Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 8, 9:02 PM
Jan 2016
Hi there, what the title says, IMO Im very disappointed with the animation and drawings in general, here are my thoughts:
1. I have watched the anime from 2008, and I have read the manga, also Im currently reading the light novel.
2. I love that this remake is telling the complete story, and how is being told.
3. I know that character designs are more accurate to the LN than the old anime, that is not my complaint, Im actually starting to like them (except when they are deformed LOL).
4. I think that Passione Studio doesn't have the resources to make a decent animation, or maybe they don't want to, I don't know, but I feel that a lot of drawings and the animation are lacking details in general, beside the horrible 3D that they are using, we are in 2024 come on, I mean the horse is the weirdest creature in the show and the wolves in chapter 2 shocked me.
5. The show doesn't even have a lot of action, but even in quiet scenes, characters are deformed, and the animation when talk or move an arm is weird.

I'll keep watching the show, because I love the story, but animation is making me feel uncomfortable sometimes, I think this anime needed a better studio what do you guys think about it?

Li4BApr 8, 9:06 PM
Apr 8, 9:10 PM

Apr 2021
It looks fine. Nothing incredible, nothing terrible. Don't see where those "deformed characters" are. They are perfectly normal.

At worst, I would say the credits might indicate that production is being rough: four chief animation directors, 12 regular ADs, and 5 assistant ADs only for the second episode, but nothing looks too glaringly bad yet.
OongbuhApr 8, 9:26 PM
Apr 8, 9:17 PM
Jul 2022
I agree with the stranger above. I don't think is particularly bad, in fact I'd even say it's slightly above average.
Seriously, take a look at some of the low-rated seasonals and you may be able to better appreciate average production.
Apr 8, 10:03 PM

Dec 2021
I somewhat agree. However, the animation is not exactly bad, rather pretty average. But with what are we comparing? Frieren?

"𝑰𝒇 π’‚π’π’šπ’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝑰 π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’π’π’† π’˜π’‰π’ π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’” 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’π’Šπ’Œπ’†π’”, 𝑰 π’ˆπ’–π’†π’”π’”?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
β†Ί |◁ II β–·| β™‘

Apr 9, 12:11 AM
Feb 2020
idk new looks slightly better than the old version. It wasn't even anything anything special in terms of animation or art style in the old version.
Apr 9, 2:52 AM
Jan 2019
Not really, the series is all about the dialogue and interactions and they've been doing that fantastic along with the music so I have nothing to complain about. It's not like the OG had crazy animation either, they're both about average or slightly above for their respective generation.
Apr 9, 4:19 AM

Dec 2015
What is going to make or break this remake isn't the animation. It's going to be the direction and how they bring the interactions between Lawrence and Holo from text into these 25 episodes. And in that aspect, this remake is already winning.
Apr 9, 5:11 AM
Sep 2010
This remake is a sad reminder of the diminishing capabilities of the animation industry in Japan due to overwork and the resulting talent drain. While the original was nothing special production-wise, it holds up 15 years later because it just had more polish than the majority of seasonals receive today.
Apr 9, 5:18 AM

Sep 2016
It seems new Holo looks somewhat less mature/more youthful than the original, but it's not a bad thing because she still is incredibly seductive.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 9, 5:49 AM

Oct 2013
Yeah i'm not a fan, between the horrid cgi, some of the shittier backgrounds (especially the one in the first episode with the harvest festival, which was not only hard to watch the first time, but then also became increasingly horrid to watch due to all the following flashbacks from that scene, you'd think they'd put more effort in if they're gonna use it so much!) and some of the clearly low budget scenes with horrid linework and deformed bits, the art's really falling apart hard. More than that, the new style is bad, i don't really care if its closer to the original or not (not to mention 'close' is still not 'similar', far from it in this case in fact, so its pointless to argue how it makes it more faithful or better, its still TOO different from the original), the way its done is really damn sloppy, the more modern tech and drawing methods like digital gradient shading all over is the only thing saving it from looking like a complete trainwreck. I don't care if people think its 'ok' or 'fine', this series DESERVES BETTER, especially with how random no name stuff or stuff that's not nearly as good or popular as spice and wolf keeps getting better treatment.
Apr 9, 8:12 AM
Feb 2021
idk dude, looks pretty good to me
Apr 9, 8:23 AM
Oct 2023
I don't agree with this probably but animation is average not bad and not good, if it is good animation we called it a masterpiece like frieren Beyond Journey's End but it has good sound track
Apr 9, 8:31 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Chronon
I somewhat agree. However, the animation is not exactly bad, rather pretty average. But with what are we comparing? Frieren?
@Chronon Novel has the same art style so y'all Spice and Wolf fans are saying the original Holo's is average? I just don't get these fans, the first adaptation is great and all but don't be blinded by nostalgia please. The remake has waaaay better aspects as well.

