Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Konosuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 2, 7:37 PM

Feb 2018
It seems the subs are really uniform, using a lot of gen z crap that wont be relevant next year, and for some reason the only word they know for sake is bubbly. They can't even use the word sake.
May 2, 7:41 PM

Sep 2018
I noticed a lot more subs nowadays are pushing gen z slang. Sad state of translating industry atm.
May 2, 8:08 PM
Mar 2023
rohan121 said:
I noticed a lot more subs nowadays are pushing gen z slang. Sad state of translating industry atm.

I fear they'll start using skibidi toilet and gyaat in a few years 😑
May 2, 8:20 PM
Dec 2021
I think it’s hilarious. Like how they used 'joever' in Girls Band Cry. It completely destroyed the emotional impact of the scene but it made me chuckle.

May 2, 8:30 PM
Apr 2022
Not sure about the rest of it but they call it bubbly in the LN too
May 2, 8:35 PM
Oct 2019
I hated when they change words like 夜這い(yobai) and 中レベル into slang to mean different things. Especially when Chris sees Kazuma again for the second time in Ep. 4, I don’t why the word “Bootycall” was needed in that scene.1
May 2, 8:56 PM

Dec 2020
Dashiva761 said:
It seems the subs are really uniform, using a lot of gen z crap that wont be relevant next year, and for some reason the only word they know for sake is bubbly. They can't even use the word sake.

aqua has always called it bubbly since season 1
May 2, 9:25 PM
Jun 2021
looked it up, shuwashuwa means bubbly
we're connected by the black thread of fate, after all
May 2, 9:45 PM
Dec 2022
just watch the dub. you wouldn't be whining if you just did so.
May 3, 12:08 AM

Jan 2013
You're exaggerating, but it fits much better in a show like this than some of the others I've seen this season, so it's whatever.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 3, 1:50 AM

Jul 2015
It's not like people were calling out localizers for a while now or something...

May 3, 5:52 AM
Nov 2023
Eleben said:
I think it’s hilarious. Like how they used 'joever' in Girls Band Cry. It completely destroyed the emotional impact of the scene but it made me chuckle.

Actually all subs are fan subs since they are not officially out of japan.
May 3, 6:32 AM
Jun 2020
Are you talking about Crunchyroll subs or pirate subs?
May 3, 6:59 AM
Mar 2021
Don't know about y'all but I laughed my ass off when Nagatoro said "sus" in the anime.
May 3, 7:04 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Yacinganapathi
Eleben said:

@Yacinganapathi Well, no. Fansub has a specific meaning, the subs that licensed streaming platforms do aren't fansubs.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 3, 7:09 AM

Jul 2023
I feel like Kazuma saying, “we’re cooked!” is surprisingly fitting. Especially for an anime of this genre where the comedy aspect is relevant for the show.

As long as it doesn’t ruin the anime, it shouldn’t matter too much. I found it funny tbh.
It'll all be okay in the end. If you're not okay, it's not the end.
May 3, 7:25 AM
May 2022
Honestly I think it works for Konosuba, as long as it’s not too obnoxious. Pretty sure they’ve always called it bubbly, too.
May 3, 8:54 AM
Aug 2023
Dashiva761 said:

They have always said bubbly
May 3, 8:55 AM
Aug 2023
I thought I was the only one who noticed this.
May 3, 9:00 AM
Aug 2022
Just learn Japanese bro 😎
May 3, 10:11 AM
Sep 2020
Kazuma said “mid” one time, calm down. Also the subs keep saying “bubbly” because Aqua is not saying sake. It sounds to me like “Shiwa shiwa” which doesn’t seem to mean “bubbly” exactly, but it’s adjective-like in the same way, and closer than having her say sake, alcohol, or anything else as specific.
May 3, 10:56 AM
Oct 2019
Varekk said:
Kazuma said “mid” one time, calm down. Also the subs keep saying “bubbly” because Aqua is not saying sake. It sounds to me like “Shiwa shiwa” which doesn’t seem to mean “bubbly” exactly, but it’s adjective-like in the same way, and closer than having her say sake, alcohol, or anything else as specific.

