Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is the harem genre trashy?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 20, 2:06 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to RobertBobert
@ST63LTH So you hate a genre and love shows where that genre is one of the central themes, but you just ignore it? Okay, I got you.
@RobertBobert Precisely, I'm glad you understood what I was insinuating. It cleared up a lot of misunderstandings.
May 20, 2:10 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to ST63LTH
@RobertBobert Precisely, I'm glad you understood what I was insinuating. It cleared up a lot of misunderstandings.
@ST63LTH This was largely sarcasm, given how people usually call such things, but I think you understood everything perfectly well.
May 20, 2:18 AM

May 2015
Yes, harem is pure garbage, braindead trash.
May 20, 8:11 AM

Apr 2015
The only thing trashy here is people constantly making threads just to let themselves and others trash on genre's they don't like.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 20, 8:50 AM

May 2018
What good can come from something that has sexism and sexual fetishes as main themes? Nothing worthy, I guess.

May 20, 12:44 PM
Jun 2021
It's not the worst thread this is actually a good question, and yes it's the most trashy genres in anime
May 20, 9:17 PM

Jul 2016
You know what you're getting with a harem. Trashy no? But def not my genre of choice.
May 20, 10:22 PM

Jan 2017
I would say that it is not inherently trashy. It comes down to how the story is presented.
One of my favorite romcoms, which is also in this category, is KamiNomi.
Of course, I have bias, but I think KamiNomi presents the story in a great way.
May 21, 1:58 AM
Jun 2021
Nah, the biggest problem with harem shows and manga is that there are very few that actually dare to do a polygynous ending and, you know, show the MC with his harem completely assembled. Like it or not I think it's a gutsy move that deserves respect. Most of the supposed "harem" shows are just glorified love triangle romcoms, and I don't understand how that can be called "harem" at all.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 21, 6:47 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to TheMechaManiac
Nah, the biggest problem with harem shows and manga is that there are very few that actually dare to do a polygynous ending and, you know, show the MC with his harem completely assembled. Like it or not I think it's a gutsy move that deserves respect. Most of the supposed "harem" shows are just glorified love triangle romcoms, and I don't understand how that can be called "harem" at all.
@TheMechaManiac True, it's disappointing when harem anime don't end up in a harem. Btw, if you like real harem shows then this might be for you:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54714/Kimi_no_Koto_ga_Daidaidaidaidaisuki_na_100-nin_no_Kanojo
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 21, 9:20 AM

Jul 2013
Who would actually want a harem of sexy, underaged anime girls?? Sounds like a pedophile's wet dream to me...
May 21, 9:50 AM

Mar 2020
I love me some "to love ru" dose that make me trashy?
May 21, 10:20 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to enigmasauce
I love me some "to love ru" dose that make me trashy?
@enigmasauce alot of other anime are even more trashy than harem anime tbh...
May 21, 12:25 PM

Aug 2020
All i'm gonna say is if you hate haram anime you also by default hate sports anime. They are basically the same genre. You pick your team or in this case your girl and root for them. You follow their triumphs and struggles. And everyone knows the best thing about sports is shiting on the opposing teams. It's a journey for sure I wouldn't say it's the worst genre, like all genres you get your generic shows obviously. But when you get that well developed show it's peak or a parody like 100 Girlfriends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEp2YBw1Tq4&t=338s&ab_channel=Gigguk
TheSunLifeMay 21, 12:31 PM
"Bro, if you set your mind to it. You can jack off to anything."
☆☆☆☆☆
May 21, 12:37 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to TheSunLife
All i'm gonna say is if you hate haram anime you also by default hate sports anime. They are basically the same genre. You pick your team or in this case your girl and root for them. You follow their triumphs and struggles. And everyone knows the best thing about sports is shiting on the opposing teams. It's a journey for sure I wouldn't say it's the worst genre, like all genres you get your generic shows obviously. But when you get that well developed show it's peak or a parody like 100 Girlfriends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEp2YBw1Tq4&t=338s&ab_channel=Gigguk
@TheSunLife watch Harukana Receive for sexy anime girls btw...
May 21, 1:54 PM

Aug 2020
Reply to DesuMaiden
@TheSunLife watch Harukana Receive for sexy anime girls btw...
@DesuMaiden I'm offended you think I haven't already lol jk. Back in high school people would be like you have to watch Haikyuu, it's the best volleyball anime ever. Meanwhile I'm sitting quietly like Harukana Receive though. But for real Harem is a sports.
TheSunLifeMay 21, 5:29 PM
"Bro, if you set your mind to it. You can jack off to anything."
☆☆☆☆☆
May 21, 2:18 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Harems where MC doesn't accept the girls' affection are pretty gay. Unfortunately that's most harem anime. Go play VNs instead.
May 21, 2:19 PM

May 2023
This verdict from a site that analyzed my list should state my views on the genre..

