Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 27, 1:06 PM

Jul 2022
The director of JoJo's French publisher, Tonkam, speaks about Dragona in an interview.

"In Jojolion, there was more horror, which was complicated to do when it was published in Weekly Shōnen Jump. The trans character wouldn't have made it into Jump either."

Source on Twitter

The French article
Apr 27, 1:20 PM

Apr 2016
Man, the French has been taking some Ls these past few weeks.
Apr 27, 1:51 PM
Aug 2022
It’s pretty obvious that they’re trans. They address it 5 seconds into the part
Apr 27, 11:25 PM
Oct 2023
There is absolutelty no exact official confirmation that they're trans. I will definetly get misunderstood with this messege, but I need to write it. First of all, the source of this info is some random editor from France who just noted his own observation and everybody seems to already go with it like gospel, when I'm pretty sure that that guy probably wasn't even near the prefecture Araki hails from, much less him at all, and as such I doubt he would even get this info from him.

Second of all, Dragona's characterization I believe is more meant to fit a person who is not gender-affirmate at that time rather then fit an exact bracket of a specific gender. I honestly believe that such "non-specific" characterization at that time is way more poignant and important rather then them being all confirmed, and it just shows Araki's compassion and understanding to the entire trans community.

Dragona's not concrete gender serves as a way to give a connection to people who just start their transistioning and don't want to be fit in an exact bracket like Dragona, WHICH WAS LITERALLY THE WHOLE POINT OF CONFLICT IN THEIR BACKSTORY. I know we suck at reading comprehension, but I just need to let this out in some way. I absolutely love Jojolands and Araki's creations and really love that even now we still see him approach new styles and territories and what not. I seriously don't bear any ill-will with this messege to any community, I just want to point out my observation, which we need to create since as time goes by our understanding of this community needs to be always more open and better.
Apr 27, 11:54 PM

Jan 2017
Flomik said:
French editor of JoJo confirms (?) that Dragona is trans

Dunno about you guys, but here in France, we never had any doubts about that.

He's described as a biological male, but dress up and acts like a female. Such people are commonly called "Travelo" in France, but it's seen as a very pejorative word; an insult (with the English equivalent being Shemale). The "nice" word considered an equivalent here is Trans. Does he actually consider himself as one or not, we totally not care, as that's how the others see him as.

Honestly, France is still very new with all that Trans/Non-binary thing (and almost the entirety of LGBTQIA+ tree, anyway), and most of the population (including me) are rather distant over all of that, so it's not a surprise we may not use the words in the same context as you.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 28, 8:32 AM
Jul 2020
Have you not been reading part 9 😭😭😭why would you need this confirmed by an editor
If we kill all our enemies, will we finally be free?
Apr 30, 7:26 AM
evil egg

Nov 2009
we done been known ...
May 13, 2:05 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to Nats482
There is absolutelty no exact official confirmation that they're trans. I will definetly get misunderstood with this messege, but I need to write it. First of all, the source of this info is some random editor from France who just noted his own observation and everybody seems to already go with it like gospel, when I'm pretty sure that that guy probably wasn't even near the prefecture Araki hails from, much less him at all, and as such I doubt he would even get this info from him.

Second of all, Dragona's characterization I believe is more meant to fit a person who is not gender-affirmate at that time rather then fit an exact bracket of a specific gender. I honestly believe that such "non-specific" characterization at that time is way more poignant and important rather then them being all confirmed, and it just shows Araki's compassion and understanding to the entire trans community.

Dragona's not concrete gender serves as a way to give a connection to people who just start their transistioning and don't want to be fit in an exact bracket like Dragona, WHICH WAS LITERALLY THE WHOLE POINT OF CONFLICT IN THEIR BACKSTORY. I know we suck at reading comprehension, but I just need to let this out in some way. I absolutely love Jojolands and Araki's creations and really love that even now we still see him approach new styles and territories and what not. I seriously don't bear any ill-will with this messege to any community, I just want to point out my observation, which we need to create since as time goes by our understanding of this community needs to be always more open and better.
@Nats482 I just caught up with Jojolands and it does seem like Dragona is gender queer to some extent. I wanted to believe they were trans feminine as I also heard about the french editor, and I myself am a transfem, but I've seen some sites and people refer to them as just genderfluid or genderqueer and I think that's a fitting label to leave it at for now. I was thinking the same thing as you though, it definitely seems like Dragona is just figuring their identity out during the story and I'm all for it. Though I would love it if Araki at some point wrote in Dragona acknowledging their identity and coming out later!
May 13, 10:44 PM
Oct 2023
BigBigFigWasp said:
@Nats482 I just caught up with Jojolands and it does seem like Dragona is gender queer to some extent. I wanted to believe they were trans feminine as I also heard about the french editor, and I myself am a transfem, but I've seen some sites and people refer to them as just genderfluid or genderqueer and I think that's a fitting label to leave it at for now. I was thinking the same thing as you though, it definitely seems like Dragona is just figuring their identity out during the story and I'm all for it. Though I would love it if Araki at some point wrote in Dragona acknowledging their identity and coming out later!

Tbh I also thought that their transistioning could serve as a way of ending their character development at a certain point. Really glad you responded to me and that I could also get such insight from someone like you.

More topics from this board

Poll: » JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 9: The JoJoLands Chapter 9 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 16, 2023

25 by Deepmagic »»
May 29, 7:25 PM

Poll: » JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 9: The JoJoLands Chapter 15 Discussion

MegamiRem - May 16

11 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 21, 11:31 PM

» JOJOLands bingo

Mirai_Kuromaru - Feb 15, 2023

34 by Mirai_Kuromaru »»
May 17, 4:01 AM

» Can I read JOJOLAND even if i didn't read the previous part ?

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 8

41 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
May 11, 2:27 AM

Poll: » JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 9: The JoJoLands Chapter 14 Discussion

MegamiRem - Apr 18

12 by DaBestWatcher »»
Apr 23, 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.