Well, you cannot forget the “Booty Call” scene. That one doesn’t fit at all. And I did hear it over and over again until I realized the context is completely different. The pictures down below are what was translated, but this is what I heard them saying:
Kazuma - 男の部屋を夜這いにきて、さらわれた姫をあげるとかどんな美人局だよ > What kind of badger game are you pulling where you sneak into a man’s room and offer to hand over the kidnapped princess?
Chris - 夜這いじゃないよ!美人局もないよ!> I’m not breaking in your room! It’s not a badger game either!
May 3, 11:11 AM
Oct 2019
Dashiva761 said:

I do agree with your point, but your example isn’t the best example. シュワシュワー or ShuwaShuwa is a word that usually applies to carbonated drinks. So calling it bubbly is ok. It’s a different story when they use words such as “Mid” which was translated from 中レベル, or mid-level. They translated 高レベル and 低レベル correctly, so using “Mid” is inconsistent.
May 3, 11:15 AM
Sep 2020
PGMYT said:
Varekk said:

Well, you cannot forget the “Booty Call” scene. That one doesn’t fit at all. And I did hear it over and over again until I realized the context is completely different. The pictures down below are what was translated, but this is what I heard them saying:
Kazuma - 男の部屋を夜這いにきて、さらわれた姫をあげるとかどんな美人局だよ > What kind of badger game are you pulling where you sneak into a man’s room and offer to hand over the kidnapped princess?
Chris - 夜這いじゃないよ!美人局もないよ!> I’m not breaking in your room! It’s not a badger game either!

Seems like a case of ‘This doesn’t make sense in English without additional context, what do we do?’ And a, perhaps, subpar solution. Though it fit well enough from Kazuma’s mouth, I just thought “that sounds like the translator was reaching, there.” and shrugged it off. But all in all, fair enough.
May 3, 11:25 AM
Oct 2019
Varekk said:
PGMYT said:

Seems like a case of ‘This doesn’t make sense in English without additional context, what do we do?’ And a, perhaps, subpar solution. Though it fit well enough from Kazuma’s mouth, I just thought “that sounds like the translator was reaching, there.” and shrugged it off. But all in all, fair enough.

The word booty call should have no place in this series. That word is not only a western term, but it’s also a gen Z word that should not belong.
May 3, 11:38 AM
Sep 2020
PGMYT said:
Varekk said:

The word booty call should have no place in this series. That word is not only a western term, but it’s also a gen Z word that should not belong.

Like I said: Fair enough.
May 3, 11:41 AM
Sep 2020
PGMYT said:
Dashiva761 said:

I do agree with your point, but your example isn’t the best example. シュワシュワー or ShuwaShuwa is a word that usually applies to carbonated drinks. So calling it bubbly is ok. It’s a different story when they use words such as “Mid” which was translated from 中レベル, or mid-level. They translated 高レベル and 低レベル correctly, so using “Mid” is inconsistent.

Ah, I missed the ユ sound in my explanation. Thank you for clarifying that.
May 3, 2:17 PM

Jan 2019
PGMYT said:
Varekk said:

booty call is not a gen z term, it's been around since the 90s

May 3, 11:07 PM
Apr 2022
VW_Golf_4 said:
Don't know about y'all but I laughed my ass off when Nagatoro said "sus" in the anime.

