Forum Settings
Forums

Are newcomer edgy anime fans not edgelords but actually normies?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 18, 9:17 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Lucifrost
@LoveYourSmile
I dropped the anime before I got to any blood or rape. I still don't understand what it is I'm supposed to like about Berserk, aside from the art.
@Lucifrost

im not saying you should read it but you dropped it extremely early then. miura was still in his "idk what I'm doing" stages and most people aren't really into the black swordsman arc. when people r talking about the good stuff in berserk they're almost never talking about that arc. probably why the golden age arc is the most popular cuz that's when the story actually starts.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 9:47 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Adnash
While I'm not that much familiar with various subreddits or Reddit as a whole, I recall there are two big communities dedicated to Berserk. One of them is dead serious about this manga, and the other one is just focusing on more chilled way of enjoying it. They are two sides of one coin. However, from my experience, I found the latter group as way better to talk about Berserk than the former. You could laugh and have a nice chat, instead of feeling as if you walked on shattered glass, because someone might not feel good to hear that there are important scenes with dark elements crucial to either the lore or characters in a dark fantasy story.

Kenzolo-folk said:
I think some fans genuinely only like Berserk for the rape sometimes because it's all they talk about. Donovan, Griffith, the horse, Wyald, at a point it's just hard to associate with the fandom. These people used to be rare, but now they're more prevalent than the non-creepy berserk fans.
Many of them, at least from what I noticed from lurking both subreddits for a while, are just fooling around and trolling. They see how the other subreddit gets triggered by that jokes (I heard about people punished for mentioning controversial scenes without being 100% serious; dunno if that's true, because I'm not familiar with Reddit), so they proceed with triggering folks who are taking Berserk too seriously. Not to defend one or another group, like I said before, I think they represent two sides of that "Berserk fan" coin. One is dead serious, the other one is extremely chilled.

Kenzolo-folk said:
Miura has apologized for the weird scenes and toned them down, but it's still annoying that they exist.
If you are referring to his Le Figaro interview from 2019, then he mostly said he was guessing whether such scenes were necessary at the time he drew them. He was also talking about how the industry was back then and how it was during the time the interview was made.

Kenzolo-folk said:
i don't know why he feels the need to constantly show the females completely clothless and vulnerable for multiple panels or chapters to depict a rape scene. its why recommending it to people is so awkward, and why i don't do it anymore cuz its just too much lol.
While we can't be sure and probably we will never be sure, since Miura-sensei is no longer alive so he won't be able to elaborate on that subject, I think he might've had a weird fetish connected to such stuff. In some of his other manga, written back when he was still a young author, you could see similar scenes with sexually assaulted female characters. They looked like Casca in some cases, which makes me think that Miura-sensei perhaps liked short-haired women. Too bad he had to put them in scenes involving sexual assault. Years later his preferences changed and he began putting lolicon stuff into his works, Berserk included, but not only. For instance, there was that one disgusting "golden shower" scene, appearing out of the blue, in Gigantomachia.

Kenzolo-folk said:
You can spot the edgy fans when they justify the weird rape scenes by saying "it shows the horrific reality of the berserk world" like cmon ☠️☠️
Yeah, that's the certified classic. xD People who think that forced scenes depicting controversial and disturbing stuff are the very essence of dark fantasy. Sure, a lot of dark fantasy stories have them, I don't deny that. But if they appear out of place, feel extremely forced and their sole purpose is shock value comparable to a ghost jumping outta wardrobe, then they belong to the same group as they'd belong if they appeared, even if toned down, in any other genre. I mean the group of bad, low-quality writing, lol.
@Adnash
Adnash said:
If you are referring to his Le Figaro interview from 2019, then he mostly said he was guessing whether such scenes were necessary at the time he drew them. He was also talking about how the industry was back then and how it was during the time the interview was made.

Yeah but when asked about the weird scenes he first says "sorry for those!" Or something along those lines.

Adnash said:
Many of them, at least from what I noticed from lurking both subreddits for a while, are just fooling around and trolling. They see how the other subreddit gets triggered by that jokes (I heard about people punished for mentioning controversial scenes without being 100% serious; dunno if that's true, because I'm not familiar with Reddit), so they proceed with triggering folks who are taking Berserk too seriously. Not to defend one or another group, like I said before, I think they represent two sides of that "Berserk fan" coin. One is dead serious, the other one is extremely chilled.

Yeah I dont approach berserk with that serious mindset either, its just weird seeing the rape jokes concerning real people.. there should be a line for these type of jokes when real people r involved.

Adnash said:
They looked like Casca in some cases, which makes me think that Miura-sensei perhaps liked short-haired women.

Yeah i remember in an interview he said he created casca because that was his ultimate type, a darkskin muscular woman with short hair lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 10:25 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@Lucifrost

im not saying you should read it but you dropped it extremely early then. miura was still in his "idk what I'm doing" stages and most people aren't really into the black swordsman arc. when people r talking about the good stuff in berserk they're almost never talking about that arc. probably why the golden age arc is the most popular cuz that's when the story actually starts.
@Kenzolo-folk
I was told the anime I dropped adapts the golden age arc and not the black swordsman arc.
その目だれの目?
May 18, 10:46 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Lucifrost
@Kenzolo-folk
I was told the anime I dropped adapts the golden age arc and not the black swordsman arc.
@Lucifrost
oh sorry, i thought you were talking about the manga. Are you talking about the movies or the '97 version?
May 18, 10:51 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@Lucifrost
oh sorry, i thought you were talking about the manga. Are you talking about the movies or the '97 version?
@Kenzolo-folk
The older anime is the one I tried. But does it matter? I heard they're both based on golden age.
その目だれの目?
May 18, 10:59 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Lucifrost
@Kenzolo-folk
The older anime is the one I tried. But does it matter? I heard they're both based on golden age.
@Lucifrost
the movies dont have the blackswordsman arc but the older one does. the blackswordsman arc is the first episode and u said u dropped it pretty early so I was just assuming u were still in that arc.
May 18, 11:08 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@Lucifrost
the movies dont have the blackswordsman arc but the older one does. the blackswordsman arc is the first episode and u said u dropped it pretty early so I was just assuming u were still in that arc.
@Kenzolo-folk
Oh, I see. I did hear the 1st episode was not indicative of the series, so I made sure to sit through 2 whole episodes before dropping Berserk.
その目だれの目?
May 18, 6:02 PM

