about being in my room all the time instead of coming out and watching normal booring tv with them and my siblings..

(Happily living as an antisocial)

Being an Otaku nowadays doesn't really become to popular among either adults or teenagers. I am saying this from experience. :D I Can totally see that people wishes to keep this as a secret other than telling everybody. Allthough I bear my status as an Otaku with pride and I would not want to live otherwise..
MonjaElisaNov 15, 2010 9:11 AM
Nov 15, 2010 9:22 AM

Nov 2007
I feel the same way, even though I don't experience with those because I don't tell them that I'm otaku (I don't talk to them anyway... enjoys being as an antisocial), except my family.

One of them got tired of me staying all night watching anime online and "never grow" up because she considers that anime is for kids (which is not true because there are anime that's suitable for adults).

She also heard about bad influence like violence and hentai from anime and manga, so she has bad impression about it.

After another one of my family, who is very understanding of me and sees being otaku as interest, he convinced her that anime is not that bad.

She was convinced, but she still doesn't want me always watching anime and stuff because it will never be my job because I have no ability to create (consider anime as a hobby or being in a company that create those pop cultures).

It got better when there's anime clubs in the universities. Because I can be free with those with the same interest.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 15, 2010 9:58 AM

May 2009
I've tried a little of everything when telling people about my interest. Some of them laughed and all that, thinking it was all only about pokémon and whatever (that was some years ago now) but I'e also tried where some others from my class came to me and asked me what I watched. It turned out that they were interested in it too and we started talking like that ^^

And now, I don't care what others think of my interest in anime and Japan in general. Today, my whole 'family' (group of really close friends) are all anime geeks and they really are the best friends I have so I don't need anything else.

I feel really sorry for those who only think of anime as hentai or pokémon related stuff. They don't know what they're talking about and they are really missing something good.
Nov 15, 2010 8:59 PM

Aug 2008
Surprisingly, no one has really thought of me as weird when they find out that I like anime. I'm pretty open about it too, since I'm always drawing anime and manga pictures. I guess they just don't know how much of a hardcore anime fan I am... ._.

I don't think many people know about hentai in my area... no one ever mentions that, and they're usually surprised when they see something perverted in anime since it's supposed to be a cartoon. A lot of people do think about Pokemon when they see anime, though. But there are a lot of people in my school who like Pokemon as well. xD
Nov 16, 2010 2:09 PM

Jun 2009
No reaction for me since I don't ever tell anyone. Only my mother knows. She found me watching Detective Conan once and she said, "You watch this kind of stuff?". She then watched along with me for like five minutes until she fell asleep. Lol.
I spend a lot of time in my room doing things otakus do. But my mother doesn't mind, because she knows I'm uncurably antisocial. So she thinks that I need something to do when I'm by myself anyways.
Dec 6, 2010 11:51 AM

May 2010
the first thing tell people is i am an otaku, most say "what the f**k is that."
some say "oh that cool" and in rare cases they say " OMG I DO TO LETS BE FRIENDS!"

but i guess some times i forget to tell people and they say "really?"

i know i few people who hate anime but we get along....i try not to bring up anime as much as i can >.<; its hard though...
Dec 8, 2010 10:43 AM

Mar 2009
I don't tell people that i like these things.. i let them find out themselves :D
I have 3 very close friends, one (who is like a big sister for me) think's it's okay, one likes it too, and one, well.. when she found it out she was like OMGWTFBBQ? :D
my whole family know it, and they don't think i'm weird ^^ i watched anime once with my granny and my mother, and they liked it ^^

Oh, and when my so-called exboyfriend found out (when we started dating) that i like animes and mangas (i said i liked Nana), he watched the first ep of Nana.
The other day he told me:
-That's some cool thing.
I was so damn proud that i like "cool things" :P

Dec 8, 2010 12:08 PM

Nov 2010
I don't exactly broadcast that I like anime, mostly cause I am just a quiet introvert, but if someone asks I will tell them...I really don't give a rat's butt what people think of me :|

Most people are just like "What's anime?" when I tell them what I am into |D

My cousins hate anime ( though they seemed to like Vampire Knight and Hellsing Ultimate ) and they think I am a weirdo for liking it >.>
Psycho-DuskDec 8, 2010 12:31 PM
We are all MAD here...
Oct 10, 2015 10:46 AM
Apr 2015
(ノ ゚Д゚)ノ ==== ┻━━┻

They try to force you to be a 'normal person' or do all sorts of 'things' to keep you from anime.

Worst that can happen is isolation from peeps that think they're so 'cool' and all.

When that happens you can always ignore them OR
scream profanities in japanese at them(you can't get in trouble because of the language barrier )
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Nominations for the best of the year 2011

Nasuada25 - Dec 3, 2011

6 by tsubasalover »»
Jan 11, 2012 12:25 AM

Sticky: » [OPEN] Member Cards for Everyone!

Zettablob - Nov 16, 2010

27 by Bouum »»
Dec 31, 2011 1:21 PM

» In what kind of school club would you like to be if you would go to a Japanese school?

Nasuada25 - Jul 15, 2011

4 by Bunnyxgun »»
Dec 2, 2011 1:49 PM

Sticky: » Birthday Calendar

Nasuada25 - Jul 15, 2011

5 by Bunnyxgun »»
Aug 2, 2011 4:50 AM

» How do you feel about all those American style anime?

Nasuada25 - Jul 15, 2011

2 by tsubasalover »»
Jul 15, 2011 8:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.