Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 2, 2:30 PM
Apr 2021
Am I the only one who thinks that Holo has little bit of different personality then compared to original anime?

I feel like in original one she was not that much affectionate, from start.
Apr 2, 2:51 PM
Feb 2016
I think everything in the new anime looks plain, as if the creators didn’t try very hard and were making just another isekai.
The old anime tried to immediately brightly show Holo's personality. While here the characters just spout off dialogue lines.
The same can be seen in the direction, background music (or rather, lack of it) and everything else.
Apr 2, 2:58 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to Veschiy
I think everything in the new anime looks plain, as if the creators didn’t try very hard and were making just another isekai.
The old anime tried to immediately brightly show Holo's personality. While here the characters just spout off dialogue lines.
The same can be seen in the direction, background music (or rather, lack of it) and everything else.
@Veschiy Are we watching the same show? Kevin Penkin was cooking the whole episode. I rewinded several times to listen to the background music again because it was so good.
Apr 2, 2:59 PM

Sep 2014
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's not the original.
Apr 2, 3:02 PM
Feb 2014
Reply to Veschiy
@Veschiy You have major nostalgia goggles on dude. The remake so far is even more true to the source material, even adding additional content. Also the music slapped.
Apr 2, 3:04 PM
Feb 2016
Reply to delirific
@Veschiy Are we watching the same show? Kevin Penkin was cooking the whole episode. I rewinded several times to listen to the background music again because it was so good.
@delirific alright, maybe I was too harsh on the music because I was disappointed by everything else. Though the way it was placed throughout the episode did seem strange to me.
Apr 2, 3:17 PM
Feb 2016
Reply to AnimeFlyz
@Veschiy You have major nostalgia goggles on dude. The remake so far is even more true to the source material, even adding additional content. Also the music slapped.
@AnimeFlyz It is closer to the original source. But in my opinion, following the book too literally can be bad for the film. These are two different media with different tempo and ways of influencing the viewer.
Maybe I’m really wrong to judge based on one episode (and I hope so).
Apr 2, 3:22 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to Veschiy
@delirific alright, maybe I was too harsh on the music because I was disappointed by everything else. Though the way it was placed throughout the episode did seem strange to me.
@Veschiy This is the reason why whenever I see people saying "I didn't like X, Y, Z, W and everything else" I can immediately tell they're full of shit. What they usually really mean is "I didn't like X but I need to list many things just to make it look worse".
Apr 2, 3:23 PM

Oct 2008
Reply to AnimeFlyz
@AnimeFlyz I have to agree here. Even the director from the original anime from back then is directing the show now so, any "precieved" differences are most likely due to lack of konwledge of the source material and basing expectations purely on the older version which was a bit more loose adapatation.

Of course, preferences may varry and there will definitely be people who preffer the older version but I´d give it a chance before writingg it off.

Alternativey, just go read the original 17 LN Volumes and comapre both version afterwards.
"Dream of nothing and wake to a dream come true."

Apr 2, 3:30 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Veschiy
@Veschiy

I saw the original Version of Episode 1 and this one and I have to say: The Remake Version is better in every department, imo
Apr 2, 3:46 PM

Dec 2022
Anyway, regarding Holo's personality - compared to the first episode of the old version, the main difference seems to simply be that the VA is using a higher pitch in the new version which may make it feel more "affectionate" when it's actually basically the same.
Apr 2, 3:55 PM
Feb 2024
lol, sure it's not exactly like the original anime, but it also doesn't tries to be. And since there are a lot of original people involved it is pretty accurate and i am totally fine how they managed it
Apr 2, 4:03 PM
Feb 2020
TO EVERYONE READING!!!! If you read the novels you will note that holo and Lawrence are indeed more affectionate at the start and even more flirtatious, BUT merely as close friends. If you have ever had a close female friend, you most likely know what I’m talking about. To someone who doesn’t know what that’s like it can look like love when in reality it’s not. It’s still slow paced if it follows books, but in its own way. As they’re merely very very close friends as Lawrence was very lonely as was she thus sharing a great deal of pain and kinship over the pain. Hope this helps πŸ‘ (thus yes she has a different personality and so will Lawrence. Those who say there is little to no difference between the LN and og anime are full of shit as Lawrence and Holos personality’s are quite different from the anime. Thus if they follow the books we gain understanding over more complex and emotional characters with slightly different personalities.) this new remake will be lit stop shitting on it so much for the smallest stupidest shit. Some changes are for the best, you may never know until you seen it all. “Ignorance is a sin after all”
Apr 2, 4:43 PM
Feb 2020
Dije said:
@delirific So many people praise Kevin Penkin but imho this guy is really overrated. Maybe it's your bias because he is a western. But yeah, I think original soundtrack was better. Tried to listen Kevin Penkin track he made for multiple anime and seems pretty average to me