Apr 9, 8:47 AM
Jun 2023
I feel like it looks good for the kind of anime it is.
Apr 9, 1:11 PM
Mar 2024
I think I prefer some design choices made by the older adaptation (like making Holo looks more mature, the current one stick closer to LN design), I also do prefer the older adaptation color palette. It was darker and more contrasted, it was especially good at handling lighting to create intimate mood. But purely animation wise it's objectively better than what we had in 2008. Sure this new adaptation animation doesn't hold a candle to Frieren's animation quality but it's still pretty good, nowhere near as bad as OP make it sounds.
Personally, the animation quality is more than enough for me to enjoy the show that's was my favorite for many years :)
Apr 9, 2:04 PM
Apr 2014
This is actually very high quality for 2024, the problem isn't so much that they aren't doing their best, it is that there is not enough money and time invested into projects as well as skilled animators today to produce works as high quality as during the late 00s early 10s where a lot of the higher quality digital pieces were made. There are certain aspects about the character art that are not appealing at all to me, specifically Passione's way of drawing hair is just to bright and blobby, doesn't feel like real hair at all to me.

I should also point out your deformed argument is just bad and very limiting to art as a whole. Deformed/super deformed is a key element to a lot of good anime, and it is not even really used here, I would even say one of the reasons I still lean heavily towards the original is because of the deformities and how much more mysterious the world feels in comparison by being a little more abstract with some its art.

Animation itself is fine overall. Sound direction is decent. The interactions are still good. It really isn't bad for a remake as long as they intend to follow the source material more closely and adapt it to the end. I might not end up thinking it is better, but as of now this is in the upper end of quality for current times, so I can at least respect the attempt. I will judge it with the original in mind when scoring but at the same time I won't sit here and say the quality is terrible, because I know if this was a new seasonal this would be considered excellent quality easily. This sort of says more about the state of modern anime as a whole though than anything I think.
Apr 9, 3:37 PM

Dec 2019
Very mediocre but for a series like this, not the most important factor about it.
Apr 9, 3:44 PM
Aug 2018
It looks perfectly fine. People who are complaining about it are high on nostalgia. The original anime didn't look better, not even for its time.
Apr 9, 6:20 PM

Dec 2023
Reply to muzlee01
It looks perfectly fine. People who are complaining about it are high on nostalgia. The original anime didn't look better, not even for its time.
@muzlee01 I 100% agree. The original had some decent animation for it's characters and such. But even for 2008 the background art was pretty bad and it's quality varied a bit much in S1 tho S2 was maybe a bit better. Given the quality of animation we're getting here I'm more than happy with the remake. So far the animation likely isn't gonna be super impressive or be the strongest point in this show but it is certainly NOT bad. Besides considering what Spice and Wolf is the animation isn't the main selling point anyways. I'm also releived they decided against doing "fan service" and such. I would've been disappointed with this remake had they added more "details" to it than the original and I was actually worried they would given this studio's other works yikes! So long as the animation and art stays pretty consistent with what I've seen so far and doesn't drop off massively I'm looking at you here poor Helck adaption I'm gonna be eating really good this season.
Apr 10, 5:56 AM

May 2019
Is it "your typical Shounen" level?

If not, so the art/animation is not BAD. Maybe meh, but not bad.
Apr 10, 6:04 AM
Aug 2021
it LOOKS fine, for me.
Apr 10, 6:50 AM

May 2018
The animation is very good, I would say it is easily above average.
The design is beautiful and much more faithful to the original.
The animation is much better than the old version, and that's noticeable. The fluidity of the characters in mundane scenes is very good.
It's just CG that isn't good, but it isn't used much either.
Honestly, few studios would do a better job than this.
Apr 10, 9:45 AM

Aug 2023
Love the story and worldbuilding but always despised the old artstyle. I'm really happy its getting a remake, it can end up as a potential 9/10 for me now.
Apr 10, 2:23 PM

Jun 2016
It looks okay and while I think Spice and Wolf is popular enough to warrant an Adaptation that looks a lot better, who is to say anyone else would've actually picked it up even less give it 25eps without rushed pacing. If this is the quality we're getting for a full adaptation I can make peace with that since everything else about this adaptation is rock solid as of now and since the Source is an all time great the end result will also be great with it's current trajectory.

