Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 7:00 PM

Jul 2017
Igarashi going fishing with Tonbo and Grandpa Gon, he's feeling the seasickness, but despite circumstances, Tonbo's footing is also attributed to her barefootedness when catching fish.

The village people not knowing Igarashi being a former pro golfer, he does the bare minimum that's not to her usual standards. but that's for show. Using a wedge does help in cutting own the strokes, and that's his goal of making her use one...by switching out her components for his with the wedge, which belonged to his son Rintaro, at a time where his own career wasn't flourishing that well and taking his own anger against him.

Tonbo's unorthodox golf skills keeps on surprising Igarashi as he teaches her how to use a wedge, even on a wind-heavy climate, plus all of the cool tricks that only a wedge can do. At the same time, he earned a partner through Tonbo, who brought him back to the fun of playing golf.

Good for Igarashi to recapture his lost love for golf.
Apr 19, 8:02 PM
Sep 2015
This doesn't make me want to play golf but to go to a beautiful island instead.
Apr 19, 8:47 PM
Mar 2021
I wonder if she plays in a kids tournament soon. she'll easily win that
Apr 19, 9:03 PM

Feb 2020
This show is criminally underrated. Truly a hidden gem of the season.

Poor Rintaro. Igaiga was way too harsh towards him. I'm sure he could have become a decent player. Anyway, at least Igaiga likes to play golf again, so I'm happy for him.

I want to visit that island. It looks such a nice place.

SerafosApr 27, 12:46 AM
Apr 19, 9:59 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Aww, I feel so bad for Igarashi's son :((( Igarashi also regrets what he said to his son and knows he was just taking his frustration out on him...but yeah, sucks that someone who started to love the sport quit because his own father didn't believe in him.

Glad to see Tonbo having even more fun with the wedge! She loves challenges and figuring things out, and she's good at it, too. I can see why Igarashi seems to want her talents to be shown outside of the island, most people will have a hard time not seeing that as a "waste" of talent. She's really happy where she is at the moment though, and he's having fun with his first golf partner ever ^^
Apr 20, 1:51 AM

Sep 2018
Really good start to this show, it's probably one of my favs of this season tbh. Gets very technical at times, yet manages to keep that fun vibe going. Enjoyable partnership these two have going atm, a down on his luck former player finding a diamond in the rough.
Apr 20, 5:28 AM

Mar 2021
Really loving this show the island looks so beautiful and that sunset at the end was amazing.
Apr 20, 12:34 PM

Jun 2012
I spent the first two episodes of this series judging it based on the very-basic animation quality (especially had a hard time not being distracted by the very-flat CG texturing of the grass and island's features,) but this episode definitely warmed my cold dead overly-judgmental heart.

I dabble in artistry and content creation, and this episode REALLY hit home with its deep talk about Rintaro quitting golf due to Igaiga making it lose the fun for him, plus Tonbo re-teaching Igaiga that golf can be fun and isn't just about performance and following a strict regimented set of rules.

These are heady topics, and they hit EXACTLY where I needed them to at this point in my own artistic journey. Major credits to this show for taking all of the negative expectations I had based on its production quality, and throwing them out the window. It has officially won me over with its charm and its heartwarming character writing.
Apr 20, 2:32 PM

Mar 2023
I already knew a lot about golf, but learning about the special birds on the island makes me feel happy. Turns out the Robin is a real bird, and has protected status on the islands.
Apr 21, 10:24 AM
May 2018
This anime was so boring that I fell asleep while watching it.
Apr 21, 3:03 PM

Nov 2013
Tonbo really knows when Igaiga is playing or when he is just pretending to play lol
Igaiga wanted her to try the different club so he tried the trick of changing the handles, interesting
they kept having fun trying new tricks, and it sure was fun to see Igaiga using the golf ball in a similar way that football players use the ball to do tricks like "around the world"
Tonbo says she will never leave the island, but her fate might be to go around the world and be a pro golfer... or so is Igaiga's idea... will it happen?

this anime easily passes the 3 episode rules without any doubt, one of my favorites so far
fav "new" girls from spring <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Apr 22, 9:03 AM

May 2015
I like the feel of this show, it's relaxing but doesn't lack a compelling story too. We get some backstory for Igaiga, it'd be nice if he gets to heal his wounds after all.
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Feb 2023
This show makes me cry sometimes. If it weren't for Konosuba, this would definitely be AOTS for me!!!
Apr 27, 10:42 AM

Jan 2016
I accidently skipped this episode. This explains her two clubs.
So Igaiga came to the option not just to escape golf (ironically) like was assumed, but to recover from his self-inflicted trauma by being an awful father to his son.

Both characters really need to mentally recocover/improve in their own areas. Igaiga with being a bit of a jerk, and Tonbo with complete block to leaving island.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ooi! Tonbo Episode 8 Discussion

Csend - May 24

5 by WollenbergGaard »»
May 29, 11:38 AM

» Episode count?

Jokuc - May 24

2 by AnimeFan500 »»
May 26, 6:17 PM

Poll: » Ooi! Tonbo Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - May 17

5 by kuroneko99 »»
May 20, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Ooi! Tonbo Episode 6 Discussion

Ten - May 10

9 by SISCON97 »»
May 18, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Ooi! Tonbo Episode 5 Discussion

Serafos - May 3

11 by BearTheDoge »»
May 8, 9:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.