Jul 2013
I dont like normies tbh...but I am not a total edgelord either...
May 18, 6:09 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to Zarutaku
@inim Whoa, no need to go into overdrive. This topic is about being edgy, not wedgy.
@Zarutaku Ha! This got a genuine chuckle out of me, kudos. Shoujo Tsubaki... Yeah, that's a special kind of edgy.
May 18, 6:29 PM

Jul 2013
I am not edgy whatsoever lol...or I am denying my edgy-ness???
May 19, 1:29 AM

Jan 2022
@inim Checked out Kizuoibito, expected them to pull an Angel Cop and go full /pol/, but it was just the CIA. Kind of disappointed.
May 19, 3:06 AM

Apr 2019
Reply to LenRea
@inim Checked out Kizuoibito, expected them to pull an Angel Cop and go full /pol/, but it was just the CIA. Kind of disappointed.
@LenRea I'd argue the main "attraction" in Kizuoibito are his grlfriends. Pattern is: he rapes them, they enjoy it, get under his spell, and eventually sacrify their life for him. Enjoyable rape put to the extreme. The scene with Misty and the ship's steering wheel is really hot, if you are into that fetish.
inimMay 19, 3:10 AM

May 19, 3:24 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to inim
@LenRea I'd argue the main "attraction" in Kizuoibito are his grlfriends. Pattern is: he rapes them, they enjoy it, get under his spell, and eventually sacrify their life for him. Enjoyable rape put to the extreme. The scene with Misty and the ship's steering wheel is really hot, if you are into that fetish.
inim said:
The scene with Misty and the ship's steering wheel is really hot, if you are into that fetish.
Do you by a chance know a video with a fine cut of these scenes? I don't really want to dive deep into the genre, but I don't mind to check a few scenes for educational purposes.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 19, 4:02 AM

Apr 2019
Reply to LoveYourSmile
inim said:
The scene with Misty and the ship's steering wheel is really hot, if you are into that fetish.
Do you by a chance know a video with a fine cut of these scenes? I don't really want to dive deep into the genre, but I don't mind to check a few scenes for educational purposes.
@LoveYourSmile No self-respecting hoster would carry that video. The scene mentioned is ep4 around minute 4, but there is no shortage of that type. It's just the one which I remember best. Here's the overview video in YouTube compliant editing. https://youtu.be/ffM5vEMiFIM

May 19, 7:10 AM

Jul 2013
There are no edgelords on MAL btw...or are there??
May 19, 7:17 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to DesuMaiden
There are no edgelords on MAL btw...or are there??
@DesuMaiden I personally think you should get arrested for your crimes against humanity btw... or should you??
May 19, 7:48 AM

May 2018
What is "edgy" anyway? I'm still not sure if I understand this term correct. Is it about trying hard to look cool and dramatic while exaggerating everything to a comical degree? I assume it's something like AOT, right?

May 19, 8:55 AM

Apr 2019
Reply to Nemo_Niemand
What is "edgy" anyway? I'm still not sure if I understand this term correct. Is it about trying hard to look cool and dramatic while exaggerating everything to a comical degree? I assume it's something like AOT, right?
Nemo_Niemand said:
What is "edgy" anyway?
Everybody who likes 10% more gore and violence than you.

May 19, 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to LenRea
@DesuMaiden I personally think you should get arrested for your crimes against humanity btw... or should you??
@LenRea i am a virtuous person...there are people that are much more evil than me btw...
May 19, 1:10 PM

Apr 2012
Depends on a person. Although if a person tries to claim the status of an elitist, while remembering only extremely mainstream “elite” shows, then this is a reason to think, of course. It's like that type of yuri "fan" who really just loves femslash shipping in all-female shows, while knowing very little about the genre itself and ignoring its nuances. Or some shonen fans who feel that a derisive and derogatory tone towards their supposedly "favorite" genre elevates them above the average shonen fan.
May 21, 1:40 AM

Oct 2022
wow, what a schizo-esque thread lmao
May 21, 1:44 AM

Jan 2022
Reply to FruitPunchBaka
wow, what a schizo-esque thread lmao
@FruitPunchBaka you have a ryan gosling blade runner pfp
May 21, 2:24 AM

Oct 2022
Reply to LenRea
@FruitPunchBaka you have a ryan gosling blade runner pfp
@LenRea i'm literally schizo, and a normie too ;))
May 21, 12:17 PM

Jul 2013
Anime fans are usually not normies imo...
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

89 by CareBear »»
3 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - Yesterday

22 by Serafos »»
13 minutes ago

» Would you watch AI anime?

solacez - Yesterday

27 by niknasr »»
19 minutes ago

» What anime would you consider a Soft-Seinen?

removed-user - May 28

36 by FanofAction »»
25 minutes ago

» do you judge different animes differently ?

ame - Yesterday

31 by niknasr »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.