Not like starting anything here, but you’re the first I’ve heard that from. Just interesting is all. Personally for me I LOVE his music and didn’t even know he was a westerner till you mentioned it lol. I think his music for made in abyss is peak. I struggle with the og soundtrack so much due to repetitive songs (they use the same ones over and over) you don’t really ever see that in works where Kevin is involved. Overall I really like the Germanic European renaissance music vibes it’s so cool.
Apr 2, 4:49 PM

Nov 2019
KryzakamiHrybami said:

I mean, the performance of her VA did flesh out more characters in the original run.

For example, when she asked Lawrence if he had any liquor, her speech pattern made it a sounding, irresistable favour, while that of the remake fell flat.
SgtBateManApr 2, 4:54 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 2, 5:04 PM

Apr 2020
Dije said:
@Astrid_Bear Well, imho the original were very fitting with the atmosphere that the story was trying to narrate. With Penkin I feel like I'm playing The Witcher 3. Totally out of context, plus he's embarrassing, has zero creativity. Here, as I already said, he tried to copy The Witcher 3, in Shield Hero he tried (in a poor way) to copy Sawano. I found the entire Gemini track, including the video, to be really cringe, honestly. But even if he is taking inspiration/copying, he makes banal tracks that don't stand out in anything... very overrated imho

🀦🏻‍♀️ The hell did I just read?

My dude…you watched 20 Anime in your lifetime. Doing that and playing Witcher 3 made you an expert on this stuff? o.O

Have some respect for the guy. That‘s only fair, considering you‘re stealing his stuff and then shit on him, online…no? xD
Apr 2, 5:07 PM

Nov 2019
delirific said:

Of course we're not watching the same show. Human perception varies from one to another.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 2, 5:09 PM

Apr 2020
SgtBateMan said:
delirific said:

Of course we're not watching the same show. Human perception varies from one to another.

His point: There are objective truths. Like production quality.

Your Point: Taste is subjective. We‘re all different.
Apr 2, 5:11 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to Merve2Love
SgtBateMan said:
delirific said:

His point: There are objective truths. Like production quality.

Your Point: Taste is subjective. We‘re all different.
@Merve2Love it depends on the judge, right? =))

Apr 2, 5:12 PM

Apr 2020
SgtBateMan said:

i think the word „objective“ answers that question- but sure^^
Apr 2, 5:15 PM

Dec 2022
Reply to SgtBateMan
delirific said:

@SgtBateMan "Lack of background music" is not subjective when it's present for more than half the runtime of the episode and slightly more than in the first episode of the old version, which they are comparing it against. It's literally one of the few specific things you can measure in numbers.
Apr 2, 5:17 PM

Nov 2019
Merve2Love said:
SgtBateMan said:

lol, that dude played the monotone BGM for the entirety of the first 'actual' conversation between Holo and Lawrence, and it's distracting as hell. That's 'objective' production quality, I do believe.

@delirific
SgtBateManApr 2, 5:21 PM

Apr 2, 5:31 PM
Nov 2010
I really liked it and I feel the rest of the show will be very good. It seems to fallow LN well but I do expect some manga elements ,maybe. Only time will tell, I hope people give it a chance.
Apr 2, 5:42 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to SgtBateMan
Merve2Love said:
SgtBateMan said:

lol, that dude played the monotone BGM for the entirety of the first 'actual' conversation between Holo and Lawrence, and it's distracting as hell. That's 'objective' production quality, I do believe.

@delirific
@SgtBateMan It is objective that the music wasn't super in your face, but what is subjective is whether or not you prefer that style. From my viewpoint a subdued soundtrack in the middle of the night with a conversation meant to be atmospheric is a good thing. Sometimes a lack of music in general can greatly enhance a scene too.