May 21, 3:16 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to TheSunLife
@DesuMaiden I'm offended you think I haven't already lol jk. Back in high school people would be like you have to watch Haikyuu, it's the best volleyball anime ever. Meanwhile I'm sitting quietly like Harukana Receive though. But for real Harem is a sports.
@TheSunLife btw I dont typically list the anime shows (that I watch) on this site. I dont like people stalking me on social media.
May 21, 11:23 PM

Jan 2022
Harem is trashy if you're asking my opinion, yes. Then again, I think you really have done something wrong in order to get my opinion shown to you. Lol, have fun.
May 22, 8:48 AM

Oct 2014
It's trashy by design. That doesn't mean they're not enjoyable or that they shouldn't exist. I do enjoy some harem anime, but I can't deny that they're trashy.
May 22, 9:04 AM
Apr 2024
Depends on what you consider harem, by some definitions evangelion is one
May 22, 9:19 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to Tropisch
The only thing trashy here is people constantly making threads just to let themselves and others trash on genre's they don't like.
@Tropisch bros about to cry this time seeing these harem hate threads fr
May 22, 9:21 AM
Apr 2022
all of them are garbage some good ol horny pile garbage just for the sake of sexual content with useless sluts that have no lives and purpose unless yknow being just a massive fuck body cum dumpster slut kek......
May 22, 9:37 AM
Jun 2022
harem is not a trashy genre it is rather becoming trashier because of how badly an author executes it. That mostly nowadays is present (as far as I've noticed)
bleeeeghhMay 22, 9:43 AM
May 22, 9:43 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to dumbandinsane
@Tropisch bros about to cry this time seeing these harem hate threads fr
@dumbandinsane Didn't know pointing out the whole reason people make these types of threads is "crying", but then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting from someone who's username describes how they act.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 22, 10:03 PM

Jun 2011
Both harem and reverse harem are great, not one of my favorite genres, it's in the middle for me, definitely not worse than ecchi.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 22, 10:11 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Nemo_Niemand
What good can come from something that has sexism and sexual fetishes as main themes? Nothing worthy, I guess.
@Nemo_Niemand That could be applied to a lot of things depending on how wide your definition of "sexism" is.
May 22, 10:54 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to Tropisch
@dumbandinsane Didn't know pointing out the whole reason people make these types of threads is "crying", but then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting from someone who's username describes how they act.
@Tropisch woah a malding reply lol. I'm just telling the truth that haremsekai is the worst thing to exist only to be catered to sexless degenerates. Didn't expect someone to reply this malding hard from a guy whose bio this ugly.
May 26, 4:13 AM

May 2018
Reply to FanofAction
@Nemo_Niemand That could be applied to a lot of things depending on how wide your definition of "sexism" is.
@FanofAction Simply, representing women as objects. They are mostly judged by their appearances. Bust sizes, hair style, hair color, clothes, length of socks. Personality is the least thing the viewer is supposed to care about, if a character ever has any. Speaking of personalities, the girls, like NPCs, just have some built-in options instead. They have to fall for a protagonist. They don't have choice and they were not given any reasons. They just must to. Programmed to. And their personas are just some primitive, one-dimentional dere-shmere something.
Here, my dear viewer, a vast choice for you. Choose any OBJECT you desire. We have different hair colors, sock lengths and behavior patterns. They are all yours.

May 26, 5:08 AM

Aug 2012
I think ecchi, erotica, hentai, avante-garde, BL, and GL are worse than harem. There have been plenty of good harem anime, and I would agree that the genre has become bland and saturated in recent years. Is it the worst genre? Not by a long shot.
May 26, 7:14 AM

Oct 2013
Reply to Nemo_Niemand
@FanofAction Simply, representing women as objects. They are mostly judged by their appearances. Bust sizes, hair style, hair color, clothes, length of socks. Personality is the least thing the viewer is supposed to care about, if a character ever has any. Speaking of personalities, the girls, like NPCs, just have some built-in options instead. They have to fall for a protagonist. They don't have choice and they were not given any reasons. They just must to. Programmed to. And their personas are just some primitive, one-dimentional dere-shmere something.
Here, my dear viewer, a vast choice for you. Choose any OBJECT you desire. We have different hair colors, sock lengths and behavior patterns. They are all yours.
@Nemo_Niemand Alright. Well I'd argue portraying males as being unfaithful and willing to date multiple girls at the same time is also a form of sexism, but that's just me.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Would you watch AI anime?

solacez - 12 hours ago

27 by niknasr »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime would you consider a Soft-Seinen?

removed-user - May 28

36 by FanofAction »»
9 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - Yesterday

31 by niknasr »»
10 minutes ago

» Does complexity made an anime better? And what is your favourite complex anime

niknasr - May 30

29 by NickIsaac »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

87 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.