Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 6, 2010 1:52 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Conan finally gets to Indestruia and finds Lana :) in a running and action-packed episode.
Oct 1, 2010 4:35 PM

Feb 2010
That Fuhrer guy sure doesn't seem too nice and Industria is not very welcoming of strangers... But it felt good to see Conan and Lana reunite in the end :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 15, 2011 11:40 PM
Jul 2010
Goes without saying that the child-abusing leader guy is a massive douche, but I want to overanalyze this. He clearly has a lot of power and loyal troops ready at the call, yet he still personally went in to insult, threaten, and slap Lana around. His likely motivations were two: he wanted to directly contrast the older and kinder council with a brutal totalitarian force, as a kind of good cop/bad cop interrogation routine; or he got personal kicks out of hurting helpless little girls. I suspect it was the latter, judging by his overly emotional reaction to Lana calling Industria evil. If a child called America an evil empire, for example, I imagine any politician or reasonably educated person would laugh a little and maybe explain things calmly. This leader guy is very unstable, probably sadistic beyond the standard villain role.

Anyway I liked the scene at the end. Very nice. I bet if this show were remade the inside architecture of Industria, and especially the skyline visible during Conan's climbing at the end, would be amazing to see.
Aug 21, 2011 8:51 PM

Feb 2010
So far this show feels like a drawn out hybrid of Nausicaa and Mononoke - two Ghibli films that I honestly don't care for. The stories feel farfetched and the villainization of technology comes off as preachy.

Conan has its charms: I love the depiction of island life in ep. 1 and Conan's interactions with Lana are adorable. But if the story continues on a generic save-the-heroine-and-the-world track, I might have to call it quits.
Apr 8, 2015 3:14 AM

Jun 2013
I don't get why Conan got so attached to Lana, I mean they barely know each other. If they were spending more time together back when they're in Remnant Island, it could be more believable. Just a minor complaint though.
Jul 3, 2015 10:13 AM

Mar 2014
I feel kind of conflicted about Industria.
Sure, the brown-coat guy is a child-abusing asshole, and is clearly taking a villain role, especially with how he threataned Lana with that branding gun.

However, Industria itself doesn't appear to be evil, as evidenced by the council, who are simply working in the interest of helping the human race survive, through the use of solar energy.

This makes me think less of Lana's grandfather, who abandoned Industria taking with him the secret of solar power.

Of course, the council still decided to hold Lana against her will, even though they agreed that kidnapping her was wrong. So maybe they're not as good as they first appear.

It's an interesting dichotomy, and there doesn't appear to be any clear-cut good and evil in the show just yet, that's pretty impressive for a show from 1978. Anyway, I guess I'll see how things pan out from here.

Impala said:
I don't get why Conan got so attached to Lana, I mean they barely know each other.

Because she's the first girl Conan ever saw in his entire life, and he's a young boy who is heavily swayed by his instincts. I feel like that's enough of an explanation to me.
::End of Transmission::

Jan 24, 2016 9:37 AM

Nov 2011
I knew Conan was strong but not THAT strong. JESUS

and of course, the obligatory square-headed, broad-bodied business-suit-donned Miyazaki villain

seriously
1978??
still can't believe it
the quality of this shit is just GREAT
Nov 13, 2017 2:58 PM

Jun 2014
Industria isn't exactly the nicest looking place. A lot of corruption going on there.

Conan and Lana have finally reunited, but can Conan help her escape?

Apr 6, 2018 7:53 AM

Nov 2016
Don't know how to feel about Industria,but I'm curious to see what's beneath the nice facade.

Conan and Lana reunited,simple,but cute coment.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 25, 2018 6:44 AM

Jul 2008
How the heck is Conan that strong?! Does he have a devil fruit?
Jun 2, 2019 8:29 AM

Jul 2008
Seems like Industria isn't filled with bad guys, like the old men committee. The squared jaw guy seems like he owns a private prison for profit or something, the place looks huge.
Mar 27, 1:22 PM
Oct 2018
This show reminds me a lot of Wind Waker. From the post apocalyptic setting, to sailing the seas, even how Conan has to save Lana which is similar to Link trying to save his sister in the Forsaken Fortress.
May 28, 11:53 PM

Aug 2021
Episode 5 out of 26, and he's already in Industria and found Lana. I wonder where the story goes from here.

Industria itself is what I imagined: a dictatorship of big wigs, no plants in sight, treating people like garbage. The main building looks like a prison. Didn't expect them to mark people as second class citizens, produce food out of plastic, and shoot children. It's not stuff you can cover with a promise of saving the world with solar power, the whole system is rotten.

What's more interesting is that some older characters, like that captain, don't seem 100% evil. They have some positive traits, and they're more of a product of their environment. That's why Conan, who lived on an island full of nature with his kind and wise grandpa, is so different.

Miyazaki was teaching us to view the world through children's eyes even back in the 70's.
SlavaOlkhovMay 29, 12:06 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 1 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 30, 2010

18 by SlavaOlkhov »»
May 22, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 26 Discussion

storm-12 - Aug 14, 2010

38 by Cosplay_Joe »»
May 12, 8:01 PM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 21 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 14, 2010

14 by Cosplay_Joe »»
May 9, 6:13 AM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 19 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 9, 2010

14 by MoblinGoblin »»
Apr 4, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Future Boy Conan Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Oct 8, 2010

11 by MoblinGoblin »»
Apr 4, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.