The first show is more intense while the new remake is more majestic so to speak. I think they both fit. It just depends on what you are trying to convey. But just because the music is more subdued doesn't somehow make it more distracting necessarily. That is subjective per viewer.
Apr 2, 6:29 PM
Feb 2020
This is the most violent I’ve ever seen this community since the days of olden (Horo vs Holo) these debates are getting stupid tho. Like people can have opinions on shit idk why some people wanna attack half the god damn community cuz it’s simply not what they wanted? Overall it’s goofy that it’s like this. Meanwhile I’m just happy we even got a damn season at all cuz I never thought we would. (This is not just this discussion but all the damn discussions on this site surrounding this anime currently. To those with unpopular opinions that are not being rude, thank you and I appreciate you and your opinion because you’re not a douche)
Apr 2, 7:06 PM

Mar 2018
Reply to Veschiy
bait used to be believable
Apr 2, 8:26 PM

Jul 2012
I forgot how much of a following this has on MAL and how many people have a strange attachment to one version of Holo. I think we should be glad that were getting more in this universe, more art, more story!
Apr 2, 8:49 PM
Mar 2008
I was not sure what I would think if this Horo compared to the original Spice and Wolf. But I did not mind her looks that much after all.

However I have fond memories of Horo being much more flirtatious and teasing Lawrence. I hope that will be stepped up in the following episodes as that is what made Horo such a great character.

I hope that this version will be equal as great as the original. And I really hope it will get a ton of popularity so we will get additonal seasons and a ending of the anime instead of having to pick mangas/light novels.

Also whats up with people hating/dooming on a series after just one episode... Spice and Wolf was never an anime to blow you head off from just 1 episodes. It just keeps on building on you.
Apr 2, 9:06 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to Merve2Love
@Veschiy

I saw the original Version of Episode 1 and this one and I have to say: The Remake Version is better in every department, imo
@Merve2Love Same here. I also watched the old version after checking out the latest episode. Remake version is definitely better.
Apr 2, 9:46 PM

Dec 2021
I'm still stuck with nostalgia. I probably don't want the new round and cute Holo with a brighter color tone.

Her personality does feel different. However, Her personality is perfect for the overall atmosphere of the series. New Holo won't suit in the old one and old Holo won't suit in the new series. The remake is more bright and colorful. So a comparatively more affectionate Holo fits well. The old series was quite gloomy.

I don't think there is anything wrong with music, or animation. It looks good and refreshing.

"𝑰𝒇 π’‚π’π’šπ’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝑰 π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’π’π’† π’˜π’‰π’ π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’” 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’π’Šπ’Œπ’†π’”, 𝑰 π’ˆπ’–π’†π’”π’”?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
β†Ί |◁ II β–·| β™‘

Apr 3, 5:27 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to Calal-Chan
@SgtBateMan It is objective that the music wasn't super in your face, but what is subjective is whether or not you prefer that style. From my viewpoint a subdued soundtrack in the middle of the night with a conversation meant to be atmospheric is a good thing. Sometimes a lack of music in general can greatly enhance a scene too.

The first show is more intense while the new remake is more majestic so to speak. I think they both fit. It just depends on what you are trying to convey. But just because the music is more subdued doesn't somehow make it more distracting necessarily. That is subjective per viewer.
Calal-Chan said:
From my viewpoint a subdued soundtrack in the middle of the night with a conversation meant to be atmospheric is a good thing

I doubt it was a good thing since you couldn't even hear sounds of the night in the forest, even when the dude woke up and turned off the overplayed background thingy. High production and artistic value, I guess.
SgtBateManApr 3, 5:39 AM

Apr 3, 6:23 AM

May 2016
Reply to delirific
Anyway, regarding Holo's personality - compared to the first episode of the old version, the main difference seems to simply be that the VA is using a higher pitch in the new version which may make it feel more "affectionate" when it's actually basically the same.
@delirific Gotta moe-ify everything nowadays
Apr 4, 8:24 AM

Sep 2012
Reply to KryzakamiHrybami
@KryzakamiHrybami the other1 was not original cause it was less faithful to the LN but so far this seems more faithful to LN making this1 the original
Apr 4, 10:47 AM

Nov 2012
Reply to Sugram22
@KryzakamiHrybami the other1 was not original cause it was less faithful to the LN but so far this seems more faithful to LN making this1 the original
@Sugram22 ...that doesnt make any sense. there are now two animes of spice and wolf, one of them came first, thats THE original.
Apr 4, 11:12 AM

Sep 2012
Reply to mitchhamilton
@Sugram22 ...that doesnt make any sense. there are now two animes of spice and wolf, one of them came first, thats THE original.
@mitchhamilton original is the one that stays more faithful to the source, a lot more

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Yesterday

42 by metatron13 »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 3

51 by MegamiRem »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

68 by MegamiRem »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

75 by LuisSV23 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

59 by MegamiRem »»
Today, 6:59 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.