But if this doesn't adapt further than the original I will gladly just return to that.
baahh.
Apr 10, 2:25 PM

Nov 2020
The animation in the first episode looked very good, but in the second episode there is a noticeable decline, unfortunately, the most important thing is that the story is good
Apr 10, 3:34 PM

Jul 2017
It's very average. Some shots look fine, some good in the first episode like the first couple minutes. But there are zoomed out shots used that look a bit shit, visuals used in heavy dialogue that look a bit iffy at times, weak looking backgrounds, poor CGI at times, a lot of the anime looking way too bright and anemic looking (especially with Holo at times) and fluidity in parts looking a bit inconsistent. Even the original anime to be fair was not perfect whatsoever in this department but for 2024, it looks more noticeable here.

To be fair with Passione, I didn't expect a masterpiece visually from it given the track record. My expectations in fact, were really low. This adaptation in two episodes visually has had plenty of issues but I wouldn't say it looks terrible and irredeemable, just a bit low budget. In the sequences that have mattered, they have done a decent enough job like the first 2 minutes and Holo's transformation in episode 1 to give it a bit of a shot. At least the content and characters are there to make sure the anime even at its ugliest, has redeemable stuff to it to keep viewers somewhat interested.
Apr 10, 3:35 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
A massive downgrade. Why didn't they bring the character designer from the 2000s version, he's still active.
Apr 10, 5:21 PM

Nov 2019
The CGI-ed animals look terrible, but I can only blame the animators who didn't even go outside to observe things.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 10, 5:57 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to LeonhartAugust
A massive downgrade. Why didn't they bring the character designer from the 2000s version, he's still active.
@LeonhartAugust Bringing Kazuya Kuroda back wouldn't necessarily mean the designs would look exactly like the 2008 anime. Even taking aside the obvious point of his style changing after a decade, you have to take in account the changes in coloring/composite that have drastically changed over the years.
Apr 11, 12:23 AM
Jan 2018
The original director is the managing director at passione so it’s a high chance that’s why the studio is doing it.

So I doubt any other studio would have got it.

The CGI animals is most likely they weren’t given enough time to animate them or too difficult.

The characters designs being inconsistent could be that no one had time to go back and check them, anyway the designs are rarely consistent during an ongoing airing show. It’s usually when the blue-ray/Dvd comes out that they go back and make corrections.
Mattinator95Apr 11, 12:29 AM
Apr 11, 2:29 AM
Nov 2018
The animation is beautiful... people complaining must be drunk or something
Apr 11, 10:40 PM
Apr 2020
I mean I didn't really notice anything, but either way does the animation really have to be that good? Like the visuals definitely aren't the selling point of spice and wolf
Apr 12, 7:24 AM
Jul 2022
I don't think it's bad, but it ain't that good either. I honestly hoped for better production for a big show like this. But I'm still enjoying the show so far.
Apr 13, 12:04 AM
Feb 2024
i love they "modern" style but you are right in action scenes they kinda skip frames or something and then it looks weird
Apr 13, 8:53 PM
Jan 2013
Has the same issue I felt with the Fruits Basket reboot, the older shows have more character and personality with their art and animation. Makes the characters feel more bland nowadays.
Apr 14, 3:20 PM

May 2019
Jeez the old animation style was hella generic for its time. So far animation is great yall just can't move forward.
Apr 14, 6:30 PM

Sep 2013
Its sad that it was passione that have adapted this. They have never had a successful project before and I am worried this will become like their other projects.
If it was cloverworks it would've been so much better

Apr 15, 1:48 AM
Aug 2021
I didn't even notice the cg... any complaints about it I've seen are more nitpicks then anything. Also people learn differences between animation and artstyle please (artstyle looks great in both versions imo, prefer some of the colouring on Holo here though)
Apr 15, 10:13 AM

Jan 2014
The modernize of it of course is going to hit different than the classic version of course. It's still good though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Yesterday

33 by Meta_Yoshi »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

59 by MegamiRem »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

74 by MegamiRem »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

122 by MegamiRem »»
Yesterday, 4:35 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

97 by MegamiRem »»
Yesterday, 4:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.