I feel that was okay to do in 2021
May 4, 12:27 PM
Dec 2022
kylekingsley said:
Just learn Japanese bro 😎

nobody
~ feminist influencer logic ~

me :- ooh iam homeless 🤦🏻‍♂️, I am so said, and struggling

her :- if you're homeless, then just buy a home.

problem solved, lived happily ever after
May 4, 5:19 PM
Jun 2023
Just you it’s still good
May 4, 6:35 PM

Apr 2018
Using slang and terms that might quickly become outdated can definitely detract from the viewing experience
May 4, 11:41 PM
Feb 2022
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

I usually watch Konosuba dubbed, but this is the first actual Konosuba season (not counting the spinoff) that I'm watching as it's released, so I'm watching subbed because I didn't want to wait two extra weeks.
May 5, 6:31 AM
Dec 2022
Owlblocks said:
Pablo_Neruda1 said:

I usually watch Konosuba dubbed, but this is the first actual Konosuba season (not counting the spinoff) that I'm watching as it's released, so I'm watching subbed because I didn't want to wait two extra weeks.

well, now you've gotta face the consequences.
May 5, 8:54 PM

Apr 2018
Official sub is bad in general
May 9, 9:56 AM
Apr 2018
The use of honorifics are inconsistency, too. Like they use -san and -sama sometimes when characters show extra respect toward someone, but then they changed Iris-sama to Princess Iris, Mitsurugi-dono to Sir Mitsurugi, and Iris calls Kazuma "Elder Brother" instead of Onii-sama (that ruined the atmosphere).

I mean they use "Eris-sama" in the sub, but why not "Iris-sama" or "Onii-sama"? In the same show, same episode.
May 9, 7:21 PM

Jan 2019
Reply to PGMYT
Varekk said:

@PGMYT I would have used quotes and used "night visit" instead of booty call, but it's honestly close enough.

Chris - 夜這いじゃないよ!> I’m not breaking in your room! <- this is straight up wrong, 夜這い does mean going into someones room for some sexy time
May 10, 11:31 AM
Oct 2019
chomusukeeeee said:
@PGMYT I would have used quotes and used "night visit" instead of booty call, but it's honestly close enough.

Chris - 夜這いじゃないよ!> I’m not breaking in your room! <- this is straight up wrong, 夜這い does mean going into someones room for some sexy time

I think that makes more sense and adds a certain implication to it. I was simply going off by what I heard and tried to piece it together. It’s just a real shame these companies go out of their way to add western term when translating lines.
May 10, 1:50 PM

Dec 2017
Reply to gloozed
I feel like Kazuma saying, “we’re cooked!” is surprisingly fitting. Especially for an anime of this genre where the comedy aspect is relevant for the show.

As long as it doesn’t ruin the anime, it shouldn’t matter too much. I found it funny tbh.
@lmosa yeah but then you realize Konosuba is from 2016 and predates all of this crap
May 17, 10:23 AM

Jul 2019
Reply to PGMYT
Varekk said:
PGMYT said:

@PGMYT Booty call was originated in the 1990's, it's millennial slang.
May 21, 9:56 AM
Dec 2022
animegamer245 said:
@Pablo_Neruda1 ''Just watch a worse translation, then you wouldn't be whining.'' What makes you think the dub is translated any better?

personal experience since I'm watching it.
May 21, 12:10 PM
May 2023
Yacinganapathi said:
Eleben said:

And if you wait 6 hours for the human-made fansubs to come out, they’re totally fine. The “joever” subs that some streaming sites seem to have picked up are machine translated from French and generally suck.

I really hope that show gets an official release eventually, it’s way too good.
May 21, 1:51 PM
Dec 2022
animegamer245 said:
@Pablo_Neruda1 You've only watched 2 episodes.

4 episodes you mean.
May 21, 2:28 PM
Dec 2022

I don't update my list until the anime is done airing. it's too much of a hassle.
May 29, 10:48 AM
Apr 2018
Did they just hire Eiyuuden Chronicle localizers to start working on EP8? The script has like tripled the amount of slangs and spiced up translations.

Or they read people's complaints and intentionally make it worse?
May 29, 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
Everything is lacking this season...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

InfinityDude88 - May 29

84 by ReConstructor »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 22

135 by ReConstructor »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 15

185 by ReConstructor »»
Jun 3, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8

163 by SrakhMoment »»
Jun 3, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 3 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 24

132 by Agamenon »»
May 31, 5:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.