Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 21, 2010 11:43 AM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Inventive, imaginative and thoughtful, it goes for all of the episodes. Every single one of them was incredible.

Simply amazing.

And this was seriously hard to find... I'm glad I got my hands on this masterpiece.
VeethornJul 29, 2010 9:22 AM
Nov 29, 2014 6:45 AM

Feb 2014
This episode gave a nice closure to this anthology.
Quite enjoyable!
Mar 6, 2015 4:14 AM

Apr 2009
The robot carnival is finally defeated by a mere sand dune, it's not in Arrakis but I think Frank Herbert would be proud! The ending credits shows the robot carnival was a good thing in it's heyday but post credit scenes show even the little parts of the carnival even if they're still cute and entertaining has a tendency to explode.

Some episodes were OK, the other so-so. 6/10 overall for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 14, 2015 3:22 PM

Feb 2008
And so the robot carnival has ended. I knew that ball would explode at the end haha.

Pretty hit and miss compilation. Some movies were really good, some were really not good. Best would be Presence, but I also liked Star Light Angel and A Tale of Two Robots.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 23, 2015 6:29 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Some chapters were better than others, but undoubtedly this is a memorable compilation. Every now and again, writers and directors get a chance to create something for the sake of art, as opposed to make money. This is clearly the former.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 10, 2019 4:29 AM
Jul 2018
Ahh it has already come to an end :(

I enjoyed this film very much, enjoyed all the shorts. The beautiful animation and art style, attention to details, the soundtracks, imagination.. truly felt like a carnival. One of the most beautiful anime I have ever seen.. :*

^^agree with comment above.. this was art for art's sake. <3
Feb 13, 2020 12:29 PM

Feb 2017
Really good collection of shorts, glad I watched it. Great animation and nice to see great animators being able to go wild.
Oct 8, 2022 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
Ending is as crazy as opening of the OVA!!!
I thought we will have a heartwarming Ending but here we go, kaboom!!

Overall, half of this OVA was shit! 4.5/10!
Nov 28, 2022 7:49 AM

Jan 2013
Very interesting and unique shorts with the theme of robots.
For 1987 the animation definitely stands out.

Some stories were easy to follow, figuring out what the creator tries to tell us and others not as much like "Cloud"
I've always loved the blurred line between humans and robots / AI so the 4th one "Presence" resonated with me more than the others.

Glad these people got to show their skills as animators and story creators in these shorts, shame most of it never comes to a full series but maybe it doesn't need to.
Oct 17, 2023 3:14 AM

Aug 2018
A good ending episode, but the thing with this whole Robot Carnival is that it's nothing more than a display of some sort of achievements of 80's Japanese animation being done by most talented animators of that time and it shows, even if segments aren't all that interesting the quality in most of them is top notch for its time, thats what ultimately saves this from total obscurity and irrelevance.

7.4 10 is a pretty fair rating for something like this

More topics from this board

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 4 Discussion

botch - Dec 2, 2010

18 by Adnash »»
May 5, 6:59 AM

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 8 Discussion

tofei - Mar 6, 2015

5 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:40 PM

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 7 Discussion

Futa-chin_Kosuki - Nov 29, 2014

9 by -AlexL- »»
Jan 23, 2023 4:37 PM

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 6 Discussion

tofei - Mar 6, 2015

8 by removed-user »»
Oct 8, 2022 8:04 AM

Poll: » Robot Carnival Episode 5 Discussion

Futa-chin_Kosuki - Nov 29, 2014

8 by removed-user »»
Oct 8, 2022 7:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.